Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Slot Lodge. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you cannot use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, such as the Buy/Trade/Sell forums, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, viewing photo's and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. You will also receive an email from us asking you a couple of simple questions. Answering the email that we send you, when you apply for membership, is required. It is how we keep out spammers and other nasties. Failure to reply tells us that you are not interested, or you are a spammer. Your membership approval rests solely on your reply.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
My custom Tonkas
Topic Started: Nov 12 2013, 04:51 PM (1,100 Views)
SlickRick
Member Avatar

Here's a Buddy L traveling zoo truck(yellow) and a Nylint Briggs and Stratton truck.
I got a bunch more, I just have to take some pictures of them.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

partspig
Member Avatar
Administrator
Are you going to do a how did I do that thread?? huh? huh? huh? :wub: :wub:
Edited by partspig, Nov 12 2013, 05:23 PM.

SlickRick
Member Avatar

I sure will! As soon as I take some more pictures

SlickRick
Member Avatar

I took some more pictures, just waiting to get some more to do a tutorial...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This one started out as a Structo cee-ment truck (when I got it, it had no mixer). I extended the frame and made a flatbed/ramp, it ever slides back...
Posted Image Posted Image

nutherdave
Member Avatar

Those are Cool all lowered Rick. Is this a new thing or have guys been doing these for years? What about value? Only certain ones candidates?

partspig
Member Avatar
Administrator
Rick, will probably add to this and/or correct me were I stick my foot into it, but this is what I know…………… Tonka is the only manufacturer that I can find re-pop parts for. For Buddy L, Nylint, Structo and proby a half dozen more pressed steel toy makers, the only way to get replacement parts is to scavenge them off of other vehicles. Hence, some collectors like Rick, have taken the customization route, to "restore" these toys. I see that there are others at toy and train shows that I go to, that do similar things to them ……. TO each his own, it is all good. I grew up with Tonkas, so those are the ones that I buy and restore. My buddy that I go to shows with, likes Buddy L, Nylints and a maker known as Adams Doepke Motor Models. The Motor Models toys were larger than the rest and made from heavier gauge steel and they were very, very well made, making them very heavy and nearly indestructible. When at the toy & train shows I do the same thing I do at slot shows, look for the junk boxes!! Quite often I find a rebuildable carcass for less than ten bucks. Sometimes they are nearly complete but for a few parts!

As far as value goes, collectors prefer minty ones over restored or customized ones, as per our slot cars. I see restored ones at shows more and more every year, which makes me believe that most if not all of the really good examples have been bought up over the years.

That Tonka Fire Truck I purchased this summer will be restored. I bought it for 30 bucks, when restored, if I was selling it, I would put a price tag of 125 to 175 on it! It will go on the shelf with the others I have! :D
Just my two cents of what I have learned over the years. And Rick, nice stuff!! I like what your doing with them, don't stop!! Have a good day!
Edited by partspig, Dec 2 2013, 08:25 AM.

partspig
Member Avatar
Administrator
OH Yeah,,,,,, Rick where did ya get that Hot Rod??? I have never seen one of those before! Is that a scratch build or???? Inquiring minds want to know.

SlickRick
Member Avatar

Quote:

Those are Cool all lowered Rick. Is this a new thing or have guys been doing these for years? What about value? Only certain ones candidates?

I've been doing it for a few years, not sure about other guys tho. Value, well they're all over the place lol. I'll slam anyone that I can get for under $25-30.
This is one I sold on the bay and got $65 for it...I still kick my self in the arse for selling it..
Posted Image
Posted Image

Quote:

Rick, will probably add to this and/or correct me were I stick my foot into it, but this is what I know…………… Tonka is the only manufacturer that I can find re-pop parts for. For Buddy L, Nylint, Structo and proby a half dozen more pressed steel toy makers, the only way to get replacement parts is to scavenge them off of other vehicles. Hence, some collectors like Rick, have taken the customization route, to "restore" these toys. I see that there are others at toy and train shows that I go to, that do similar things to them ……. TO each his own, it is all good. I grew up with Tonkas, so those are the ones that I buy and restore. My buddy that I go to shows with, likes Buddy L, Nylints and a maker known as Adams Doepke Motor Models. The Motor Models toys were larger than the rest and made from heavier gauge steel and they were very, very well made, making them very heavy and nearly indestructible. When at the toy & train shows I do the same thing I do at slot shows, look for the junk boxes!! Quite often I find a rebuildable carcass for less than ten bucks. Sometimes they are nearly complete but for a few parts!

As far as value goes, collectors prefer minty ones over restored or customized ones, as per our slot cars. I see restored ones at shows more and more every year, which makes me believe that most if not all of the really good examples have been bought up over the years.

You're 100% on replacement parts, and customize is my middle name lol! Collectors do indeed prefer the minty ones
Quote:

OH Yeah,,,,,, Rick where did ya get that Hot Rod??? I have never seen one of those before! Is that a scratch build or???? Inquiring minds want to know.

I picked that one up at a flea market, I think its a Nylint or Buddy L. I'll check later and Verify which one it is... and yes that one is modified too lol

partspig
Member Avatar
Administrator
Rick and All, I am going to a train show today. I usually see a few rusted relics there. I may pick up one or two out of a junk box for 5 or 10 dollars. Usually they are rusty brown or missing parts or both! I wish that I had the time and money to buy more, but slot cars get 90% of my attention. So I'll stick to restoring one or two Tonkas a year, if I can! Maybe I will even get lucky and pick up a few slot cars or slot car parts!

Hilltop Racing
Member Avatar

Don't know how I missed this thread, just didn't scroll down far enough, doh!!! Good stuff here!!! RM

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion of Pressed Steel Toys · Next Topic »
Add Reply