---
Moderators – 5
---
Members – 871
---
Total Members - 880

-------------------------

Please give a special thanks to our TESTERS for helping us set up the forums, and find any issues we had to fix! Without them we wouldn’t have this open for you!
Thanks to our special helper on this large scale project, whom of which without their help, this wouldn't be possible!
And of course, THANKS TO EVERYONE!!

New announcements are constantly released! Make sure you always check the Announcements forum for new topics. You'll get your notices there, and updates of anything going on. In addition to that, we're always trying new things, which is why the forum always gets tweaked. If you have suggestions, be sure to submit them in the Suggestions forum!

Remember to check 'The Pizza Office' section of the forum (or contact an Admin or Mod) about the rules, or if you have any questions and/or suggestions!

If you wish to have your name changed, please request a Change of Username from your Profile.

If you need any help, be sure to contact ANYONE on the staff team, via PM! You can find the staff names on the left side scroller!!

We would like to extend a very big Congratulations to our 2 newest mods, Jack and Isaiah!

10/10/14
The GRAND "RE"-Opening of the forum is TODAY!! October 10th! This new and inviting atmosphere was recreated with a cool new look for all users, past/present/future to touch back with their old roots!! Hope you like it here, at the RETRO PIZZA ZONE!!

2/8/15
There's always new things happening on the forums, and y'all are helping it bloom faster than a flower in Spring! Don't forget to check out your favorite topics, and continue the conversations!

--/--/15
WE HAD A BLAST setting this up for you all! On the center scroller, you see us thanking everyone on the staff team, but we should be thanking you! THE FANS! You inspired us to touch back to our roots, with a LARGER "play area", with more to talk about, more to do, and more people to see! We surely hope you enjoy it here, and even share about this new era!

8/8/15
As we aim to make your experience more enjoyable, we're always trying out new things!! In the near future, there MIGHT be some new things coming to light, as we help to make this place what it should be! As well, I'm marking this day as the day some updates happened!! XD The Member scroller has been updated, and things are in the works!!

4/1/16
THIS IS MY FORUM, AND I'M TAKING OVER, WITH AS MUCH CHEESE AS I WANT!! I HOPE Y'ALL ENJOY YOUR STAY, HERE ON MY FORUM!!! CHEESE!! CHEESE!! CHEESE!!

4/1/16
We got the forums back, and it's been a very eventful day!! We think Rick needs a bit of a break though, and during that time, be sure to check out the new theme!!

2/23/17
Ladies and gentlemen, we'd like to announce that we've updated a few things! Feel free to extend a congratulations to our new mods, and continue to have fun!

Welcome to Retro Pizza Zone. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You must be at least 16 years old or older, unless approved by an Admin.

As well, refrain from using character names for roleplay, and try to refrain from using company names.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Tex Critter's Show Restoration
Topic Started: May 16 2016, 10:24 PM (3,923 Views)
Cavity Sam
Member Avatar
Don't Smoke Crayolas!
I recently bought a Country Critters show and made a 25+ hour journey with my boyfriend to go pick them up. I'll be documenting their restoration through an off-site blog. At the moment I'm only working on Cal due to how massive, heavy and hard to move these characters are.

Link to blog: http://texcritterspizzajamboree.tumblr.com/

We flew from San Diego to Spokane, WA, rented a 16' truck to load them and then drove through WA, OR, and then back to San Diego. The characters are very VERY heavy and took 3-4 people to load them. Their bases are extremely heavy and make them very difficult to move. Unfortunately they are not removable from those bases. Country Cal is 8' tall and his base is 30" wide, to give you an idea of his size.

The truck loaded up.

Posted Image

Country Cal loaded in the truck

Posted Image

Me and Foxy Roxy

Posted Image

Tex Critter loaded in the truck

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tex's head in my lap.

Posted Image

Inside Roxy's base.

Posted Image

Country Cal's tail.

Posted Image

Roxy without her body shells.

