Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

A Reyvateil's Melody

Ar tonelico fan site forums.

Add Reply
  • Pages:
Graphics Editing
Topic Started: Jun 24 2013, 11:13 PM (2,380 Views)
Soukyuu
Posted Image
Graphics still needing editing
  • Dolby surround opening: not possible without a tool allowing to mux .adx and .ac3 audio to the same file. If someone knows one, or can write one, feel free to post.
  • Lazy -> Slow; Bam -> Fast on AT2_SYSTEM_MOJI2_2.tim Japanese version has it just as informal.
  • logo rotation on unknown recipe items asymmetric; possibly fixable by padding; AT2_ITEM_P2.tm2 Done.
  • I.P.D. -> IPD on BTL_IPD_NO.tm2 Done.
  • I.P.D. -> IPD on IPD_PARTS.tm2 (multipalette!) Done.
  • Cloud Block Hills -> Clouds Wharf on map names. Done.
  • Making the tm2 files for Luca's Deathlandia. Done.
  • Changing Judgement to Judgment Done.
  • Fixing the colons in the Battle Log screen. Done.
  • Updating the ending credits video (Goro -> Gengoro). Done.

Some general notes

Fonts:
  • subs: Lucida Grande (1:1 match!)
  • project metafalica logo: Data Control (1:1 match!)
  • game font: probably a variation of AF Generation AZA font (commercial)
  • gust logo: Levi Brush

Logo:
  • the .psd is in my ftp folder, including the fonts needed

Video:
  • PS2 can only play 4:2:0 video, Main@Main. Max bitrate ~10Mbps
Edited by Soukyuu, Jun 4 2016, 07:25 PM.
Member Avatar
蒼穹
Quote Post Goto Top Offline Profile
Soukyuu
Editing .tm2 with multiple CLUTs

Posted Image

All I did was editing the file as usual, then open both the edited and original file in a hex editor and copied only the data without the header over to the original file. It also seems that the other CLUT is stored at the end of the file, since there was a section of data missing after saving with outdated OPTPiX.
Member Avatar
蒼穹
Soukyuu
Editing .tm2 with alpha channel information

01. open one of dei_txx images with OPTPiX
02. save palette as .bap
03. save image as .psd
04. open image with photoshop
05. change to "channels" on the "layers" widget
06. click on the alpha1 channel and activate it. Now you will be only editing the alpha channel

Posted Image

07. proceed with editing, save when done
08. open .psd with OPTPiX. It will load it as 24bpp + alpha
09. right click on the image and select color conversion
10. select these settings on the tabs:

Posted Image

-> load the palette you extracted in step 2 here (has to be done for each image, don't forget it like i did... <_< )

Posted Image

Posted Image

11. click "color reduction", cancel turns to finish, click finish to close the window
12. if you press ctrl+E on both the original .tm2 file and the newly created copy of your edited .psd, you should see something like this:

Posted Image
top: original file; bottom, my edited file

The same method can be used for "problem" images a la Replekia/IPD radar, way less hassle than going through the palette switching colors. Just make sure you edit the image AND the alpha channel

edit: also, make sure to select "16 colors" as output for replekia.
Edited by Soukyuu, Dec 20 2013, 04:24 PM.
Member Avatar
蒼穹
Soukyuu
Handling .ipu files (courtesy of TerraBreaker)

Extracting from IPU files
For extracting from IPU files, we just used the LILIE export functionality (when ripping from RPK.BIN) since that automatically rips the single frames from the IPUs and creates a BMP. The only issue with this is you don't know which BMP goes with a particular IPU file but its quite easy to guess for the most part since they're in named folders. Bit of a pain but I lost most of the work I did on IPU files a while back so its the best I can do for the moment.

iirc the IPUCONV tool someone wrote for another game incorrectly decodes the IPU so the "blocks" that make up the video are messed up and out of order, so that was a no-go. The tool was written for genuine movie files rather than single frame IPU files so its unsurprising it doesn't work properly.

I've included LILIE in the above archive, very simple to use, just click File>Convert and navigate to the RPK.BIN file. LILIE will rip all the images to BMP format and will correctly decode the IPU files.

