---
Moderators – 5
---
Members – 871
---
Total Members - 880

-------------------------

Please give a special thanks to our TESTERS for helping us set up the forums, and find any issues we had to fix! Without them we wouldn’t have this open for you!
Thanks to our special helper on this large scale project, whom of which without their help, this wouldn't be possible!
And of course, THANKS TO EVERYONE!!

New announcements are constantly released! Make sure you always check the Announcements forum for new topics. You'll get your notices there, and updates of anything going on. In addition to that, we're always trying new things, which is why the forum always gets tweaked. If you have suggestions, be sure to submit them in the Suggestions forum!

Remember to check 'The Pizza Office' section of the forum (or contact an Admin or Mod) about the rules, or if you have any questions and/or suggestions!

If you wish to have your name changed, please request a Change of Username from your Profile.

If you need any help, be sure to contact ANYONE on the staff team, via PM! You can find the staff names on the left side scroller!!

We would like to extend a very big Congratulations to our 2 newest mods, Jack and Isaiah!

10/10/14
The GRAND "RE"-Opening of the forum is TODAY!! October 10th! This new and inviting atmosphere was recreated with a cool new look for all users, past/present/future to touch back with their old roots!! Hope you like it here, at the RETRO PIZZA ZONE!!

2/8/15
There's always new things happening on the forums, and y'all are helping it bloom faster than a flower in Spring! Don't forget to check out your favorite topics, and continue the conversations!

--/--/15
WE HAD A BLAST setting this up for you all! On the center scroller, you see us thanking everyone on the staff team, but we should be thanking you! THE FANS! You inspired us to touch back to our roots, with a LARGER "play area", with more to talk about, more to do, and more people to see! We surely hope you enjoy it here, and even share about this new era!

8/8/15
As we aim to make your experience more enjoyable, we're always trying out new things!! In the near future, there MIGHT be some new things coming to light, as we help to make this place what it should be! As well, I'm marking this day as the day some updates happened!! XD The Member scroller has been updated, and things are in the works!!

4/1/16
THIS IS MY FORUM, AND I'M TAKING OVER, WITH AS MUCH CHEESE AS I WANT!! I HOPE Y'ALL ENJOY YOUR STAY, HERE ON MY FORUM!!! CHEESE!! CHEESE!! CHEESE!!

4/1/16
We got the forums back, and it's been a very eventful day!! We think Rick needs a bit of a break though, and during that time, be sure to check out the new theme!!

2/23/17
Ladies and gentlemen, we'd like to announce that we've updated a few things! Feel free to extend a congratulations to our new mods, and continue to have fun!

Welcome to Retro Pizza Zone. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You must be at least 16 years old or older, unless approved by an Admin.

As well, refrain from using character names for roleplay, and try to refrain from using company names.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Jasper's Sarcasm
Topic Started: Dec 6 2017, 09:22 PM (823 Views)
Studio Stage
Member Avatar

Probably one of my favorite parts about Jeremy Blaido's Jasper (And even Rob Gotcher's to an extent) is Jasper's sarcasm, a feature not present in any other modern variation of the CEC characters. Sure, he's not as brutal as Chuck's wisecracking lines of the PTT days, but Jasper certainly got a lot of laughs over the years thanks to Jeremy's sarcastic take on the character, managing to provide a nice balance for the "cutsie, little-kid-like nature of the other characters in which they're all so polite, and happy, oh me, oh my :building: ". Seriously, sometimes there's a really weak line that falls really flat, but Jasper's sarcastic annoyance at the line can make it way funnier than it was ever intended to be.

However, one thing I've noticed, ever since the Summer 2016 Show, Jasper's sarcastic attitude has been dropped severely. Seriously, Jasper is severely out of character in Nothing Like a Walk, and I do kind of fear that Jeremy is putting on a much more watered down performance as Jasper (Especially since he almost entirely dropped the country accent in exchange for that annoying nasally voice). When Friend Talkin' with Jasper came out, I was disappointed, because there could've been a lot of great material between Jasper and Pasqually (Just look at their interactions in any show from around 2001-2013). The intermission was decent, but it had so much potential, and the execution was really weak. Looking back, I'd say Jasper's sarcasm seemed to be lost during the Acts format too, he seems really generic in the Holiday 2014 Show, and the January 2015 Show (Both shows in which all the other characters seem to be written very well, dare I say it, perfectly, in the Holiday show's respect).

