Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Riverside Incident. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Story/FAQ; Read this. Kind of important.
Topic Started: Jan 21 2012, 10:54 PM (302 Views)
MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
I am your god now! There's sand on my boots!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Riverside Scientific Research and Development Facility in Brockton, Ohio had been funded by the U.S. Military to develop a chemical that would be able to augment human ability to heights that were only imaginable beforehand. In short, the facility was commissioned to create bona-fide supermen for the armed forces. To test the serum, Riverside used willing test subjects, both people of science and of military background. Following a few initial batches that were failures, the facility was finally struck with success, and produced speciments of fine caliber with actual, working super powers.

You... are NOT those subjects.

Shortly after reporting their first successes, the Riverside Scientific R&D Facility (also known simply as 'Riverside') was caught in an explosion which utterly totaled the building, killing everybody inside. The remains of some scientists and research subjects couldn't even be traced, let alone identified. The explosion also destroyed some nearby buildings, but the true extent of the damage had yet to be discovered.

Thanks to its location alongside a... well, a river, the explosion from Riverside released a slew of chemicals into the river, which the encompassing city of Brockton used for their water supply. As a result, Brockton's water supply became contaminated with traces of the chemicals, which nearly the entire city ended up ingesting. Many people, especially children, the elderly and those too weak or sickly to handle the chemical wound up severely ill. Some even died before they could be treated. In a panic stemming from what would later be known as 'The Riverside Incident', nearly half of the population of Brockton vacated the city.

Those who wished to leave were met with a quarantine formed by the military. Nobody entered the once-bustling city, and anybody who wanted to leave had to go through the quarantine checkpoints. If you were healthy, you were free to go. If you were sick, you would be transported to a nearby healthcare facility, free of charge. What the military was really looking for, though, were those affected by the contaminated water in a different sense.

The super-serum project was highly classified, so of course civilians were unaware what the chemicals in their body were truly doing to them. To those receptive enough, men and women generally between the ages of 15 to 35, began to go through changes. These changes manifested themselves over the course of anywhere from two months up to a year and, when fully realized, gave the person what appeared to be superpowers.

Those who were being changed by the chemicals, whether they knew it or not, were taken in by the military. This aroused suspicion of the military in the citizens of Brockton, and fear in those who knew that they had been changed. Some people just wanted to escape from the city and go on living their lives, but some of them decided to fight. A group of rebels, formed in the hidden underground of Brockton, began to fight back against the military. Two years had passed since the Riverside Incident, but times were as trying as ever before.

While they had the advantage of superior weaponry and numbers, the military was having problems pulling up on the deep roots of the rebellion. As such, they struck a deal with the Mark 21's, a local gang which rose to impressive and frightening power in the wake of Brockton's lawlessness. Should they help to unseat the leaders of the rebellion and cause the whole thing to crumble down, the military would give them a free ticket out of the city. It was a promising offer, but the gang was constantly wary of the military, and so the alliance was an uneasy one. As several gang members were detained by the military, relations quickly degenerated, but the Mark 21s were forced to hold to the terms of the agreement, lest their hotel be raided by the superior armed forced of the military.

Three factions now struggled within the walls of Brockton, with the civilians caught in the crossfire. Which one will you join? Will you try and escape? Fight for your freedom? Control the city? Or try and re-install order?
Edited by MK Kilmarnock, Jan 13 2016, 08:06 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

"Why doesn't the military just blow the hell out of Brockton?
The world of Riverside functions in largely the same way that ours does, in that it's a nuanced one and the actions of the military reflect heavily on the government. Brockton was a city of about 200,000, and half that population has vacated in the two years leading up to the events of the game. The military has been painstakingly working for most of these two years, though obviously they and the white house have come under fire for various perceived failures to respond. So, why not just blow the hell out of Brockton if it's causing this much trouble? Because there's still roughly 100,000 innocent people in the city and there's just no covering up nuking that many people.

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Go ahead and PM me any questions you might have since I'm still answering a ton of these.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Announcements & News · Next Topic »
Add Reply

RPG-D