Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Heavenly Host Elementary School: A Corpse Party Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
We're being forced to move from Zetaboards to Taptalk; Read here for more info, along with a rundown of our options
Topic Started: May 28, 2018, 11:35 pm (655 Views)
Ajogamer
Member Avatar

First off, I apologize for the length of this. There's a lot of info to go over however, so I felt like it was important I gave as much info as possible. If all you want is a general idea of the overall situation, then just reading "Part 1 - Explaining the situation will give you that", though I'd appreciate if anyone that wants to be a part of the conversation also reads "Part 2 - Detailing our options".

Part 1 - Explaining the situation

So it recently came to my attention that Zetaboards plans to move all its boards to Tapatalk forum software. This includes ALL boards on the Zetaboards service, including ours, and there isn't any way to opt out of it (I likely would, if that were an option). This means that no matter what myself or any of the board administrators may want or say, we have no choice in the matter, and this forum WILL be changed into a Tapatalk forum when the time comes. As for when exactly that is, I unfortunately can say, since they haven't given any date or estimate for the transfer, though I'd assume it isn't going to be too long.

The official announcement post about the migration can be found here, for anyone interested in seeing it.

As noted in that announcement post, all forum administrators have received a link to a preview site through e-mail, to show us what the Tapatalk version of the forum should look like after it's been transferred over there. Here's the link to the Heavenly Host preview site:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/corpseparty/

Note that this is only a preview site, so anything posted or changed on that site won't actually be transferred over when the move occurs, though feel free to play around with that site as much as you'd like, and get a feel for it. Everyone should even be able to log into their account with the same username and password as on here.

I'm definitely curious to know what everyone here thinks about that preview site: Does it seem like a board you'd be comfortable using after the move? Any positives/negatives you notice upon looking over that preview site?

As for my personal thoughts on it, I'm personally not too happy with the Tapatalk version of the forum, since at least in its current state, it's much more limited in functionality, and lacking many of the features we have over here on Zetaboards. Some such features are less obvious and on the Admin Control Panel side of things, a lot of it comes down to customization. A more immediately apparent example is the board view and skin options, which is much basic and limited on Tapatalk than here on Zetaboards. Far as I can tell both in playing around with the site and in viewing various already-established Tapatalk boards, I all I can really change is some of the site's colors, and the top banner, so what we see in the preview seems likely to be pretty close to what we'd be stuck with.

That said, the above-linked Zetaboards announcement post does mention that they plan on "adding some ZetaBoards features and functionality to Tapatalk in the coming weeks", so it is possible. Unfortunately, we have zero details on what is planned to be added and when, so all I can currently say is that it's possible what we'll get after the move will be a bit better than the preview above, but it's equally possible what we see in the above preview is essentially what we'll get and be stuck with.

If we're unhappy with Tapatalk, we do have the option of going to another board. One I saw many people talking about as being very similar to Zetaboards (while still being very much alive and in active development) is Jcink, so if we were to do so, that would likely be the main consideration. That said, since our forum data is stuck with Zetaboards and they don't give forum admins access to a forum archive download, this would essentially mean starting fresh in a sense, since we have no way to transfer all our posts and topics, and would have to manually remake them.

In any case, I went ahead and tried setting up a board on Jcink, to both get a feel for the forum software, and see how similar I could get it looking. It's still very much a work in progress, including with the two themes I currently have set up (so you may see some slight visual oddities here or there), though feel free to have a look and let me know what you think (do note that unlike the Tapatalk preview above, this is a live board in which any changes remain saved):

https://heavenlyhost.jcink.net/index.php

Also note that while the default skin is set to an alternate one called "Corpse Party New", since it's currently the more presentable of the two, I also have fully dark skin based on the Corpse Party skin set up there as well, which is essentially the same skin as over here, but due to differences in forum structure, it needs a bit of work and editing before it's fully functional and presentable. If we do decide to eventually move there, I'd do my best to get that skin fully functional, along with bringing the 2U skin there as well.