I fear that the days of Jasper's sarcasm are likely over, in order to be watered down into a more likable character (Kind of like what happened to Chuck in the mid 80's when Scott took over), in a way that'd allow him to be more marketable (That doesn't make sense, but that's really the only way I can put my ideas and feelings into words).

While Helen, and Pasqually have both been severely dumb downed over the past year or two (I mean, yeah, Pasqually was weird before then, but that's all he was. He wasn't stupid, or clueless, he was just kind of out of the ordinary, which really made him such a unique and likable character), and I don't mind it too much (I mean, it's better to give Helen a new personality with the new VA, than to have her be a sub-par knockoff of Annagrey's Helen), but having Jasper be written to join in their antics (Particularly in Rainy Day, oooh, I despise that song...), that's unacceptable.

Luckily, the crew at Dept. 18 (Yeah, I still call it that :jasper4: ) seem to have gotten a grip on Jasper in the September show, and really seemed to improve at keeping him in character (All of his lines in It's the 70s! perfectly demonstrates how he should act in these modern times).

So, there could be hope that Jasper will remain the unique individual he should be, rather than blend in with the generic clueless nature of the rest of the gang (Minus Chuck). I don't mind the current state of Chuck's character (Goodness, it's like a modern twist of the PTT dynamic between Chuck and his gang), but I really hope Jasper won't be watered down any more into an even more generic shadow of his former self.

So what're your thoughts on the current situation with Jasper's personality, and what do you think about his personality as a whole, and the future of him?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AD Machine
Member Avatar
Eagle Scout
Honestly, I feel like Jeremy's getting ready to step down as Jasper. I mean, think about it, he's been Jasper since 99. That's a long time to have been doing a voice. I think sometimes Jeremy sounds like he's just doing Jasper to get the recording done. Luckily, as you said, they DID get Jasper back to his old self in "70's" and "If Everyone Were Chuck E"

Now, here's the part most people and I disgaree on: I think Rob Gotcher should've stayed as Jasper. He did the two things Jeremy also did as Jasper: A. Made Jasper sarcastic and B). Gave him a great singing voice. But Rob's Jasper also brought back the kinda witty country accent Jeremy had begun to lose at that point.

I really don't want Jasper "watered-down" as you put it, and he DID seem odd in Nothing Like a Walk. He seemed almost along Munch's level, which is 'go along with anything'. I like when Jasper can have his 'rude' moments, and I also like when he has his nice moments.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Studio Stage
Member Avatar

As sad as it would be for Jeremy to step down, I wouldn't be too surprised if he did, considering how long he's been doing it. If he were to step down, I really fear what could replace him, since it'd be really hard to fill in his shoes (Rob Gotcher did it perfectly, his singing was phenomenal. However, I feel as though it was kind of a good thing Jeremy returned. Rob's Jasper just wouldn't fit in with the current era of CEC Shows).

AD Machine
Member Avatar
Eagle Scout
Studio Stage
Dec 7 2017, 04:14 PM
As sad as it would be for Jeremy to step down, I wouldn't be too surprised if he did, considering how long he's been doing it. If he were to step down, I really fear what could replace him, since it'd be really hard to fill in his shoes (Rob Gotcher did it perfectly, his singing was phenomenal. However, I feel as though it was kind of a good thing Jeremy returned. Rob's Jasper just wouldn't fit in with the current era of CEC Shows).
It would be sad for Jeremy to step down, but hey. The times they are a changin'

Studio Stage
Member Avatar

The only thing I would be especially mad at is if they replaced Earl. Earl does afsbulous job as Pasqually, his singing in It's the 70s! was his best singing in years. Earl still has a lot of great energy in him, and does a fantastic job voicing Pasqually and doing his vocals.

Chuck_E_Fan
Member Avatar

If Jeremy Steps down. Who would be Jaspers new Voice actor?

Jack
Member Avatar
Instagram: @cecfacts
A character's voice has nothing to do with its personality. Jasper's sarcasm isn't a result of Jeremy, or Rob, it's a result of whoever wrote the skit or song.

