Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to WhoOnEarthISTomBaker?. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Forum Conversion - Read This!
Topic Started: Nov 15 2017, 08:29 AM (108 Views)
Hypatia
Member Avatar
Heart_Of_TOM
Hi all,

If you log in and everything looks nothing like how it was, that's because we are migrating (no, not south; we're migrating to a different type of forum). This started as an InvisionFree forum, but because that kind of forum is no longer being supported by the hosting company (it's old, dating back to 2003), all InvisionFree forums are being migrated to a newer, more modern type of forum that will look completely different.

The upside is that some things will work better. There will be features we didn't have before.

The downside is that nothing will look like it did. We had a choice of forum types: ZetaBoards and Tapatalk. Since PA did not contact me about this and hasn't been around lately, I have opted for ZetaBoards (hopefully in time, as I didn't know this was going to happen). I've worked with that type of forum before and already belong to the support forum for that. It's going to take time to fix this place after the migration, because all the Doctor Who touches PA and I did over the years will be zapped. Gone. They'll have to be redone.

The good news is that the posts will still be here. The smileys won't be, so bear with me because it will take a long time to reinstall them (I didn't realize how many we had).

I do not know if anyone will have trouble logging in afterward. So I don't lose contact with anyone, feel free to email me at krschwana(at)gmail(dot)com with any questions or concerns. Mention the forum or my username (Hypatia) in the subject line so I know it's about our forum.

And if anyone is in contact with Pattie-anne, please tell her I need to talk to her ASAP, and give her my email. I have already tried to contact her and had no reply.
Posted ImageWho can say where the road goes, where the day flows -- only time ~ Enya

[align=center]Posted Image "This is another fine forum you've landed us in, Doctor!"[/align]
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
(*Whistles*) WOW!
The Untold Doctor Who

As Wide as the Infinite Sky

:sssmob:

Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish! What's a StitchInTime?
It is a wrinkle, a glitch, a hitch, an irrepressible hangnail in the fabric of space-time that can't be clipped.
- S.C.L. Eiler

When the moose shows up on your doorstep, we'll know that all is lost. - wombat (June 11, 2007)

Brigadier: You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets. (Robot)

Sarah Jane (about the Fourth Doctor): He sometimes talks to himself, mostly because he's the only person who knows what he's talking about. (The Ark in Space)

Hypatia
Member Avatar
Heart_Of_TOM
Stitch, save all the pictures you want to keep, that haven't been zapped due to Photobucket. I hope all the pictures will migrate over, but I don't know for sure. The basic posts will migrate okay, though there might be some broken links for images.

The smileys will be GONE. ZetaBoard's smileys are godawful hideous, so I downloaded our entire batch of smileys (took several hours) and hopefully I'll be able to restore them later (am using a Windows 10 computer and flying by the seat of my pants right now).

Save your avatar, since I don't think ZetaBoards has the same avatar gallery we have here.

I might just ask them to switch to ZetaBoards soon anyway, to make sure we don't end up on a Tapatalk forum.

I have not heard anything from PA regarding this. Not one word. So if anyone knows how to contact her, please tell me. I've tried emails and PMs and she's not replying.

Make sure you know your password, because the ZB forum doesn't do password recovery the same way this one does.

Pass this along to any members you're in touch with.

I do not know when this is going to happen. The last time I migrated from an InvisionFree forum to ZetaBoards it happened in minutes.

I really don't like this. This forum has been a cozy little Fourth Doctor haven for us, and while it won't disappear, it will look different. I can't promise to restore it to what it looks like now, but I will do my best.
Posted ImageWho can say where the road goes, where the day flows -- only time ~ Enya

[align=center]Posted Image "This is another fine forum you've landed us in, Doctor!"[/align]

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Hypatia,Nov 16 2017
07:47 PM
I do not know when this is going to happen. The last time I migrated from an InvisionFree forum to ZetaBoards it happened in minutes.

Well, it hasn't happened yet... :unsure:

Hypatia,Nov 16 2017
I really don't like this.

I don't either and I doubt anyone does, but that's progress for you. (*Eyes roll*)

Hypatia,Nov 16 2017
I can't promise to restore it to what it looks like now, but I will do my best.

