Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Secrets Of Life.
Here you may learn, contribute, and discuss - but not debate - the Mystical Nature of Life.

As a guest, you're limited to certain areas and features. If you would like to become a member, please go to:
http://the-many-secrets-of-life.blogspot.ca/ and leave a comment.

Otherwise you may click below, and maybe get a result...
--->Click to register.<---

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The weather owns you every time
Topic Started: Aug 30 2016, 07:17 AM (294 Views)
Oscar
Member Avatar
Beloved
I'm back from a small hike into the wild. I had forgotten what that is like.

The wind and the rain will make you seek cover. I had to seek shelter for days. At first it was blowing, and I grew very concerned that the trees would fall down over me. Luckily I got out of that unharmed. It had grown into something storm-like but as if turns out it didn't blow so much that any tree would fall. (but you never know?)

Then was the rain. Constant fog. Couldn't see the sun for two days. It grew agonizing and boring. Then last evening there was a sliver of sky in the distance, but it never moved any closer! In the morning... the sun! the sun! the sun! I was genuinely happy.

The wild will make you humble. You can appreciate why the old people revered the sun as a god.

I saw lizards and frogs. Many insects and birds. Trails of badgers.

I have become more silent and deepened my meditation. Nature really is necessary. I will try to meditate in the morning and in the evening now, like Ardy used to. Turns out I'm not very good with sitting down meditating but I manage it a little. Sitting down too much in the evening gives me restless legs syndrome during sleeping time.
Edited by Oscar, Aug 30 2016, 07:19 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

crow
Member Avatar
One
Great post :)
You had yourself an actual adventure, and discovered/remembered that adventures are - by their nature - uncomfortable and risky.
No amount of reading about it, comes close to actually experiencing it.
And no amount of experiencing it comes close to completely disappearing into it.

Try teaching your knees and ankles to kneel for long periods. That is an adventure in itself. There is no better position from which to achieve cosmic lift-off.

On the subject of trees:
Spend enough time beneath them, and in enough extremes of weather, and you'll notice how they can actually be very dangerous.
Having a tree fall on you is the most obvious danger, but also large branches can break off, and fall, like spears, to bury their ends several inches into the ground. Or into your head, inch'Allah.

Very big trees, like the ones around here, are obviously the most dangerous. But even a small one can ruin your whole day.
But what's a little danger to an adventurer?

Edited by crow, Aug 30 2016, 12:36 PM.
"Squawk!" said the crow, and then made space.

Water
Member Avatar
Adventurer
Did you take any photos of the area where you stayed?

Ardy
Member Avatar
Generous
Loved it Tucken, nature is greater than we are and it is nice to have it pointed out to you as we tend to forget in our cotton wool worlds.

it reminded me of a time, as a young teenager, when I decided I was sick of sitting indoors in the winter with some snow around. So I upped and went for a hike across the fields.

I was totally unprepared and loved the first 15 mins but soon I was frozen and although the weather was beautiful thoughts started to cross my mind. 'Here I am about 5 miles into the wild, what would happen if I collapsed from the cold?' and so it went for a while. Then I found myself looking at the bare trees and the snow and although my feet felt like they would fall off I enjoyed the last hour or so. Didn't go again though!

Crow: Re Trees, the gum trees which we have are deadly, locally a young girl was killed when a branch fell on her in the school playground. The government as it always does over overreacted and cut down all trees in all the schools, so now the kids can't sit in their shade anymore...
Edited by Ardy, Aug 30 2016, 11:37 PM.

crow
Member Avatar
One
The authorities did the same thing in England. No trees in schoolyards.
The kids aren't even allowed to play conkers any more.

And to think...
All those nights in all those years, I spent sleeping right under trees...

The naivety of youth.
Wonderful.

Oscar
Member Avatar
Beloved
Water
Aug 30 2016, 10:01 PM
Did you take any photos of the area where you stayed?
No:)

It was within the archipelago of the greatest lake in Sweden. You could google image "vänern" if you like. Gives you a sense of it.

Zootoca vivipara. Very 'shy' lizard. They take off immediately as they sense your footsteps.

DMT
Member Avatar
Orange
I ride a motorcycle, and try to primitive camp as much as possible. the weather is a total dictator to all of this adventuring I do along the backroads of the coast . Everything has to be thought out in regards to the weather in particular the rain. you have to prepare, prepare, prepare and one tends to trick oneself into believing they are fully prepared for all possible issues, we never are and that makes it interesting to me. It's not "battling" nature, it's "harmonizing" with nature, listening, paying, attention, alert, breathing.
Edited by DMT, May 14 2017, 08:46 AM.

Sauve_qui_peut
Member Avatar
Blue
crow
Aug 30 2016, 11:40 AM

Try teaching your knees and ankles to kneel for long periods. That is an adventure in itself. There is no better position from which to achieve cosmic lift-off.

I agree that it is a great post. I have gone into the woods for short times, like a couple of hours and even that
was good for me.

I will try this. I just did try it and and there is a big difference in pointing my toes down and pointing my toes
behind me. When you say, knees and ankles, which way do you hold your ankles?

crow
Member Avatar
One
Ankles positioned allowing toes to point back and slightly inwards.
As opposed to bent down and forwards.
Weight on instep, as lightly as possible.
Hard to describe, actually, but so that it's as comfortable as possible, for as long as possible.
Then ignore whatever discomfort remains.

You may need a crane to get you back upright though, so do it in short bouts until it gets to feel normal.

Sauve_qui_peut
Member Avatar
Blue
I am not fat! LOL

crow
Member Avatar
One
Neither am I. But kneel for long enough, and your body forgets how to get back up.

Sauve_qui_peut
Member Avatar
Blue
I don't think I can kneel that long.

crow
Member Avatar
One
Funny thing about enlightenment: you're most likely to achieve it by persuading your body to kneel, but the several millennia you spend outside of time, isn't long enough for your ankles to start to hurt.

Kneeling, you see, is the right and dutiful position of humility towards God, that is most likely to succeed.

Veronique
Member Avatar
No Hoper
I don't think that weather is just mere weather. Last summer, I made a trip to an another province. When I arrived in that province, It was all rainy and foggy. When I returned home, it was a the same thing happening. During the trip, all the other days were really sunny, except for those to days. Weather can be sometimes linked with a person or a nation karma. Don't try to over analyse nature signs, but try remaining vigilent.

Oscar
Member Avatar
Beloved
The ice is melting ever so slowly. There's been no downpour to chisel it, no wind to break it and let the waves swallow it. There is no hurrying nature.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Adventure · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Visitor Counter
Visitor Counter
Basic! theme created by g0b0ts of ZetaBoards Theme Zone