Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

A Reyvateil's Melody

Ar tonelico fan site forums.

Add Reply
  • Pages:
Wizzard's ARM Blog; Place where I write stuff about things
Topic Started: Sep 20 2014, 05:13 AM (2,476 Views)
wizzardx
Hi ARM~

I don't always have time (or the mood, or energy) for being hyper-active around the forum and posting and getting involved everywhere~

I also often have a bunch of downtime - where I'm studying things on my side, or working on projects, or mainly just keeping up to date with emails or forum PMs with a couple of penpals, both on and off of the ARM forum. Oh, and of course, random entertainment here and there - anime series, or random webbrowsing, or whatever else gets my attention on a given day. Oooh, shiny! And, oh yeah - I also have a day job that keeps me pretty busy in the week too~

I tend to give those kinds of things - personal correspondence (walls of text, taking hours to write, ftw), or working on random little side-projects or whatever with penpals - or day job things - a higher priority than showing my pretty blue face around the forums ^_^ and chatting around here publicly.

Still, thinking about it - I don't like to be a stranger on the forum or to the wider ARM community, either. I've had many good times here - both in the past, and recently, and still like to be part of things around here.

So I thought - as a kind of a compromise - I'd post a bit more about various things or thoughts or whatever going on in my life over here~ I'll still be active on the rest of the forum where I can - and I encourage the rest of you to post and chat there too whenever you can ^_^ (really, the last thing I want to do, is hijack the rest of the forums and get people's attention too focused in this topic - as a random hypothetical example).

I guess you can feel free to treat this as some kind of interview topic too for instance - or random fanclub - or whatever - if you'd like to chat about some things with me, or with other people chatting with me, but don't have a better place for it~. And I don't mind things getting off-topic in here either, or random RPs and stuff either - I don't think that thing would become a problem, but I'll be sure to let you guys know if it's getting a bit too much for me to keep up with~

Anyhow, that about sums up my reasoning for making this topic over here ^_^.

So I think that I'll likely be posting a fair amount in here in the future~

Chat later~

wizzard
Member Avatar

Quote Post Goto Top Offline Profile
wizzardx
Hi ARM~

Hope you're all doing well.

I don't have much time or energy for the rest of the forum right now, so I thought I'd just post in here instead~

And well - I guess for the moment, I'm pretty much in "avoid Ar nosurge spoilers at any cost" mode now too - I see some specific topics being updated fairly regularly, and I don't go into them at all.

Also - hmm - with the USA release drawing ever-nearer, I'm guessing a whole lot of people are going to be chatting about the game pretty soon now. Except that, this would contain major spoilers for the others who won't get a chance to play until later on.

I think we did this for AT2 and AT3 - might also be good to do for Ar nosurge - is keep those kinds of topics somewhat quarantined to an area of the forum where people who don't mind spoilers can go to (eg: they already finished the game once already, and don't mind finding out the details of alternate endings).

Most recently on my side - well I've been taking another crack at the Haskell programming language, new textbook in hand. It's still just about as incomprehensible as in the past, but I hope I can get a bit further this time than the last few times I tried~. It's like one of those subjects that you just don't feel intelligent enough to be able to study...

And besides that, I guess I've been playing a little bit with some VN-related ideas - just some really basic stuff based on forum fanfics by currently-active members.

I do still have a lot of nostalgia for my old VN for AT: An Ordinary Life. However, I'm kind of demotivated to work further there, since the original author is now totally inactive, and I really prefer to be able to work with the author directly and get their feedback and stuff. I really enjoy that kind of back and forth~.

Not saying that I'll never get to that, but it isn't exactly high up on my priority list right now, of things that I'd like to spend more time on.

So at *some* point, I might start posting the odd short VN into a VN creation-related topic I created the other day. But for now, I'm mostly polishing up a couple of small things I've worked on lately, and trying out various ideas and stuff first - based on the feedback that I get from various authors of my current proofs of concept~

Thunder - FYI - I did also do something based on the first chapter of your fic - but it was really, just your BGM, set against a click-through of your action sequences in text - also, I had some complications trying to adapt to the VN format at the time. But either way - it was nothing special at all - it would need a massive amount of extra polishing/details/etc added, to be even worth the trouble of downloading, compared to just reading the original forum post version :P.

And I guess I'm kind of a bit tired now, so I'll probably take a nap. Then later, probably do more Haskell studies.

And of course, there are a large number of other forum-related things that I'm always behind with - various topics, or reading people's fanfics, or the various (still ongoing) Wikia translations of AT materials, and so on. Not to mention, I'm also behind on a bunch of entertainment on my side. So little time, so much to waste it on, but kind of too lazy for most of it, for the moment :P.

Anyhow later then. Take care.

Until later.

Wizzard.
Member Avatar

Thunder
wizzardx
Sep 21 2014, 09:09 AM
I think we did this for AT2 and AT3 - might also be good to do for Ar nosurge - is keep those kinds of topics somewhat quarantined to an area of the forum where people who don't mind spoilers can go to (eg: they already finished the game once already, and don't mind finding out the details of alternate endings).

Spoiler laden discussions should be kept in certain marked threads, as was the case with the initial Japanese release, yes. Agreed. For the most part, they'd be in threads like the general Ar nosurge thread & the faq thread, I'd think. Plus anything else with a title indicating spoilers are present.

wizzardx
Sep 21 2014, 09:09 AM
Thunder - FYI - I did also do something based on the first chapter of your fic - but it was really, just your BGM, set against a click-through of your action sequences in text - also, I had some complications trying to adapt to the VN format at the time. But either way - it was nothing special at all - it would need a massive amount of extra polishing/details/etc added, to be even worth the trouble of downloading, compared to just reading the original forum post version :P.