In any case, since the move to Tapatalk is happening regardless of what we do, I feel like it may be worth waiting a bit before we decide anything for certain, in case it goes better than expected. I still wanted to present and consider this section option, that way everyone here can discuss and consider the two options we have, and I can start preparing in case we do feel unhappy with Tapatalk in the end.

Part 2 - Detailing our options

In the end, we really only have two main options, both with their own positives and negatives:

1. Stick with the new, Tapatalk version of the forum.

Pros:

- Hassle-free transfer, since all posts and users are automatically transferred.
- All forum topics and posts remain saved (I believe PMs also are, though I'm not 100% certain, since my PMs weren't showing up on the preview site).

Cons:
- Theme and and customization options for Tapatalk are very limited, so unless significant changes are made down the line, it seems unlikely I'll be able to get a forum display setting and skin that's similar to the current forum.
- Far as I can tell, there's no ability to have a Shoutbox.
- I hear the rules are more strict than Zetaboards, and that staff sometimes go around deleting threads and posts they disagree with (I'm unsure if this would be a concern for our community, but I am slightly worried with how gore-heavy the Corpse Party series can be).

2. Migrate to a new forum hosting software (most likely Jcink)

Pros:

- We can get a forum feel very similar to the current forum, including similar forum skins (it's mostly a matter of conversion).
- Overall forum functionality is very similar to Zetaboards, if not slightly better (and the devs are still actively maintaining it, so it may get new features in the future).
- Allows admins to download the forum database for easily and for free through the Admin Control Panel (while not as important now, this would make it possible to migrate to a new board without losing forum posts and other data should Jcink not work out for us, or get worse over time).
- Rules are more lax, so we're unlikely to run into issues far as that goes.
- More versatile forum software than Tapatalk.

Cons:

- It'd essentially be starting fresh, since the lack of a downloadable forum archive leaves us with no way to transfer old posts, PMs, and users

Detailing those cons a bit more:

Far as the Cons with option #1 goes, I don't think there's too much I'd be able to do about them, since a lot of that is simply up to the people who develop the Taptalk software. If they do eventually update to add some of those features, then it's possible we'd regain some of that functionality, but I'm not sure that'd be very likely.

Now, far as the con with #2 goes, there's no way of getting around this completely since we don't have the forum's data archive, though there may be a bit I could do to make the transition a bit better. Should we go with this option, what I had in mind was that I could recreate some of the board's topics. With more essential ones like stickies, I may try and recreate them completely, though with other less important ones I brought over, it'd only be at a base level; I could recreate the thread with its title and initial post (if suitable), along with a link in the first post to the thread's archive (which would be on the Tapatalk version of the forum). It'd be far from a perfect solution, though it'd at least keep some of the topics around and open for future discussion, while making it a bit easier to jump back into the thread's archives. If it looks like we're considering this option, or people are simply interested in hearing more, I can go into further detail about what I have in mind (and I'd be open to feedback).

Anyway, that's about the gist of things. I'm sorry for the sudden bad news and lack of a more perfect solution, though with the forced move to Tapatalk and our lack of access to the forum's data archive, these are the only two possibilities I can see. I'd appreciate any comments people have about all this (either positive or negative), and I'm open to considering other options as well, should anyone have any ideas or suggestions. I just hope we can figure out a way that everyone here can be relatively happy with the outcome in the end.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shadow Hakai
Member Avatar
Retaining Eyes
Okay, first impressions, tapatalk is ugly as all hell, and I very much do enjoy the jcink aesthetic more. However, I'd rather wait until tomorrow to join this conversation as it's currently very late in my timezone. I'll edit this post.
Welcome to the Corpse Party.

Posted Image

Jackkel Dragon
Member Avatar
Stalker Meganekko
I'll need more time to go over this information, but just going off visuals and the shoutbox I like the second option so far. I do dislike potentially losing old topics and PMs, though. (At least we could link to the old threads from the new forum, assuming they don't get deleted by the new staff.)

