Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Locked Topic
  • Pages:
Watching the Hours (Wash); Sunday Jan. 28, 4 AM // Hippie House
Topic Started: Oct 12 2014, 09:07 PM (1,955 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Jen awoke with a start, grabbing her wand from where she'd hidden it under her pillow and sitting up straight in her bed. She'd heard a tap on her window - no owls came by this early unless there was something seriously wrong, so she knew something was amiss. Her roommate was still asleep, snoring lightly. Jen eyed the window warily, as if someone or something was going to burst through at any moment.

After a minute, the noise happened again - someone was throwing small rocks at her window. She frowned, sliding out of bed and crossing to the window, wand still in hand. She opened it carefully and shivered at the cool burst of air that hit her before looking down to the ground.

She frowned when she realized who it was. "What are you doing?" she hissed. "Do you know what time it is?"
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

It had been another string of sleepless nights for Master Rockefeller. He had trashed the remainder of his stash of sleeping potion, hoping that he was in good enough shape to sleep without it. Unfortunately, he was not. He was, however, too embarrassed to go ask for more.

And so it was that Wash was outside the Hippie House just a few hours before sunrise, trying to wake Jen. The mornings were horribly silent and boring, and he had put up with it for long enough.

He shrugged slightly at her question and rubbed at his eyes with his the hand that wasn't holding a pebble. "Couldn't sleep," He loudly whispered back. "I need company." She wouldn't hate him for this, would she?
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

She blinked in confusion. Was he for real? She knew she should probably just shut the window and go back to bed, but she was awake now, and there was no way she was falling asleep easily if she knew he was standing on the lawn waiting for her. "Okay," she whispered, looking back quickly to see if her roommate had woken up. She hadn't. "Give me a minute, 'kay?"

At that, she shut the window tightly and latched it before tossing her coat on over her pajamas - a comically over-sized Harvard sweater and thick, woolen leggings. She shuffled her sock-clad feet into a pair of slippers and tucked her wand in her coat pocket before slipping quietly out of her room and down the stairs to the front lawn.

She crossed to where he stood, a small frown still on her face. "You okay?"
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

He stuck his hands in the coat of his jacket while he waited. It wasn't as cold as it had been when they had dinner at his place, but it was certainly more than chilly. At least there was no snow on the ground.

"I trashed my potion." He grimaced. "Haven't been able to sleep." It was like it had been over winter break. His body was completely on coffee power. "Sorry I woke you up."
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Her frown softened, but she still crossed her arms over her chest. It was hard to be upset with him for waking her up when he was just so cute this early in the morning. She wanted to reach up and ruffle his hair to make him smile.

She sighed, the corner of her mouth quirking up into a small smile. "It's okay." Her feet shuffled her closer to him. "Why did you throw away your potion? Wasn't it, you know, working?"
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

"It was, yeah." He sighed slightly. "I thought maybe I could get by without it." Which is obviously why he had thrown it out instead of just setting it aside. "It's... i don't know. I guess I don't like depending on potions."

He looked down at the cold, hard, ground, then up (relatively speaking) at her. "I figured you would be less upset than Nigel." He hadn't considered her roommate, though. "Nighttime gets lonely."
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

She nodded. She could understand not wanting to develop a dependence on sleeping potions. It was one of the reasons she didn't take them herself after having nightmares. She preferred to exhaust her mind and body totally to avoid dreaming.

"I'm not upset," she half-lied, closing the distance between them and wrapping her arms around his middle in a hug. "I'm just surprised, I guess." It was kind of nice that he thought of her as someone he could go to now. Although she did wish that he'd picked a better time of day to do it.

"Wanna take a walk?" she asked, tilting her head up to look at him properly.
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

He was as surprised as she was. Why was this night different from all other nights? For on other nights, Wash suffered alone; but on this night, he had gone to Jen for company. "You sure?" He put his hands on her back and held her tight.

"Yeah, but," he looked as pointedly as he could at the ground, on which their feet rested. "You aren't exactly wearing shoes." He was, but he hadn't been called outside unexpectedly. "Won't your feet get cold?"
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

"Positive." She smiled up at him, nodding. It was a known fact in her house that as happy as Jen was normally, she was just that grumpy when she was awakened unexpectedly. But now that she was truly awake, and not in some in-between state, she felt much more agreeable. It helped that he was hugging her back.

She looked down at her feet and shrugged. "They feel fine to me. Double socks, you know." Plus, her slippers provided a small bit of warmth. She was sure that a quick walk wasn't going to do much.
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

"If you're sure." He released her with one arm and slowly began to shuffle away from her house. He really didn't want to wake anyone (other than Jen), and he worried that their talking might do just that.

"Where are we headed?" He didn't much care. Except that dew would soak through her slippers on the lawns, the beach might get a cold ocean breeze, and the forest was scary when it got dark.
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

She kept one arm around his middle as she walked along next to him. Her brow furrowed in thought. Sometimes she really hated that she couldn't just bring him inside the legacy house. But at least this way they wouldn't have to mind the volume of their voices too much.

"Docks?" she suggested, leaning into him slightly. They weren't too terribly far away, and there was a path they could walk on.
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Docks... He hadn't been down there since that first night. A nagging thought had lodged itself in his mind that going back would ruin how special that time had been. Then again, how bad could it be if she went with him? Then they could add to the specialness, not destroy it.

"Sounds good to me." He steered, turning toward the road in the proper direction. It wasn't too far, right? It certainly hadn't seemed too bad when he had gone last time.
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

She didn't say anything as he guided them along the path to the docks. It was still too early for her to attempt any kind of heavy conversation. Her free hand came up to rub at her eyes - she couldn't remember if she had taken off her eye makeup before bed. It was highly unlikely, but she didn't care at this point if she had dark circles under her eyes.

She untangled herself from him and sat down carefully at the end of the dock when they arrived, almost in the exact same spot she'd been in the first night they'd run into each other. Smiling up at him, she patted the spot next to her as an invitation to sit.

"Are you going to get more of the potion to help you sleep?" she asked after a minute.
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

He sat down beside her, his feet hanging just above the water of the lagoon. "I don't know." Her question was one he had already asked himself. "Like I said, I don't want to depend on it. But I'm in school, and aren't we supposed to sleep at night so we don't sleep in class?" Which he had done, once or twice, fitfully and (he had been told) noisily.

Then the question he hadn't considered. "What do you think I should do?" He wasn't about to ask the nurse for her professional opinion. His parents would probably tell him to, well, he had no idea what they would say and he didn't want to find out.
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

"Yeah, you definitely don't want to be sleeping in class." She smiled and nudged his knee with her own. Jen had fallen asleep in class plenty of times over the years, and although she considered herself a bit of an expert on how to avoid getting caught, she didn't think it would be wise to impart that wisdom onto her boyfriend. He needed real sleep, not a nap.

She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. What did she think he should do? "Well," she began, "I would say go see the nurse... but she freaks me out." She giggled, linking her arm with his. "If I really can't sleep, I'll try exercise just to tire myself out. Or read. Or listen to music. But I don't know if any of that would really help in your situation." She frowned.
Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · January '96 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic
  • Pages: