Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to WhoOnEarthISTomBaker?. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Official Food Thread
Topic Started: Aug 14 2014, 01:08 AM (1,637 Views)
StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Question #1 What are you craving right now?

I've been having a lot cravings for different things lately, including canned baked beans, sunflower seeds, bread and cheese and just about anything sweet (which I don't have much of and can't really afford right now and so I've had to settle for canned baked beans, sunflower seeds and bread and cheese. :imfao: ) Of course, I expect that some of this craving has got to do with recent changes in the weather (see weather thread for details :biggrin: ).

How about you? :biggrin:

Question #2 What have you been stocking up on lately?

Today I bought assorted fruits and vegetables, some bread, bagels and spaghettini on sale and a bag of rolled oats.
The Untold Doctor Who

As Wide as the Infinite Sky

:sssmob:

Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish! What's a StitchInTime?
It is a wrinkle, a glitch, a hitch, an irrepressible hangnail in the fabric of space-time that can't be clipped.
- S.C.L. Eiler

When the moose shows up on your doorstep, we'll know that all is lost. - wombat (June 11, 2007)

Brigadier: You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets. (Robot)

Sarah Jane (about the Fourth Doctor): He sometimes talks to himself, mostly because he's the only person who knows what he's talking about. (The Ark in Space)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bonnie
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Today, I bought watermelon, zucchinni, ice cream and cones. I also bought flowers for the table.

I don't generally stock up too much on canned food as I don't eat very many canned goods anymore. I do go to Wegman's and stock up a little bit for each month, mostly frozen foods. I go to the little store nearby to pick up a few items on occasion.

I do buy crackers, pepperoni and cheese in larger amounts as they are a much better snack than chips and cookies.

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
:clap: to the healthier food choices and as I said I do my best to stick to those as well. I definitely can't afford to gain weight, as aside from the prohibitive price of junk food and the potential health care costs, I'd have to buy new clothes as well! :thud:

I'm well stocked with canned goods already, mostly soup, which I enjoy on cold days in the wintertime or anytime when I cannot get out to the store for whatever reason, as well as beans, a supply of which I keep for emergencies (power failures, etc.) because you can eat them right out of the can and when combined with powdered or liquid milk, bread and cheese and spices make up what I call my, "power failure special." :biggrin:

I also have some beef stew, which I have eaten out of the can as a snack, but only buy it when it's deeply discounted as it has gotten to be quite expensive. Plus, I have canned sardines, which are packed in water only (no salt) as these make a good snack too and meat is getting so expensive now that I've had to switch to fish. I've already stocked up on frozen fish because there was a lot on sale a while ago but I've found that sardines can be an okay substitute when the frozen gets more expensive.
The Untold Doctor Who

It is a wrinkle, a glitch, a hitch, an irrepressible hangnail in the fabric of space-time that can't be clipped.
- S.C.L. Eiler

When the moose shows up on your doorstep, we'll know that all is lost. - wombat (June 11, 2007)

Brigadier: You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets. (Robot)

Sarah Jane (about the Fourth Doctor): He sometimes talks to himself, mostly because he's the only person who knows what he's talking about. (The Ark in Space)

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Wow, the price of flour has gone sky high, $3 more on the two I usually buy, both going from around $7 to $10. :thud:
I wonder what happened there? :confused:

I must look around and find out. :sherlock:

Ah, here we are. Let's see. It looks like the supply is down here due to bad weather, and there are geopolitical forces in play that are increasing the price, but there are also concerns that, "Russia could dump its excess wheat on the global market either out of fear of future economic santions, or as an overt strategy to lower wheat prices." Meanwhile, "the geopolitical situation in Ukraine is...causing price volatility" (as in increases, apparently) and "this year's cold spring had dampened hopes of another bumper crop [in Canada]... Statistics Canada estimates there will be a reduction of 7.4 per cent in [Canadian] wheat production this year." Apparently there was a lot of grain left over from last year's crop, and I suppose that could account for the big drop in bread and flour prices in the spring, which are now moving back up again, quite a lot, in fact.
http://www.troymedia.com/2014/07/28/wheat-...of-realpolitik/
Accessed, August 14, 2014

Another interesting fact from the same site:
"Canada is one of the largest wheat exporters in the worlds, exporting approximately
70 per cent of the more than 17 million tonnes of wheat, durum and wheat flour we
produce each year."

:beaverhug:

Luckily bread prices are okay for now, but if I were baking bread now, I guess I'd have to go for the 20 lbs. of Atta, which alas is not whole wheat, although it does contain some bran. And I guess that would mean it would have to be soda bread all the way because, if I remember correctly, Atta on its own doesn't taste very good and also tends to stick to the pan a lot when I use it to make flat bread.
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
In view of the continuing coolness, I expect (see weather thread) it was can of beans with bread and cheese at snack time again tonight at chez Stitch. Also, I do have a stockpile of beans that needs to be used up because it expires in 2015, which we are steadily approaching and so this is another reason for eating them now. :stir:
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
And furthermore, :biggrin: in view of said coolness, I went out again and bought some more fruit and vegetables, as well as instant coffee, canned evaporated milk (which I find goes very well with coffee and in black tea and muesli). :stir:
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

bonnie
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Thursday, I bought a salad with chicken, bacon bits and cheese all in one package. I also bought crackers, pepperoni and cheese for snacks.

