Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

A Reyvateil's Melody

Ar tonelico fan site forums.

Add Reply
  • Pages:
Lazy's ARM Blog
Topic Started: Jun 25 2013, 04:50 AM (4,260 Views)
Utsuho Lazy
Even though I write a lot, I'm kind of bad when it comes to introduction, so I'll try to make this short but simple.

Name: Utsuho Lazy (almost always simply known as Lazy though)
Date of birth: 1989 March 29

Interests: Video games (mostly visual novels and JRPGs), CGDCT, (ero) manga, linguistics
Favorite color: #B2FFFF
Favorite food: Ice cream
Favorite pet: Cats!

Joining ARM since 2008 May 25, I'm one of ARM's earliest members and have contributed a lot to the community mostly in form of trolling. No matter what happens, I'll still be staying around with the community, even though there are fewer active members now than before, it's always enjoyable to be around having nonsensical fun with other ARM members.

I'm kind of an extremist when it comes to favorites, so sometimes I might upset others. I try my best to keep as much of a neutral state as possible when necessary though.

For a long time I used to be a NEET, not in any school nor doing any job. Part of the reason why it was so hard for me to find a job is because I have a horribly weak body, I get some sort of abnormal sickness almost everyday. Sometimes my fingertips just burst out bleeding for no reason. Every now and then my body hurts incredibly, I even fall on the floor squirming for a few minutes until I get better and manage to crawl onto bed. My eyes dry very very fast, I have to blink once every 2-3 seconds just to keep my eyes working normally.

Recently I've thankfully settled down with working as a reporter/editor for a local tech magazine.

"Life sucks" tend to be one of my most commonly used lines.

But well, as much of a pessimist I am, there are still times when I feel happy like a ten-year old girl.
Member Avatar

Quote Post Goto Top Offline Profile
Loli Hunter
Obligatory test post.
Member Avatar

Posted Image
Utsuho Lazy
After about 3 years using Android phones, I've moved to an iPhone 5s today. While it is true that Android is dominating the smartphone market at the moment with over 80% market share (compared to iOS' 15% something), and indeed more people are moving or considering moving to Android as it becomes better perfected, I'm instead choosing Apple's products.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Apple fanboy. Far from it. Despite being a tech reporter who writes reviews and analyses on new tech crap (especially smartphones) everyday, I actually hate smartphones. Instead, the reason for my switch is really simple: Google and Apple have completely different policies regarding their app markets. While Apple's App Store allows switching to any country's App Store with a few clicks, Google locks you down to your local Play Store in every possible way it can.

At first, Google used to check your phone carrier to block you from installing region-locked apps. Then recently, it switched to checking your connection IP and Google account information and locking you to your local market. The only solution would be setting up a VPN, creating a brand new Google account with faked country of residence information, then use VPN to access the Play Store and download.

...Except that it won't work for the Japanese Play Store, because in order to create a Japanese Google account, you need to perform a phone verification. Phone verification is currently the ultimate hurdle being employed by Japanese companies to prevent guyjean gaijin from accessing their glorious services, and I have a lot to rant about that. But I'll leave it for another time.

Admittedly, purchasing paid apps is a different story, especially if you use credit/debit cards which are locked to your local bank. But while Apple's Japanese iTunes gift cards are easily available for online purchase, Google hasn't provided an equivalent solution yet. So well, for me - someone who infinitely prefers Japanese app stores over any other country's - Apple's ecosystem is but a must choice. And that's why here I am now, with an iPhone 5s in hand. Which I got for free. Yay job.
Member Avatar

Utsuho Lazy
Ever since the iPhone 5s' novelty wore off (which was like 3 days from my purchase), I've been running into nothing but frustration and annoyance with its ridiculously unfriendly approach to file handling. But today is simply the last straw, when I find out that the iOS Gallery app does not allow sorting pictures by file name.

I have a couple of image sets, neatly organized into folders and the pictures are properly numbered 001, 002, etc. But when I throw them onto the phone, the Gallery app absolutely messes them all up, sorting the pics by some imaginary "date taken" and completely, utterly, totally destroys the order that I want them to be displayed. And I have no way to fix this, because the iPhone does not allow any method of picture sorting other than its default order.

To add salt into bleeding wounds, you cannot delete pictures copied onto the iPhone using the phone itself. Instead, you must physically connect the phone to your PC and "sync" your in-phone gallery with whatever "gallery" you might have on your PC. This also means that you cannot delete only a few selected pictures from your gallery - you have to either delete them all or keep them all. If you want to delete just a couple pics, you must first delete your entire gallery and then re-copy everything again minus the pics that you want to remove. I'm not sure what genius people at Apple designed this sort of interface, but a monkey is probably more intelligent than all of them combined altogether.

