Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Zemalf's Let's Play Forum. This is the official forum and community for Zemalf's Let's Play Videos on YouTube.

You're currently viewing this forum as a guest. You're able to read everything, but as a guest you only have read-only access to the forum. If you join the community by registering, you'll be able to join the discussion without own replies and posts, customize your profile, send personal messages, and vote in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join the community! << Click to register an account!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Age of Decadence; Turn-based, single-player RPG set in a low magic, post-apocalyptic fantasy world inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire
Topic Started: Feb 2 2013, 03:44 AM (407 Views)
Gogy

Did you heard about upcoming indi RPG "Age of decadence"? I think you will like it. Age of decadence here is developers website, you can try out beta. Here is trailer . This game is amazing, it has turn based combat, its hardcore, nonlinear, with real choices and consequences, basically you can finish it without fighting at all. Take a look, would be cool to see your LP of this game in future :)

P.S btw if you are going to try out the beta, try it at least two times with different characters, skills and choices.
Edited by Gogy, Feb 2 2013, 03:48 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Zemalf
Member Avatar
Administrator
Thanks for the tip. After taking a look at their site and reading up on it a bit, I'm interested. Very interested.

Kudos for the developer for free demo/beta this early. Gotta love that.

I also noticed this has been voted to be published in Steam via Greenlight, which tells something about the quality.

I'll try it out and if it's as good as it seems "on paper", this might end up in the long list of games I'd like to LP if only I'd have the time :)

Here's to others as well, embedded...

Trailer:

Download links:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2488.0.html

p.s. Edited the topic title, added description.
Edited by Zemalf, Feb 2 2013, 02:46 PM.

Gogy

So, did you try it out? What's Your Impression?

Zemalf
Member Avatar
Administrator
I tried it a bit, maybe an hour or so. First impression: Not as excited as I was when I read about it.

The camera was a bit clunky, while I kinda liked that I could move and turn it freely, but I would've liked the camera to be fixed. It just works better that way in isometric games. Perhaps there was an option I couldn't find.

The combat was quite brutal (hard), which is a good thing, and I liked how the character didn't heal up (at all) unless I visited the healer or otherwise healed up. But to me it seemed that the defensive stats, dodge and block, didn't do anything, which was very disappointing. The combat seemed like you hit - I hit until other one wins - there's more to the combat I know, but that's how it felt like early on. Perhaps the defensive skills they work on higher levels, but I think they should at least do something (even if it's a block/dodge once in 30 attacks), so it feels worth it to invest in them.

The dialogue was quite disappointing, because there was quite a bit of it, but mostly without any options for the player (apart from saying something to get the next line).

All in all, the game is quite raw. It lacks the polished quality of many other games, and the start of the game and the early plot/story didn't draw me in, so that I would've felt like I must continue playing.

There's potential in the game, but it's quite far from it for me.

Gogy

Well I had a feeling that you will have messed up first impression. You are not the first actually, I felt exactly like you after one hour, and many others did. Still, believe me you are missing a lot. Try starting game as a merchant, max CHA and INT stats and put all your skills into persuasion, trading, streetwise and etiquette maybe. Finish the whole demo, not just quest line with map and house Daratan (thats secondary quest btw) finish the merchant line until you get option "End demo" in conversation. I finished demo like 20 times, and every time I had different ending. I was thrown out of city for killing people in town as a mercenary, I was tortured to death by house Daratan, I was betrayed by thiefs and killed as merchant. I betrayed factions for gold, I betrayed factions for joining other factions and more more more. Just give it at least one try as a merchant. Maybe you will change your mind ;) .
Quote:

to me it seemed that the defensive stats, dodge and block, didn't do anything
If you have high defensive skill opponents are forced to use fast attacks against you. If you dont have defensive skills, you will be killed very fast by power attacks. Anyway the combat is different story, it requires some time to understand it. Definitely not one hour.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Suggestions and Feedback · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Forum Home | Zemalf's YouTube Channel | Zemalf's Twitch.tv Channel