I think I'm set for the weekend.

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
bonnie,Aug 15 2014
02:51 AM
I think I'm set for the weekend.

Excellent! :biggrin:

As for me, I'm not sure what's on for today, as construction has been waking me up every morning and I gather it'll be going on again tomorrow morning, and so I am getting very tired. Meanwhile, in self-defense I am grinding almonds with my ancient blender (which is so loud that it actually blocks out the construction noises! :wacko: ). It leaks water (so, I guess maybe I should have bought one last year when they were on sale, although I was not sure that I needed one at that point and wasn't sure I liked the ones that were on sale, which was probably the reason they were on sale! :wacko:) but I have discovered that it is quite good for grinding up dry ingredients.

My reason for doing this is twofold. One, almond prices are up and I found that I could get 3 tablespoons of powdered out of 1 tablespoon whole and that this goes quite well with mueli, which is what I was using it for. Secondly, it's delicious! :biggrin: Oh, and thirdly, I subsequently found that if I then added 1 tablespoon of shelled unsalted sunflower seeds (which are a lot cheaper) that this too was delicious. Moral: sometimes cheaper is better (or at least it tastes that way). :biggrin:

Since flour prices have gone up, oatmeal is now cheaper than organic whole wheat flour and I just remembered that in my bread recipe last time I used oatmeal and it worked quite well. Later, I may try grinding it up and making oat flour and possibly using that as a substitute.

Pasta prices are also down and I've also found that I can grind that into duram flour! :imfao: Mind you, I think buying durum would likely be cheaper anyway. :imfao: But really I just ground it for fun to see what would happen and find it a bit easier to add it to the stew as a thickener if I need it, although being pasta, it does have a tendency to get sticky. I suppose I could use durum flour for that too but the pasta has the advantage of having a longer shelf life.
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
I just decided to look up durum wheat and was surprised to discover that it is in fact used in bread making, but generally only in combination with other types of flour as it rises poorly on its own. And that is good news as, if I remember correctly, I can buy that at a good price (although I have to confirm that by checking at the store). What I read says that it tends to be mixed with white flour that is suitable for bread making. So that could be something else worth trying, as I did see some all purpose flour that might be suitable for this purpose and might be within my price range.

If anyone has tried that, I'd appreciate your feedback, if not, if I do try it I will share the results. :biggrin:

Edit: I am reading all sorts of interesting commentary about oats as well and so this could give me plenty of options to explore.
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

bonnie
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Good luck with the durum! Yes, please do share your findings with this flour.

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Thanks, Bonnie. I will. :grin:

I also wondered about using a coffee grinder instead of a blender but looking at reviews on the subject, it looks like the lower end ones work in a similar way to blenders and so maybe a new blender, which would be able to do more would be just as good. What do you think? Does anyone have more information on or experience with this?
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

bonnie
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
I don't have much experience with blenders and virtually no experience in coffee grinders. I don't drink coffee so I don't know if it would work as well as a blender.

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
This evening's craving (so far) is for sunflower seeds and I've just had a few tablespoons. :biggrin:

I never did get out today, but with all the construction noise going on I did have the opportunity to grind up a small bag of almonds for my homemade breakfast cereal (muesli).

My latest muesli recipe?

Note: T=tablespoon; t=teaspoon

5 T of rolled oats
1 T of powdered almond
1 T of shelled unsalted sunflower seeds
1 T of red bran
1 t of raisins (mostly as extra sweetener)
1 t of fresh ginger, minced
1/2 cup of apple, diced
1 T of condensed evaporated milk
& water to one inch below the rim of the container (which holds about 2 cups)

Mix dry ingredients and fruit together well in a container that can be well sealed and then add milk and water. Cover and refrigerate for at least twelve hours (although I usually do it for 24 as I make it up right after breakfast for the next breakfast, but twelve hours is enough, apparently to remove harmful substances from the oats-can't remember what though-through the acidity of the fruit and of the lactic acid in the milk. The same can be achieved by cooking the oats, apparently, although some is already removed during the rolling process as the oats are actually steamed at that stage.). Serves one.

Next morning, remove from refrigerator, serve and enjoy. :biggrin:

Feel free to share your favourite recipes. :stir:
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Well, I've just polished off another can of beans and some bread and cheese and I think that's filled up all the corners. :cloudnine: So now I guess it's time for :toothbrush: and soon :countsheep:

:biggrin:
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

bonnie
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
I ate French fries (small serving) and a navel orange for brunch today. I don't know what I am going to do for supper.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Place For Anything Else · Next Topic »
Add Reply