Studio Stage
Member Avatar

Jack
Dec 7 2017, 07:03 PM
A character's voice has nothing to do with its personality. Jasper's sarcasm isn't a result of Jeremy, or Rob, it's a result of whoever wrote the skit or song.
Indeed. I merely mentioned his voice as a way to reference how Jasper's character as a whole has become much staler, less unique, and more bland. The voice and personality have nothing to do with each other (Goodness, Jasper had a completely different voice in 1999 compared to 2009, yet he still had the same personality). The voice issue just comes across as Jasper moving away from his country roots (I mean, aside from Cowboy's Life For Me, we haven't seen Jasper done anything country-related in a long time, particularly since the shows don't do covers anymore), at least from my viewpoint of the issue. His sarcasm loss truly originates from the loss of the classic Show format used from 1999-2012 (And even 2013-2014 to some extent kept a fair balance between a new format, and some older elements from the previous main format of 4 segments w/ 2 songs per segment). The dialogue really called for Jasper to be the strait man of the group, whereas now Chuck has filled up that role, which has become way too formulaic in my eyes, and it should really be toned down (I miss the days when originals were a full song not interrupted by dialogue :huh: ). Still, as I mentioned, Jasper's sarcasm is not truly lost (I hope the direction he's been going in since the September show will stick), but it's definitely fading away from his personality.

As for who would be Jasper's new voice, I don't know. I personally feel that Jeremy won't be going away for a while (Considering there's nothing really threatening him to leave, there's really no one that I can imagine who'd fill in Jeremy's shoes). Rob Gotcher was amazing at it, but since Rob is no longer working at CECE, I don't know who would be good to fill in Jeremy's shoes. Jeremy probably won't be let go or fired for similar reasons Annagrey, Duncan, and John were fired (Goodness, Jeremy is de-aging Jasper himself with this gradual voice change!), I think Jeremy will leave when he feels like it, and I'm going to guess that won't be for a handful of years (Especially since he can still really sing well, as proven in songs like If Everyone Were Chuck E, Trio, and Another Chuck E Day).

PizzaCade and the CyberStars
Member Avatar
Don't judge the eyebrows.
I find it more appeling than his more goofy, over the top, and about to blow his head up with laughter personality :jasper3: . I seriously want to, "Turn the Fruitcake Dog off!".

AD Machine
Member Avatar
Eagle Scout
I thought I'd bump this, because I noticed something: It seems like lately Munch has become the sarcastic one. Just take his two lines of dialouge at the beginning of Funnis Day:

"Uh, Chuck E, Pasqually's being weird again"
"Oh no! He's gonna sing!"

I feel like Munch becomes the sarcastic one when Jasper's not around. I've noticed this trend recently, and I wonder if this could mean that we'll be seeing a new phase in Jasper's character, as well as Munch's. I don't want to see a sarcastic Munch and a dumb Jasper

Edited by AD Machine, Jan 6 2018, 10:48 AM.

RPCEC
Member Avatar
It's always easy being part of RPCEC
Jeremy makes an amazing voice for Jasper.

Studio Stage
Member Avatar

AD Machine
Jan 6 2018, 10:48 AM
I thought I'd bump this, because I noticed something: It seems like lately Munch has become the sarcastic one. Just take his two lines of dialouge at the beginning of Funnis Day:

"Uh, Chuck E, Pasqually's being weird again"
"Oh no! He's gonna sing!"

I feel like Munch becomes the sarcastic one when Jasper's not around. I've noticed this trend recently, and I wonder if this could mean that we'll be seeing a new phase in Jasper's character, as well as Munch's. I don't want to see a sarcastic Munch and a dumb Jasper

Yeah, Munch definitely does seem a little out of character in Loppen-Funnin's Day. At least this show lightened up on Chuck's negative attitude, making him a more loose and enjoyable character (I don't mind the strait man approach to writing Chuck's character explored particularly in 2017, in fact, I really liked the dynamic between him and the rest of the cast, it felt like a modern take on the classic PTT dynamic between PTT Chuck and the wild and crazy Pizza Time Players. Still, it was kind of a breath of fresh air to see Chuck not as uptight as usual in this show).

Personally I would've rather the inclusion of Jasper in this song, seeing how Munch's lines appropriately fit Jasper more than him (Though maybe the team working on this show wanted to include Munch in this song since he hardly appears throughout the rest of the show?).

While I personally don't think Jasper is exactly done with his sarcastic attitude (Since he hasn't had any new speaking roles in this show), we'll have to see how Dept. 18 (Yeah, I still call it that :) ) tackles Jasper in the upcoming shows.

The Chuckster CEC
Member Avatar
Follow Me On My CEC Journey!
I believe Rob should've stayed as Jasper as well.

Mr. Ruxpin
Member Avatar
professional-pizza-timer
Jeremy sounds like Bob. I like that. So I'd prefer Jeremy.
(if he wasn't doing a lazy job.)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Chuck E. Cheese's · Next Topic »
Add Reply

P
R
O
F
I
L
E