Fingers crossed.
The Untold Doctor Who

It is a wrinkle, a glitch, a hitch, an irrepressible hangnail in the fabric of space-time that can't be clipped.
- S.C.L. Eiler

When the moose shows up on your doorstep, we'll know that all is lost. - wombat (June 11, 2007)

Brigadier: You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets. (Robot)

Sarah Jane (about the Fourth Doctor): He sometimes talks to himself, mostly because he's the only person who knows what he's talking about. (The Ark in Space)

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Or, if we only had our own server maybe we could do this:
http://www.simplemachines.org/

I know, I know, pie in the sky, but one can always dream and there are or soon may be cloud servers out there somewhere where such things are possible.
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
And oh my, there is quite a list here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_forums

And a search reveals this one, for instance, although I don't know how good it is.
https://www.proboards.com/

But I guess we could look into that later and we need to do something now, I suppose.
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

Hypatia
Member Avatar
Heart_Of_TOM
The gaming forum I belong to, Dragonloft, migrated to Tapatalk, and it's just a shell of what it was. It's geared for phones, not computers, and ALL our smileys are gone.

I can't even install any, because that software doesn't seem to allow it. Basically, that forum is ruined.

I don't want it to happen here, so I asked for a deferral and then a migration to ZetaBoards. It will still mean we lose the customization we had here, but at least there it's possible to restore some of it.

I'll look into ProBoards; those are nice forums, though I haven't worked with them.

Jcink might be a possibility too, and it's just like InvisionFree but better supported.

Simple Machines is a pain; I found that out a year and a half ago, when trying to help someone install new skins on his.

Do you have any idea at all how to contact PA? Have you seen here anywhere at all? This forum belongs to her, and it should be her decision. I don't understand why she hasn't been around.

That said, if she doesn't turn up soon, I'm going to have to make a decision, and hope that it sits well with people.

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Thank you so much for looking into all that! :dochat:

As for PA, I'm sorry but I have no idea. In recent years when I have emailed her she has not responded; so, I don't know what is happening there. To be honest, with my dialup connection I don't get around much anymore; so naturally I too am concerned about the switching, lest the site become inaccessible. Even here is a bit awkward at times. The best place I've seen is the other one I frequent but unfortunately it is not free, well, that is unless they have an ad based version, which I don't know.

I just looked at proboards and jcink and jcink's site works better for me it seems, which I suppose makes sense given you were saying it's could be similar. And, oh, I can get to their support forum all right too, but I haven't yet found any links to examples of other people's forums using these folks, have you?
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Okay, found some, and oh my gosh, it's wall-to-wall ads from the host and I have to stop the page loading to be able to see it. Eek.

Edit: Now zetaboards is familiar and I have browsed through there before. I just checked again and I think I like that a whole lot better. In fact, I seem to recall thinking of starting one myself based on that experience.

Edit2
As I keep looking through their list of forums, I'm thinking, 'yes, yes!' so far, so good; so, for now I would vote for them.

Edit3
Here is a nice one, although of course with a completely different colour scheme (not one we would likely use), but the layout and features don't look too bad.
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Torchwood_Inverness/index/
And here is another DW one and with more blue in it.:
http://s7.zetaboards.com/The_Web_of_Time/index/
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

Hypatia
Member Avatar
Heart_Of_TOM
StitchInTime,Nov 22 2017
12:01 PM
Okay, found some, and oh my gosh, it's wall-to-wall ads from the host and I have to stop the page loading to be able to see it. Eek.

Edit: Now zetaboards is familiar and I have browsed through there before. I just checked again and I think I like that a whole lot better. In fact, I seem to recall thinking of starting one myself based on that experience.

Edit2
As I keep looking through their list of forums, I'm thinking, 'yes, yes!' so far, so good; so, for now I would vote for them.

Edit3
Here is a nice one, although of course with a completely different colour scheme (not one we would likely use), but the layout and features don't look too bad.
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Torchwood_Inverness/index/
And here is another DW one and with more blue in it.:
http://s7.zetaboards.com/The_Web_of_Time/index/

Is it Proboards or Jcink that gives you the problem?

There are pros and cons to ZetaBoards.

Pros: I have a couple of ZB forums so I'm familiar with them and I'm already a member of the support forum (in fact I was one of the beta testers, but they didn't listen to my recommendations about some things). I have a friend on staff there who I met years ago, and she's always been willing to offer advice.

