Quebec Wind

Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Accés Au Sbx - Cross Post
Topic Started: Oct 4 2012, 07:15 PM (7,728 Views)
bloke
Default Avatar
Membre expert QW
[ *  *  * ]
Un message sur OTTAWAWS de Steve Slaby qui a parlé au surintendent de SBX.
--------------------------------
Sandbanks Park Access Challenges
Posted Par: ottawaws ottawaws Offline Send Email
Wed Oct 3, 2012 10:47 pm |

Wow, 2012 will have to go down in the books as the year of access issues. Sandbanks is closing the gates earlier this year which could impact those of you who drive down for big wind and big waves. For those of you who are interested in and/or regularly enjoy sailing at Sandbanks, here's a brief on the situation along with a request for input on proposed solutions that will be discussed with the Superintendant of the park.

Background
As I’m sure you’ve all read in the papers the Ontario government is trying to deal with their nearly $15 BILLION deficit (not debt). As a result, the government is implementing cuts to Ontario parks by eliminating camping at 10 parks, and cutting 130 fulltime and seasonal positions.

If you want more details, here are some articles:

http://www.therecord.com/news/canada/artic...-parks-in-north

http://news.ontario.ca/mnr/en/2012/09/natu...ation-plan.html

With respect to Sandbanks, it seems that they might be a victim of their own success. Visits are up this year (800,000? Unconfirmed) which has resulted in increased maintenance costs. Adding to that, my understanding is that there is a cost-sharing funding model in place where revenues from each park are pooled at the provincial level to ensure all provincial parks get funds for basic maintenance for their facility and it sounds like top performers like Sandbanks are Aideing prop up the under-performing parks at the expense of not having enough funds themselves in some cases. Based on a comment from the superintendant, I don’t think the funding model isn't likely to change (““Some parks make money (like us) but most don’t. From a conservation perspective this sharing makes sense.” ).

Current situation

To date, there has been no specific date mentioned by the superintendant about exactly when the main gate to Outlet will close at this point other than some time after Thanksgiving, but the gate to the camping side of Outlet will definitely be closed on October 8th (the official closing date of the park for camping) and the gate to Richardson (Sandbanks) beach is already closed. To date they have not had any job losses at Sandbanks, but they are having to cut back. Of course, closing the gates in off-season once the park is officially closed is the key point that affects us, but there are others, such as not putting up all the snow fences they usually do.
West Point has been closed all year, but that may or may not be related to budget cuts.

Looking forward
The one positive statement that I’d like to read with rose-colored glasses included in the sad announcement of job cuts and downgrading of parks is this modernization objective in their announcement:
“Focusing service at Ontario's most popular provincial parks and changing the designation at 10 provincial parks with very low visitation rates”
By downgrading 10 parks, this could possibly free up additional funds to ensure Sandbanks can properly maintain their facility and not have to cut back on services. In an ideal situation, this could fix the access issue by next season!

Given this, there’s absolutely no point in giving Sandbanks Park a hard time on this issue this fall since their funding is strictly controlled by the province so their hands are tied. I’ll check with them into what kind of costs are involved in keeping Outlet beach (public section) open until lets say the end of November but it would be a huge challenge to try and raise funds in such a short time period. For this fall we’d be much better served by seeing what we can work out directly with the Superintendant.

Proposals

In order to get properly prepared for a productive discussion with the Superintendant, there is a need for a set of proposals from a “visitor from away” perspective (kitesurfers & windsurfers from Ottawa, Gatineau, Kingston, etc.) who drive significant distances and camp at Sandbanks. I’ve been getting feedback offline from a few people who frequently go to Sandbanks and here are some suggestions (in order of preference) that have been mentioned:

Top of the list (of course) is the number one goal of the discussion. All others won't even be discussed unless #1 is a complete no-go due to budget issues.

1) Keep the main gate to Outlet beach open until November 30th (I’m probably one of the very few who would go later than that so no point). Could involve fundraising to Aide the park with budget issues.

