Ar tonelico fan site forums.

Add Reply
  • Pages:
What names should we go with?
Use the NISA/Koei-Tecmo names 2 (18.2%)
Use the proper German names 9 (81.8%)
Total Votes: 11
Atelier Marie + Elie PS2 Translation Project
Topic Started: Sep 3 2016, 10:41 PM (8,496 Views)
aquagon
Hi, everyone!

As some of you might know by this time, I'm the current translator for the Atelier Marie + Elie project that RyleFury is leading over at Atelier Traduction.
So far we have translated the entirety of Marie, though we still have something of a long road to finish translating Elie.

Below you can see some screenshots of how things are coming along at the moment:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Now well, I also need to announce we're looking for an editor.
If you wish to apply for the position, please contact me via PM and I'll send you a couple of the scripts I've translated at this point in time to test your skills and see if you are fit for helping us with completing these games' translation.

We've found and appointed an editor by now. Thanks to everyone who participated in the tests for their interest!

I hope you all are interested on this!

3/18/2018 Update: The translation patch is now out!

Release trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJcsxakpP_4

Official release post: http://ateliertraduction.forumactif.org/t31-release-of-the-atelier-marie-elie-s-english-patch-on-ps2

The links to the patch are in the official release post. I hope you all enjoy these games as much as we enjoyed worked on them!
Edited by aquagon, Mar 18 2018, 04:15 PM.
Member Avatar
Hymmnos Researcher
[hymmnos]Was ki ga rete omnis zash en crudea...[/hymmnos]
[arciela]onaarr tyys ceefbb.[/arciela]
Ochis meya, baprou, zaebaralia sos...
chia zosph pheile simalea...

Posted Image

WEL OLRY SIO, LE FEL HORY NEO FEL ORY, ARY SE WEL.
LEE WEL NEL FORY, ARIA SIE ESTIA WEL SE FEL ESTY.

Posted Image
Quote Post Goto Top Offline Profile
Thunder
So wait, Marie + Elie was two separate games? I always thought it was a single new game featuring both characters. Otherwise, the screens look good! The graphics look a lot more polished than the PS1 ver, is it a different version? Giving me flashbacks to last year just the same, though XD
Member Avatar
Aurica's Oracle & Arcadia's Vanguard
Aurica Nestmile's #1 fan!
The Thunder of Arcadia Army Creed
PURGE COUNT: 273
aquagon
Yep, this game is actually an enhanced port of the PSX Ateliers that includes both games in a single disc, featuring improved visuals and revamped minigames for Marie. However, it does so at the cost of removing the original intros and the extra menus from both games.
Member Avatar
Hymmnos Researcher

Posted Image

Posted Image
Palsa
Excellent work Aquagon. ^_^
I'm pretty sure Gust also released a version for the DreamCast and PS2 titled under the name of Atelier Marie and Elie: Alchemists of Salburg, which if I recall correctly was a revamped version of the two original games, possibly with a bonus segment connecting the two stories, but I'm not completely sure if that's what it was.
Member Avatar
General of Aurda
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
aquagon
Okay, here I'm to announce that we've found an editor. Similarly, I expect the project to continue progressing smoothly now I've returned from my vacations, but it's still going to take me some time to finish up the script for Atelier Elie, as it is far more extensive than Marie's.
Member Avatar
Hymmnos Researcher

Posted Image

Posted Image
aquagon
And to give you all an update on this project, I'm pleased to announce that the translation for both Marie and Elie is complete!
We're now editing the texts.
Member Avatar
Hymmnos Researcher

Posted Image

Posted Image
Thunder
Congrats, aqua-kun! :D
Member Avatar
Aurica's Oracle & Arcadia's Vanguard
Aurica Nestmile's #1 fan!
The Thunder of Arcadia Army Creed
PURGE COUNT: 273
aquagon
Ok, time for another update: we've finished editing and reviewing the scripts for both games. We're now ready to make the first test builds and start checking up the translated games for any bugs that may have resulted from the modifications made to it.
Member Avatar
Hymmnos Researcher

Posted Image

Posted Image
matymeatboy
aquagon
Jun 22 2017, 12:29 AM
Ok, time for another update: we've finished editing and reviewing the scripts for both games. We're now ready to make the first test builds and start checking up the translated games for any bugs that may have resulted from the modifications made to it.
Can i test it? i have PS2 Fat with HDD so i can pass the fixed iso anytime you want.
I've talked you in youtube too, email me
Maty15987@gmail.com

aquagon
Okay, just coming by to announce that tests are going well so far. All bugs we've encountered have been fixed, Marie is fully tested, and Elie is done in about a 90% now, so tests should be done in a few more days. Also, we added a few additional things to the game for you all to look forward to...

However, we've encountered a bit of a dilemma:
Given that several of the items in these games also reappear in the Atelier games that were officially localized for the West by NISA and Koei-Tecmo, but their names here are wrong or bastardized versions of actual German terms and names...

Should we use the NISA and Koei-Tecmo names, or should we use instead the proper German names?