Posted Image

Country Cal. His face is covered in some type of wet adhesive that's in his hair, on his eyes, and eyelids. It had dripped onto his shirt and guitar at some point and dried. He's going to need a lot of cleaning.

Posted Image

Inside Tex Critter

Posted Image

And of course, the maintenance manual. There's TONS of info in here about cleaning, running and repairing them, movement lists, etc. I will be scanning it and putting it into a PDF for everyone.

Posted Image

These characters have a lot of movements including eyes up, down, left AND right, body turns/leans, head tilts, head turns, wings, tail movements, moving eyebrows. Even the snake has a lot of movements!

Also, since there's some confusion about the puma and snake's names, they are officially Country Cal and Skeeter according to the manual.

They are a lot more complicated than the animatronics I'm used to, so it may take me a while to get them running again. They're overwhelming and confusing, but I've only gotten a few good looks at them and I'm hoping to figure it all out when they're out of the truck.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cien
Member Avatar

Hey! I saw some of the pictures you posted on Instagram. I'm really excited to see your progress on these guys. Good luck! :billybob:

Mr. Ruxpin
Member Avatar
professional-pizza-timer
I can't believe you got these guys! THAT'S AWESOME!!! Good luck with the restoration!

aLooneyfan
Member Avatar

Is this like the third or fourth Tex show found? We know one was one in warehouse that was bulldozed, another was sold by a high school, and another guy saved one and was recently saying he was selling (maybe this is the one you have). Whats causing these guys pop out of nowhere.
Edited by aLooneyfan, May 17 2016, 08:03 AM.

pttraefan2
Member Avatar

why was one in a high school
and what was the warehouse

aLooneyfan
Member Avatar

CancerBgone
May 17 2016, 09:00 AM
I forgot which warehouse it was but for the high school one, I believe they bought from a store that closed and used it to teach their students programming.

Also Mac, do you have any of the showtapes?

Brian the Helenman
Member Avatar
Cleo
aLooneyfan
May 17 2016, 02:52 PM
CancerBgone
I forgot which warehouse it was but for the high school one, I believe they bought from a store that closed and used it to teach their students programming.

So a Tex Critter's closed, the show went to a warehouse, it got sold to a school, used in a play, and then sold on eBay.

aLooneyfan
Member Avatar

Brian the Helenman
May 17 2016, 03:11 PM
aLooneyfan
CancerBgone

So a Tex Critter's closed, the show went to a warehouse, it got sold to a school, used in a play, and then sold on eBay.
What happened was one was sold to an amusement park who I believe placed it in a warehouse that was later bulldozed. The one from the high school was from a completely different store.

Cavity Sam
Member Avatar
Don't Smoke Crayolas!
aLooneyfan
CancerBgone

Nope, no showtapes. :(

Also this one is the one that was being sold on the forum a while back and then put up on eBay. A friend of mine owns the set that was used by the highschool.

The previous owner of my show told me that the original owner bought them straight from AVG to study how they work. So I have no idea if they were ever installed in a restaurant or not. My Cal has a completely different outfit than the normal one that's outlined in the manual (the red outfit).

Another interesting thing is that my friend's show (the highschool one) has different eyes, guitars, and the guitar/arms on Tex are reversed. He also has completely different hands with more fingers.

shammah121
Member Avatar

I haven't read anything yet, but once I saw it was you who bought it, I knew everything would be fine! Good luck on your restoration!

EDIT: Okay, I read everything and all my opinions are the same! Since whoever originally owned this show only studied them, maybe these aren't the ones from Magic Landing.
Edited by shammah121, May 17 2016, 03:44 PM.

aLooneyfan
Member Avatar

Mac Tonight
May 17 2016, 03:32 PM
aLooneyfan
CancerBgone

Nope, no showtapes. :(

Also this one is the one that was being sold on the forum a while back and then put up on eBay. A friend of mine owns the set that was used by the highschool.

The previous owner of my show told me that the original owner bought them straight from AVG to study how they work. So I have no idea if they were ever installed in a restaurant or not. My Cal has a completely different outfit than the normal one that's outlined in the manual (the red outfit).