Creating M2Vs for PS2STR
-Open TMPGEnc Plus.
-Close the wizard if it pops up.
-File>New Project
-Drag your single BMP image into the TMPGEnc Plus application. For this example I'll use one of the reyvateils.
-Make sure Stream Type is set to ES(Video only)

-Click the Settings button. Configure your settings to match mine for each tab:

Posted Image
You want to use a Constant bitrate, maximum is 15000, I tested this on actual ps2 hardware and it worked fine.

Posted Image

Posted Image
(I think I-Picture only might work as well but I haven't tried it.)

Posted Image

-Once all the settings are configured correctly, make sure you've got an output file name selected in the main window and click "start". This will give you a single frame .m2v file that you'll need for the IPU conversion process.

Creating IPU Files in PS2STR
Once you've made your single frame m2v file, open up PS2str and open the "info" tab.
Change FileType to "6: MPEG2 Video", and browse for the .m2v file you made earlier (you'll need to adjust the "Files of type" dropdown box appropriately for m2v files to appear in Open file dialog).

A bunch of info will pop up:
Posted Image

-The only things that matter are the two items at the bottom, PS2 compliant & IPU Compliant. So long as these both say "yes" the resultant IPU file should work in the game. I will say that PS2STR can be extremely finnicky when deciding whether an m2v stream is compliant with the IPU/PS2 standard, the settings above are what I used to get it working in game, you might be able to tweak/adjust some settings or even use a different program (something like sony vegas maybe), just be sure that PS2STR says the m2v is compliant and it should work fine.
(M2V clips that are composed of one frame and one I-picture/frame seem to be what the IPU tool wants, they also must use the Main Profile & Main Level.)

-Once you've verified that your m2v file is compliant, click back to the IPU Convert tab, click the Add button and browse to the m2v file. Make sure that MPEG Video Elementary Stream is selected, set your Output directory to wherever you like and click start. If everything is successful,you'll get an IPU file in the output directory.

-From there, you simply replace the old IPU with your new one and rebuild the ISO using whatever method you prefer.
Member Avatar
蒼穹
Soukyuu
Discussion about costume names so far

aquagon

Okay then, here are my revisions on the costume names, as I wrote them for the Settei Book translation. Of course, I'm leaving out the ones we won't be modifying:

Luca

キリリッシュ: Stylish -> Tightlish
天仰女帝: Lady Emperor -> Heavengazing Empress
ソーサルマリア: Sorcerer Maria -> Sorcermalia
ヴィーナストリアル: Venus Torial -> Venustrial ("Venus" + "Terrestrial")

Cloche

メタモル委員長: Metamorole Model -> Metamol Committee President
愛染吉野: Summer Love -> Love-Colored Fields of Fortune
モガスタイル: Olmodern Style -> Modern Girl Style
ふわりあ: Fluffuria -> Airya (from "Airy")
ホワイティリス: Whiteris -> Whiteyris
ペペナ: Pippena -> Pepena

Jakuri

イモガール: Emo Girl -> Bumpkin Girl (see the director's comments for specifics on this).
スピリガンナー: Spirit Gunner -> Spree Gunner
長尺: Long Skirt -> Long
OBOT: FUNBOT -> FUNB-T ("Funbun" + "T" from T-shirt)
淑羽織: Lady Drape -> Graceful Haori

However, the rest of the team might want to review them and try the trim them down before we attempt adding them to the videos.

void

Judging by the available space on the costume screen in extras (which seems to be the narrowest place the costume names are displayed), the maximum character length we should stick to is probably 20 characters.

For some of those revisions I prefer NISA's more straightforward naming.

Stylish (though in-game "Stylishy" is used), since Tightlish sounds rather odd, and in her cosmosphere Luca talks about liking practical, chic clothes.
Summer Love, since it's a nice name and ties in with the L5 events without being whimsical and 31 characters long.
Oldmodern Style (which is used in-game rather than Olmodern Style) - again it's personal taste - I don't see what's "modern style" about that outfit.
Long Skirt rather than Long, since otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense, and it's obvious from the image and the description that's what it relates to.

For others:

I'd take Venustrial as a combination of Venus + industrial... or mechanical, since it's the robogirl costume. Is this trying to be a name like "Goddess on Earth", i.e. trying to reflect the nearest to perfection a human can be, or having aspects of both mortal and divine or some such?
I kinda like Fluffuria, since it sounds warm, comfortable and cute :) Though except for the slippers I guess airy describes it better than fluffy. I wonder if there's a more pyjama-like name than Airya though.
What's Metamol about? I assumed Meta was being used in the original name in the self-referential sense - Cloche (or Reisu in this case) perceives herself as being seen as a role model so she keeps trying to act like one.
Sorcermalia seems like a portmanteau that somewhat loses both of the original words Sorceress and Maria, if that's what it's intended to be. Interestingly two of the meanings of the name Maria are "rebellious" and "bitter", which go pretty nicely with this persona.