Please tell us your impressions on this matter.
Member Avatar
Hymmnos Researcher

Posted Image

Posted Image
Utsuho Lazy
aquagon
Aug 14 2017, 11:07 PM
Should we use the NISA and Koei-Tecmo names, or should we use instead the proper German names?
I'd put a vote for proper German names.
Member Avatar

e-Knight
+1 for using proper German. I personally believe that localizing stuff properly would be much more in line with the overall philosophy of your translation works (i.e. getting right the parts where official translations have failed rather than staying consistent with bastardized adaptations that are wrong in the first place).
Member Avatar

Saki
Definitely proper german!
It's really a pain having to read the words NISA & KT use(d), while knowing how it should be spelt/used instead...... =/
Member Avatar
-dreaming girl-

Posted Image
@stellatiria | pixiv ID:3759620 | stellatiria.deviantart.com | Sakiya @MFC

Posted Image
Seksalis
Like they said.

For me it's more a feeling of trust: we all know how hard you work and how much you think before making a decision, so just with the "restore the proper names" line I think that the general feeling of the game will be better.
And cool.
Member Avatar

Posted Image
aquagon
Ok guys, here's an update on the project's status:

All the items, terms and proper names have been changed to their proper German forms, which we consulted with a native German speaker to make sure there no were mistakes in spelling or anything.
We've also finished implementing all the additions the patch will include alongside the translation. Finally, the first set of tests I conducted have reached their end, and now RyleFury will be conducting the second set of tests. Once he's finished, we'll be announcing the next phase in the project.
Member Avatar
Hymmnos Researcher

Posted Image

Posted Image
aquagon
Ok guys, our internal tests are halfway through and should be wrapped up in a couple more weeks, so on the meantime, I want to announce we're looking right now for betatesters.

These are the requirements we need from prospective testers:

-Have enough free time to devote to the project.
-Be responsible and diligent with the tests.
-Have a good command of the English language. One of the testers should also be a perfectionist with the language's usage and handle it well enough in both its standard form and at least in some of its dialects, like the southern drawl.

Please leave your applications in this thread. The selection process for the testers will be announced once this test session is complete, and I'll post another update when that happens.
Member Avatar
Hymmnos Researcher

Posted Image

Posted Image
Elfeni
Me me me! I've been looking for Atelier project translations for years now and after a long time came back searching for them. I'm so happy to hear this project is finally coming to the beta testing *-* Atelier series has been my favorite game series for years. Atelier Iris 1 was the first one and now I own all the physical copies of official english translated atelier games. I am finnish maths teacher but I do have pretty good english too. Especially english grammary. Feel free to contact me for beta testing ♡

Sherkel
Wow, great to see this is finally in its beta testing stages! I've been keeping my eye on this for a while as the Salburg games are my favorites from this series. I keep coming up short when trying to explain why (maybe this person's onto something?), but that hasn't stopped them from being the ones I've enjoyed more thoroughly than any of the others. I'd love it if they could finally gain some sort of Western audience. Each of these have absolutely massive amounts of text, so I'm really impressed at all the dedication and effort that eventually led to this ambitious project's completion.

That said, I facepalmed when I saw the choice had been made to use item names that would alienate current fans of the series. This is an Atelier game, not a German vocabulary course, so there's nothing proper at all about changing the names that have already been decided on by the official localization team. If someone was localizing the 3DS version of Rorona, it would feel a bit awkward handing a "Nuss" to "Esti Erhard" when I'll be seeing the official names in every other anglicized incarnation of Arland. That's just my two cents; it looks like I noticed it too late to do anything about it and would have been outnumbered anyway, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed after all the hard work that went into this project.

Once I figure out how to patch those back over, I wouldn't mind being a beta tester! However, time is a big issue, and for that reason I don't think I would be able to offer much to you all anytime soon. I do know my way around Salburg fairly well, at least on the first game, so if you don't have anyone else, I could give it a shot. Otherwise I'll just wait patiently as two of my favorite games finally get a much-needed translation. :)
Member Avatar

RyleFury
You know, there are not so many items with a german name and that doesn't change anything to the fun of the game. These are some examples:

Canone Rock (no meaning) -> Kanone Rock (translated by "Cannon")
Craft (bad and strange meaning) -> Kraft (translated by "Force")
Huffin (no meaning) -> Hoffen (translated by "Hope").

As you can see, we wanted to do that for a good reason and that was the choice of the developers to translate a lot of words into the german language, there are not the items only. I would be surprised if you were lost because of these words, really.

Anyway, a poll was set up for that and people made up their mind.

Incidentally, thank you to Omegasword for translating these german names with the good spelling and the meaning behind :)
Edited by RyleFury, Sep 23 2017, 07:38 AM.
Member Avatar

Atelier Marie + Elie in english project: http://ateliertraduction.forumactif.org/
Elfeni
For me it doesn't really matter if they're original german names or NISA/Koei-Tecmo names. Of course we are more used to NISA/Koei-Tecmo names since those names are what we have been playing with. But then again, why not use original german names if we can choose? It might at first feel a bit weird but they might be closer to what those names should be. Whichever is fine for me C:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GUST Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Ar tonelico series, characters, and artwork © 2006-2010 GUST CO., LTD. and NBGI

Skin orginally created by Tariq | Converted by Lewis of the ZetaBoard Theme Zone