Oh? I think action sequences can work well in VN's provided an artist wants to draw a few CG's to represent the action per sequence… or just reuse some of them for later sequences. That's how it was in XBlaze anyway. It worked out quite well, I think. Anyhow, what you described isn't bad at all. It's pretty common to see things like that in VN's. Lots of CG art gets pricey I guess, so those are often left out of brief sequences. Hm, I guess, but you've got the talent for it I think. I saw part of one vid of what you did with Ordinary Life and it was good. You just need a good art & design team to work with :-3
Member Avatar
Aurica's Oracle & Arcadia's Vanguard
Aurica Nestmile's #1 fan!
The Thunder of Arcadia Army Creed
PURGE COUNT: 273
wizzardx
Hi ARM~

Today ended up being a pretty busy one for me IRL - helping an IRL acquaintence and their friends with something (related to supporting that singer taking part in a local talent TV show that I posted the other day), until pretty late, so almost no time at all for things like forum postings or replies to emails or PMs and so on. Hopefully I can catch up on that a bit tomorrow. Though as a general rule, weekends tend to work better for me when it comes to the Spammish Inquisition. Wednesday is also a local public holiday, so with some luck I'll spam the forum a bit more than usual then, too~

Now, quickly catching up in this topic, where I'd like to try to keep somewhat up-to-date with, even if I can't manage my various other online social-type things for the day~

Thunder

Spoiler laden discussions should be kept in certain marked threads, as was the case with the initial Japanese release, yes. Agreed. For the most part, they'd be in threads like the general Ar nosurge thread & the faq thread, I'd think. Plus anything else with a title indicating spoilers are present.

Thanks, nice to know that we have a plan over there~

Speaking of which, I'm also fairly excited to report that Amazon - a few hours ago, finally deducted the money I'd sent them over paypal previously, for my very own copy of Ar nosurge. Soon now~. Also I ordered that with the max express international delivery - which cost about as much as the game itself, but meaning that I should get it delivered in 2-3 days after it hits USA, rather than 2-3 weeks~

I'll probably be even more scarce around the forum (and emails and projects and such) than usual for a while in the not-too-distant-future, all of my free time being spent on something else for a while~

Thunder

Oh? I think action sequences can work well in VN's provided an artist wants to draw a few CG's to represent the action per sequence… or just reuse some of them for later sequences. That's how it was in XBlaze anyway. It worked out quite well, I think. Anyhow, what you described isn't bad at all. It's pretty common to see things like that in VN's. Lots of CG art gets pricey I guess, so those are often left out of brief sequences. Hm, I guess, but you've got the talent for it I think. I saw part of one vid of what you did with Ordinary Life and it was good. You just need a good art & design team to work with :-3

Well, there is actually a fair amount that can be done with a fic like yours in terms of VNs, even without a bunch of custom CG artwork.

Ongoing music changes, and background SFX for various actions / attacks / etc as they take place in the text - as it scrolls across the screen are one example. Some random static artwork - borrowed from eg - video game screen caps or file rips, can be useful, too, for eg - dimmed out background screens, to have something there rather than it being a black color. Different fonts, colors, etc can work too.

Plus, since it's a VN, some other options become possible too - eg, making it slightly more interactive, letting the reader pick alternate actions or quotes at certain spots for different results (maybe just varying the dialogue or order of events slightly, rather than affecting the main plot).

Basically, think of a somewhat multimedia-enhanced version of your typical "choose your own adventure" game book (which mainly requires a good writer, and no real major art or multimedia team), rather than say, what you're used to from your standard adventure Gust-like VN with a bunch of sprites and animations and dramatic CGs and such.

And well - that AT:AOL thing - was probably a lot less talent, and a lot more hard and days-long grunt work than anything else on my part :P. Thanks though~

If it interests you, I could perhaps re-do an extremely basic version of your first fic chapter, and then bounce it around a couple of times between the two of us, tweaking things like music, SFX, and other elments or similar - as much as you'd like to as the author - and see where that goes? Mainly as a kind of a mini "just-for-fun" project.

For the moment I'd prefer not to make any commitments to larger projects, but some once-off relatively small things for fun - and which don't really have a time pressure element to them - shouldn't be too much of a problem~

And well - that's actually what I'm already doing with a couple of other ARM member fics or other mini projects at this point (well, rather sporadically, on and off, rather than anything regular, or that's even likely to be posted publicly to the forum any time soon), so it wouldn't be going too much of my way either~
Member Avatar

wizzardx
Hi ARM~

I've been pretty busy today and yesterday - with some work things, and a couple of personal things, so no real time for the forum. But that's pretty normal for me during the week. I was however able to catch up on a few personal emails.

Well, as I've mentioned a number of times - I do tend to be a pretty antisocial git in real life.

But well by that - I don't mean that I dislike people - but more that - I'm pretty happy to keep my own company, and don't go out of my way to be sociable.

And since starting to work mostly at home several months back, it's only gotten worse (or better?) - I'll stay in my flat for long periods, won't see another human being (or let alone the sun/daystar, lol) for the entire week, except for the one day when I need to do grocery shopping for instance~ Which I actually enjoy quite a bit - being independent from others, and keeping my own schedule and routine, and more or less living however I want to, in a pretty much stress-free way~

I guess in some ways that makes me _kinda_ - like your steriotypical Hikikomori in some ways - with the main exception that I am gainfully employed, and live by myself rather than with family or friends. I used to be *terribly* stressed out being around people in general, but I've gotten better at that. Though, my own company is still my favorite~

That said, I did see a friend yesterday evening, to help out with a few things related to another acquaintance that is taking part in a local talent/singing TV show. That was fun too for a while - being around other friendly people and their noisy dogs and stuff. Plus I get a chance to try out some of my general wit and banter IRL, rather than just say on the forum or my random RPs over here or whatever~ I actually tend to live in a *very* different world to people who I interact with - my general outlook and perspective and general ways of thinking tend to be pretty unique.

