Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Super Champion Film Zone. We hope your visit is dope.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, creating a personal blog, feeding contents, filling the database, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NOIRVEMBER; All about film-noir
Topic Started: Nov 2 2015, 07:39 PM (5,463 Views)
Silga
Member Avatar
g legs' bosom buddy
[ *  *  * ]
I think it is the appropriate time to start a thread about all film-noir movies that we are watching this month.

This year, I will stick to neo-noir.

Had De Palma's double bill yesterday, as I watched Blow Out (6/10) and Body Double (7.5/10). Still humming the amazing Pino Donaggio's score for Body Double.
Letterboxd profile

MUBI profile
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nrh
Member Avatar
headache
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
noirvember plans: http://www.movingimage.us/films/2015/11/13/detail/lonely-places-film-noir-and-the-american-landscape/
notes
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

rischka
Member Avatar
wile eye
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
i will find the films from this ^ that i haven't seen and watch them and pretend...

tomorrow is another day
the savage eye

and i'll give on dangerous ground a rewatch since i haven't seen it for years and i barely remember anything but robert ryan and ida lupino

edit: hang on it seems i've seen this amazing mr x! hmmm. maybe i rewatch desert fury cuz it's so fun :D
Edited by rischka, Nov 2 2015, 09:47 PM.
"covfefe" -- dj cheeto

letterboxd + tumblr + icheckmovies

M Penalosa
Member Avatar
El Jefe
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I want to make a pitch for my current favorite noir: Drive a Crooked Road (1954)
Letterboxd Profile

My Blog

flip out
Member Avatar
cryptic
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I got a head start on Noirvember, have not yet seen anything too amazing though:

Somewhere in the Night (Joseph Mankiewicz, 1946) - embryonic noir, a blueprint for many later (and better) films. Most of the noir tropes are here, hardboiled dialogue, amnesia, voiceover, nightclub singer interlude, a returning war vet incapable of reintegrating with society, a femme fatale, a morally ambiguous protagonist, a mental hospital, shadow aplenty, and plotting convoluted beyond all sense. Enjoyably disorienting at first while we're at sea with the amnesiac protagonist, but less successful later as a dialogue-driven film with a nonsensical plot. - 6/10

Fallen Angel (Otto Preminger, 1945) - bizarre film, incoherent as a genre exercise, events and relationships all feel really unmotivated and arbitrary, but might be something I appreciate more on a rewatch. Linda Darnell burns up the frame in every scene though. - 5/10

Whirlpool (Otto Preminger, 1949) - the more immediately persuasive of the two Premingers I watch, a Ben Hecht scripted psycho-noir featuring Gene Tierney, Jose Ferrer, and Richard Conte, hard to go too wrong there. - 7/10

Caught (Max Ophuls, 1949) - Ophuls directs like it's a Victorian epic, kind of amazingly ostentatious swooping cameras, impressive to watch but maybe unsuited to the material which is a bit overwrought melodrama, that a good cast almost makes work. - 6/10

Talk About a Stranger (David Bradley, 1952) - it has an annoying kid in the lead, and the first half of the film is him playing with his new dog. So it's intolerable until the second half, when the plot gives John Alton a chance to work some magic. Hard to recommend though since half the film is so bad. - 5/10

Edited by flip out, Nov 2 2015, 10:36 PM.

bure420
Member Avatar
deadpan darling
BEST TIME OF THE YR!!!!! first up on my docket:

CAUGHT max ophuls
DESPERATE anthony mann
CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS john h. auer
RIDE THE PINK HORSE robert montgomery
ODD MAN OUT carol reed
THE BIG KNIFE robert aldrich
A DOUBLE LIFE george cukor
DEAD END william wyler
CORNERED edward dmytryk

will watch these and report back to base
Posted Image

sad_satellites on letterboxd | ordinaryeternalmachinery on tumblr

rischka
Member Avatar
wile eye
ok penalosa watched messiah of evil so i'm down for this crooked road...i guess :ermm:

Posted Image
"covfefe" -- dj cheeto

M Penalosa
Member Avatar
El Jefe
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I know I know...I was dreading a Micky Rooney noir, too...but trust me.
Letterboxd Profile

My Blog

Lencho of the Apes
Member Avatar
Let's go do some crimes
Nothing wrong with the Mickey Rooney noirs; Quicksand and Killer McCoy are two more very solid little movies. (Plus Quicksand has Peter Lorre!) I think the transition from teen to full-grown (so to speak) did M.R. some good.
Edited by Lencho of the Apes, Nov 3 2015, 01:14 AM.
"The four cardinal points of the compass? In reality, there are only three: North and South."

