Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Click here to join the Spiritus Discord server!
Locked Topic
The Citizens' Assembly Act
Topic Started: Nov 5 2017, 06:25 AM (351 Views)
Guy
Member Avatar

Quote:

Preamble

The Constitution vests power in the "citizens, who are sovereign acting collectively by at least a simple majority".

This law formally declares the citizens as having organised in the Citizens' Assembly for the purpose of exercising their powers. It also provides for the procedures of the Citizens' Assembly.

Title

1. This Act is the Citizens' Assembly Act.

Citizens' Assembly

2. The citizens declare themselves organised collectively as the Citizens' Assembly, which serves as the institution through which they exercise the powers granted to them by the Constitution.

President of the Citizens' Assembly

3. The Citizens' Assembly must elect a citizen to serve as President of the Citizens' Assembly (or the President).

4. The President is to have such powers as granted to them by law.

Election Procedures

5. Any citizen may nominate for President, regardless of whether the Presidency is vacant.

6. A candidacy is established once two other citizens formally support the nomination. A citizen may support more than one nomination.

7. Once a candidacy is established, other candidacies may be submitted within three days ('the nomination period'). An incumbent President automatically becomes a candidate, unless they express an intention not to run.

8. Upon the conclusion of the nomination period, the citizens are to vote for President for three days using optional preferential voting (instant-runoff voting).

Procedural Rules

9. Unless otherwise required by law, all questions are to be determined by a simple majority.

10. The President may determine all questions of procedure not provided for in law.

I'm not particularly wedded to anything here (especially not the election procedures), but I think it's a good start.
Edited by Guy, Nov 18 2017, 03:42 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Red Dusk
Member Avatar
Resident FT Role-Player
Um... Is there meant to not be a set (even minimum) time a president must serve before an election is called, Guy? The way I just read it, 6 people can cause constant elections every 6-7 days.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Guy
Member Avatar

Red Dusk
Nov 6 2017, 02:05 AM
Um... Is there meant to not be a set (even minimum) time a president must serve before an election is called, Guy? The way I just read it, 6 people can cause constant elections every 6-7 days.
Yeah, that is a potential concern. We can respond to that either by immunising a newly-elected President from facing an election. Alternatively, we can set a higher requirement for candidacies during the first month of someone’s reign - say five supports.

I don’t know how likely it is that three people (nominee + two supports) will lead us down the ‘neverending election’ path. If that happens, we can always change the law. So I don’t see a huge problem retaining it as it is, but I am in the hands of what you guys think.

Another alternative is to simply make it subject to regular elections. We’ve always had those, though, so I thought we’d do something different. It’s also an office where someone can do a good job at it for a while, but it can also rotate very quickly, so the more flexibility there could be a good thing. There is a counter-argument that it can lead to stagnation, but it’ll be very obvious whether the President is doing their job.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Red Dusk
Member Avatar
Resident FT Role-Player
I was more making sure you hadn't missed it. I wanted to address that it was missing, not that it isn't an idea without merit. I think my next question is Can the current President be one of the people supporting a nominee?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Guy
Member Avatar

Red Dusk
Nov 6 2017, 05:08 AM
I was more making sure you hadn't missed it. I wanted to address that it was missing, not that it isn't an idea without merit. I think my next question is Can the current President be one of the people supporting a nominee?
I don’t see why not.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Red Dusk
Member Avatar
Resident FT Role-Player
Alright. Makes sense to me then :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Libertarian Librarians
Member Avatar
Sassy, Spunky, Scary
Huzzah for the coming year of the 52 presidents!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Guy
Member Avatar

What procedural rules do we need? The alternative is to leave everything to the President’s discretion, which is… an interesting option, I guess?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Libertarian Librarians
Member Avatar
Sassy, Spunky, Scary
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Guy
Member Avatar

Motion to vote on the version in the OP.

If people want more exact procedural rules, they'll have to add them in.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Assembly Archives · Next Topic »
Locked Topic

Misty Woods created by Helena & Cory of ZNR