I've mentioned to a couple of them that I've also been pretty active on the net lately in a social sense - with forums and emails and random projects and such. Haha - one of them was pressuring me a bit to try to recruit people I know online, to help with a couple of things - but I deflected that - I have no intention of trying to get you guys involved in the affairs of an acquaintance of mine. I'll help them personally, because I enjoy that (even if not really the thing that I'm helping them with), but I won't go as far as trying to get other unrelated people that I know - involved with that kind of thing :P

And well, being eccentric in some ways - is also a sign of someone who spends a lot of time by themselves :P. Time spent around people, tends to also be time where you also become a bit more like them, and start thinking in similar ways.

And well, for better or worse, my companions through the years have been mainly fictional characters - from say anime, JRPG or novels... which has caused problems in some places with not having the same sets of social norms as others - but I also enjoy being myself - pretty much unique, and not wanting to be like regular people~

In the past that was kind of different. I overthought and stressed out far too much about my differences to others - in terms of lifestyle, relationships with other people, and so on, and it made me really miserable at times. I'm glad though that I'm past that point now~

Ah, anyway - I guess this was a more bloggish post than usual~ I guess I'm reflecting a bit more on my own personal life at the moment, than I usually do when I'm at the forum. I probably need to catch up on some sleep :P.

And, ooh, nice! I Just got an email saying that my Amazon order for Ar nosurge has just been shipped~

Looks like I'll be getting that in a few days. Though, knowing me, I'll likely put it down to one side and not get around to it for a while, until I'm more in the mood for JRPGs and console gaming in general. That's one downside of avoiding spoilers - or even any promotional material - for weeks and months at a time - is that you can go a bit too far, and lose a bunch of the interest or excitement that you had in the first place :P. I'll probably need to get myself to watch some more promo materials again, to get myself motivated and excited enough again, to actually play the game :P. But even before I can actually start playing the game, I still have a whole lot of catching up on Ciel nosurge background story and translations to do~.

Ah anyway - I guess this is enough walls of text from me for the moment~

Take care ARM, and chat later~

Wizzard.
Member Avatar

Thunder
wizzardx
Sep 23 2014, 12:54 AM
Thanks, nice to know that we have a plan over there~

Well, that was actually more something i came up with on the spot, but I do think we should keep massive spoilers (including those in topic titles) to a minimum for a few weeks after release, just to let others have a chance to catch up before they see those things.

wizzardx
Well, there is actually a fair amount that can be done with a fic like yours in terms of VNs, even without a bunch of custom CG artwork.

True, but after reading parts of my first fic over after finishing my most recent one, I definitely know that the writing itself needs some serious upgrades :^^;: But you're right. There are tons and tons of things that can be done with a VN medium that can accommodate all types of stories, depending on how much work the creator wants to put into it.

wizzardx
If it interests you, I could perhaps re-do an extremely basic version of your first fic chapter, and then bounce it around a couple of times between the two of us, tweaking things like music, SFX, and other elments or similar - as much as you'd like to as the author - and see where that goes? Mainly as a kind of a mini "just-for-fun" project.

This sounds pretty cool to me :D But I don't want to put any extra work load on you, so only if you want to, let's go for it~

wizzardx

Well, as I've mentioned a number of times - I do tend to be a pretty antisocial git in real life.

I can't even imagine you being a git, wiz :^^;:

wizzardx

That's one downside of avoiding spoilers - or even any promotional material - for weeks and months at a time - is that you can go a bit too far, and lose a bunch of the interest or excitement that you had in the first place :P.

Agreed. Staying away from the hype too much can make the excitement fade before it even has a chance to get going. I like my hype :^^;:
Member Avatar
wizzardx
Hi ARM~

I'm kind of tired and sleepy now, so I think I'll be skipping my ARM-related things for today.

My sleeping has also been kinda chaotic (more-so than usual), very recently.

I'll be back a bit later on when I have more energy and am more in the mood for being active around here~

But for now, I think I'll just be resting under my cozy rock over on the side here. I guess in JRPG terms, I've put out a tent by a savepoint, and my party is busy resting and getting recharging their HP and SP, catching up on Talk Topics, and so on for the moment. Back to adventuring, a bit later on~

Chat later.

Wizzard.
Member Avatar

wizzardx
Hehe... hehehehehe... hehehehehehehehehe~

Thunder - and ARM in general - prepare yourselves - I'm about to unleash a monstrosity on to the world~

I've just done a VN conversion of Thunder's fics chap 1 over to a VN format.

However - of further interest, is that this is where you'll hear me doing voice acting for the first time. Prepare to have any illusions you might have of me shattered as you hear how my real voice sounds, and how awful my girl voices sound, and not to mention how horribly I mangle the hymmnos pronunciation, and generally make a parody of the entire chapter :P (sorry Thunder - I couldn't help myself - I just got the idea this afternoon, so I had to rush out and buy a mike and then spend the past few hours playing with it :P).

