Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

A Reyvateil's Melody

Ar tonelico fan site forums.

Add Reply
  • Pages:
[Tutorial] Ar tonelico II on PS3
Topic Started: Jan 9 2015, 11:21 AM (2,011 Views)
VenTK
Yep! Ar tonelico II is perfectly playable on PlayStation 3 consoles! And I mean every single variant (except the super slim, but I'll get to that in a bit). If you didn't know, when you inserted the Ar tonelico II disk into a backwards-compatible PS3, the disk would boot up, but after the PlayStation 2 logo would appear on-screen, the screen would remain black, and you'd be forced to quit out of the game using the XMB. I'm going to show you a way to avoid this black screen, so you'll be able to play the game.

Keep in mind, I've never written a tutorial before, so I don't know how useful this'll be for people.

What you'll need:
- Ar tonelico II (in .iso format)
- PlayStation 3 console (must be on custom firmware or on firmware 3.55 or lower)
- A computer (just for getting your files ready)
- A USB flash drive or a USB external HDD (absolutely must be in NTFS format)

Note: You must have custom firmware on your console to utilize the black screen fix, as you need to alter the files of the game - something that can only be done on custom (unofficial) firmware. There are a few ways to get custom firmware on your PS3. Whichever way you proceed, you MUST have a PS3 that ran or could run official firmware 3.55. So, if you own one of the newer super slim models that was released way AFTER ofw 3.55 became obsolete, you're completely stuck here. That being said, even some of the normal slim consoles share this same fate, and I won't be explaining how to install cfw, so go search online. I won't go into how to obtain an iso file either, as you should already know that. As for your USB drive, NTFS is necessary because you need to transfer files over 4GB; this is something that is not possible on FAT32 devices.

Step 1: Installing ReactPSN on your PS3
To be honest, PS2 Classics wasn't really helpful to me, as I didn't know how to use the fix with it. But as it was the first thing I installed, it's best to be safe and just install it. To summarize, PS2 Classics is an application for your PS3 that allows you to play [pretty much every] PS2 game via emulation that's different to what you'd see on a BC PS3.

This tutorial tells you pretty much everything you need to do to get PS2Classics installed:
http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=53694

However, the important thing is to install ReactPSN. It's another app for your PS3 that... well, does something to the license of your games that makes it so that you don't need to be connected to PSN to play them. I don't know the whole deal with it, but when you install a game, it gets assigned an owner. That owner has to own an account on your PS3 for you to be able to play the games. This app creates a new profile on your PS3 that is the owner. Well, something like that.

Download and install this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/50y79s6ar6ryvtu/rEActPSN+REPACK+BY+CED.rar
(mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tdpy3ibdcsm4it8/RetroXMB-Beta-3--Leaked-Release.7z)

Link provided by this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb6G4WLR-u4

Watch the video - he shows how to set it up. It's not too complicated.

Step 2: Installing a File Manager
This is easy. Use Multiman. Multiman is useful because it's got a nifty file manager, but it also turns PS2 .isos into a file format that is compatible with PS2 Classics (the app I mentioned in Step 1). However, for Ar tonelico 2 (which has the black screen bug), this method is useless. For this reason, we're only using Multiman for its file manager functionality. You can find Multiman on the internet - the version you need depends on what sort of console you have. You need to set Multiman to allow NTFS compatibility.

If you don't like Multiman, or your drives won't show up in its file manager, you can use IrisMan instead. I haven't used it, but I've read it's got a really simple, easy-to-use file manager built in.

Step 3: Creating Ar tonelico 2 for PS3
Ar tonelico 2 isn't available on the PSN, so it's not possible to get it onto your XMB as a game shortcut by normal means... but it's definitely possible by abnormal means! ;)
What we use here is RetroXMB. This is an application for Windows that turns .iso files into an encrypted format that is read by PS3s. This is the same as what Multiman does with PS2 .isos, but RetroXMB can do MUCH more.

But first, here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/27b24n5q1p8wirx/RetroXMB+Beta+3-+Leaked+Release.7z
Link provided by this guy again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPolELhGzJk

This guy's videos really helped when I was sorting this out for myself, haha! Again, watch the video for instructions.

The software allows you to change/add the background image, background music and preview video of your games to make them look like legit PS3 games. Anyway, just follow the instructions in that video to make a .pkg (package) file. In At2's case, the resulting .pkg will be way larger than 4GB, so unlike the guy in the video, you need an NTFS drive. Just copy it to the root of your drive, connect the drive to your PS3 and simply install it. It should take quite a while, but that's to be expected.

In RetroXMB, you can change the code of your game before compiling the .pkg. Make sure to remember what name you give it. You need to locate it later on. By the way, I called mine "PS2ARTON2" or something. Also, remember to patch the game with the re-translation BEFORE creating the .pkg! Otherwise, the game you'll get will be the original At2 with the botched translation and game breaking bugs!

