Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

A Reyvateil's Melody

Ar tonelico fan site forums.

Add Reply
  • Pages:
The "Random ____ fact" topic
Topic Started: Jun 20 2013, 02:20 AM (11,146 Views)
ArcadiaLegend
Fact: I am bringing this topic over!
Fact 2: Happy fact telling everyone :D
Member Avatar
Thunder's Reyvateil and Guardian of Luca
Arcadia herePosted ImagePosted Imageto serve my Luca-sama!
Posted Image
The Thunder of Arcadia Army Creed!
Posted ImagePosted Image
Quote Post Goto Top Offline Profile
Thunder
Fact: So far all attempts to stop the ants have failed.
Fact 2: I guess tomorrow is going to get interesting *sigh*
Member Avatar
Aurica's Oracle & Arcadia's Vanguard
Aurica Nestmile's #1 fan!
The Thunder of Arcadia Army Creed
PURGE COUNT: 273
Sonwe
Fact: Tomorrow I'll make rice pudding!
Member Avatar
Bow down and let's get with it.♥♫ *wink*
Posted Image
People are paid to do Lolita Sonwellia's dirty work.~♥
Thanks iruje for the sprite and Geiky for making it into an avie.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Aekari Tennou
Since this is the Random ____ fact topic...

Random Greenlandic Language Fact: In Greenlandic orthography, the lengths of certain consonants may be expressed as follows, where X is the consonant.

Default length: X
Twice default length: XX
Four times default length: rX

So for example, the consonant "p" expressed by itself is of default length. If it appears as "pp," the length is twice as long as if it were just "p." If it's "rp," the length is four times as long as "p" or twice as long as "pp."
Edited by Aekari Tennou, Jun 24 2013, 08:06 PM.
Member Avatar
英国で生まれた帰国子女の金剛デース!
Posted Image

Shurelia and KongouDESS in the chatroom.
ichimani
Fact: I have two luggages in my room waiting to be filled yet I've been roaming around the internet for the whole day today.
Fact 2: I haven't even find a place to stay.

Fact 3: I is doomed.
Member Avatar
Lord of the Hordes
Posted Image
Aekari Tennou
Random Hmong Language Fact: Hmong is a tonal language, like Thai, Chinese languages, Vietnamese, Twi, Yoruba, and other languages. This means that words in Hmong may sound the same and differ only in what pitch is used to say the word. Because of this, tonal languages are often said to be musical in quality. Because of this tonal identity, and because Hmong has many tones, a sentence like this can pop up:

"Pov pom pov pog pov pob pos los-poj?"

In this sentence, all the words except for "los" are pronounced "po." The letters at the end signify what pitch should be used when pronouncing the word. It means "Pao saw Pao's grandmother throw a thorny ball, right?" and to the untrained ear would sound like "Po po po po po po po lo po?"
Edited by Aekari Tennou, Jun 24 2013, 08:06 PM.
Member Avatar
英国で生まれた帰国子女の金剛デース!
Posted Image

Twilight Sky
Fact: Something GOOD finally happened to me.
Fact: Every year has been terrible since 2010.
Edited by Twilight Sky, Jun 24 2013, 09:02 PM.
Member Avatar
The Last Pureblooded ß-type
Was quel ra rre ganna sphilar na handeres art na apea
Ma num ga wearequewie netvear den na netvear art erlla melenas has
Thunder
Fact: There has been way too much chaos this past week.
Fact 2: Some of it got settled over the weekend, but the bulk of it still carries on.
Member Avatar
Sonwe
Fact: A male dolphin will sometimes "copulate" with another's dolphin (regardless of male or female) breathing orifice. This makes the dolphin the only known animal to engage nasal sex.
Member Avatar
Bow down and let's get with it.♥♫ *wink*
Posted Image
People are paid to do Lolita Sonwellia's dirty work.~♥
Thanks iruje for the sprite and Geiky for making it into an avie.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Aekari Tennou
Random Korean and Japanese Language Fact: China, and as a result the Chinese language, has played a major part in Korean and Japanese history, so much so that many Korean and Japanese words are derived from Chinese, and Chinese characters are usable if one desires in Korean and almost obligatory in certain contexts in Japanese.

A distinct difference, however, between how Korean and Japanese uses Chinese characters, which are called "hanja" in Korean and "kanji" in Japanese, is what is allowed to be written in hanja/kanji should one desire to use it. Because of the Chinese influence, the bulk of Korean vocabulary can be divided into "native Korean" and "Sino-Korean" vocabulary, and likewise, the bulk of Japanese vocabulary can be divided into "native Japanese" and "Sino-Japanese" vocabulary. "Sino-" is a prefix which refers to China or Chinese stuff.

Whether a word is native Korean or Sino-Korean is the dividing line for whether it can be written in hanja or not. This distinction doesn't seem to exist in Japanese. In Korean, all hanja have a reading which is in some way derived from the Chinese, while in Japanese, kanji have a reading based on the native word to which the kanji has been attached as well as a reading that's derived from the Chinese.

To demonstrate this more concretely, we'll take the word for "sea" in both languages. In Japanese, the native Japanese word is "umi," and in Korean, the native Korean word is "bada." In Chinese, the word is "hai," which was inherited by Japanese as "kai" and Korean as "hae."