Edit: As a side note, is there any way to download PM archives with the information from spoiler tags intact? I tested it and noticed spoiler tags only show the "click to show spoilers"/title.
Edited by Jackkel Dragon, May 28, 2018, 11:55 pm.
"Heheheh... we're not at the spooky part yet. Lean closer, and I'll tell you what happened next..." -- Corpse Party D2: Depths of Despair
"I’ve… remembered why I want to live again…" -- Corpse Party D2: Fatal Operation
"Be sure to keep me entertained! It's not every day that I get a gift from my dearest sister." -- Corpse Party D2: Zero Hope

Tsukiko Wakahisa avatar drawn by Hollie Moir

milkyway
Member Avatar
Cursed
Would it be possible to create a Discord in the meantime?
myAnimeList
about.Me

be sure to keep your sympathy.

Ajogamer
Member Avatar

Shadow Hakai

Okay, first impressions, tapatalk is ugly as all hell, and I very much do enjoy the jcink aesthetic more. However, I'd rather wait until tomorrow to join this conversation as it's currently very late in my timezone. I'll edit this post.

That's alright, there's no rush to weigh in immediately; looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you get to it. Gotta say I feel alike to your impressions between the two boards, though.

Jackkel Dragon

I'll need more time to go over this information, but just going off visuals and the shoutbox I like the second option so far. I do dislike potentially losing old topics and PMs, though. (At least we could link to the old threads from the new forum, assuming they don't get deleted by the new staff.)

Edit: As a side note, is there any way to download PM archives with the information from spoiler tags intact? I tested it and noticed spoiler tags only show the "click to show spoilers"/title.

Yeah, the loss of old topics and PMs is definitely the biggest drawback with the Jcink option. I definitely would try to copy over the more major topics/posts (stickies, at the very least), and any other user who wanted to would be able to do the same, or link to the past threads. That's something we can try and iron out down the line I figure, if we do end up feeling more certain we prefer moving to Jcink over trying out Tapatalk.

Far as downloading PM archives goes, there's no way to get around that that I'm aware of, unfortunately. In fact, I didn't even notice that (and I spent a good hour sorting and backing up all my PMs too, hah...)

The only way I can think to get around that would be opening the spoiler than manually copying the entire PM (could copy and paste into notepad, a word document, or whatever else). Obviously that isn't very practical for someone's entire inbox, but it's at least a way

My hope is that the PMs will transfer to Tapatalk along with the posts, so even if we wind up moving, we could then log in to those forums and check any past PMs there, if we really need to.
milkyway
May 29, 2018, 12:19 am
I'm not all that comfortable with Discord and don't use it often, so I'd rather not, being honest. Also I feel like it's easier to discuss all this on a forum anyway, since that tends to work better for posts of longer length.

Also, even if the move does happen suddenly and without warning, I believe this board's URL will end up redirecting to the Tapatalk site (at least at first; unsure about long-term), so I think you should still be able to find us there. In addition, there's that Jcink board I made, which'll still be around.

Whenever I figure out where we plan to stay at, I'll make sure there's a notification about it on every currently active Heavenly Host board, that way people will be sure to be able to find the new board. I'll also do another bulk email at that point giving the new forum link, if possible.
Edited by Ajogamer, May 29, 2018, 12:31 am.

Konu
Fool
As a long-time forum member, I'd rather we stick with Tapatalk because the forum has a ton of content and stuff that everyone's contributed over the last few years, and it'd just be a shame to get rid of it all and start fresh.

Especially since the forum is rather dead now, so going from a mostly quiet but content-rich forum to dead and empty one feels like it'd essentially spell the death of the forums permanently.

Ajogamer
Member Avatar

Zander1995
May 29, 2018, 1:08 am
As a long-time forum member, I'd rather we stick with Tapatalk because the forum has a ton of content and stuff that everyone's contributed over the last few years, and it'd just be a shame to get rid of it all and start fresh.

