Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Giant steps: mysterious Sardinian sculptures to go on display; The Giants of Monte Prama, inscrutable avatars of a lost civilisation, see the light after years of reconstruction work
Topic Started: Mar 20 2014, 03:29 PM (283 Views)
Babborcu
Member Avatar


Giant steps: mysterious Sardinian sculptures to go on display

The Giants of Monte Prama, inscrutable avatars of a lost civilisation, see the light after years of reconstruction work

John Hooper in Rome
theguardian.com, Monday 17 March 2014 20.10 GMT


Posted Image

Some of the most mysterious statues from antiquity are finally to go on permanent display this week – 40 years after they were discovered by a ploughman on the Italian island of Sardinia.

The Giants of Monte Prama include statues of archers, wrestlers and boxers carved in sandstone probably between the ninth and eight centuries BC, before Rome was even founded. They belong to the Nuragic civilisation, which flourished on Sardinia for two millennia until the second century AD.

The figures, standing over 2 metres (6.5ft) high, are distinguished by their unearthly eyes, which consist of two perfectly concentric circles. They – or rather, their component parts – were found in 1974 near the town of Cabras, on the west coast of the island.

But it was not until recently that funds were set aside for the daunting task of reconstructing the statues, which also include representations of nuraghe, the tower-fortresses after which the Nuragic civilisation is named. More than 5,000 pieces were dug up at the site.

Alessandro Usai, the curator of the permanent exhibition, which opens on Saturday at the national archaeological museum, in Cagliari, and the town museum of Cabras, said computers had been of limited use in the operation. "Most of the work was done by eye and by hand, using shape, type of stone and decoration as guides," he told the Guardian. The reconstruction, which was completed in 2011, took four years.

The figures were discovered at a necropolis , so one theory is that the stone warriors guarded the tombs. But it has also been suggested that they belonged to an as-yet undiscovered nearby temple.

Usai said many other questions remained: "We don't know how many there were altogether. Nor do we know if they were originally set out in lines or perhaps in squares."

Usai said 28 of the works would go on show in Cagliari, while another 10 would be displayed in Cabras, where it is hoped the Giants will help promote tourism.

Usai said three-dimensional digital representations of the missing statues would be created at each site, "so that the two exhibitions will be complementary".


http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/17/giants-of-monte-prama-sardinian-sculptures-display
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
marco80
Member Avatar


Giants of Monte Prama

Posted Image

By Luca Foschi, Foschiluca.com

It all began with the most classic features of archaeological fairy tales. Two honest ploughmen, Sisinnio Poddi and Battista Meli, were preparing the sowing in the surroundings of Monte Prama, a small and gentle town of west Sardinia in March 1974. Like most years the allotment was leased from the catholic Brotherhood of Santo Rosario. Each year the plowshare drew white fragments of stone on the barren, sandy surface, the odd stone disappearing from the pile where they had been gathered.

Stones were to be used for new houses on the sea front or for the illegal market of art. Eventually Giovanni Corrias, owner of an adjacent plot, spotted in the umpteenth heap a timeless, wild-eyed gaze of a big sandstone head and called the Regional Archaeological Supervision. It was the first giant of Monte Prama, one of the most intriguing and relevant archaeological finds in Western Europe.

Moving from fable to comedy, it took 40 years for the institutions to be able to display the invaluable evidence and give order to more than 5,000 pieces unearthed during the digging out activities, which lasted almost five years. One million euros (around £800,000) and another lustrum (from 2007 to 2012) of brilliant study and restoration drew 38 statues out of the chaotic splinters.

The Giants of Monte Prama are now displayed at the National Archaeological Museum of Cagliari and at the town museum of Cabras. The statues’ height varies from 2 to 2.5 meters (6.5 ft) and represent boxers, archers and warriors belonging to a period the archaeologists place between the 8th and the 10th century BC. The figures stood in protection of tombs in the nearby necropolis. There are many suggestions inspired by the colossi to the researchers, who underline either the etrurian or the oriental influences of the style. “The Giants probably recall heroes from the past”, explained Alessandro Usai, scientific director of the restoring operation.

Along with the giants there was also small representations of nuraghes, the tower- fortress characteristic of the harmonious and unique civilization that marked the history of Sardinia from the 18th to the 2nd century BC. The Nuragic Civilization, scarcely known in an island famous for the outstanding beaches and the presence of the international jet-set, has left some of the most mysterious and important archaeological evidence in the Mediterranean area: more than 7,000 nuraghes, several Sacred pits and the Giants’ graves are scattered all over a territory that became strategically crucial for NATO during the Cold War. Nuclear submarines, compounds and drills based on depleted uranium still mark the landscape and its inhabitants.

The giants of Monte Prama may represent the renaissance of one of the five Italian special regions, ignored and exploited by the central state since the national unification in 1861. This time boxers and archers are expected to lower fists and arrows and blink with their concentric eyes to the European tourists. The crisis has left deep scars on the socio-economic fabric, doped by decades of unnatural and costly support for the industrial branch. The newly elected government lead by Francesco Pigliaru, belonging to Matteo Renzi’s Democratic Party, dashed to the inaugurating ceremony in Cagliari.

Few believe them when they suggested it would be the last time a Sardinian warrior waits 40 years before finding his spot in history.

http://www.thelondoneconomic.com/2014/03/31/giants-of-monte-prama/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · News · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Under Pressure created by sakuragi-kun of the Zetaboards Themezone
Flag Counter