Screencap:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Download link:

http://wizzardx.ar-ciel.org/downloads/vns/Chapter-1-Hoodwinked-1.0/Chapter-1-Hoodwinked-1.0-all.zip

And, oh yeah - I had a bunch of fun voice-acting the demon character, too~ Here's a sample audio clip~

"Demon: It's like playing with babies!! Is this all you've got!?"

http://wizzardx.ar-ciel.org/downloads/vns/Chapter-1-Hoodwinked-1.0/its_like_playing_with_babies.ogg

Member Avatar

Thunder
wizzardx
Sep 27 2014, 08:23 PM
Hehe... hehehehehe... hehehehehehehehehe~

Uh-oh… :^^;: I've seen horror stories start like this :lol:

wizzardx
However - of further interest, is that this is where you'll hear me doing voice acting for the first time. Prepare to have any illusions you might have of me shattered as you hear how my real voice sounds, and how awful my girl voices sound, and not to mention how horribly I mangle the hymmnos pronunciation, and generally make a parody of the entire chapter :P (sorry Thunder - I couldn't help myself - I just got the idea this afternoon, so I had to rush out and buy a mike and then spend the past few hours playing with it :P).

What'd'ya mean awful~? Some of the lines were quite good, especially the demon's lines. And the narration was good, too I have to say. I definitely think you could do a wicked pirate impression B-) (No worries, I thought it was pretty good & funny XD)

wizzardx

Spoiler: click to toggle

Wow, this is surprisingly accurate compared to the picture I had in my mind while I was writing that chapter o_O

Very nice, wiz, very nice~
Member Avatar
wizzardx
Hahahaha~

Hi Thunder - I didn't expect you to see it so soon :P.

Well, I needed to do it once, for the lulz - oh, and also to see how my voice sounded to other people - it's been a while since I've heard a recording of myself. Now that it's done - and the novelty and surprise value is past, I probably won't do any further voice acting or narration for the rest of my days :P.

By awful, I actually meant by professional standards. I guess as a first (and probably final, lol) try, it's not all that bad~

I was kind of aiming for terrible monty-python-type quality with the "Protector of the Forest!" spell though - using a very fake falsetto girl voice :P.

And I could never figure out how to pronounce the first letter of Gerardo's name.

Fortunately, it's possible to replace the ogg files of my voice recordings with other people's recordings later on, if that ever becomes a thing~

Actually I got the inspiration for that idea, from a fanfic conversion to audio book format that I quite enjoyed~ over here:

http://www.hpmorpodcast.com/?p=60

From that project, I've always felt like I wanted to do something a bit similar, at least once :P.

Maybe if some other fan member project wants some voice acting - like eg - ARM game did at one point, I'll play with that kind of thing again then, if they need some monty-python-like women voices :P~

But I'm kind of doubtful about doing anything like that for any other of my projects or VNs, etc - given such low (in a professional sense) quality~. This was mainly for lulz/shock value - now it's a used-up joke :P.

I did have some thoughts of adding in numerous sound effects too, but was too lazy to get that far. Actually doing the voices was a lot less work than adding a SFX soundtrack (eg, in a typical AT:AOL VN chapter), since it only takes a small number of takes in Audacity to get something usable~ Adding in a voice track meant a lot less need for assembling a SFX background soundtrack.

The screen cap/background - was just some random AT1 forest/mountain binary field background, and some transparent PNG demon image I found online. Actually, the demon and the landscape are terribly out of scale compared to each other - you're not meant to think too closely about the details though, it's mainly there to provide some basic imagery~

Thanks for your commentary and feedback and complements :P.

Are there any particular details that - as the fic author - you'd want to change - in terms of things like general presentation and so on?

I guess for the moment, I'm mainly interested in just doing chapter one, or perhaps a short story - of a couple of different forum author fics - in some format or another - for the fun of it, when I'm in the mood for it~ Not really at this point, looking to commit to any particular project or another, but mainly interested in some random once-offs here and there.

Pirate voice - I could probably pull something like that off at some point, if I needed to. Erm, maybe if I made a VN or brief bodcast ep or whatever, for "talk like a pirate day" at some point.

Anyhow, it was fun~ glad you enjoyed it a bit, too :P
Member Avatar

wizzardx
Lolz, also posted to YouTube - as well as being my first voice acting, this is also my first youtube upload :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0olEVHFIWo
Member Avatar

wizzardx
Hehe. I emailed it to a couple of IRL friends. I got some constructive criticism from the one - someone who's got nothing to do with ARM or the AT series~

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. I think the voices were pretty well done (particularly enjoyed Parsley's kyaaaaaaa haha - I thought my windows would shatter!). In fact, I think it's quite hard to do the different voices like that so well done. If I could offer any constructive criticism it'd be to find another voice or cadence for the narration, as it felt a bit stilted.The characters themselves were fine, and I liked the demon haha. Did you do it all manually or use any filters or anything?

Anyway, that was interesting. Do send more if you make them heh.

Lolz, I agree on the narrator voice being stilted. I probably need to work on that a bit sometime :P.

Still, maybe I'll do another one sometime~
Member Avatar

wizzardx
Hi again ARM~

Well, I guess that's enough of me geeking out at my new-found-talent and that particular chapter :P.

And well, I feel like writing some other things now, and then also replying to a few other things.

At the moment I'm taking a look at Thunders fic's second chapter, and wondering what kind of adaption would work well there. That part is more AT chara-heavy, meaning I could go the regular "animated sprites" route, but then there's a problem with non-AT characters. It might be a bit weird if non-AT charas were always speaking from "off-screen". Maybe I could substitute in VN characters for other games instead in some of their parts, if I had a better idea of what would fit for those charas. Or maybe for the moment, just substitute in some random AT charac artworks but give them new names~

I'm considering whether I'd want to voice the next one, but I'm not all _that_ keen on the idea of trying to immitate - say - one of the voice actresses for Shurelia or Aurica and so on :P. It kind of feels a bit disrespectful to those charas, to do some kind of equivalent of an amateur "fan dub".

