Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to WhoOnEarthISTomBaker?. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Faucet Fuss Rant
Topic Started: Mar 4 2011, 05:02 AM (590 Views)
StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Last night I noticed my bathroom faucet was leaking, and it turned out to be on the hot water tap side, and so I took apart the hot water tap and discovered the offending washer. When the next day I tried to get it replaced I found out that I had to replace the entire cartridge but that none of the places I went had it.

So now am in the process of running around all over the web trying to find the darn thing, which it looks like I may have order, and in the meantime have to put up with no bathroom faucet, which is very annoying.

Why do they have to make these things so complicated?

:wacko:
The Untold Doctor Who

As Wide as the Infinite Sky

:sssmob:

Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish! What's a StitchInTime?
It is a wrinkle, a glitch, a hitch, an irrepressible hangnail in the fabric of space-time that can't be clipped.
- S.C.L. Eiler

When the moose shows up on your doorstep, we'll know that all is lost. - wombat (June 11, 2007)

Brigadier: You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets. (Robot)

Sarah Jane (about the Fourth Doctor): He sometimes talks to himself, mostly because he's the only person who knows what he's talking about. (The Ark in Space)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

toms no 1 fan
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
:biggrin: i dont know i think they just like to make stuff hard for us to get to grips with .hope all is ok now for you stitch

Gold Usher
Soul_Of_TOM
What happened to just tying a piece of yarn around the stem to stop the leak?

Dripping HOT water is a problem... not cost effective.

Good luck Stitch!
"We joked that in the future, when you were born you would be assigned a telephone number and if you didn't answer the phone, you were dead"

Martin Cooper-inventor of the mobile phone

Hypatia
Member Avatar
Heart_Of_TOM
Quote:

So now am in the process of running around all over the web trying to find the darn thing

I guess that's why they call it "running water"... :mellow:
Posted ImageWho can say where the road goes, where the day flows -- only time ~ Enya

[align=center]Posted Image "This is another fine forum you've landed us in, Doctor!"[/align]

scifikat
Heart_Of_TOM
it's the same reason that all instruction booklets are 50 pages long to do something that just needs 3 steps!

hope all is ok by now for you!

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
StitchInTime,Mar 4 2011
12:02 AM
Last night I noticed my bathroom faucet was leaking, and it turned out to be on the hot water tap side, and so I took apart the hot water tap and discovered the offending washer. When the next day I tried to get it replaced I found out that I had to replace the entire cartridge but that none of the places I went had it.

Oh my, I did get this replaced. It turned out that it was under warranty by the original manufacturer, which is a good thing, as these babies are not cheap!
The Untold Doctor Who

It is a wrinkle, a glitch, a hitch, an irrepressible hangnail in the fabric of space-time that can't be clipped.
- S.C.L. Eiler

When the moose shows up on your doorstep, we'll know that all is lost. - wombat (June 11, 2007)

Brigadier: You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets. (Robot)

Sarah Jane (about the Fourth Doctor): He sometimes talks to himself, mostly because he's the only person who knows what he's talking about. (The Ark in Space)

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Good grief, now it appears I will have to replace the cold water side too (and so it's lucky that they sent me two the first time) and the one in the kitchen, which I ordered on Friday.
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Perhaps we could rename this the plumbing thread. :biggrin:

No, I still have not changed the cartridge yet :wacko: (see above) but tonight I had to go out and get a new flapper for the toilet as the chain broke off the flapper and it's pretty hard to flush that way (putting your hand in the tank every time to lift the flapper) and so I decided this required immediate action. It was 7 pm and the store I prefer told me they close at 8 pm and so I really had to hustle to get up there and back and then have time to do the repair tonight, although actually the biggest part was probably finding a place to put everything that was sitting on top of the toilet as well as the lid itself and then cleaning the top of the toilet and putting everything back together again! :imfao: Anyhow, it's done now and so far so good. :biggrin:

I also managed to get some grommets, which I had been intending to do for a while. I need these to fix the shower curtain as the holes where the rings go are wearing out. Now, I know it would likely be just as easy and probably the same price or less to replace the whole thing, but I rather like it and so I picked up a set of plastic grommets, which I hopefully will have time to install another day. They have the advantage of being the same colour as the one already in there (although for some reason I could not find the rest of the package I bought years ago, or maybe I used them on something else, now long discarded).
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

bonnie
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
I'm glad to hear that you got your toilet fixed. It's a royal pain when you have to fix things yourself, though.

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
It can be but it can also give one an enormous sense of accomplishment at the end of the job and also of independence. As well, when hiring someone becomes necessary it helps to know a thing or two. :grin: And sometimes I find that I know more than the professionals and even do a better job on my own. In fact, this is exactly what happened when I had to replace the cartridge in the kitchen faucet. The plumber could not figure out how to take the faucet apart but with one phone call to the manufacturer I was able to get the right tool for the job for free and replace the cartridge myself. :grin:

But if I could find good help and afford it? Yes, I would probably delegate most of it to someone else.
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Oh, drat the water is going to be off again on Friday, and nothing wears out the plumbing faster than that. :thud:
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

bonnie
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
I hope the water situation gets resolved and that your plumbing comes out okay.

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Thanks. :bye: (Begins filling buckets in preparation for the "drought.")
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Well, it appears we all survived the temporary outage, which turned out be a lot shorter than predicted, but I assume the property manager allotted extra time in case it took longer than expected to purge the air out of the pipes and fix the leak. :grin:
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

bonnie
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
That's good that you didn't have to wait as long as predicted. Being without water is a real pain. :dry:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Place For Anything Else · Next Topic »
Add Reply