Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to WhoOnEarthISTomBaker?. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wowsers!--next Doctor!; Jodie Whittaker becomes 13th
Topic Started: Jul 17 2017, 03:48 AM (121 Views)
StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker becomes 13th Time Lord...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/07/16/d...d-regeneration/

I can't believe they did it, they did it, they did it!!! :blink:

And I don't have TV anymore nor broadband neither. RATS!!! :tribble3:

From Colin Baker:
"Well I never the BBC really did do the right thing and let the Doctor be in touch with her feminine side. As a father of daughters - result!"
— Colin Baker (@SawbonesHex) July 16, 2017

"Change my dears and not a moment too soon - she IS the Doctor whether you like it or not!"
— Colin Baker (@SawbonesHex) July 16, 2017

Quote:

Capaldi praised his successor, saying: "Anyone who has seen Jodie Whittaker's work will know that she is a wonderful actress of great individuality and charm. She has above all the huge heart to play this most special part. She's going to be a fantastic Doctor."

The Doctor Who screen writer Mark Gatiss the appointment marked a “new dawn”, while Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon received the news by writing on Twitter “Welcome, madam”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/07/16/d...d-regeneration/

Quote:

Hundreds of thousands of people around the world joined the debate about the news that Jodie Whittaker is to star as the first female Time Lord.

The social reaction was as varied as the hashtags used to share them which included Doctor Who, Dr Who, #doctor13 and #jodiewhittaker.

While some people talked about the great role model the new Doctor would be for girls and women, others wondered why it had taken so long and some were firmly in the camp that the Doctor was only ever meant to be male.

One user applauded the move saying; "The lack of women, and lead women, in sci fi is embarrassing. Doctor Who just made a step in the right direction".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40626224

Quote:

Chris Chibnall, New Head Writer and Executive Producer, says : “After months of lists, conversations, auditions, recalls, and a lot of secret-keeping, we’re excited to welcome Jodie Whittaker as the Thirteenth Doctor.

Chibnall said the 13th Doctor was always going to be a woman.

He said: "I always knew I wanted the 13th Doctor to be a woman and we're thrilled to have secured our number one choice.

"Her audition for the Doctor simply blew us all away. Jodie is an in-demand, funny, inspiring, super-smart force of nature and will bring loads of wit, strength and warmth to the role. The 13th Doctor is on her way."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

They sure kept it quiet.

Quote:

Former companions Billie Piper and Karen Gillan had called for a female Time Lord, while Doctor Who and Sherlock writer Mark Gatiss said it was the perfect time for a woman to take the lead role.

After the announcement, Piper tweeted the word: "YES" with a red rose emoji, while fellow former companion Freema Agyeman tweeted: "Change isn't a dirty word!!!!"

'It's about time'

Dedicated Whovians were quick to react to the news of Jodie Whittaker taking over the Tardis.

On social media, some said it would encourage them to watch the show for the first time - but others said the casting meant they would be switching off, and that the Doctor should be played by a man.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

And here is a Q&A interview with Jodie:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnew...-new-doctor-who

I like these ones:
Quote:

2. Why did you want the role?
To be asked to play the ultimate character, to get to play pretend in the truest form: this is why I wanted to be an actor in the first place. To be able to play someone who is literally reinvented on screen, with all the freedoms that brings - what an unbelievable opportunity. And added to that, to be the first woman in that role.

10. Did he persuade you?
No. There was no persuasion needed. If you need to be persuaded to do this part, you’re not right for this part, and the part isn’t right for you. I also think, for anyone taking this on, you have to want to fight for it, which I certainly had to do. I know there will have been some phenomenal actors who threw their hats in the ring.