Maybe instead, I'll focus more on sound effects or similar, though that is kind of a royal pain in the rear end, to put together a sound effect sound track where every line or two you get a corresponding sound effect. Each sound effect might take like - hours to find, or edit together, or similar. That was probably one of my main time-consuming annoyances while working on the AT:AOL VN in the past~. Ah, that, as well as very regular on-screen special effects and animations. They're fun up to a point, but then they get to a point of diminishing returns, where they're just a pain to keep spending time on, but you still need to anyway, since that's the expectation and idea/etc you've already setup from earlier work.

I'm also thinking that - since the VNs I'm making so far tend to almost always be linear, that I might just convert them to youtube videos right away, rather than uploading the Ren'Py projects - since that's a lot more accessible for most people.

Also I've bein thinking a little bit about the idea of getting around to the next chapter of AT:AOL sometime.

Well, I don't want to make any promises or commitments - but I think that the fun that I had lately with the voice stuff, and some of the feedback on that, has made me a bit more interested in those projects than before~

That other friend did mention that it is pretty unfair of myself to compare my bits and pieces to professional work - like "nice baby, but to bad it's not Jesus" were something like his exact words :P.

That kind of thing - super-high standards - comparing against professional works - tends to be one reason I never get into creative things - like fanfics and similar. Because I know that - no matter how hard I try, it's still going to suck terribly, compared to the works of other authors. The fact that what I put together might even be really good for an almost total beginner, doesn't seem to register at all.

I guess it's easy for people to be irrational in that kind of way.

Ah, anyway, enough wondering thoughts about where I might do some fan-type-works next. Time to reply to some comments earlier in this thread that I skipped until now.

Thunder

Well, that was actually more something i came up with on the spot, but I do think we should keep massive spoilers (including those in topic titles) to a minimum for a few weeks after release, just to let others have a chance to catch up before they see those things.

Well, so far, I mainly see a handful of topics with suspicious names - being posted in very regularly. I peeked in briefly once, and saw - yep - this seems to be about ways of how to earn in-game currency - so I backed out very carefully without reading further~

For the moment, things still seem fine if I don't go to those obviously-named topics :P.

Thunder

True, but after reading parts of my first fic over after finishing my most recent one, I definitely know that the writing itself needs some serious upgrades :^^;: But you're right. There are tons and tons of things that can be done with a VN medium that can accommodate all types of stories, depending on how much work the creator wants to put into it.

I guess that depends on where your interests lie most - improving older writing, or working on new writing. A given piece will never be perfect. And well, I intentionally release lower-quality things sometimes out of laziness, just to be done with them, rather than overworking or over-pressuring myself due to perfectionism :P.

As for myself - I guess I don't have much confidence in my ability to create interesting plots of character or general world-building. I think I'm kind of a bit more on the spontaneous side, depending on my mood at the time. Well, in short, I Live for Lulz, I guess~

And oh, also - I'd prefer not to work entirely on a given VN by myself - which is one reason I tend to latch onto existing member's interesting fanfics, since there's pretty much guaranteed to be at least one somewhat interested person :P.

Thunder

This sounds pretty cool to me :D But I don't want to put any extra work load on you, so only if you want to, let's go for it~

Done~ Ball is in your court now XD - whether there's parts you'd like to change in chapter 1, or if chapter 2 might be more interesting to spend time on - well of course - depending on when I'm in the mood for that kind of project~ I do also have a bad habbit of biting off more, work and project-wise, than I can handle - enthusiastic one day, and then feeling really overloaded and stressed a bit later on, and not even wanting to visit the forum and chat regularly for instance....

Thunder

I can't even imagine you being a git, wiz :^^;:

I like to describe myself badly sometimes - basically, in the sense of a kind of very flawed and eccentric anti-hero-type character, who has some redeeming features every now and then. I can identify with that kind of character role a bit better, rather than the classical "hero of virtue and holy light"-type trope.

Although in truth, rather than antisocial, I think it's more like asocial - I'm kind of indifferent to social things, given that - for instance - they're not part of my life, and thinking too much about that thing would mainly make me unhappy~ Been there, done that. I prefer to enjoy what I have and how I live now, rather than wish for something I don't have. Like, the grass is always greener on the other side and stuff? :P

Anyhow, I guess that's enough profound walls of text, at least for one forum post~

Later then~

Wizzard.
Member Avatar

Thunder
wizzardx

Hi Thunder - I didn't expect you to see it so soon :P.

I saw it pretty much right after you posted it by pure chance :lol:

wizzardx

By awful, I actually meant by professional standards.

True, true, but you're work is definitely much better than the crew who did the English voices in Chaos Wars.

wizzardx

I was kind of aiming for terrible monty-python-type quality with the "Protector of the Forest!" spell though - using a very fake falsetto girl voice :P.

Instant classic B-) I definitely got the Monty Python vibe more than a few times. Well done, there.

wizzardx

And I could never figure out how to pronounce the first letter of Gerardo's name.

I always say the "G" in Gerardo he same as the "J" in jury, but that's mainly for if it were spoken as in English. Gerardo is a spanish name, so the way you pronounced it is pretty good I think.

I've actually never listened to an audio book, but that example you gave sounds somewhat similar to how a Drama CD is.

Also, I can definitely imagine that getting the sound effects right can be very challenging at times. There are some rather ingenious ways of coming up with them that have been used over the years.

wizzardx

The screen cap/background - was just some random AT1 forest/mountain binary field background

Was it?! o_O I am ashamed that I don't recognize it from the game…

wizzardx

Thanks for your commentary and feedback and complements :P.