2) Close the main gate, but open up the gate for specific dates based on the wind forecast. This would be interesting to manage, but the Steeve Mallet, who is organizing a windsurfing competition this fall at Sandbanks has already received permission to open the gate for that date (http://nordroi.blogspot.ca/). Park staff initially said this would be a one-time deal, but it’s a good option to explore.
3) Modified access to Outlet Beach from outside the locked gates. This one actually came from the superintendant who mentioned widening an access point that would result in a 100 meter walk to the beach. I’ll be clarifying with the Superintendant exactly where this will be and the logistics (parking, etc) but the fact that he proposed taking on additional work to Aide meet our needs this tells me he is interested in working with the communities.
4) Organize additional competitions and ask for permission for the gates to be open for those dates. Dates will be determined based on a big wind forecast (just like the Steeve's competition).
Besides access a few other suggestions were made where we could be Aideing the park and give back to SBX so that there is VALUE in keeping access for us. Some ideas:

- Perhaps sailors/kiters would do a beach clean-up. Is there perceived value in this?
- Perhaps sailors/kiters could volunteer to Aide erect the sand-fences.
- Perhaps sailors/kiters could get together and install a remote weather station (strategically placed at West Pt of course) and donate the data to SBX.
Getting involved with the Friends of Sandbanks (http://www.friendsofsandbanks.org/) is another possibility and is something the park will see as a plus (“Certainly some of our park programs are enhanced through the volunteer efforts of the Friends of Sandbanks, so there are options for groups to assist.”).

For those of you interested in Aideing out, could you provide me with your:

1) Suggestions to discuss for late fall access to Outlet (other than those listed above)

2) Suggestions on how we could Aide the park in some way (ex. Beach cleanup, support Friends of Sandbanks, etc.)

Assuming there is any interest, and maybe volunteer(s) to write a submission, preparing something to send in to the Ministry of Natural Resources to explain how the budget has impacted our use of the park and ask for sufficient funds to be allocated to Sandbanks park to ensure proper maintenance as well as allow access to at least the public beach might be considered in support of their modernization objective (“Focusing service at Ontario's most popular provincial parks”).
Steve.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hitme
Default Avatar
Superstar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Guys this is serious situation! Their will be no beach access at Sandbanks as of Oct 8th!

There is a new Park Superintendent this year who seems willing to work with us on this. We need your support. Steve has made a wonderful effort here to get guys together and involved in this cause. Please applaud him for his efforts and get involved. Sandbanks is one the best sailing spots in Canada and we can make a difference. As you may remember we had raised money for The Friends of Sandbanks last year, an organization that works closely with the park. They are aware of our situation and are trying to help us. Its not easy to organize a bunch of hobbyist but please make an extra effort here. I have reached out too some local business and hope to gain their support in helping to keep the park open.

We are asking you for your opinions and thoughts on what we can do to help the situation. Please speak up!

Ilan artzy

hitme
Default Avatar
Superstar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Steve you might want to mention to Sandbanks that the Ontario tourism board was heavily promoting Sandbanks as a Windsurfing destination by posting this billboard in Montreal for two months last summer. https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hpho...279345041_n.jpg
Now they are shutting the gates. :-(.

The reason I won this contest was simply because I run www.facebook.com/canadianwindsurfing and www.facebook.com/windsurfdaily. I started the Canadian site in order to gather support for the Air Canada petition I started. The site was put together with intention of banding Canadian windsurfers together for situations exactly like this.

Steve, some guys form Ontario and a few of the guys who frequent Sandbanks more often are all in discussions already on this and trying to organize how to get more involved. Hopefully we will have some more organized posts for you soon. In the meantime please share your thoughts.

hitme
Default Avatar
Superstar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.windsurfcanada.com/phpbb3/viewt....php?f=1&t=1992

littledude
Member Avatar
Superstar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
excellent travail les boys , i'm with you all the way .

Amine.
I'd rather be windsurfing
Posted Image

Tom
Member Avatar
Superstar++
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Salut à tous,

Nous travaillons très fort actuellement pour regagner l'accès au parc provincial de Sandbanks en Ontario. Comme plusieurs d'entres vous le savez, le parc est officiellement fermé pour la saison (depuis le 9 octobre 2012). Comme la clôture d'entrée est barricadée, ca devient impossible d'aller "launcher" a partir de la plage.

Naturellement pour tous ceux qui veulent profiter de la meilleure saison la-bas c'est desastreux. Donc au fur et à mesure que le dossier progresse, nous allons vous tenir au courant. Les demarches initales sont amorcées.

Autre chose, j'aimerais bien passer le message que la passe de la journée (day use pass) de Sandbanks à la gate (quand c'est ouvert) c'est bon pour tout le monde. Ca coute 10.00$. J'ai vu du monde pas le payer samedi le 6 octobre et c'est dommage. Passer par la petite route qui mene vers Macs pour ensuite, revenir profiter du parc provincial...Faut eviter ce genre de geste.