Pretty Viola should probably be Pretty Viole - that's the name used in the JP voice track, and kWhazit's used in Luca's cosmosphere (I think it's used in a few of Jakuri's cosmosphere events too, but mostly it's been Viola there too, so I've been changing it). Do we want Viola or Viole? Probably needs a name graphic change as well if we go with Viole.
What was Tres Super Bien originally called? Seems like it should be Super Tres Bien instead, so the French words are grouped together, and the English translation the slightly less horrible "Super Very Good" rather than "Very Super Good".

Finally using "Lady Emperor" rather than Empress is typical NISA.

Soukyuu

Luca
Spoiler: click to toggle

Cloche

Jakuri

Btw, I got the ar tonelico ~garden of the goddesses~ artbook today and they list some costumes which were translated differently.
Among them is Venustrial, or rather "Venus Trial", which kinda seems to fit.

I'll list the differencies:
Luca

Cloche

Jakuri
Member Avatar
蒼穹
Soukyuu
Things to do
void

There's also some graphic changes that still need doing, to fit the updated text (if Soukyuu doesn't have time for them, or they won't fit the existing name boundaries, then the text should be reverted):

Place Names:

• Night Shop Town -> Night Festival (MWM_PLACE1_1, MWM_PLACE2_1), as per slus 27
  • Home of Nostalgia -> Nostalgic Home(MWM_PLACE1_1, MWM_PLACE2_1), suggested in slus 27 (hardly essential though)
  • Skyfield Station -> Wackyhabara Station (MWM_PLACE1_4) as per slus 27
  • Enna Ruins Underpass -> Enna Underground (ATLAS_MOJI1_3)

Character Names:
  • Tarooga -> Taruga (AT2_NAME5) This is hardly essential, but seems like it would be a nice change "Tarooga" just sounds so undignified.
  • Nyo-chan -> Nyo (AT2_NAME1)

Song Magic Names. I don't think there's any argument over the ones I've given replacements for, though we might want to hold off on changing them until we've confirmed all the Song Magic names and they can be done together:
  • Cureynor -> Curolin (AT2_NAME4)
  • Curall -> Curola (AT2_NAME4)
  • Cureo -> Curello (AT2_NAME4)
  • Lady Momoyo -> Lady Byakuya (AT2_NAME4)
  • Crylady -> Nakime (AT2_NAME4)
  • Sweet Incense -> Soothing Incense (AT2_NAME5)
  • Reception Lights -> Receptionist Laser (AT2_NAME5)
  • Clumsy Bear -> Bungling Bear (AT2_NAME6)
  • Goddess of War -> Valkryja (AT2_NAME6)
  • Cursing Aid -> Cursing Aide (AT2_NAME6)
  • Possibly others in AT2_NAME* based on the Song Magic name decisions we haven't finalised yet: Loveydov, Pew, Icefall Dragon, Hot-Head Flag ?)

There's also some old Cosmosphere level names in OMAKE_MOJI* , but I don't think these are used anywhere (can anyone confirm this?), so this doesn't matter. A lot of these names were updated in slus 48.
Edited by Soukyuu, Jun 24 2013, 11:43 PM.
Member Avatar
蒼穹
Soukyuu
I finished converting the logo to a vector shape. This is what I have come up with for the NISA.ipu replacement:

[ Version A | Version B | Version C ]

One can play with hue shifts endlessly... First one is keeping the colors of the actual logo, second is trying to be in line with NISA's logo, third is a slight shift away from the neon pink towards a more cool palette.

Feedback appreciated.
Should I leave it as "Metafalica" or change the text to "Project Metafalica" for example? I also tried to replace the glow with a white stroke a la NISA's logo, but it doesn't look nice imho.

One more thing we could do is move NISA's logo to the ADX/CRI ipu, so we have all official logos in one place, but are also not bound by clashing palette choices for our project logo.
Member Avatar
蒼穹
aquagon
Whoa, it looks beautiful!