Are there any particular details that - as the fic author - you'd want to change - in terms of things like general presentation and so on?

You're welcome~

Hm, well given the almost storybook like presentation (which has a good level of charm, btw), sound effects would be pretty cool, but those could take a while to do. Especially for stuff like the magic spells.

wizzardx

for "talk like a pirate day" at some point.

We missed that this year, it was sometime this month :^^;:

wizzardx
Sep 28 2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. I think the voices were pretty well done (particularly enjoyed Parsley's kyaaaaaaa haha - I thought my windows would shatter!). In fact, I think it's quite hard to do the different voices like that so well done. If I could offer any constructive criticism it'd be to find another voice or cadence for the narration, as it felt a bit stilted.The characters themselves were fine, and I liked the demon haha. Did you do it all manually or use any filters or anything?

Anyway, that was interesting. Do send more if you make them heh.

:lol: That scream was pretty piercing. But yeah, being able to provide the voice for so many characters from one person is pretty hard.

wizzardx

Maybe I could substitute in VN characters for other games instead in some of their parts, if I had a better idea of what would fit for those charas. Or maybe for the moment, just substitute in some random AT charac artworks but give them new names~

I was going to suggest the first idea you had here since it's pretty easy & handy, but the second one is just as fun. If you wanted to go the first route, I have descriptions of what aqua's characters look like, so you wouldn't have to sift through the fic to find them.

wizzardx

I'm considering whether I'd want to voice the next one, but I'm not all _that_ keen on the idea of trying to immitate - say - one of the voice actresses for Shurelia or Aurica and so on :P. It kind of feels a bit disrespectful to those charas, to do some kind of equivalent of an amateur "fan dub".

You could just do the narration for it & not voice anybody's lines. basically, pull a NISA :lol:

wizzardx

That other friend did mention that it is pretty unfair of myself to compare my bits and pieces to professional work - like "nice baby, but to bad it's not Jesus" were something like his exact words :P.

I have to agree with this. This is just for fun, not for accuracy. Also, taking a bit from your paragraph after this one. Don't compare your work to that of professionals or even others on here. You've gotta try your best & if your proud of what you've accomplished, then that's a win. I don't write my fics expecting rave reviews. It'd be nice to get them, but it's not going to kill the chances of my writing another one if I don't get one.

wizzardx

I guess that depends on where your interests lie most - improving older writing, or working on new writing. A given piece will never be perfect.

Well, right now I don't have much interest in doing either one, but I think I want to write the finale fic first before going back & giving the first one a face lift. Of course, I may just leave it as is. I wouldn't really be changing much of anything, so much as fleshing out the details.

Spontaneous definitely works for you B-)

I see where you're coming from. It's definitely more fun when there's more than one person involved. Constant feedback inbound, both good & bad gives you the boost you need to keep going, plus the added creativity in areas where you may have missed something. I definitely credit the joint fic with aqua being done by both of us for the marked improvement in my writing ability. It was quite the learning experience.

wizzardx

Ball is in your court now XD - whether there's parts you'd like to change in chapter 1, or if chapter 2 might be more interesting to spend time on - well of course - depending on when I'm in the mood for that kind of project~ I do also have a bad habbit of biting off more, work and project-wise, than I can handle -

I think if we're skipping on sound effects, then chap 1 is good~ I do that a lot as well. Taking on way more work than I can feasibly handle and even though I know it's already too much, I'll keep piling more on top of it :^^;:
Edited by Thunder, Sep 28 2014, 09:25 PM.
Member Avatar
wizzardx
Hi ARM~

Over the past couple of days, I've been really busy helping an IRL friend with one of their urgent projects, so next to no time for anything else. That's over with now, for at least another week or so, so now I can get back to my usual things.

Anyhow, I guess I'm writing this here in one place, instead of my usual forum chatting or email/PM/etc correspondence. I'll reply to various people and topics, or mini-projects and so on individually, a bit later on, time allowing~. And also of course, a few things a bit earlier on in this topic that I still need to reply to.

I guess, the main thing I have to remark on at the moment, is that though I (finally) now have a copy of Ar nosurge, I'm not feeling any particular urgency to play it. Kind of like, it's something I'd like to put aside for a bit. When I start on that, it is going to become a major time sink. And I'm looking forwards to that. It's more that, I'd rather wait until things are a lot quieter, and I'm more in the mood for it, or perhaps in a more introverted/less sociable phase (my general norm, rather than how I tend to post around the forum or in correspondence in general, at present) to enjoy it more then. For the moment I'm more in the mood for some other things, especially ones that don't represent too much of a time investment. I guess, everything in it's time and place~

I think that - more than anything else, I'm happy that I've got the game in my hands now, so I could play it any time if I felt like I really wanted to.

That's how things tend to be with me in general with things that I want or long for in one way or another. As soon as it becomes possible to do one of those things, then I suddenly become indifferent to it, suddenly losing a lot of active interest that I had before. I think it's more the challenge of overcoming the inability to do something that I enjoy, perhaps even a bit more than the actual thing itself that I wasn't able to do.

Anyhow - the game won't disappear if I don't play it right away, and I don't think that I'm really missing out too much on playing it a bit later on, rather than right now.

I guess though - if Ar nosurge-type spoilers start becoming common-place/fair game for random chatting/RPs/english translations/etc - like the other AT games are by this point - more or less, then I'd need to do something then, if I haven't already. Basically, path of least resistance, aka super lazy :P.

Hey, there's even the remote possibility that Ciel nosurge would be localized in the meanwhile too, if I take too long to get around to Ar nosurge.

