| Welcome to Coltpower. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| Cap cuts and savings | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Jan 29 2014, 01:20 PM (2,494 Views) | |
| cedjss | Feb 21 2014, 01:14 AM Post #121 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Cap went up to 130 million We now have 38 million, cut Satele and Toler and we have 46 million |
![]() |
|
Bent20
|
Feb 21 2014, 10:46 AM Post #122 |
|
Headed to Retirement
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
We can have all the money in the world but we still have to win some bidding wars to get anyone. I doubt Toler is going anywhere, but definitely not until we at least re-sign Davis. Cut Toler, lose Davis and then hope and pray you find some new corners. Doesn't sound like a good plan to me. And as Wells notes here and I've said dozens of times on this board, a ton of the money we have available has to be left open for Luck, Hilton, Allen, others. http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/4108/colts-should-have-about-37-million-in-cap-space Had enough to bring in a few dozen free agents that weren't all that cheap and who never amounted to squat. Not my intent to trash Bill, just trying to point out it's really not that much different than the situation Grigson has been in. You try to make managing the cap and signing free agents sound so simple when it's absolutely not. Edited by Bent20, Feb 21 2014, 10:56 AM.
|
![]() |
|
| errsay | Feb 21 2014, 11:39 AM Post #123 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I think that was exactly MY point. Another thing is, you don't HAVE to cut anyone until a player you covet reaches an agreement to sign. Except for Satele of course, who should have been gone a month ago. And this stuff doesn't need to be public knowledge either. While it ain't easy to do everything you'd like to do all the time, it ain't rocket science either.
Edited by errsay, Feb 21 2014, 11:48 AM.
|
![]() |
|
| DarkHorseColts | Feb 21 2014, 05:51 PM Post #124 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Colts approaching free agency with caution http://www.indystar.com/story/colts-insider/2014/02/21/colts-to-be-cautious-about-free-agent-spending/5665251/ What they said: "It's not hard to tighten your belt when you're looking at what we're looking at in '15 and '16," general manager Ryan Grigson said Friday. "In future years, we have some key, key young talent – not to even give you names; you know who they are – that we're going to have to re-sign. So, we have to be very prudent and fiscally sound in how we move forward. We still have a plan in place and if there's a chance for us to get better at any position, we're going to try to get better, if it makes sense from a fiscal standpoint for the club." What I heard: Colts will most likely be looking in the bargain bin this year. |
![]() |
|
Bent20
|
Feb 21 2014, 07:49 PM Post #125 |
|
Headed to Retirement
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Same as last year and it's smart. You sign a big name, big contract to a long term deal and he goes bust then you really have something to bitch about. |
![]() |
|
| errsay | Feb 21 2014, 10:40 PM Post #126 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Not if you structure it correctly. Aside from Luck and Hilton, who's the great young talent that has to be re-signed? Fleener? Allen, who's coming off of hip surgery? I mean we're talking about 2 budding stars in all reality here. As for this "bargain basement" like last year: the general consensus was that Grigson overpayed for a bunch of mediocre talents. No real "bargains" in that bin, and less than "smart" as a whole. |
![]() |
|
| cedjss | Feb 22 2014, 12:53 AM Post #127 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I just hope we get real talent at offense line |
![]() |
|
| errsay | Feb 22 2014, 10:57 AM Post #128 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Addittion by subtraction would be cutting Satele pronto. I don't get the holdup. There's alot to chose from in FA and the draft that are much better options not only for him, but McGlynn, Reitz and Linky as well. Here's hopin'. |
![]() |
|
IndyColt45
|
Feb 22 2014, 11:34 AM Post #129 |
![]()
MVP
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
There's no benefit to cutting him now vs later. That's the holdup. |
![]() |
|
| errsay | Feb 22 2014, 02:11 PM Post #130 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Just as long as it's fait accompli by 3/11. |
![]() |
|
| cedjss | Feb 22 2014, 03:01 PM Post #131 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
After reading today ESPN article about colts, I think we cut Satele and keep Toler |
![]() |
|
Bent20
|
Feb 22 2014, 03:03 PM Post #132 |
|
Headed to Retirement
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
That would make sense. We gave Satele two years, we'll give Toler the same. IF Toler can finally stay healthy he's shown the ability to be a very solid no. 2 corner. |
![]() |
|
| DarkHorseColts | Feb 22 2014, 03:19 PM Post #133 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I'm not holding my breath. Grigson was asked about Satele at the Combine and gave this answer: http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/4171/grigson-not-ready-to-commit-to-satele-for-next-season “As for Samson, like I said, this is an evaluation process and we have a plan in place,” Grigson said. “We’re not going to divulge that to anyone, but we’re taking all the time and due diligence and the film work and it’s something for the organization to know and you guys will find out at some point.” However their process shakes out, Satele's role (or lack thereof) may not be resolved by the 11th. |
![]() |
|
| errsay | Feb 23 2014, 10:23 AM Post #134 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Translation: When the coaches reviewed the tapes, they told me that he needs to go. I just want to take time and make it all look good, because I signed him and don't want to look like a fool for doing so. Clayton now saying that cap will be bumped to 132M, an increse of 9M over last year. That means the Colts will be abour 42M under the cap threshold for 2014. So paranoia about signing Luck, Hilton and even Castonzo shouldn't be an issue going forward, when the cap could be around 140M at the very least. Edited by errsay, Feb 23 2014, 10:30 AM.
