Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Slot Lodge. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you cannot use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, such as the Buy/Trade/Sell forums, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, viewing photo's and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. You will also receive an email from us asking you a couple of simple questions. Answering the email that we send you, when you apply for membership, is required. It is how we keep out spammers and other nasties. Failure to reply tells us that you are not interested, or you are a spammer. Your membership approval rests solely on your reply.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
3D Printing
Topic Started: Sep 8 2017, 07:00 PM (184 Views)
slotto
Member Avatar

My adventures in 3D Printing. Our Public Library just acquired three 3D Printers.

Posted Image

It all starts with a design. This was done in Sketchup. It is a sketch of the front wheel sleeve. When finished, I take the file to another program called MeshLab. This will convert to something that the library's software will understand. From there I need to load it on one of their Macs using the maker software. This will add the printer characteristics that the printer needs like scaling, where on the plate it is placed and so on. Then it's off to the printer. I saved the file onto a flash drive and plugged it right in.

Posted Image

Here's the center section I drew up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After some clean up the pieces can go together.

Posted Image

After they are joined together.

Posted Image

Eyeballing under my latest build.

Stay Tuned...
Edited by slotto, Sep 8 2017, 07:16 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hilltop Racing
Member Avatar

Cooooooooool stuff!!! RM
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bubba 123

WOW!!!

Bubba ;-)

Bubba 123

Hey,

Been "Watching" the Ads for 3-D Printers....
They seem to be JUMPING in Quality & Abilities by LEAPS & BOUNDS !!!
About every 4-Months now.. Also, Like the original "VCR's", $$$ Drops along the way as well !!!

Bubba

slotto
Member Avatar

Ive got my eye on a few...

slotto
Member Avatar

Here's a few more ideas I've been kickin around...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stay Tuned...

slotto
Member Avatar

I made it to the library today...

Posted Image

I printed off 3 more styles today. The plan is to print the sleeves separately as a standard rim then print off the centers as needed

Stay Tuned...
Edited by slotto, Dec 1 2017, 07:29 PM.

Hilltop Racing
Member Avatar

Amazing stuff and possibilities!!! RM

partspig
Member Avatar
Administrator
Slotto, I take it these are large scale wheels. It would be great if they could be done in HO scale! Combined with those new chrome pens they would be a winner for sure!

slotto
Member Avatar

Yeah, I agree Dennis. This is 1/24-5 scale. The printer won't print details like this at HO scale.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply