Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Warren Report: The new TOCV Trainer is here! Take a click! And make sure you check our IRC!
Welcome to Tactics Ogre Forums. You must be a fan.

And hey, look at that. You're viewing our forum as a guest? What's that about, huh? Guests may be welcome, but members are so much more welcome. I'll tell you what, if you join our community, I promise that you will be able to access member-only sections. But wait, that's not all! That's right, if you join today, we'll let you use many member-only features such as having a fancy custom profile, sending messages to your Tactics Ogre crush, and-- get this-- voting in polls! That's right, you get the right to vote.

Registration is easy. And it's obviously free. When is the last time you had to pay to join an internet forum? JOIN. AND REMEMBER, HERE YOU SHOW LOVE AND DEDICATION TO THE OGRE.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sprite designs for Tactics Ogre; Unoriginal, modified, and original.
Topic Started: May 13 2011, 05:21 AM (34,459 Views)
Ricojeh
Member Avatar
Death Knight
I have a love for the sprites and color choices of the Ogre Battle series, especially those in Tactics Ogre. Hell, ever since I bought The Knight of Lodis back in grade school, the thought of tampering with sprite pixels has always been in my head. So, recently, I've followed through on that idea, and made some tributary work, shared here for your pleasure.

If sprite designs for classes in Tactics Ogre could be chosen, like for the next game, these would be some of my choices. Some sprites are from scratch, some are modified, and some are a simple color change of an original.

Posted Image
Swordmaster

Posted Image
Ninja & Kunoichi

Posted Image
Dragoon

Posted Image
Cataphract

I'll post more sprites in the future, along with any concept art I make for them.
[RPGData:205|1|30|30|5|5|11|10|Spear|Scale Mail|Dragoon|0|None|None|0|0|0|0|None|1|None|None|None|None|None|None|None|None|None|None]
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SnowDream
Member Avatar
Sprouting Randomness All Over The Internet In Between Classes
I enjoyed the Valkyrie and dragoon spirits myself. Yes, I am nostalgic over my high school days when I played this everyday.

Ahh, and that female sword master. Shariar angel form is not too bad. I even played through the game once with only Shariar angel form.

nroejb
Member Avatar
Zombie Knight
For me the Valkyrie and Angel Knight :AK: sprites pretty much defiened how Angels and Valkyries have to look like. About the same goes for Terror knights (Though they are of course not as widely spread through stories and media as former).
I also think it's nice how Amazons are influenced by ancient greek Amazons (exept for the bareed, burned breast of course).
But I think the newer female sprites show a little too much leg...

@Ricojeh
I think your female Cataphract need a helm, all heavy units have helms (exept the female knight in the PSP version, which already is bothersome) and the Cataphract looks at least one number more "heavy" than the knight.
Sisteena has no green shoes!

Ricojeh
Member Avatar
Death Knight
@nroejb

I'll try that. I've gone back and ran through I couple helmet designs I had, shown below.

Posted Image

I plan on using helmet #3 and adding a face inside of it. Helm #4 might look better on a terror knight. For the male cataphract, I made the legs bulkier.

Posted Image

As for new sprites, I'm going to tackle the female knight (she should have a helm), male rune fencer, and female gunner (doing something about that dress).
[RPGData:205|1|30|30|5|5|11|10|Spear|Scale Mail|Dragoon|0|None|None|0|0|0|0|None|1|None|None|None|None|None|None|None|None|None|None]

A Novel Idea
Member Avatar
Don't think too hard, Denim. I will always be on your side.

I love, love, looooove your sprites, dude. Are the Ninja/Swordmaster sets taken from the PSP game or did you create them from the ground up?

About the Cataphract: the PSP game really pushed forward a tradition of making the better half of male/female units look really feminine. Even the fully-armored units. Basically, I like the helmetless Cataphract. :)
Posted Image

Ricojeh
Member Avatar
Death Knight
Here are two versions of the male and female knights.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks, Humble. The PSP sprites are actually taken from some screens of each class you provided on the forum in one of your topics. I just cropped the pics and changed the colors to the SNES palette.

A Novel Idea
Member Avatar

Humble? :humnov:
Posted Image

Ricojeh
Member Avatar
Death Knight
Ugh, I disgust myself. I don't know how that happened, but I'm sorry Novel (quickly stitches head back onto body and gives blood and oxygen to the brain). I found the PSP sprites that Wolkenritter posted in one of your topics.