11. What are you going to wear?
I don’t know yet.

12. Is that your costume in the filmed sequence which introduced you as the new Doctor?
No.

13. Have any of the other Doctors given you advice?
Well they can’t because they haven’t known until now, but I’m certainly expecting a couple of calls - I’ve got a couple of mates in there. I’m mates with a companion [Arthur Darvill], I’m mates with a trio of Doctors. I know Matt Smith, Chris Eccleston and obviously David Tennant. Oh! And let’s throw in David Bradley! Four Doctors! So I’m hoping I get some calls of advice.
The Untold Doctor Who

As Wide as the Infinite Sky

:sssmob:

Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish! What's a StitchInTime?
It is a wrinkle, a glitch, a hitch, an irrepressible hangnail in the fabric of space-time that can't be clipped.
- S.C.L. Eiler

When the moose shows up on your doorstep, we'll know that all is lost. - wombat (June 11, 2007)

Brigadier: You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets. (Robot)

Sarah Jane (about the Fourth Doctor): He sometimes talks to himself, mostly because he's the only person who knows what he's talking about. (The Ark in Space)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hypatia
Member Avatar
Heart_Of_TOM
There's quite a bit of backlash on some sites, and a lot of fans are acting like this is something new. I remember the speculation back in the mid-'80s about a female Doctor - people were honestly expecting the next Doctor after Colin Baker to be female.

I didn't watch any of the last season. The whole combination of Clara the Mary Sue Character Who Just Would Not Go Away Even When Dead, plus the awful writing, made me just stop watching. There are places online where I could have seen it for free, but I just didn't bother.

This new Doctor's episodes won't be airing until at least Christmas this year. I'll think about subscribing to Space to see if the show has improved. With a new Doctor, new companions, and new writers, it will hopefully not be any worse.

Stitch, can your computer handle DailyMotion videos? If so, I know where you could probably watch the show, although it's on a forum I'm no longer active on (had a major falling-out with the admin there). The episodes are posted every week and I think they're viewable for 7 days. You wouldn't need to join the forum (and honestly I wouldn't advise it; it's not really that friendly a place, which is why I stopped going there). Let me know if you want to try this and I'll PM you the address.
Posted ImageWho can say where the road goes, where the day flows -- only time ~ Enya

[align=center]Posted Image "This is another fine forum you've landed us in, Doctor!"[/align]

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
For every one person I've read who has said they are dumping the show because of this new development, I have read of one person who loves it and another person who has never watched the show who now plans to watch it; so, if the material is any good it could trigger a Who renaissance.

As for the other I still only have dialup Internet; so I am not sure whether that would help, but maybe I can watch it from somewhere else. I have never heard of DailyMotion and so I have no idea if I can watch that on this computer or not, but if you send me the information perhaps I can find out or find out if I can watch it from elsewhere. (If they are viewable for seven days though, I expect I have already lost the thread.)

Thanks. :grin:
The Untold Doctor Who

It is a wrinkle, a glitch, a hitch, an irrepressible hangnail in the fabric of space-time that can't be clipped.
- S.C.L. Eiler

When the moose shows up on your doorstep, we'll know that all is lost. - wombat (June 11, 2007)

Brigadier: You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets. (Robot)

Sarah Jane (about the Fourth Doctor): He sometimes talks to himself, mostly because he's the only person who knows what he's talking about. (The Ark in Space)

Hypatia
Member Avatar
Heart_Of_TOM
DailyMotion is a British site that's similar to YouTube.

I'm currently using a refurbished Windows XP computer (the 8.1 needs fixing AGAIN and I'm too scared to hook up the Windows 10 I bought a few months ago).

I can watch YouTube videos on this, although it's choppy and the video freezes at the 23:18 mark (I have no idea why).

What operating system and browser do you use?
Posted ImageWho can say where the road goes, where the day flows -- only time ~ Enya

[align=center]Posted Image "This is another fine forum you've landed us in, Doctor!"[/align]

Gold Usher
Soul_Of_TOM
There have been hints for a while about a change coming....

Doc 11 thought he was a girl for a moment during regeneration.
Doc 12 was certainly moody enough to qualify now and then.

But of course with the Missy/Master combo that showed it was totally possible and be in the same time stream at the same time a la Two Doctors, Five Doctors etc. specials.

Don't know how that's going to change the Companion dynamic but should be interesting.