Anyhow, I'm pretty tired and sleepy now. Time to figuratively hit the sack, I guess~

Chat later,

Wizzard.
Member Avatar

Thunder
wizzardx

Hey, there's even the remote possibility that Ciel nosurge would be localized in the meanwhile too

If enough people bug KT about it in those surveys they have after they release games, it's possible we might get the Offline version. Maybe.
Member Avatar
wizzardx
It'll be nice if it does come out~

And well, in the meanwhile, I've been having all sorts of PC-related trouble at home recently too, which has been taking up a great deal of my time to sort out. Seems to be fixed now, so maybe I'll have time to go back to some of my regular things again :P
Member Avatar

wizzardx
Hi ARM~

Heh. Random - I guess these days I've found my own equivalent of inner peace, compared to my many personal troubles in the past. Yay me~. I'm still alive and kicking though :P.

Ah, I was just thinking that at the moment, based on some other chat I was having earlier.

What I actually dropped by here to write was that I've still been really really busy with various IRL things - mostly work-related, but a couple of social-related things too.

For those of you still waiting for reply emails and topic replies and such from me - please bear with me - I'll get back to my regular online social routine before to long, I'm sure~.

Though, this weekend is also looking like it might be a pretty busy one for me, for both work-related and social-related reasons, too.

It's odd how - sometimes - when you want to have a bunch of free time, then life comes along and eats that up, but at other times, you have far more free time than you can shake a pointy stick at.

In a way, it's almost like the universe is conspiring to make sure that I never get around to playing Ar nosurge, or spending time on any of my regular pastimes :P.

But well, I'm also enjoying things this way too - also partly out of novelty, even if I'm a bit scarce around the forum and emails and such lately.

I'll get back to these various things, as soon as I can - in terms of free time, mood, energy, lulz surplus, and so on~

For now take care ARM, and chat later~

Wizzard.
Member Avatar

wizzardx
For a change, I seem to have a bit of free time now, so my thoughts are slowly turning back towards VN-like projects and stuff, too~

So I guess, back to that conversation that Thunder and myself were having before :P.

Thunder

True, true, but you're work is definitely much better than the crew who did the English voices in Chaos Wars.

I had to look that one up... and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

Wat... Shadow Hearts was one of my favorite JRPGs of all time - WHAT DID THEY DO TO IT? *wanting to gouge out ears and eyes with a rusty teaspoon*

Where's the brain bleach when I need it?

Next time, those voice actors should try to learn a thing or two from Dr Sbaitso and Microsoft Sam - who at least acknowledge the presence of things like punctuation symbols and attempt to show some imitation of feeling every now and then...

However, I think I still have a while to go, before I can reach the level of this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID2ZVZIDL3w&feature=youtu.be&t=3m7s

He's my new hero in the world of voice acting~ :P

Thunder

I always say the "G" in Gerardo he same as the "J" in jury, but that's mainly for if it were spoken as in English. Gerardo is a spanish name, so the way you pronounced it is pretty good I think.

After some research, it seems like it's pronounced like this:

https://translate.google.co.za/?ie=UTF-8&hl=en&client=tw-ob#en/es/Gerardo

(Click the speaker icon to the bottom right of the right box)

Thunder

I've actually never listened to an audio book, but that example you gave sounds somewhat similar to how a Drama CD is.

I've never listened to Drama CDs, since it's so frustrating knowing that there's a really awesome story going on there, but incomprehensible to me :-/

Do at least some Drama CDs, or even the AT ones, come with English subtitles that play alongside the original voices?

(if not, I'm starting to have an idea for one of my next projects...)

Thunder

Also, I can definitely imagine that getting the sound effects right can be very challenging at times. There are some rather ingenious ways of coming up with them that have been used over the years.

More like incredibly tedious. If you find a good BGM, that can last for several minutes, or for the entire duration of a scene. Same with say various sprites or background artwork and such. However, I think I overdid things a bit with the sounds a bit while working in AT:AOL. For instance the flash cosmospheres get away with only having about 4 or 5 sound effects in total I think, but they're still masterpieces~

Thunder

Was it?! o_O I am ashamed that I don't recognize it from the game…

Mainly I know that because I was picking through my list of background ripped from the AT1 games :P. I think it's from the Atelier-themed story over in Shurelia's Binary Field in AT1.

Thunder

Hm, well given the almost storybook like presentation (which has a good level of charm, btw), sound effects would be pretty cool, but those could take a while to do. Especially for stuff like the magic spells.

Ah - no - I think I'll be doing a bit of work on the SFX next, since you've specially mentioned it. Plus, it's not like I create those sounds themselves, and I already have a very large variety of spell noise SFX ripped (and already sorted into sub-folders) right from the PS2 AT games themselves for instance~

I kind of got interrupted by IRL stuff, but my idea was to in the meanwhile, improve the quality of the 1st chapter a bit - with things like SFX, while in the meanwhile in this topic, tossing around ideas for how to do the second chapter.

Thunder

Well, thing is - even with character descriptions, I still wouldn't know what character art/sprite/etc to use for them. It would probably work a bit better if - with those charas in mind, you take a look at some other games with VN-style "paper doll" artwork/sprites, that seem to fit the characters well. With some luck, I *might* be able to either rip, or download sprites for those particular charas. I do also actually have just about all the chara art for a lot of Gust's other titles - Mana Khemia, Atelier, etc - except that they'd need a bit of editing work first before being usable - they have a black image background rather than a transparent one.

Plus, if you ever feel up to it, free to check out the free sound project and suggest anything you'd like me to use from there in one of the chapters:

https://www.freesound.org/

Thunder

You could just do the narration for it & not voice anybody's lines. basically, pull a NISA :lol:

Hehe - sadly though - narration seems to be my weak point :P. I think - for fun, I'd probably try voicing all the parts and narrations again, and hope that the Goddesses have mercy on my soul.

