| If you can't access your old account but want to post, post as a guest. The permissions have been altered so guests can post. |
| Cincinnati Reds | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:23 pm (3,047 Views) | |
| CinciFan985 | Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:42 pm Post #271 |
|
Reds 45-57
![]()
|
CINCINNATI --- Reds Spring Training opens in just over 22 days, but the roster you see when camp starts on Feb. 14 should look just like the one you see now. The Reds have hit the maximum they want to spend on the 2009 team payroll and aren't looking to make any more acquisitions. "I just don't foresee us doing anything right now," general manager Walt Jocketty said on Thursday as he prepared to leave on the Reds Winter Caravan. "I want to see what we have going into camp." That means a couple of offseason items on the shopping list will likely remain unchecked, namely a run producer to man left field. "We're trying to strengthen our bench, but right now we're at the limit, payroll-wise," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "It's a tough market out there right now." All winter, Jocketty indicated that the nation's slumping economy would likely affect baseball spending league-wide. And while economics certainly appear to have curtailed the Reds' efforts somewhat, the team looks like it will end up close to the $74 million payroll it opened with in 2008. The club isn't revealing the exact payroll figure. "It's what it was last year," Jocketty said. "In fact, it might be a little bit more." After signing free agents Willy Taveras, Arthur Rhodes, Mike Lincoln and Jerry Hairston Jr., and acquiring Ramon Hernandez in a trade, the Reds have $58.375 million committed to 10 players for the upcoming season. Francisco Cordero will be the highest earner at $12 million, followed by Aaron Harang ($11 million), Bronson Arroyo ($9.5 million), Hernandez ($8 million, with the Orioles picking up about $2 million), Alex Gonzalez ($5.375 million), Brandon Phillips ($4.75 million), Taveras ($2.25 million), Hairston ($2 million), Rhodes (estimated $2 million) and Lincoln ($1.5 million). Cincinnati also has two arbitration cases pending with Edwin Encarnacion and David Weathers. Encarnacion wants $3.7 million, while the Reds countered with a $2.55 million offer. Weathers is seeking $4.6 million and the Reds offered $3 million. If free-agent outfielder Jonny Gomes makes the club after signing a Minor League contract this week, he will earn a $600,000 base salary. The remainder of the roster is expected to earn in the $400,000 range. Meanwhile, the club is trying to find ways to generate and improve its revenue stream. "We're focused on the top line," Reds owner/CEO Bob Castellini said. "We feel like we've put together just about the whole team we anticipated we'd be able to put together." Aside from the Cubs' addition of outfielder Milton Bradley, no club in the National League Central division made drastic improvements, and the Reds aren't conceding efforts to contend in 2009. However, it's clear there is a focus on building beyond 2009. That mantra will be evident during Winter Caravan this week, as several prospects were included on the trip to help get fans excited about the future. Among those being featured at stops are the past two first-round Draft picks in Yonder Alonso and Devin Mesoraco, and Reds Minor League Player of the Year Chris Valaika. "It takes time to build a consistently competitive organization," Jocketty said. "You can do some things to have instant success, but you can't sustain it. We want to build an organization that sustains success for a long time and be a club that's in the hunt every year. That's why we're really trying to develop our younger players and really utilize the talent we have in the organization, and add to it with some veteran guys." i swear im beginning to hate walt jocketty.
Edited by CinciFan985, Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:43 pm.
|
|
|
| CincinnatiRep | Wed Feb 4, 2009 11:02 pm Post #272 |
![]()
|
Edinson Volquez is da man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4wkmqrib7U&feature=channel_page |
|
|
| CinciFan985 | Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:51 am Post #273 |
|
Reds 45-57
![]()
|
i didn't understand any words but oh baby but nice vid and i agree volquez is the man.
|
|
|
| CinciFan985 | Thu Feb 5, 2009 8:22 pm Post #274 |
|
Reds 45-57
![]()
|
Reds sign Daryl Ward and Jacque Jones to minor league deals. |
|
|
| CHILL | Fri Feb 6, 2009 1:11 am Post #275 |
![]()
|
Darryle Ward and Jacque Jones were the shit when they were with the Cubs. Huge signings by the Reds. Best personalities and Ward is a great pinch hitter. |
|
|
| CinciFan985 | Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:39 pm Post #276 |
|
Reds 45-57
![]()
|
it just sucks it's minor league deals. hopefully they make the team out right in spring training. |
|
|
| CincinnatiRep | Wed Mar 4, 2009 9:02 pm Post #277 |
![]()
|
-Reds legend Johnny Bench made his first appearance of the spring. Bench put on his No. 5 jersey and watched batting practice inside Ed Smith Stadium. He is in town while the team hosts corporate partners this week. -Recently retired 1B Sean Casey visited the Reds clubhouse today. Casey is in town with MLB Network while it shoots video and does interviews for the 30 Clubs/30 Days series. One regret is that Casey was traded to the Pirates the day after I started on the Reds beat in December, 2005. I never got to regularly work around one of the all-time nicest guys in the game. -I talked to friend and Twins pitching great and broadcaster Bert Blyleven, who is the pitching coach for the Netherlands World Baseball Classic team. The Dutch squad features Reds Minor League pitchers Alexander Smit and Juan Carlos Sulbaran -- both will benefit from working with Blyleven, who had one of the best curveballs ever and 3,701 career strikeouts. "He's got a good arm, a live arm," Blyleven said about Sulbaran, a 30th round pick in last year's Draft. "He's young though. He's just 19." Sulbaran also pitched for the Dutch National team in the 2008 Olympics. http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/ |
|
|
| CincinnatiRep | Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:52 pm Post #278 |
![]()
|
So what will our Pitching staff be like this season? I think we could go with 11 for the pitching staff, in fact, I wish we would. I think regardless of 11 or 12, Bailey is starting the year in AAA, and not only is there nothing wrong with that, he really needs to. He still hasn't had sustained success at that level. If the strides he is showing in the spring are for real, then he will excel at AAA and be up by the middle of the summer. The bigger question for me is why we need 12 pitchers. I think they could do just fine with 11, and the extra option for the bench would be nice for a change. Harang Volquez Arroyo Cueto Owings Cordero Burton Rhodes Weathers Lincoln Bray Massett to waivers, and if clears, AAA. Bailey to AAA. |
|
|
| CincinnatiRep | Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:03 pm Post #279 |
![]()
|
All so far have picked the reds to finish 2nd or 3rd. I thought a month or so ago, most was saying the reds would lose 90-100 games. Either more people are liking what they are seeing or some teams in the NL Central below us are going to lose a whole lot of games. FWIW...I think the reds have a good shot at third with an outside shot at second depending on Carpentar's health with STL. |
|
|
| CincinnatiRep | Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:08 pm Post #280 |
![]()
|
I CAN'T WAIT FOR OPENING DAY AT GABP But will it get rained out? Weather Fourcast: Mon Apr 6 Few Showers 61° 46° 30% love cloudy dark days here in cinc, so im lookin forward to it |
|
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| Go to Next Page | |
| « Previous Topic · United Sports · Next Topic » |







7:19 PM Jul 10