The people who probably will be the most upset will be the guy cosplayers. For years we had girls dressed up as the Doctor (FemDocs) but now we get to see how well the guys will be at dressing as Doc 13. I wonder what they will be called. :imfao: :confused: :pfight:
"We joked that in the future, when you were born you would be assigned a telephone number and if you didn't answer the phone, you were dead"

Martin Cooper-inventor of the mobile phone

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Hypatia,Jul 19 2017
12:07 AM

I'm currently using a refurbished Windows XP computer (the 8.1 needs fixing AGAIN and I'm too scared to hook up the Windows 10 I bought a few months ago).

I can watch YouTube videos on this, although it's choppy and the video freezes at the 23:18 mark (I have no idea why).

As I said above, I won't be watching from here as I have dialup with which you can't watch anything. Hence it will certainly be XP or higher or Linux, which is what I will likely be migrating too eventually as I'm not even planning on going to 10. You can add Linux to Windows without doing a reinstall, which is pretty neat and then have a dual boot machine with a completely up-to-date and secure Linux, even on a fairly old machine.

As for the cosplay: I'm sure the guys will get over it. :wink: As for a name, how about Docthers or SheDocs? :wink:
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

Hypatia
Member Avatar
Heart_Of_TOM
Gold Usher,Jul 25 2017
08:39 AM
The people who probably will be the most upset will be the guy cosplayers. For years we had girls dressed up as the Doctor (FemDocs) but now we get to see how well the guys will be at dressing as Doc 13. I wonder what they will be called. :imfao: :confused: :pfight:

Traditional-ShakespearianDocs (centuries ago when Shakespeare plays were first performed it was considered immoral for women to appear on stage, so men played the female roles).

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
StitchInTime,Jul 26 2017
07:29 PM
Hypatia,Jul 19 2017
12:07 AM

As I said above, I won't be watching from here as I have dialup with which you can't watch anything. Hence it will certainly be XP or higher or Linux...

So, when can I expect further information on this?

Thanks. :grin:
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

Gold Usher
Soul_Of_TOM
Very true about women on stage. Boys got the parts until their voices cracked. Any woman on stage was considered immoral and loose. Actors weren't always favored back then compared to now.

I've heard the cosplay girls called 'FemDocs' and some do convincingly.

I am curious to see how she will be written, as I'm sure the rest of the Who fans. I see there is talk of a male companion about her age which may or may not be true. I don't think you want a 'mother hen' in the TARDIS with younger people but dont' want a guy 'taking charge' either. It's going to be a fine line and everyone will be watching.
"We joked that in the future, when you were born you would be assigned a telephone number and if you didn't answer the phone, you were dead"

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
The latest rumour I have heard is that, Bradley Walsh, is being considered for the companion part. At age 57, he is older than she is (35). Hmm, attractive, athletic older man with younger woman (relatively speaking.) Perhaps things have changed less than we thought. :wink: But BBC and he have denied it. Then again, we were told there was never going to be a female Doctor either; so,...dare I say, who knows? :biggrin:
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

Gold Usher
Soul_Of_TOM
Waiting patiently for Christmas Day to see how the first FEMALE Doctor behaves. Since it's been announced it still seems to be a split decision if to give her a chance. I'm game for a try but most viewers seem to be on the fence. Just like they are with any other regeneration.

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Well, alas, I did not even get to see Capaldi's last season, but do keep us posted. :biggrin:
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

Hypatia
Member Avatar
Heart_Of_TOM
Capaldi's final season was rebroadcast on the Space Channel on Christmas Day, prior to the Christmas special.

The new Doctor was only in it for a couple of minutes at most. I don't think the TARDIS likes her...

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
So, like I said, I don't have access to it, but thank you for the update.

As for the TARDIS' reaction, yes, well, I don't suppose he/she asked the TARDIS for her opinion on the matter. :wink:
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

Gold Usher
Soul_Of_TOM
If that's the best clothing (what they've announced as her outfit) I would agree the TARDIS was offering an opinion in the wardrobe room. I've seen the designers have tried to give a nod to just about every Doctor via a tidbit but it's coming across more as Mork's daily dress. Though she looks pretty good in Capaldi's (Pertwee's) jacket.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Discuss Anything Dr Who · Next Topic »
Add Reply