Anyway, I apparently have more time on my hands for this stuff, so here's another version of the male knight I created. The concept art below can help you understand what the face portrait is supposed to look like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A Novel Idea
Member Avatar

Did you draw that concept art yourself? I like the concept of it, it reminds a bit of the Terror Knight's helmet, kinda. Or I might be thinking of the Dragoon's helmet. :)

Thanks for patching me up. The lack of oxygen to my brain for over an hour should have no adverse effects.... adfdsdsa... teywtrsd...
Posted Image

Wolkenritter
Member Avatar
I'll join your army! ... After you've wasted hours on an obscure mechanic
Recognized Member
Ricojeh
May 14 2011, 02:07 AM
Ugh, I disgust myself. I don't know how that happened, but I'm sorry Novel (quickly stitches head back onto body and gives blood and oxygen to the brain). I found the PSP sprites that Wolkenritter posted in one of your topics.

Speaking of which, I finally got around to unlocking Divine Knights (Angel Knights). I should probably post them >_>

Also welcome to the boards ;)

nroejb
Member Avatar
Zombie Knight
I like these Knight designs.
Also the blond female swordmaster is a good Idea, nothing against asians, but having just one asian looking class in the whole game/Island of Valeria seemed a little odd.

Yide
Member Avatar
General of the Chariots and Cavalry
nroejb
May 13 2011, 11:30 PM
Also the blond female swordmaster is a good Idea, nothing against asians, but having just one asian looking class in the whole game/Island of Valeria seemed a little odd.

um, what about ninja/Kunoichi. How would you make them not asian? And imo, id rather have a samurai then a sword master. Sword masters in the psp game just suck.
Zhang Fei (Yide)
張飛 (益德)

~In a challenge to Lü Bu, Zhang Fei said, “Stay, O twice bastard! I, Zhang Fei of Yan, await you!”

~While defending Liu Bei's retreat, Zhang Fei wards off Cao Cao's Force at Changban Bridge by shouting, "I am Zhang Fei of Yan! Have you a man who'll fight it out to the death?"

~Cao Cao, assessing Zhang Fei's challenge says this before pulling back his troops, "Once Lord Guan told me that Zhang Fei had taken the head of a chief general before the eyes of his own legions as easily as removing an object from a sack. Today we have crossed his path and must take care."

Wolkenritter
Member Avatar
I'll join your army! ... After you've wasted hours on an obscure mechanic
Recognized Member
Wicked_Joker
May 14 2011, 10:28 AM
nroejb
May 13 2011, 11:30 PM

um, what about ninja/Kunoichi. How would you make them not asian? And imo, id rather have a samurai then a sword master. Sword masters in the psp game just suck.

No they don't. You're just not using them right :cookie:

Give them Preempt and Counterattack and have them stand in in range of as many melee attackers as possible and watch them go! Finishers can hinder this strategy's efficiency somewhat but that's what spells like Brimstone and Drain Power are for.

Their dances are pretty terrible though. They only have three useful ones which are worth having. Lion Dance grants Strengthen to a large range of ally units. Shriving Dance is the only form of AoE debuff removal in the game (As far as I know). Finally, Envigorating Dance can restore the Swordmaster's TP at the cost of 50HP. It can also drain TP from enemies as well.

I suppose their only weakness is ranged attackers. You'll want Sidestep and/or Spellward on them. Of course they're outclassed by Ninjas. But what melee class isn't outclassed by them?

Oh yeah, Swordmasters ARE Samurai. Come on, the female Swordmaster's kimono should have made that obvious =/

nroejb
Member Avatar
Zombie Knight
Wolkenritter
May 14 2011, 01:06 PM
No they don't. You're just not using them right :cookie:

Give them Preempt and Counterattack and have them stand in in range of as many melee attackers as possible and watch them go! Finishers can hinder this strategy's efficiency somewhat but that's what spells like Brimstone and Drain Power are for.

Second that, Sword Masters are quite good, if used right.
Don't send them agains large sized unints though...

Wicked_Joker
May 14 2011, 10:28 AM

Yeah forgot about them, but still dindling minority (Is the male Ninja even asian?)

Ricojeh
Member Avatar
Death Knight
A problem with Swordmasters in the PSP version is you need high dexterity from the start to block melee attacks and high vitality when blocking fails. If you are not using Haborym, then you have to spend quality time beefing up your swordmaster with cards. Their attack power is their best quality. If the dances could be replaced by area-effected slash attacks and better status boosters (like combine both fortify and strengthen into one move), then the class could be redeemed.

I'll be posting some Angel Knight designs later.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tower of Babel · Next Topic »
Add Reply