Oh and syncing iPhone and PC must be done using iTunes. When I installed iTunes, it also installed about 10 other software without my permission, including something called "Bonjour" which I have absolutely no idea what it does except that it's an Apple program and it hoards my HDD space, no matter how little.

I now regret having moved to iPhone, and am considering switching back to an Android phone, such as the pretty awesome LG G2. Thankfully my contact list is small enough to manually re-input everything, and I have no important data whatsoever. In fact, I'm so darn tired of this smartphone thing, I just want a device that can do basic calling, SMS, email and media without forcing me to use over 9000 "free" services that try to control my life in every way possible. This applies to both Apple and Google.

tl;dr the iPhone might be a looker, but iOS is utter crap.
Member Avatar

Utsuho Lazy
Time for an Ar nosurge review. Warning: extremely biased and potentially offensive.

Ar nosurge review
Member Avatar

Thunder
An A+++ review~
Member Avatar
Aurica's Oracle & Arcadia's Vanguard
Aurica Nestmile's #1 fan!
The Thunder of Arcadia Army Creed
PURGE COUNT: 273
Utsuho Lazy
I love how simple content management on Sony's devices is.

I can buy a Vita game on my PC browser and have the game downloaded to my PS3 automatically, then transfer the game from PS3 to Vita wirelessly with just a few taps on the Vita.

When I run out of Vita memory, I can simply backup the games to my PS3 which has a lot of free space, in case I want to play them again later. Again, wirelessly.

Using either the Vita or PS3, I have full control of both systems' contents, and can copy or delete everything freely as I'd like to.

It all plays so smoothly and so easily it's amazing. This is exactly what Apple's iOS ecosystem should have been.
Member Avatar

Utsuho Lazy
So I just got home from a business trip.

While the trip itself was nothing special if not downright boring and uneventful, the hotel I got to stay at left major impression in me.

It was depressingly empty.

A huge, 8-story building with almost 20 rooms each floor, and yet pretty much the only people who stayed there during my 5-day trip were those of my own group.

The hotel itself was excellent. Not five-star tier, of course, but incredibly pretty with a tranquil, relaxing atmosphere. Service was excellent. The food tasted great. The beach was clean, the sand and sea were sparkling under the shiny sun.

Yet every morning during buffet breakfasts, I could barely see two or three families not belonging to our group of 30 or so reporters. At night, the only visitors to the rooftop bar were whimsical gusts of wind.

And then, last night. My group all went out to have dinner at a downtown restaurant, but I wasn't feeling well so I passed. Instead, I went and had dinner at the hotel restaurant instead.

Dear Lord. The restaurant was about four times the size of my home, and even had two floors. Gaudy chandeliers, refreshing sea breeze, lulling sound of the waves crashing on the shore. And I was the only single guest having dinner there.

There were five or six waiters standing near me, just waiting for my every word. They were exceptionally polite. It pained me the most when they said it had been a long time since the hotel staffs had last had so much fun working hard to serve such a huge group of guests like ours.

Of course, none of this is anything unimaginable. Empty hotels go bankrupt all the times, as I often hear on the news.

But this is my first time experiencing myself something like this. It was a glittering sadness.
Member Avatar

Utsuho Lazy
So the Xbox One just got released in Japan, and it flopped big time.

While I have zero interest in the Xbox One (and in Western video games in general), for unknown reasons I can't help but feel sorry for those people who've worked hard to bring the XB1 to Japan, in vain. In particular, those working at Microsoft Japan.

When I saw this picture http://i.imgur.com/gK2ZUsp.jpg I almost cried.

Maybe I'm just naïve after all. Maybe I'm just too emotional. And naïveté and emotions have no place in this materialistic world.

I don't know why I typed all of this. It's not like it would change anything.
Member Avatar

Thunder
Utsuho Lazy
Sep 3 2014, 01:51 PM

The hotel itself was excellent. Not five-star tier, of course, but incredibly pretty with a tranquil, relaxing atmosphere. Service was excellent. The food tasted great. The beach was clean, the sand and sea were sparkling under the shiny sun.

Yet every morning during buffet breakfasts, I could barely see two or three families not belonging to our group of 30 or so reporters. At night, the only visitors to the rooftop bar were whimsical gusts of wind.

And then, last night. My group all went out to have dinner at a downtown restaurant, but I wasn't feeling well so I passed. Instead, I went and had dinner at the hotel restaurant instead.

Dear Lord. The restaurant was about four times the size of my home, and even had two floors. Gaudy chandeliers, refreshing sea breeze, lulling sound of the waves crashing on the shore. And I was the only single guest having dinner there.

o_O Five star it may not be, but wow this place sounds incredible! Congrats on what sounds like a luxurious business trip, Lazy :D I've never even seen the inside of such a fabulous hotel before and likely never will. I'd have felt very uncomfortable with so many wait staff hanging around like that, though :^^;: I think part of the problem with empty hotels closing down is that there are way too many of them to choose from nowadays with a limited number of potential clients.