Cons: ZB is a royal pain to skin, and I honestly don't know how well I could restore what we have here. For some reason they opted not to make a skinning template, like InvisionFree did (just plug in the links to the icons and backgrounds you want to use, look at the preview, adjust to your liking, and voila, you have a new skin).

NooOOOooo, they said they wanted people to actually learn and suffer through the whole process, wouldn't want it to be TOO easy! Of course the hope is that people will just give up and pay someone to make a custom skin.

Jcink has pros and cons as well:

Pros: It's basically just like InvisionFree, and I've got another forum in development there. Making it look like this place wouldn't be too hard; it would just take time.

Cons: Someone has to log in every 30 days, and they monitor how often I log into the Admin Control Panel.

I think, however, that overall ZetaBoards would be the better decision, since they do the migration for us, and there's no costs to it. I don't know if the migration would break any links to PA's website, but at this point there's really nothing I can do about that anyway.

As mentioned, I'm going to have to make a decision soon on this. I don't want to make any decision that would mean you'd have too much trouble accessing it.

Those two forums you linked... yikes. The first one is very... grey, isn't it? The second is using the ZetaBoards default skin, and probably are using the default smileys, which are a hideous shade of blue and not anywhere near as cute as the ones we've got here.

StitchInTime
Member Avatar
Soul_Of_TOM
Hypatia,Nov 23 2017
05:38 AM
Is it Proboards or Jcink that gives you the problem?

Both.

To recap, what I said was:

StitchInTime,Nov 22 2017
01:39 PM
I just looked at proboards and jcink and jcink's site works better for me it seems...

but then when I looked up actual examples of jcink forums I found:

StitchInTime,Nov 22 2017
02:01 PM
...oh my gosh, it's wall-to-wall ads from the host and I have to stop the page loading to be able to see it.  Eek.

Edit: Now zetaboards is familiar and I have browsed through there before.  I just checked again and I think I like that a whole lot better.  In fact, I seem to recall thinking of starting one myself based on that experience.

Edit2
As I keep looking through their list of forums, I'm thinking, 'yes, yes!'  so far, so good; so, for now I would vote for them.

Hypatia,Nov 23 2017
05:38 AM
Those two forums you linked... yikes. The first one is very... grey, isn't it? The second is using the ZetaBoards default skin, and probably are using the default smileys, which are a hideous shade of blue and not anywhere near as cute as the ones we've got here.

As for the zetaboards examples I gave, I did say that the colour schemes I saw were not ones I thought we would likely want to use but the layout and features did not look to bad from here and accessibility did not seem to a problem, although of course I haven't used one yet. So, I certainly wasn't expecting you to copy them, but I was able to get there and move around within them okay.

So, to summarize, neither proboards nor jcink look too good for me and I would tend to go with zetaboards for ease of access and use, at least at the user end of things, so far as I can tell.
The Untold Doctor Who

- S.C.L. Eiler

Gold Usher
Soul_Of_TOM
Hypatia, hope you don't mind but I did post your opening message on the Book of Face (not the Face of Boe) so at least if Wombat or PolarBear or any other members see it, they'll be aware.
"We joked that in the future, when you were born you would be assigned a telephone number and if you didn't answer the phone, you were dead"

Martin Cooper-inventor of the mobile phone

Hypatia
Member Avatar
Heart_Of_TOM
What is the Book of Face? :unsure:

Polarbear
Member Avatar
Heart_Of_TOM
Hypatia,Dec 22 2017
10:48 PM
What is the Book of Face? :unsure:

In case that wasn't sarcasm...The Book of Faces, of which GU spoke, is a silly little social media site which lets people say all sorts of things they'd never say in public...or stay connected when the Gypsy Camp here goes quiet from time to time. 😉
[align=center]
Posted Image

"What's the use of a good quotation if you can't change it?"

"I have no doubt that you could augment an earwig to the point where it could understand nuclear physics, but it would still be a very stupid thing to do!"

"When in doubt mumble. When unknown delegate."
[/align]

Gold Usher
Soul_Of_TOM
Facebook is a dangerous place. People do get carried away with their fingers and if not careful half the Earth can see it all and plot accordingly. Not like the friendly haven here with watchful Angels. Now don't go blinking on me. ;)
"We joked that in the future, when you were born you would be assigned a telephone number and if you didn't answer the phone, you were dead"

Martin Cooper-inventor of the mobile phone

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Forum Business · Next Topic »
Add Reply