Of the three versions, I liked A the best, as green is the color that seems to officially represent AT2. Version C looks kinda more suited for AT3. XD
And well, I'm not sure if we need to add the "Project" at the start, but it wouldn't be a bad idea.
Member Avatar
Hymmnos Researcher
[hymmnos]Was ki ga rete omnis zash en crudea...[/hymmnos]
[arciela]onaarr tyys ceefbb.[/arciela]
Ochis meya, baprou, zaebaralia sos...
chia zosph pheile simalea...

Posted Image

WEL OLRY SIO, LE FEL HORY NEO FEL ORY, ARY SE WEL.
LEE WEL NEL FORY, ARIA SIE ESTIA WEL SE FEL ESTY.

Posted Image
Soukyuu
Thank you :3

The best part about vectors though is that I can do this without any quality loss :D

I think we should go with the green one as well. Which is why I think moving NISA's logo to the other ones is a good idea. More space for Frelia goodness~
Member Avatar
蒼穹
Soukyuu
Proposal - this is how the logos will look
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think placing NISA with BANDAI fits better than slapping it onto the ADX one.
Thoughts? I probably can't have the bar on the logo fill the whole horizontal space because of image cutoff on CRT screens... question is, do we want to cater to those or go with "better" visuals? Hmm, taking a second glance, I think I like "Metafalica" more than "Project Metafalica". And maybe the bar not filling the whole space is better as well.
Edited by Soukyuu, Nov 22 2013, 02:23 AM.
Member Avatar
蒼穹
aquagon
The NISA logo really goes better with the Bandai-Namco one.
But as for the CRT vs better visuals issue... hmmm, I don't really know what to suggest...
Member Avatar
Hymmnos Researcher

Posted Image

Posted Image
Kanethedragon
I know my opinion might not mean much, but getting rid of the bar up to Frelia's leg might work. As for the Metafalica thing it's up to you guys, and I don't know what to suggest for the others.
Member Avatar
King of Crimson
Posted Image
[hymmnos]Was yea erra melenas yor MIR[/hymmnos]

Soukyuu
Opinions are welcome, this is a public forum ^^
We can't always decide with 3 people after all :x

Removing the bar would make Frelia hover in space, I'm not sure it would look better. Maybe adding a background instead of leaving it black would help, but then which background should we use?
Member Avatar
蒼穹
Dosky
I'm just someone monitoring the status of the project but I think Kanethedragon meant something like this, with Frelia sitting on the bar.
Also, in my opinion, the two line Project Metafalica isn't that good, on one line would be better.

Sorry for the shitty edit.
Posted Image

Now you can imagine her looking down from Sol Marta.

Kanethedragon
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was imagining with that. And anything else is really up to how you guys think through things.
Edited by Kanethedragon, Nov 22 2013, 05:02 PM.
Member Avatar
King of Crimson
Posted Image

asa+kari
/delurks

The edit looks nice! Having the text in the same bar would look nicer in my opinion as well, but I'm not quite sure how it would have to fit into the bar without appearing too condensed and squished.
Member Avatar

Posted Image

where else to find asa+kari:
dA: kariavalon | pixiv: 1348727 | art tumblr | homepage

Posted Image
Soukyuu
Something like this?

Posted Image

The other options are:
Posted Image
and
Posted Image
Member Avatar
蒼穹
Kanethedragon
It's between 1 and 3 IMO. As said previously, 1 makes it look like she's looking down from Sol Marta, and 3 makes things look a bit better visually. Aqua, Soukyuu, Asa, what do you guys think?
Edited by Kanethedragon, Nov 22 2013, 11:14 PM.
Member Avatar
King of Crimson
Posted Image

Soukyuu
I'm with 3 personally. 1 looks fine as well, but I don't quite like the assymetry. With 2, i'm not really liking the bar filling the screen.
Member Avatar
蒼穹
aquagon
Of these, I like 3 the best.
And with this, I think we only need void's opinion and the patcher for the game in order to begin the full playtest.
Edited by aquagon, Nov 23 2013, 12:42 AM.
Member Avatar
Hymmnos Researcher

Posted Image

Posted Image
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Ar tonelico 2 Retranslation Project · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Ar tonelico series, characters, and artwork © 2006-2010 GUST CO., LTD. and NBGI

Skin orginally created by Tariq | Converted by Lewis of the ZetaBoard Theme Zone