|
![]() |
|
| cedjss | Feb 23 2014, 02:31 PM Post #135 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
If it is 142 million than we have right at 40 million cap space Cut Satele and it is 44 million We can resign Davis and Bethea if they want Plus a couple FA quality starters. |
![]() |
|
| TheDodo | Feb 23 2014, 03:41 PM Post #136 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
This is almost always the best strategy. Build through the draft, fill in the gaps with FAs. Although, I think we really need to take a chance on getting a better DT. |
![]() |
|
| errsay | Feb 24 2014, 10:53 AM Post #137 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
No kidding, but we're down 3 picks in a loaded draft class, so Grigson HAS to augment his talent via FA. |
![]() |
|
Bent20
|
Feb 24 2014, 11:20 AM Post #138 |
|
Headed to Retirement
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
But I bet it will still be similar to last year, bringing in mostly young, unproven, less expensive talent. |
![]() |
|
| errsay | Feb 24 2014, 09:00 PM Post #139 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I hope not. Guys like Spikes and Arthur Jones shouldn't be budget breakers, and would make a world of difference. Byrd and Mack may be out of reach, but they might not be. |
![]() |
|
| cedjss | Mar 1 2014, 01:49 PM Post #140 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I am thinking we will not cut Satele until we sign another center or draft another Holmes and Thornton would be good back ups, i think But if we go in 2014 with Satele or McGlynn as starters then it would be mind blowing On Colt Authority they broke down the offense line for every game At tines Satele and McGlynn look like jokes |
![]() |
|
| errsay | Mar 1 2014, 04:48 PM Post #141 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Well, they were. I was wondering if Satele's deal for this year becomes guaranteed in any way, by a certain date. The more I think about it, I think Grigson should target help along the O-Line with veterans, not thru the draft. I want to see him land a bonafide Center in the next 2 weeks, not draft another unproven rook like Holmes last year. This way it gives Holmes a bit more time to develop. Same for Thornton and even Nixon. |
![]() |
|
Bent20
|
Mar 2 2014, 02:06 AM Post #142 |
|
Headed to Retirement
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
If we don't sign a center then bringing back McGlynn to play center and signing a guard would be the next best move. We have to get better at one of the positions, that will at least help cover for the weakness of one guy, preferably the center position, which can be compensated for more easily. |
![]() |
|
| errsay | Mar 2 2014, 12:21 PM Post #143 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Which is why I suggested the signing of Geoff Schwartz, who is about the most versatile O-Lineman in the league.Shouldn't cost a fortune either. I'm not one of the "we have to sign Alex Mack" band leaders. |
![]() |
|
| cedjss | Mar 2 2014, 12:28 PM Post #144 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I am a band leader on upgrading the center and RG. Satele is bad, McGlynn at guard is bad, McGlynn at center is not much better Mack would be perfect. The center from the Saints would be good. I am sure there are several players who are better than Satele and McGlynn Unless we draft a center or guard in 2nd round than I hope we sign a very good center and guard in FA. We got the money to sign at least 2 or 3 very good free agents |
![]() |
|
| errsay | Mar 2 2014, 12:42 PM Post #145 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Totally agree maestro, but it doesn't have to be Mack...who will cost a fortune. Like you pointed out, just about anyone else would be an instant upgrade. I agree about the current room and the future availability of resource dollars at Jimbo's disposal. As much as I have criticized Grigson's acquisitions last year in FA, his STRUCTURING was brilliant. Now if he would only start by axing Satele... |
![]() |
|
| TheDodo | Mar 2 2014, 03:55 PM Post #146 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I think the best option is to upgrade the C then trust that either one of the guards drafted last year, or potentially in this draft, either steps up or at least isn't so bad that he can't be hidden. Then if there still seems to be a need the following offseason deal with it then. That doesn't mean don't bring in anyone to challenge for the starting spot, just don't spend a lot of money. |
![]() |
|
| cedjss | Mar 2 2014, 04:10 PM Post #147 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I am guessing Grigson is waiting to sign or draft another center before he cuts Satele. If we keep him and pay him $5 million dollars well than I guess we all or missing something. But Grigson has said we have to get better play out of offense line. So I guess we will have to be patient The dead line to franchise a player is tomorrow March the 3rd, free agency starts March the 11th |
![]() |
|
| errsay | Mar 2 2014, 04:19 PM Post #148 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
I'll go on record as saying that if Grigson retains Satele, he's a friggin' moron. I want to see the apologists defend that. |
![]() |
|
| cedjss | Mar 8 2014, 10:19 AM Post #149 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Well do we keep Toler at 5 million this year? His health is the concern. We cut him and put 4 million in bank. Could we sign someone for 4 million who is as good? Or make it 6 million and only give up 2 million. I think in 2 round there are CB who could be better than Toler. If we get them in draft than we cut Toler before season begins We still need a center, RG, a DE, a DT( NG), a safety( Bethea?), another Corner(Davis?), do we need another WR? Maybe 3rd round a WR |
![]() |
|
| errsay | Mar 8 2014, 12:21 PM Post #150 |
|
Pro Bowl'er
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
No way Toler goes anywhere at least until the FA frenzy has passed. And then I doubt it. Toler, Landry and Walden will all be under the microscope in 2014. |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| Go to Next Page | |
| « Previous Topic · 12th Man · Next Topic » |






Bent20
8:50 PM Jul 10