Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Secrets Of Life.
Here you may learn, contribute, and discuss - but not debate - the Mystical Nature of Life.

As a guest, you're limited to certain areas and features. If you would like to become a member, please go to:
http://the-many-secrets-of-life.blogspot.ca/ and leave a comment.

Otherwise you may click below, and maybe get a result...
--->Click to register.<---

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
USB Boot Drive.
Topic Started: Nov 21 2015, 12:01 PM (60 Views)
crow
Member Avatar
One
I'm writing this from Windows 8.1 installed to a USB3 drive.
Until recently, no Windows operating system would install to, or run from, an external drive. So this is exciting in a DIY sort of way.
I'm not sure if this is a worthwhile thing to even be able to do, but it seems like it might be.
You can take the USB drive to a completely different computer, and boot from it: a roaming operating system, so any PC can look and feel the same as the one the USB drive came from. Well, any modern computer, anyway, excluding Macs.

I can see it not being required to even have an internal drive, at all. Only the external boot drive, along with whatever others are needed to do whatever needs doing, for data, backups, etc.

This is the kind of irrelevant stuff that interests me, especially during winter. I rarely use a computer as a computer. It's more an experimental platform to fiddle with and try out weird things on.
"Squawk!" said the crow, and then made space.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Technology · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Visitor Counter
Visitor Counter
Basic! theme created by g0b0ts of ZetaBoards Theme Zone