Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Secrets Of Life.
Here you may learn, contribute, and discuss - but not debate - the Mystical Nature of Life.

As a guest, you're limited to certain areas and features. If you would like to become a member, please go to:
http://the-many-secrets-of-life.blogspot.ca/ and leave a comment.

Otherwise you may click below, and maybe get a result...
--->Click to register.<---

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Merlin Factor: Comments.
Topic Started: Dec 17 2015, 10:35 PM (159 Views)
crow
Member Avatar
One
That was a lot of work!
Needed doing though. I'd forgotten the book even existed. Maybe it didn't.
But it does now.

If you read the thing, and you have my admiration if you did, you may comment here, as you wish.
Thank you.
"Squawk!" said the crow, and then made space.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Water
Member Avatar
Adventurer
Here is a kind of review of The Merlin Factor. I couldn't figure out a good way of writing and structuring it so I just wrote it out how I would speak it.

It's a book, it's a book. what a interesting book.

What stands out about the writing is its uhh, authenticity. It took a while to realise, it seems flowery, but it isn't, it seems excessive but it isn't. It's strange to read a fiction* that is so 'real'. Many authors write in cool snazzy lines, fist pumps and explosions all round, but this is simpler and generously more complex. No pretense, just honesty.

*May not be fiction.

The book lopes along with a quality that I couldn't quite pinpoint til the end of it; mystery. It is by turns poignant, exciting and emotional, but above all it conveys a appreciation for the mysterious. It is different from regular fiction, it is communicating something else. Much of the story seems to parallel what Crow has told of his past and so it seems that the book may be a retelling of his experience in the Sonoran desert, a metaphor maybe a analogy, or maybe it really happened, I don't know and I don't think it matters. There is more going on in the story than what the story appears to be about. The effect more important than the cause.

I finished reading it and thought 'hmm thats it?', and then a day later thoughts started bubbling up, joining the dots, interconnectedness became apparent, symbolism etc. It was kind of like reading the Tao Te Ching, at first it doesn't really seem like much at all, but it grows.

I enjoyed reading the Merlin Factor, and intend to read it again at some point, maybe after formatting it for my kindle :-)

SPOILERS

Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

crow
Member Avatar
One
After completing my latest re-rad, I find I have this observation to make:
This is intense, uncomfortable stuff, encouraging a state close to emotional breakdown, which is, when you consider it, a head start to arriving in the sort of state necessary to begin to grasp the content of the rest of this site.
Not to say it's 'bad'. It isn't. Although, were I to write it again, it would most likely turn out considerably differently. Less emotional, less considerate of attempting to entertain (and shock).
It doesn't run smoothly, and is not an 'easy-read'. You need an ability to join dots, and jump around a lot. But it sure says a lot, and says it powerfully.

Most interesting of all, at least to me, is that it was written pre-enlightenment, yet manages to posit ideas that later turned out to be not ideas at all, but Reality, told in compelling story-form.

I knew, already, a lot of what I later discovered to be true, without realizing I knew any of it, and that to me, it was simply unusual and risque fiction.

Water was right! It's not fiction at all. It is fantastic, while not being entirely fantasy. Much of it is my own life experience, and the rest, well, may also be, although not necessarily of this current life.

Read it if you can, and if you dare :)

"Squawk!" said the crow, and then made space.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · Merlin Factor · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Visitor Counter
Visitor Counter
Basic! theme created by g0b0ts of ZetaBoards Theme Zone