Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Secrets Of Life.
Here you may learn, contribute, and discuss - but not debate - the Mystical Nature of Life.

As a guest, you're limited to certain areas and features. If you would like to become a member, please go to:
http://the-many-secrets-of-life.blogspot.ca/ and leave a comment.

Otherwise you may click below, and maybe get a result...
--->Click to register.<---

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What's in a name?
Topic Started: May 29 2017, 01:21 PM (172 Views)
Oscar
Member Avatar
Beloved
Am I a Tucken? I don't feel like one anymore. Tucken is a nickname of the past and it never even worked well on English-speaking web-boards; it was made for a different setting. But that didn't matter to me because this nickname was a gift. It was a gift from an old friend and that meant that I felt that it carried a certain love, his love towards me. Which, for a while, made it a whole lot better than my actual name.

But all of that is in the past and my old friend and I parted ways a long time ago. In lack of any better name I feel mostly like an Oscar. It's my real name, which means that it's the name given to me by my parents at birth, and for now the name that I'm most comfortable with.

There have been many other aliases but none of them seem right any longer. Whenever someone uses any of them it feels wrong. All the names that I'm known by, when used, reminds me that they are not me. I don't want to be known by those names anymore.

Am I an Oscar now or could I be a humblebee? This is an opportune moment for me personally to consider my name. And as I do so, so could you.
Edited by crow, May 29 2017, 02:22 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sauve_qui_peut
Member Avatar
Blue
That is very good writing imo.

crow
Member Avatar
One
He gets better and better. For a while he was 'Mannered Tucken'. I sense a name-change request approaching.
BTW: Congrats, Tucken, on achieving Black Belt First Dan. That's a big deal.

I have recently been known, elsewhere, as 'crowfeather', rather than 'crow'.
This appeals to me, the more I use it, because 'crow' denotes the entire crow.
Whereas 'crowfeather' denotes something of use to a crow; not essential, but one of many parts.
It mirrors my stance towards Reality: certainly not essential to It, but happy to be a minor part of It.
Unfortunately, as admin, I can not change my name, but in the spirit of the thing, I am crowfeather as well as being crow.

Squawk!

Edited by crow, May 29 2017, 02:26 PM.
"Squawk!" said the crow, and then made space.

Oscar
Member Avatar
Beloved
Quote:

That is very good writing imo.

Thank you.
Quote:

He gets better and better. For a while he was 'Mannered Tucken'. I sense a name-change request approaching.
BTW: Congrats, Tucken, on achieving Black Belt First Dan. That's a big deal.

I have recently been known, elsewhere, as 'crowfeather', rather than 'crow'.
This appeals to me, the more I use it, because 'crow' denotes the entire crow.
Whereas 'crowfeather' denotes something of use to a crow; not essential, but one of many parts.
It mirrors my stance towards Reality: certainly not essential to It, but happy to be a minor part of It.
Unfortunately, as admin, I can not change my name, but in the spirit of the thing, I am crowfeather as well as being crow.

Squawk!

You really are quite something. I realize that that is no way to pay a compliment and maybe especially so for someone that would go by the name of 'crowfeather' - an inessential part of a crow which nevertheless serves it - but I'm struck by something like awe.

I will continue to call you crow on here, since you cannot change your username, but in my heart something already changed.

-As for me I don't know the bumblebee well enough to call myself by it, although I run into it every season. I always seem to run into some giant every year that seems impossibly big for a bumblebee and I'm always pleased when I do. They are gentle insects.

A name-change is inevitable but I'll have to wait a little bit longer. I want to become pure, first. When I have I will change my name into something that befits me.

Oscar
Member Avatar
Beloved
After all I couldn't bear being Tucken anymore so now I'm Oscar instead :).

It could mean 'God's spear' or 'friend of deers', perhaps. No one knows but those are the two popular beliefs.

crow
Member Avatar
One
O Scar! One who reveres his battle scars. Not a bad outlook, as outlooks go :)

Too bad it's also the name of my nearest neighbor and arch-enemy.

Ardy
Member Avatar
Generous
Oscar has a good ring to it. I like it very much.

Crow: My neighbour and nemesis is Tim, he is a self centred user of the first order...

Oscar
Member Avatar
Beloved
:).

I want to tell you about my middle name now but that would be too ominous. crow might just drop from the sky!

Ardy
Member Avatar
Generous
Oscar: Yours cannot be stranger than mine. Show me yours and I'll show you mine...

Simpleton
No Avatar
Black
My name is Evan, I like it. Uncommon without being too odd.
Edited by Simpleton, Jul 20 2017, 09:39 AM.

Oscar
Member Avatar
Beloved
Evan is a good name.

http://www.thenamemeaning.com/evan/

Quote:

Oscar: Yours cannot be stranger than mine. Show me yours and I'll show you mine...

Oh it's not that. 'Reluctant Apprentice' mentions how every bad guy seems to be a 'Michael'.

Lastly my last name is reminiscent of one of our exiled members. Funny coincidences.

What could follow Ardy?

Simpleton
No Avatar
Black
I have met a female named Evan. Odd.

crow
Member Avatar
One
For several years, when I was a musician, I called myself 'Hawken'. This was a name I heard once, belonging to a Norwegian Canadian. Since I was unaware, at the time, that it was actually spelled 'Haarkon', and it reminded me of a famously-obscure muzzle-loading rifle, I adopted the misspelled version.
Unfortunately, English people would often pronounce it as 'Orkins' or simply 'Orkin', and so it quickly became tiresome.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Member Ship · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Visitor Counter
Visitor Counter
Basic! theme created by g0b0ts of ZetaBoards Theme Zone