rischka
Member Avatar
wile eye
i'm gonna cheat with some foreign films again too. like tonight i've got robert hossein's point de chute (falling point) ...because it's from 1970 :)

other possibilities include bava's cani arrabbiati (rabid dogs) and hasse ekman's girl with hyacinths

and feher's szurkulet (twilight) which i've got left over from halloween horrors

i recommend for fans of britnoir: daughter of darkness d. lance comfort (1948) found on dailymotion

Edited by rischka, Nov 3 2015, 03:18 AM.
"covfefe" -- dj cheeto

Lencho of the Apes
Member Avatar
Let's go do some crimes
At first glance, I thought Point de chute was the french name for a cheap autofocus camera.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk.
"The four cardinal points of the compass? In reality, there are only three: North and South."

rischka
Member Avatar
wile eye
Posted Image

point not pointe ty. je ne parle pas francais. btw the star of point de chute is johnny hallyday

Posted Image
Edited by rischka, Nov 3 2015, 03:26 AM.
"covfefe" -- dj cheeto

Lencho of the Apes
Member Avatar
Let's go do some crimes
I didn't know Johnny Hallyday acted. Probably the most credible of 1st-generation French rock-n-rollers.

nrh
Member Avatar
headache
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lencho of the Apes
Nov 3 2015, 03:42 AM
I didn't know Johnny Hallyday acted. Probably the most credible of 1st-generation French rock-n-rollers.

there's a little film called vengeance........
notes

rischka
Member Avatar
wile eye
well i wouldn't call him any great actor but he's got a look and sometimes that's all you need. he's made a fair few films: best known probably patrice leconte's man on the train in 2002 and johnnie to's vengeance in 2009 -- in which he's supposed to be delon's character from le samourai. it's pretty interesting. point de chute is a sort of psychological thriller about the relationship between a girl and her kidnappers. she's seen hallyday's face and he's been ordered to kill her...

edit: heh. and thanks for that clip lencho; i actually hadn't seen him sing before!

Posted Image

here he is in vengeance 40 years later
Edited by rischka, Nov 3 2015, 04:06 AM.
"covfefe" -- dj cheeto

M Penalosa
Member Avatar
El Jefe
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kansas City Confidential (Karlsen, 1952). 7/10

Plot histrionics interferes with a great performance quartet.
Letterboxd Profile

My Blog

Mauries
Member Avatar
g legs' sweetheart
[ *  *  *  * ]
rischka
Nov 3 2015, 01:21 AM
other possibilities include bava's cani arrabbiati (rabid dogs) and ...

Rabid Dogs is cooool!
The Economy stinks, bees are dying, and movies are pretty much all sequels now

Lencho of the Apes
Member Avatar
Let's go do some crimes
Cabaret-with-noir-touches-vember? Could that be a thing?

Posted Image

I don't see why not.

Cuando el alba llegue /At the Break Of Dawn Juan Jose Ortega, 1950 6.5/10

Occasional striking depth-of-field stuff, but too much of it is not-noir-enough; the subplots stray pretty far from noir expectations. Couple of iconic actors wearing the hell out of those lapels n wide ties n hat-brims, though -- Jose Pulido and Carlos Riquelme rocking it hard.

Plot? Gender-flipped Salon Mexico: the bad guy who owns the club and exploits the womens, HE'S the one who has an innocent little brother that he's making sacrifices for. If you call them sacrifices...

The star of this one directed a remake in 1965 called Callejon Sin Salida; it was pitch-black like John Alton and it was crazily immersed in a narrative logic where cliches and conventions were realer than realism, alternate universe noir that reminded me a bit of he Big Combo (except for the thing where it wasn't really very good.)
Edited by Lencho of the Apes, Nov 4 2015, 03:55 PM.

Hedgelord
Member Avatar
Future SCFZ Hall of Farmer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
rischka
Nov 3 2015, 03:58 AM
well i wouldn't call him any great actor but he's got a look and sometimes that's all you need. he's made a fair few films: best known probably patrice leconte's man on the train in 2002 and johnnie to's vengeance in 2009 -- in which he's supposed to be delon's character from le samourai. it's pretty interesting. point de chute is a sort of psychological thriller about the relationship between a girl and her kidnappers. she's seen hallyday's face and he's been ordered to kill her...

edit: heh. and thanks for that clip lencho; i actually hadn't seen him sing before!

Posted Image

here he is in vengeance 40 years later
Loved "Man on a Train"

This is why I like this site, because the obscure films I love, that most other people don't care about, get mentioned here.
Edited by Hedgelord, Nov 5 2015, 02:07 AM.
Then I Woke Up

Deleted User
Deleted User

started my noirvember with tourneur's berlin express. it was pretty good, excepting that atrocious (tho thankfully sparse) voiceover; also, robert ryan always makes me wish i was watching sterling hayden instead.... still, it was a nice little int'l noir (def better than t-man's the fearmakers). i especially liked how it expands and retracts amongst its ensemble cast, taking its time in focusing in on the seeming protagonists while all the events of the storyline unfold simultaneously. kinda reminded me of a less flashy the third man
Quote Post Goto Top

bure420
Member Avatar
deadpan darling
t-man... but what about t-mann (tony mann)... what about t-mann's t-men... huh??
Posted Image

Silga
Member Avatar
g legs' bosom buddy
[ *  *  * ]
Watched three more neo-noirs.