And plus, maybe someday I can start soliciting voice acting from other forum members, in the unlikely event of my actually starting to go anywhere with this kind of project :P.

Anyhow, I guess that about wraps up my reply for the moment. Now, when I have a moment and am feeling a bit less lazy, I guess I'll start reworking the SFX for chapter 1 a bit. Plus, I kind of messed up the volume levels a bit in there the first time around, so I'd like to redo that sometime.

That's the nice thing about having a fairly short chapter - you can use it as a sandbox for playing with a lot of different ideas for adaptions and so on. At this point, I think I'm more interested in refining the general style/quality/etc, rather than making progress through later chapters.
Member Avatar

wizzardx
Hi ARM~

Hope things are going well there. And well, from the number of updates in certain topics - that I'm still carefully staying out of - it seems like there is a fair amount of activity going on~

I'm guessing by now that many of you are playing or have even finished the localized version of Ar nosurge. But I guess, I've been both too busy with other things, and too lazy too, to even start playing that game, after going to so much trouble to get hold of it XD.

Thunder - you referred to one very special scene in the JP version of Ar nosurge - did you get to see it again in your own version of the game yet?

I must say that there are a number of elements I'm looking forwards to, when I'm actually in the mood for playing the game. For the moment it's kind of more like a fine wine or similar - being left on the shelf for a while, until I suddenly out of nowhere, get a massive urge to play it. I'm saving it for then - as a kind of an exercise in delayed gratification, I guess~

That's kind of how I tend to roll these days in general~. Doing what I feel like right now, rather than by what I felt like yesterday, or what I might feel like tomorrow.

In that sense, I'm really fickle - I chop and change between projects or forum conversations or hobbies or whatever like crazy - just doing a bit of whatever I feel like here and there, and not spending a second longer on it when I start getting a bit tired of it, or something else suddenly starts getting more of my awareness.

Like, back on the Ar nosurge thing - for me it's not a social thing, even though I tend to be active here on the forums. I won't start playing the game now, just because a lot of other people I'm chatting to online, are playing it now for instance. Same deal with anime or other entertainment or various projects and such - I do them at my own pace, depending on my mood and preference at any given point~

Which I guess is why - to some extent - spontaneous once-off things tend to be a lot more my style, rather than sinking too much time into any one thing or another thing.

I do actually admire people who are able to pull that kind of thing off - find something that they really love, and then put in years and years and years of work into it.

It's not like I've never had things like those either~ But they are very few and far between - periods of - I guess - temporary insanity and obsession where 100% of my brain is all about one thing or another thing, to the exclusion of just about anything else. I tend not to be good at doing things in moderation :P. But I don't think it's too bad either, to get so single-minded and excited and obsessed with one thing or another for a while too, so long as it doesn't cause problems elsewhere.

I guess that kind of makes me a bit of an "all or nothing" person in some ways at some times. It's hard for me to be luke-warm about something, and still stay involved with it. My brain is kind of addicted to being highly stimulated by one thing or another at a given time :P.

And well, I guess for the moment, I'm still pretty much neglecting some emails and forum conversations and stuff. I guess I need to apologise to a bunch of people a bit for replying to them and getting their interest, and then disappearing the next moment, leaving them hanging afterwards, when my attention goes somewhere else XD. I guess in some ways, I tend to have a very short attention or interest span in general~ gomen, ARM~ orz - but well, I guess that's just one of my little quirks that make me me - in both some good and some bad or possibly annoying ways sometimes :P.

If I've left you hanging in some topic or email thread or whatever though - feel free to remind me of it a bit later on - chances are that I've clean forgotten about it, or just - for relatively minor reason - seen that there is a reply in a given topic, but not been in the mood with following up with that topic further at that point in time, but then I might come back to it a year or so later on for a post or two, before disappearing from there for another year or so~

I guess I can be pretty random in those kinds of ways XD.

About ARM and me - or I guess - things in general with people I'm friendly with sometimes - I guess it's not really about being sociable, or enjoying chatting to people or developing friendships or such, though there is some element of it too sometimes, as a bit of a side-effect - rather than something I actively look for. I think it's really more about - just enjoying myself, for my own person reasons and in my own ways, whenever I have energy for and feel in the mood for it, and what I feel will be entertaining for myself to play around iwth . Whether or not others interact with me or not, kind of takes a back seat to that a lot of the time~

Lolz - I guess that does make me sound pretty antisocial or a bit self-centered and selfish or unreliable in some ways, doing so many things mainly when and because I feel like them, rather than out of - say, any particular sense of responsibility towards ARM or the members here or whatever. I do care about those things too, but not all the time. Just occasionally, when there are problems in those kinds of areas that get my attention for a bit.

When - for instance - I post in some subjects to help to moderate something that's getting a bit touchy - I guess I mainly do it for myself, rather than for those other people. I like being able to enjoy myself. And well, things being too tense or awkward or whatever, gets in the way of that, so I like to get the problem out of the way, so that I can go back to being random and enjoying myself like usual~. I'm only really ever altruistic or kind or diplomatic or whatever, when I feel like it, rather than making it some kind of rule for myself that I always need to follow no matter what.

Anyway, meh. I guess I wrote a bunch of random things this time too~

Later then ARM~

Wizzard.
Member Avatar

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Members and Community · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Ar tonelico series, characters, and artwork © 2006-2010 GUST CO., LTD. and NBGI

Skin orginally created by Tariq | Converted by Lewis of the ZetaBoard Theme Zone