Step 4: The Black Screen fix
The steps above were easy to understand because there are plenty of tutorials and posts on the internet. But this part was extremely frustrating to sort out. There's virtually nothing regarding this on the internet, apart from a few people complaining on NISA's forums :^^;:

It's actually thanks to a user here that I discovered a single file that can fix the bug - Satoh. I don't think he's active here anymore, though, but some time ago, he linked me to a CONFIG file. This CONFIG file had apparently been obtained from the Japanese release of Mana Khemia, but could be used with both At1 & At2 - both games caused a black screen when booted on PS3.

Here's the link to the CONFIG: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/57ej66tzs8intzh/78TBqoK8-d/Ar%20tonelico%20II%20Melody%20of%20Metafalica%20%5BSLUS21788%5D/CONFIG
Link provided by this person: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-yNeoQMAds

The video doesn't show you how to use the CONFIG file. Furthermore, the uploader actually uses PS2 Classics to run the game! For whatever reason, PS2 Classics would not work with this fix for me, forcing me to use the RetroXMB workaround.

What you need to do is simple:
Download the CONFIG file to your USB.
Place the USB in your PS3.
Open your file manager of choice.
Navigate to the installation directory of the .pkg you just installed.
(For me, it was dev_hdd0 -> game -> PS2ARTON2 (or whatever you named your .pkg) -> USRDIR)
Copy and paste the CONFIG file inside USRDIR. The folder should now have: a folder called SAVEDATA, the newly copied CONFIG, ISO.BIN.EDAT, ISO.BIN.ENC and package.conf.

Congratulations! You've just made yourself a working version of Ar tonelico 2 for your PS3! The game will found under PlayStation 2 on your XMB.
Here's a video I made showing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAossfjdwMY

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Edit: Formatting
Edited by VenTK, Jan 17 2017, 11:20 PM.
Member Avatar

Quote Post Goto Top Offline Profile
Len
Just curious. What's your CFW?
Member Avatar

Kazkari
Thank you, this could be useful, it really is a shame they didn't re release them officially though. I'm still kinda paranoid about installing things on my PS3 incase it bricks, what are the changes of it bricking with that software?
Member Avatar
~ Ultimate Chimera ~
Posted Image
"through shunning me in my grief and treating me like a leopard, they have shown me that I am a social piranha"
VenTK
I'm not familiar at all with custom firmware, as I only installed it to play Ar tonelico II =/

I installed cfw on my old phat PS3 that was originally on 3.15 firmware. I updated it to 3.55 official firmware, and then to 4.55 Rogero firmware, the latest Rogero release. I chose Rogero because I've read online that his custom firmwares are reliable.

As for bricking, I don't know. I didn't do much research on the side effects of installing cfw, as I was working with a broken PS3 that I wasn't using anyway. I've read that you can brick your console if you install firmwares that are lower than the firmware that you're currently on, but this can only be done on cfw in the first place. What firmware are you currently on? I might be able to help you depending on what your console is on.
Member Avatar

Kazkari
I was eventually going to install CFW when Sony stopped updating their PS3's but that still will probably be afew years.

I've got a European, slim PS3 with the current 4.66 firmware.
Member Avatar
~ Ultimate Chimera ~
Posted Image
"through shunning me in my grief and treating me like a leopard, they have shown me that I am a social piranha"
VenTK
Ah... well, I'm afraid you're in a bind with this one. Switching to custom firmware isn't as easy as just downloading an update. You have to be on official firmware 3.55 to install custom firmware, as 3.55 is the only firmware that has the "flaw" that allows you to run 3rd party stuff.
Member Avatar

Omegasword
There are ways of downgrading your firmware to 3.55, but it isn't as easy as on PSP. It may be faster/easier/safer to look for a used PS3 with OFW 3.55 or less installed (you can still get OFW 3.55 on the internet) and continue from there if you're not good at handling technical stuff (software & hardware). But don't take my word for granted, I just started reading a tutorial on downgrading the PS3 firmware five minutes ago.

I'd like you to not ask for downgrading firmwares, installing CFWs on a console and related topics in the public parts of ARM. We're not on our own server, that kind of talk could get us deleted. There are enough tutorials on the internet. I could find them, I'm sure you can, too.

My PS3 is most likely also on 4.66. I won't try any sort of hacking until I'm done with all of my PS3 games forever. There are some other reasons why I'm not going for a CFW right now.
I'd rather buy another one just for a CFW rather than doing it on my current PS3.

Kazkari
Thats fine thanks for the advice, I still think waiting till the PS3 is at its end with no more updates is best since they wont care at that point and people have time to work around whatever firmware they are on.