The word for navy in Sino-Japanese is "kaigun," which is written 海軍 and literally means "sea army." As discussed earlier, "kai" is derived from Chinese "hai;" "gun" is derived from Chinese "jun." So in Japanese, "haijun" becomes "kaigun." In Sino-Korean, the word is "haegun," which can be written 海軍 in hanja or 해군 in hangeul. Overall, we can see that the words are related because of their Chinese origin: haijun, kaigun, haegun.

If we take "sea" by itself, which is "hai" in Chinese, in Japanese it's "umi," which can be written as うみ but should be written as 海. On the other hand, if we take the Korean word "bada," if an overly ambitious learner of hanja writes "bada" as 海, he is mistaken, as hanja are never used to write native Korean words. Instead, he must use the hangeul form 바다. The reason native Korean words are given in hanja dictionaries is not to present an alternative reading to the hanja, but rather simply to define them using a native Korean word.

In other words, 海 may be read "umi" or "kai" in Japanese depending on its context. However, because hanja are only used to write Sino-Korean words in Korean, 海 must always be read "hae" and not "bada," as whenever it may be found, it will always be part of a Sino-Korean compound.
Edited by Aekari Tennou, Jun 26 2013, 06:01 AM.
Member Avatar
英国で生まれた帰国子女の金剛デース!
Posted Image

ichimani
Fact: I finished packing. Only a few of my things are left in this apartment. Sad.
Fact 2: My room is now possessed by my sister.
Fact 3: Can't wait for the new life that awaits me.
Member Avatar
Lord of the Hordes
Posted Image
Aekari Tennou
Random Aekari Fact: Aekari really wants to play Mahou Tsukai no Yoru. He's really excited for a Type Moon visual novel that's NOT an eroge.
Member Avatar
英国で生まれた帰国子女の金剛デース!
Posted Image

Thunder
Fact: At first moving the forum worried me, but now it seems like things'll be alright.

"Aekari Tennou"

Random Aekari Fact: Aekari really wants to play Mahou Tsukai no Yoru. He's really excited for a Type Moon visual novel that's NOT an eroge.

Wait, what? Those exist?! :blink:

Fact 2: I'm intrigued by this.
Member Avatar
奈落天魔
Fact: Having a fresh start is, well, refreshing!
Fact 2: I lost my phone charger somewhere. Fun.

Fact 3: Never mind, I found it. It was in my car hiding in plain sight all along.
Fact 4: A friend of mine who's moving left me a small stack of drawing instructional books on the porch. For that I'm really excited to look in them and I'm eternally grateful.
Edited by 奈落天魔, Jun 27 2013, 01:44 PM.
Friendly Neighborhood Barrel Goddess
Twilight Sky
Fact: Ar Tonelico is the only game series I own where I own the entire collection(all 3 games).
Fact: Dynasty Warriors is a close second(DW4 all the way to DW7 Empires)
Member Avatar
Aekari Tennou
Thunder
Jun 27 2013, 12:10 PM
Fact: At first moving the forum worried me, but now it seems like things'll be alright.

"Aekari Tennou"

Wait, what? Those exist?! :blink:

Fact 2: I'm intrigued by this.
Not-So-Random TYPE-MOON Fact: All TYPE-MOON visual novels, at least in their original release form, have been eroge to some extent. TM broke this chain when they released Mahou Tsukai no Yoru, their first non-eroge visual novel.

Not-So-Random Canadian French Fact: As Lazy mentioned above, "n'est pas" is correctly pronounced /nɛpa/, which he described as somewhat similar to the pronunciation of "Nepal," but without the "l". In Quebec, the pronunciation of "n'est pas" is even closer to "Nepal" without the "l" and would be transcribed as /nɛpɑ/.

Random Aekari Fact: Aekari uses Quebec French pronunciation when he reads or speaks French, despite not being from Quebec....or Canada for that matter.
Member Avatar
英国で生まれた帰国子女の金剛デース!
Posted Image

Twilight Sky
Fact: People think there is a "t" in my real name as spell it as such T_T.
Member Avatar
Thunder
Twilight Sky
Jun 28 2013, 11:41 AM
Fact: People do a similar thing with my name.
Fact 2: People put E's in my first name when they spell it out.
Fact 3: There are no E's in my first name.
Member Avatar
Aekari Tennou
Random Aekari fact: The first language book he ever personally owned that he can remember is a "First 100 words in Italian" picture dictionary, which he acquired around the first grade.
Member Avatar
英国で生まれた帰国子女の金剛デース!
Posted Image

ArcadiaLegend
Twilight Sky
Jun 28 2013, 11:41 AM
Fact: That's like people wanting to put an N in my parent's last name ^o)
Fact 2: It's Hutchison but people always want to say or spell it Hutchinson for whatever reason.
Fact 3: This week has really blown so far :(
Member Avatar
Thunder's Reyvateil and Guardian of Luca
Arcadia herePosted ImagePosted Imageto serve my Luca-sama!
Posted Image
The Thunder of Arcadia Army Creed!
Posted ImagePosted Image
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Rakshek Resort · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Ar tonelico series, characters, and artwork © 2006-2010 GUST CO., LTD. and NBGI

Skin orginally created by Tariq | Converted by Lewis of the ZetaBoard Theme Zone