Merci de votre collaboration et compréhension.

Nous allons tous en bénéficier!

Équipe Météo

bloke
Default Avatar
Membre expert QW
[ *  *  * ]
Ça veut dire - pas d'accés demain mercredi 10 oct pour le 25-30 noueds?

Tom
Member Avatar
Superstar++
Gates fermées...
peut-etre tu peux y aller en velo a la radpat...
Équipe Météo

ottawaws
Default Avatar
Membre QW
[ *  * ]
Les gates sont ouverte pour cette semaine et la semaine prochaine pour faire de l'entretien. A ce pointe on ne sait pas quand its seront vraiment fermé (position officielle - parc est fermé).

J'ai parlé avec le superintendant quelques fois et j'ai envoyé un partie du courriel que j'ai ecrit pour confirmer les details.

Une petite group de Ottawa, Montreal, Kingston et Gatineau va programmer un réunion avec le superintendant pour discuter les options.

Merci pour votre support!

Steve

-------------------------------------------------------

Background

As I’m sure you’ve all read in the papers the Ontario government is trying to deal with their nearly $15 BILLION deficit (not debt). (As a very small piece of this broader goal) As a result, the government is implementing cuts to Ontario parks by eliminating camping (more correctly 10 parks that were operational will be closed and presumably gated) at 10 parks, and cutting 130 fulltime and seasonal positions.

If you want more details, here are some articles:

http://www.therecord.com/news/canada/artic...-parks-in-north

http://news.ontario.ca/mnr/en/2012/09/natu...ation-plan.html

With respect to Sandbanks, it seems that they might be a victim of their own success. Visits are up this year (800,000? Is this a good figure?) which has resulted in increased maintenance costs (Better just say that year-over year for the last few years park use has increased….this year we will be somewhere over 600,000) . Adding to that, my understanding is that there is a cost-sharing funding model in place where revenues from each park are pooled at the provincial level to ensure all provincial parks get funds for basic maintenance for their facility and it sounds like top performers like Sandbanks are helping prop up the under-performing parks at the expense of not having enough funds themselves in some cases. This model is unlikely to change as it makes sense from a conservation perspective to ensure that all parks are kept to a certain standard.

Current situation

The main gate will officially be closed shortly after Thanksgiving (as I understand it this has been the practice for about 7 years) and the gate to Richardson (Sandbanks) beach is already closed. To date they have not had any job losses at Sandbanks, but they are having to cut back (This is an over statement……..no one has talked about job losses here and the budget hasn’t been cut……but we are working within a fixed budget despite some rising costs and increased use). Of course, closing the gates in off-season once the park is officially closed is the key point that affects us, but there are others that could have an impact such as not putting up all the snow fences they usually do. West Point has been closed all year, but that may or may not be related to budget cuts (This has nothing to do with budgets, rather we are working to open a two-kilometer lakeshore trail as described in the parks 1993 management plan. We are intending to adapt the old road behind the gate into one segment of a longer a walking trail.)

Looking forward

The one positive statement that I’d like to read with rose-colored glasses included in the sad announcement of job cuts and downgrading of parks is this modernization objective in MNR’s announcement:

“Focusing service at Ontario's most popular provincial parks and changing the designation at 10 provincial parks with very low visitation rates”

By downgrading 10 parks, this could possibly free up additional funds to ensure Sandbanks can properly maintain their facility and not have to cut back on services. In an ideal situation, this could fix the access issue by next season!

Given this, there’s absolutely no point in giving Sandbanks Park a hard time on this issue this fall since their funding is strictly controlled by the province so their hands are tied on this matter (Really, this is part of a world-wide challenge to fund public goods). For this fall we’d be much better served by seeing what we can work out directly with the Superintendant. You can say that I am keen to learn more and consider ideas and am interested in eventually moving to a longer operating season.

Proposals

I’ll be scheduling a meeting with the superintendant to discussion options for access once I’ve gathered suggestions from you on the following questions:

What options can you think of to provide for late fall access to Outlet?
What suggestions can you think of that we could help the park in some way (ex. Beach cleanup, support Friends of Sandbanks, etc.)?

Can you send your suggestions to me by October 12th so that I can compile them into a document for discussion?

Thanks,
Steve

hitme
Default Avatar
Superstar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quick Update!