Especially since the forum is rather dead now, so going from a mostly quiet but content-rich forum to dead and empty one feels like it'd essentially spell the death of the forums permanently.
Yeah, I really dislike losing easy access to all that content too, though that content would still be there on the Tapatalk forum either way, which is why I see it as more about where any users that are active (even if only occasionally dropping in from time to time) ultimately prefer to spend their time on.

I feel like either way, it could potentially turn some people off: The Tapatalk forum could wind could get less activity since people may dislike the interface, but we would have those previous pots more immediately accessible, while the Jcink forum could get less activity due to the lack of a bigger archive of posts, but we'd still have some previous posts since we can manually move various topics over (whether copying the information post by post or making a new discussion topic of the same name with a link to the "archive thread" on Tapatalk).

So I don't think either way is necessarily a death sentence; it all depends on what the users of the board prefer.
Edited by Ajogamer, May 29, 2018, 1:25 am.

Rohzek
Member Avatar
Leader
I personally quite like the way the Jcink forum feels. Seems more familiar (, and honestly more comfortable) than the Tapatalk version. The availability of more customization (for now, at least) also means that special events such as the April fools themes (or any other reason to provide a new theme) don't have to stop, which is a pretty nice plus. The shoutbox feature carrying over, is as well. And the ability to simply link back to the archives stored on the Tapatalk version makes it less of a painless transition.

As for the fear of new forums dying out, I also feel like, at least in some ways, a fresh start may be more enticing to new members too; Who otherwise could be currently off-put by the large number of dead threads, by inactive members, and might be more inclined to join in on the new, rebuilding, community.(.. or the reverse problem is also true, too: old members who come back to find we've moved, and don't bother making a new account on a new forum, and just go away again.)
Having only current, up to date discussions available could make the place feel, even if artificially, more lively.

Posted Image

URV
Member Avatar
Local Giant
Ajogamer

- All forum topics and posts remain saved (I believe PMs also are, though I'm not 100% certain, since my PMs weren't showing up on the preview site).
I can confirm from a previous forum transition that all PMs will be kept.

In any case, I'm 100% in favor of starting fresh with Jcink. The differences in functionality will be minimal, and the only issue I am concerned with is the loss of data. However, individual users have the ability to save their own PMs (direct link), and should also be possible to archive every single public post through a script. I will be testing that out within the next few days, and encourage anyone else with programming knowledge to give it a try while we're still on ZetaBoards.

It's hard to tell whether this will bring more activity or do the exact opposite, but I personally believe it's our best option. And, besides, just like with formatting your PC, it can feel pretty good to start fresh—just need a bit of extra work to bring it back to its previous state. ;)

milkyway

An unofficial Discord server is available here.
Edited by URV, May 29, 2018, 3:31 pm.

Ajogamer
Member Avatar

So a few quick things to mention:

First off, we now have a fully functional version of both the Corpse Party and Corpse Party 2U themes over on the Jcink version of the board, thanks to Rohzek! I also went ahead and changed the Corpse Party theme to the board's default, so people can see it without logging in (while Corpse Party 2U and Corpse Party New are both available style options).

Second, I went ahead and recreated a few topics, to give an example of what it'd be like if we ported things over (naturally, any links to "archive topics" would be updated after the move to link over to the thread on Tapatalk instead):

Example of a remade thread in which I was the original poster

Example of a remade thread in which someone else was the original poster

So that should give an idea of what remaking threads over there would be like in many cases, should we move over to Jcink. The idea's that with at least having the initial post brought over, we have that a baseline to continue any previous discussion with, and the archive and link to the original thread will still be there, for anyone who wants to go back and look over old replies and discussion.

While it'd be too time-consuming to do for every thread brought over, I could also remake multiple posts for instances in which that may be more important, such as with an information dump topic.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Principal's Office · Next Topic »
Add Reply