Another interesting thing is that my friend's show (the highschool one) has different eyes, guitars, and the guitar/arms on Tex are reversed. He also has completely different hands with more fingers.
That's a shame, hopefully a showtape might surface soon, you never know.

Cavity Sam
Member Avatar
Don't Smoke Crayolas!
Well, I've got some bad news...

The characters are way WAY too big and heavy to get into my house. They have to stay in storage.

The good news is that I plan on moving out in July! So they will be set up and I can work on them all together as they should be!

pttraefan2
Member Avatar

Oh mac! Thats some big news! your leaving the nest...

magicalmadge
Member Avatar

I look forward to seeing the restoration! I'm a sucker for that kind of thing! :)

Cavity Sam
Member Avatar
Don't Smoke Crayolas!
My show was put into storage today. It took three people to get Roxy out of the truck and four people for Tex and Cal. Tex was extremely difficult to get out of the truck and transport and ended up suffering a broken wing. For some reason the wings, ears, and horn on these characters is made from hard FOAM. Foam. Nice going AVG, lol. Oh well, nothing that can't be fixed!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm going to visit them tomorrow night to scrub down Cal's face. If anyone would like any specific photos let me know!

magicalmadge
Member Avatar

I'd love to see some photos of Tex's wings and wing mechs. :)

pttraefan2
Member Avatar

Why is roxys body shaped like that!!!

Cavity Sam
Member Avatar
Don't Smoke Crayolas!
CancerBgone
May 18 2016, 11:34 PM
Why is roxys body shaped like that!!!
She's normal shaped. She's just meant to look like she's leaning forward.

pttraefan2
Member Avatar

Oh, ok...
She just looks like her back is bent in a way that no human could bend their back.
Posted Image
Edited by pttraefan2, May 19 2016, 07:06 AM.

Cavity Sam
Member Avatar
Don't Smoke Crayolas!
Here's some more photos for you guys.

Country Cal's boots. They were tucked into his pants when I got him, but I decided to tuck his pants into the boots because they're just too cool looking to cover up!

Posted Image

Country Cal's hands. My Cal's hands are different from the ones in the AVG video and the fur on mine doesn't match his tail.

Posted Image

Country Cal's tail (or lack thereof). I do have his tail, but it isn't attached. All three characters have tail movement. Tex's tail actually moves in two different spots, the main tail and the tail tip.

Posted Image

Cal from behind. I tried to clean Country Cal's face but it's just too difficult. I'm not sure if what's on his face is adhesive from where his mask was glued on (yes their masks were glued on to the fiberglass shells) or if his mask melted. There's lots of "slime" melted onto his guitar, shirt and even on the inside of his fiberglass face and chest. When I removed the "slime" from his eyelids it unfortunately stripped the paint. To properly clean him I will have to remove his face, his eyes and eyelids and scrub them all down (and repaint his eyelids). I'm not sure how easy that is going to be because his fiberglass face actually goes all the way around his head and there's no way to easily remove it (which confuses me, you'd think it would be removable?).

Posted Image

Tex's wing. Unfortunately both are cracked. The other one is missing a huge chunk.

Posted Image

The back of Tex's wings. They have a flapping movement!

Posted Image

Tex's spikes velcro on and they're made out of rubber. Surprisingly none are missing!

Posted Image

A lot of the velcro strips that were once glued onto his body have pulled off.

Posted Image

And Foxy Roxy just because she's cute. Her hair is blonde with pink streaks airbrushed in. Cal actually has a bit of gray airbrushed into his hair! If you look hard you can see the indent where her ears used to be. Her hair is combed into this style and was sprayed with some type of sealer so it's hard and stiff. It's made out of fiberglass with long fur glued over (same with Cal) and a zipper in the back to access the inside of her head.

Posted Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ03wIz8tJg

Here's a quick little video of them.
Edited by Cavity Sam, May 20 2016, 05:35 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Restoration Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

P
R
O
F
I
L
E