Utsuho Lazy
Sep 4 2014, 11:41 AM
And naïveté and emotions have no place in this materialistic world.

I must be a dead man walking then... :^^;:
Member Avatar
Utsuho Lazy
So today I just learned that one of my favorite dojin groups has started putting DRM into their releases from now on. And I was like, screw this.

Sure, putting DRM is a popular method known to be capable of reducing piracy. But think about it. Before, the group's works would be frequently pirated, but people who actually bought the products would be completely satisfied with what they paid for. But now, even though there would be no more piracy, people paying for these DRM-ridden products would be endlessly inconvenienced by the stupid encryption. Nobody's happy anymore.

What's worse, they're not even a famous group. They barely sell 100 copies per work, and I'm one of those 100. I mean, I used to be until now. I've been dedicated to supporting them by purchasing nearly every of their releases, but that's over. When I pay for something, I expect to receive the product itself, not a key to open a locked box containing the product glued inside.

tl;dr I don't care how good something is, I'll never pay for it if it's released in form of some encrypted crap.
Member Avatar

Utsuho Lazy
All the frustrations I suffer from Natuiro Highschool's terrible gameplay get washed away whenever I read this.

http://i.imgur.com/YvmNxIe.jpg
Member Avatar

VenTK
Oh? So you're into assertive girls, eh, Reiji-chan? :-3 :grin:
Member Avatar

Utsuho Lazy
So my company is going through restructuring. Which is just a fancy term to say that some people are getting fired. The magazine I'm working for is suspended next month as well. This doesn't mean I'm turning unemployed overnight, but I'll get moved to a different section where I'll be doing works I'm not entirely comfortable with, and there'll be some pretty heavy negative impact to my salary.

I don't know if I should be sad or confused, I just feel like wanting to say this out somewhere. Guess I'll just wait and see how things turn out for now.
Member Avatar

Thunder
Be strong, Lazy. I'm dealing with the after effects of this type of situation as well and bracing for round two any week now. You may be able to work the situation to your advantage in time.
Member Avatar
Utsuho Lazy
Apparently the situation I mentioned in the last post was still too optimistic. Things happened, and as of today, I'm officially jobless.

Of course I need to worry about it soon, but for the moment I'm not in a rush to find a new work yet. It's not going to be easy anyway.
Member Avatar

Thunder
Sorry to hear things didn't work out, Lazy. I hope things get better for you soon.
Member Avatar
Utsuho Lazy
Natuiro Highschool is the prime example of an abandoned game.

The game came out first week of June. In an interview one week after release date, the developers announced that they planned to release a patch that adds some new features in July, DLC costumes in August, and a completely new "Winter mode" by October.

We're well into November now and none of the above things ever happened. The game's official site and Twitter are also never updated again since mid June.

Here's hoping their next title, Omega Labyrinth, due later this month, won't suffer the same fate.
Member Avatar

Utsuho Lazy
Having enjoyed a whole month of NEET life, I've recently started looking at the future possibilities.

I'm sure not many people know this (or still remember), but I dropped out of college on my second year. That means at the moment, I don't have any academic degree other than a high school diploma. Which is absolutely worthless for finding job here. My previous job was gotten purely through inside connections. Easy come, easy go.

The other day, my sister offered an interesting suggestion: since I already know some Japanese (albeit far from usable for any purpose), I should go and study abroad in Japan. In particular, I'd first spend about a year learning some proper Japanese and passing various Japanese language tests (namely the JLPT and EJU), then enter a 2-year course at a vocational school. This way, I should end up with a decently prestigious Japanese diploma by the age of 30, still not too old to start settling down and find a long-term career.

One particular problem with this path: initial investment. Studying in Japan is incredibly expensive for us commoners. My sister and I will not only be using up everything we've worked hard to save up the last few years, but also need to borrow from relatives and banks. It's a huge gamble, and my last chance in life. Failing this, and we drop down to the bottom of the social ladder. Luck just doesn't cut it anymore.

Still, it's very highly that I'm going.
Member Avatar

Thunder
Good luck with this idea if you are able to go through with it, Lazy. It sounds like an amazing opportunity, plus, it could net you some new leads for career prospects, so it could pay off in more than one way.

Could you possibly take those Japanese language courses in your country before taking the proficiency tests, so you can save on some of the cost?

Either way, remember to keep your eyes on the prize and never give up.
Member Avatar
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Members and Community · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Ar tonelico series, characters, and artwork © 2006-2010 GUST CO., LTD. and NBGI

Skin orginally created by Tariq | Converted by Lewis of the ZetaBoard Theme Zone