I think I could look them all up if needs be atleast.

PS3's should become very very cheap in the next few years I think so I might keep an eye on that lol.
Member Avatar
~ Ultimate Chimera ~
Posted Image
Len
Welp I gave up. :T_T: Still got the Black Screen. :(
Edited by Len, Jan 15 2015, 04:55 AM.
Member Avatar

VenTK
Len
Jan 15 2015, 04:55 AM
Welp I gave up. :T_T: Still got the Black Screen. :(
Did you follow my instructions exactly? I don't think I missed anything out... Did you get any error messages or anything?

Yeah, I'm not really comfortable talking about hacking consoles because 1) I hardly know anything about it, and 2) it's a touchy subject for some. It's perfectly legal to hack your own devices, but it's very easy to drift into the "dark side". I don't think we'll have that problem here, though.
Member Avatar

Len
Followed everything. No errors of any sort. Only "No Signal Found" (Which is my TV way of saying nothing to display). :^^;:
Member Avatar

VenTK
What do you get when you press the PS button (the circle button in the middle that brings up the XMB)?
Member Avatar

Len
It's not possible to connect the controller wireless-ly, so I connect it using the controller charging wire. Even after that it still won't load. Even if I click the PS button nothing comes up, not even the menu that allow me to quit the game or the XMB. :augh:
Edited by Len, Jan 16 2015, 01:47 AM.
Member Avatar

aquagon
Couldn't it be that the PS3 changes the image resolution or frequency to one your TV doesn't support upon trying to boot up the game?
Member Avatar
Hymmnos Researcher
[hymmnos]Was ki ga rete omnis zash en crudea...[/hymmnos]
[arciela]onaarr tyys ceefbb.[/arciela]
Ochis meya, baprou, zaebaralia sos...
chia zosph pheile simalea...

Posted Image

WEL OLRY SIO, LE FEL HORY NEO FEL ORY, ARY SE WEL.
LEE WEL NEL FORY, ARIA SIE ESTIA WEL SE FEL ESTY.

Posted Image
Len
My TV is neither too old or too new. So.....I am not really sure about resolution, the highest my TV can go is 1080p as for lowest is 480p. As for the frequency, I have no idea what's that. XD
Member Avatar

aquagon
Well then, let me try asking it in a different way: can you play any other PS2 games in your PS3 with no similar issues?
Member Avatar
Hymmnos Researcher
[hymmnos]Was ki ga rete omnis zash en crudea...[/hymmnos]
[arciela]onaarr tyys ceefbb.[/arciela]
Ochis meya, baprou, zaebaralia sos...
chia zosph pheile simalea...

Posted Image

WEL OLRY SIO, LE FEL HORY NEO FEL ORY, ARY SE WEL.
LEE WEL NEL FORY, ARIA SIE ESTIA WEL SE FEL ESTY.

Posted Image
Len
Haven't thought about trying another game. But I will give it a shot, will come back with the result tomorrow. :miibox:
Edited by Len, Jan 16 2015, 04:07 AM.
Member Avatar

VenTK
If it's not your TV, then it's your game. Are you sure you copied the CONFIG file to the proper place? What I think is the problem is that you're still getting the black screen bug.

Another possibility is a faulty controller. See, when a PS3 launches a PS2 game (be it on official or custom firmware), the console boots into emulator mode. This means that the PS3 sort of turns off and turns on again. The same goes for when you quit a PS2 game on a PS3. This means that your controller will turn off as soon as your PS2 game launches or closes, and you'll need to turn it on again. Maybe your PS3 isn't recognizing your controller once it's in PS2 emulator mode. If have a different controller, you can try using that.

Anyway, if you manage to get another PS2 game working, it's the black screen issue for sure.
Edited by VenTK, Jan 16 2015, 07:52 AM.
Member Avatar

Len
Sadly I don't have any other remote. :-_-;:

And about trying another game I will get back to you guys next week Monday, not tomorrow. :miibox:
Edited by Len, Jan 16 2015, 10:22 AM.
Member Avatar

Len
AND THEN IT WORKS!!!!

The problem was I am not on Rogero. I was on Rebug which is my bad because I did not check first before trying your tutorial. In Rebug there is something else I need to do in order to play PS2 games which is enabling Cobra.

Still....Thank you Aquagon and VenTK for your time. Truly appreciate it.
Edited by Len, Jan 16 2015, 01:13 PM.
Member Avatar

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Ar tonelico 2 Retranslation Project · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Ar tonelico series, characters, and artwork © 2006-2010 GUST CO., LTD. and NBGI

Skin orginally created by Tariq | Converted by Lewis of the ZetaBoard Theme Zone