Two Bob Rafelson films:

Black Widow (1987) - 5/10

Blood and Wine (1996) - 5/10

I really wanted to like both films, but they are hot mess and lacking that precision from director that is vital in noir genre. As I see it, noir is a genre almost entirely dependent on director's style. And I just couldn't make out what Rafelson thought about those two films himself. Two interesting scripts, great cinematography (esp. Conrad L. Hall's work in Black Widow), talented cast members. So there are good elements in both films, but end result is mediocre.

Also watched John Dahl's Kill Me Again (1989). 7/10

As a fan of Red Rock West, I expected something good, but I was still pleasantly surprised by Dahl's debut feature. Some cheesy moments, but overall an exciting exercise in style and acting. Michael Madsen's character could have been utilised better, but it is still a fun ride.
Edited by Silga, Nov 4 2015, 10:36 PM.
Letterboxd profile

MUBI profile

James•
Member Avatar
the good shit repper
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
fixing to start noirvember off with Losey's The Big Night.

will come up with a proper list later, but I've been meaning to see Drive a Crooked Road, so that one for sure.

The Savage Eye also catches my eye. looks to be, at the very least, a worthwhile curiosity.
lttrbxdtumblrsoundsound (alt)

rischka
Member Avatar
wile eye
Posted Image

ok penalosa this was pretty great and the least annoying rooney i've ever seen

Posted Image

this creep on the other hand.... :blink:
"covfefe" -- dj cheeto

M Penalosa
Member Avatar
El Jefe
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
^ :toast:

The Prowler (Losey, 1950) 8/10

I'll never be able to watch Van Heflin be the good guy again. What a brilliant sickfuck performance.
Edited by M Penalosa, Nov 6 2015, 12:57 PM.
Letterboxd Profile

My Blog

Silga
Member Avatar
g legs' bosom buddy
[ *  *  * ]
Continuing with neo-noirs:

The Last Seduction (John Dahl, 1994) 6/10

Linda Fiorentino is amazing, but I don't think it is worthy of 4* from Ebert and 94% at RT.

Soderbergh's double bill:

The Underneath (1995) 5/10

Soderbergh's worst film. A lot of interesting ideas that he will later employ to a much better effect.

The Limey (1999) 8/10

And he did that with The Limey. Terence Stamp's magnificent performance + always reliable character work from Luis Guzman. Even Peter Fonda didn't f*ck things up. And it is always great to see Barry Newman (Vanishing Point).
Letterboxd profile

MUBI profile

rischka
Member Avatar
wile eye
ok i don't know what happened but noirvember is almost over!! anyway as promised i watched the savage eye. it's noir in spirit i guess but hardly conforms to most other rules, eliding the line between documentary and fiction. the narration is...interesting, maybe a bit too self consciously 'beat poet'...but the photography is extraordinary. it's mainly a cinéma vérité of los angeles in the 50s and i wasn't surprised to see that helen levitt worked on it, covering everything from faith healers to burlesque and prizefights to drag queens

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

fascinating if not entirely successful :toast: 7/10

also watched (for 1947 poll) sirk's lured and a couple of gothic melodramas, uncle silas and the lost moment. uncle silas was my favorite of these though it is campy. lucy kept luring me out of lured :ermm:

Posted Image

too much of this face :blink:
Edited by rischka, Nov 27 2015, 08:56 PM.
"covfefe" -- dj cheeto

pabs
Member Avatar
g legs' wife's lover
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]

Le cercle rouge (Melville, 1970) 6.6/10

I guess I was expecting another Le samouraï. I therefore found it a bit too ordinary. Just another OK heist flick.

Edited by pabs, Nov 28 2015, 07:38 AM.
Letterbxd

bure420
Member Avatar
deadpan darling
got to the video store 3 minutes before it closed (-8

picked up:

WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS fritz lang
SLIGHTLY SCARLET allan dwan
ANGEL FACE otto preminger
THE LETTER william wyler

yippee! got a fun night ahead of me
Posted Image

rischka
Member Avatar
wile eye
one last noirvember film: hugo haas' pickup is as lurid as the poster

Posted Image

haas himself stars as a middleaged man who gets picked up by beverly michaels at a carnival and marries her about 10 minutes after she gets a good look at his bank book. youtube copy is kinda rough, entirely suitable for such films imo :cool: not as good as wicked woman but it's entertaining enough
Edited by rischka, Dec 1 2015, 01:13 AM.
"covfefe" -- dj cheeto

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Film Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply