| Welcome to Pgh Transit Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| Hundreds Of Thousands Could Be Without Internet Service Come July | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Apr 23 2012, 10:38 PM (139 Views) | |
| Jonesy | Apr 23 2012, 10:38 PM Post #1 |
![]()
Site Administrator
|
http://www.wtae.com/news/30942830/detail.html PITTSBURGH -- Hundreds of thousands of Internet users could be without service this summer when servers designed to protect them from hackers will be turned off. The FBI has encouraged users to visit a website run by its security partner, DCWG, to find out if their computers have been infected and how to fix them. (Note: The DCWG website may be temporarily down. Keep trying if you get an error message.) An estimated 350,000 unsuspecting users could be affected when the servers shut down July 9. "That anti-virus software only goes so far, and there are so many ways to get around because people are getting smarter and smarter," said computer owner Rachel Neff. The FBI set up the security blanket for users when international hackers used an online advertising scam to take control of their computers. Users were attacked when they unknowingly clicked ads that were actually contaminated, allowing hackers to take control of victims' computers using their own servers. When a user typed in a desired website, the hackers redirected them to a fraudulent version of the real site. The hackers were then able to set up advertisers on the fraudulent sites. The FBI said the hackers earned $14 million from the ads that appeared on the sites. "It's invasion of privacy and personal space. They should definitely be punished for it," said computer owner Andrew Krueger. The FBI shut down the Internet fraud ring in November during a sting known as "Operation Ghost Click." Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/30942830/detail.html#ixzz1svCjZQXo |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · Mix It Up · Next Topic » |







4:42 AM Jul 11