We are making headway on this. We are receiving great support from the Friends of Sandbanks. We have a proposal going to the super in the next few days but already they are well aware of it and it is looking like moving the gate to allow beach access is one of the proposals being seriously considered :-) We should have more news for you soon...

:copain:

Yvente
Member Avatar
Propulsé par le vent
Merci Ilan :victoire:
Posted Image Posted Image[/url] Posted Image Posted Image

hitme
Default Avatar
Superstar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I had a good meeting with the park super and his assistant to discuss moving the gate. I mentioned we could raise the money to help pay for it or even help install it. They are concerned about off season vandalism but seem to be seriously considering the proposal. Nothing is sure but I did have a good 2 hour meeting and we even drove around discussing all options so I am hopeful.

They are creating a nature trail to walk up to upper macs so that is supper cool and they have widened the trail down to Sandbanks beach from West point so in theory anyone can make that walk.

If the proposal to move the gate is accepted we will be trying to raise money and will organize something with friends of sandbanks that directly supports these types of things and will be hitting everyone up for donations.

We should hear back from the park super in the next few weeks and have an update for everyone. Keep your fingers crossed.

:victoire:

Ilan

Yvente
Member Avatar
Propulsé par le vent
Merci pour tout ton travail Ilan :clap: :victoire:
Posted Image Posted Image[/url] Posted Image Posted Image

hitme
Default Avatar
Superstar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Fantastic news guys!!! Sandbanks late season beach access has been saved!!! We will have to hold true on our promise to raise some funds to pay for the new gate.

We need to raise some money collectively to help support the cost of the new gate. Please read the following letter from our contact at the Friends of Sandbanks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello Ilan,
Wanting to get things started, the Friends of Sandbanks voted putting in a new gate to the Outlet Beach past the current one, to allow easier beach access and more parking.
Our plan was to give the park the best opportunity to get the new gate in place for the 2013 fall season. The park has already started to move on this.
We voted to provide this up-front money on the understanding that the windsurfers would encourage donations to the Friends and even do some fund-raising to cover as much of the cost as possible.
Though we tend to be fair-weather Friends (!)a couple of us could likely be talked into coming out while the wind surfers are at the beach to assist in some form of fund raising. Let's talk about ideas soon.
Please tell your fellow surfers that all donations should have marked on the cheque or in an attached note that this money is to go towards the gate. This way our treasurer can easily track money received.
Please have any cheques made out to Friends of Sandbanks Park and mail them to:
Friends of Sandbanks
PO Box 22007, 97 Main St
Picton, ON K0K 0A0
Hoping this meets with your approval.
Cheers
Penny

:supercontent:

Windsurfer
Member Avatar
Superstar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
hitme,Sep 17 2013
01:02 PM
Fantastic news guys!!! Sandbanks late season beach access has been saved!!! We will have to hold true on our promise to raise some funds to pay for the new gate.

We need to raise $1000 which should be very reasonable collectively. Please read the following letter from our contact at the Friends of Sandbanks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello Ilan,
Wanting to get things started, the Friends of Sandbanks voted $1,000 towards putting in a new gate to the Outlet Beach past the current one, to allow easier beach access and more parking.
Our plan was to give the park the best opportunity to get the new gate in place for the 2013 fall season. The park has already started to move on this.
We voted to provide this up-front money on the understanding that the windsurfers would encourage donations to the Friends and even do some fund-raising to cover as much of the cost as possible.
Though we tend to be fair-weather Friends (!)a couple of us could likely be talked into coming out while the wind surfers are at the beach to assist in some form of fund raising. Let's talk about ideas soon.
Please tell your fellow surfers that all donations should have marked on the cheque or in an attached note that this money is to go towards the gate. This way our treasurer can easily track money received.
Please have any cheques made out to Friends of Sandbanks Park and mail them to:
Friends of Sandbanks
PO Box 22007, 97 Main St
Picton, ON K0K 0A0
Hoping this meets with your approval.
Cheers
Penny

:supercontent:

Une petite suggestion, un compte Paypal? serait plus facile du Brésil... ;)

Bon vent
La bêtise est nettement supérieure à l'intelligence
Car toute l'intelligence du monde ne permettra jamais,
de comprendre la bêtise universelle
Tandis qu'un peu de bêtise suffit amplement
à ne rien comprendre quoi que se soit d'intelligent
Le chat
Posted Image Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · OÙ? · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Image marquee annonceurs

Board Designed by

BigAir