Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Secrets Of Life.
Here you may learn, contribute, and discuss - but not debate - the Mystical Nature of Life.

As a guest, you're limited to certain areas and features. If you would like to become a member, please go to:
http://the-many-secrets-of-life.blogspot.ca/ and leave a comment.

Otherwise you may click below, and maybe get a result...
--->Click to register.<---

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What! is this a Book?
Topic Started: Nov 20 2017, 08:26 PM (87 Views)
Ardy
Member Avatar
Generous
The Lighthouse in the Ocean of Chan

The Opening Talk

Who told you to open this book? What are you lacking of? You should be given thirty blows even before opening it. If you have taken it upon yourself already, and throw up upon encountering it, then you would be spared the shout that would deafen you for three months. Even though mentioning the koans, understand the sentence after Nirvana, the ultimate matter is still not there. Thirty blows, receive them yourself.
Edited by Ardy, Nov 20 2017, 08:26 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Simpleton
No Avatar
Black
I am assuming that this is an opening passage of some Buddhist text? You quote books of that nature quite a bit, and if I didn't know that I would be very confused. Perhaps you should consider making it more clear as to what you're doing?

I always have a hard time making much sense of the translations.
Edited by Simpleton, Nov 20 2017, 10:23 PM.

Oscar
Member Avatar
Beloved
That's some book :-). The first thing that it does is to tell us that we should put it down and that we experience a lack of understanding to pick it up and that's no good.

So what did you do, did you proceed or put it down? Some may have whipped themselves thirty times upon opening it...
Edited by Simpleton, Nov 21 2017, 10:09 AM.

Simpleton
No Avatar
Black
That's just for starters, I self-immolate before I read Buddhist texts.

Ardy
Member Avatar
Generous
Yes, it is the opening statement in the book. I downloaded it a while ago and forgot about it until yesterday. I loved the opening and if you have no experience of Zen life then it displays some of the aspects of training.

The shout that would make you deaf for 3 months was used by a master in the 700's to assist monks to break through, who are on the edge of enlightenment.

30 lashes are what you get if you asked the master a stupid question or was struck dumb (this is with a large wide, wooden paddle). Sometimes metaphorical and sometimes actual. There is a story of a student being struck and breaking through and turning around and striking the master to prove he had made the jump.

One of the rules I use when teaching meditation is to inform the students of the base 'rule', 'Do not accept anything I say, question everything, it is your personal experience that counts, not mine'.
Simpleton
Nov 21 2017, 10:44 AM
That's just for starters, I self-immolate before I read Buddhist texts.
That is a very fine approach Simpleton and I would stick with it, if it is how you feel.
Oscar
Nov 21 2017, 12:36 AM
That's some book :-). The first thing that it does is to tell us that we should put it down and that we experience a lack of understanding to pick it up and that's no good.

So what did you do, did you proceed or put it down? Some may have whipped themselves thirty times upon opening it...
I have gone no further but I most probably will. I am an avid reader of many things and Zen books are just a part of it.

Books
Classical music
laughter
Food and Wine
Women
Deep conversations

have been the drivers of my life....
Edited by Ardy, Nov 21 2017, 01:42 PM.

Simpleton
No Avatar
Black
That was an excellent response Ardy. I share a lot of your interests, in fact all of them that you listed.

Except perhaps food, I'm a very light eater.

That causes me problems with the girls, when I get invited to a womans house and they think "the way to a mans heart is through his stomach", so they cook me a huge meal that I cannot finish, and they get offended.

Also replace wine with beer. :)
Edited by Simpleton, Nov 21 2017, 04:51 PM.

Ardy
Member Avatar
Generous
Simpleton said: Also replace wine with beer. :)

I surmise that you are a youngish man. I was a huge beer drinker in my rugby playing days. Now it is red wine in winter and some white wine in summer.

crow
Member Avatar
One
For my part, I never really took to alcohol, and while I'd have the odd drink now and then, I'm down to maybe one drink in three weeks.

Coffee: 45%
Teas: 35%
Juices: 15%
Water: 4.5%
Liquor: 0.5%

I should drink more water I suppose, but - for unfathomable reasons - I never really took to that, either.

As to the OP: I've never been able to make any sense of this whole Zen-slapping-business. It seems exactly counter to what is being aimed-at. Maybe that's the point, though; to spoil any aim one may be taking at whatever it is...

"Squawk!" said the crow, and then made space.

Ardy
Member Avatar
Generous
It's often something from left field that pushes some over the edge and (as we have said before) teaches them to fly!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Essays and Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Visitor Counter
Visitor Counter
Basic! theme created by g0b0ts of ZetaBoards Theme Zone