Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the DragonVale Wiki Forum. If you wish to return to the wiki, please click here.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you are a new user, please register here.

REGISTER LINK WORKS NOW, SORRY. )x

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Dragon / Racetrack Matches; The best dragons for the best tracks!
Topic Started: Jul 26 2012, 10:21 AM (57,895 Views)
txr13

A suggestion was made to compile a list of racetrack names and the best dragons for these tracks.

NOTE: The racetracks are actually made of several different elements. If you don't have the "ideal" dragon for the track, you can use another dragon with the same elements.

Blast Furnace - Forge - Metal, Fire
Cherry Road - Sakura - Fire, Plant, Earth
Dramoria - Mine - Metal, Cold
Electric Skies - Sonic - Air, Lightning
Marshlands - Swamp - Water, Plant, Earth
Rime or Reason - Snow - Air, Cold
Shimmering Faultline - Quake - Earth, Lightning
Ulster Meadows - Clover - Plant, Earth
Year of the Dragon - Panlong - Fire, Water, Earth, Air

I'll keep this list updated as I come across new racetracks.
Edited by txr13, Jul 26 2012, 12:31 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RuffianRules

Thanks txr13! This is actually very helpful.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sylvandyr
Member Avatar

It's the elements on the track that matter rather than specific dragons. A lot of race tracks match up with more than one dragon, and if you don't have an ideal dragon for the racetrack, you can at least do your best to match up the elements as well as possible. As such, it is much more important to know what elements are on the track, rather than which dragons are ideal. Of course, there are some element combinations for which there is only one dragon at the moment. Here's the list of tracks I've seen so far.

Blast Furnace: Metal, Fire (Forge, Brass)
Cherry Road: Plant, Fire, Earth (Sakura)
Dramoria: Metal, Cold (Steel, Mine)
Electric Skies: Lightning, Air (Sonic)
Marshlands: Plant, Water, Earth (Swamp, Seaweed)
Rime or Reason: Cold, Air (Snow)
Shimmering Faultline: Lightning, Earth (Quake, Crystal)
Ulster Meadows: Plant, Earth (Clover, Tree, Moss)
Year of the Dragon: Air, Earth, Fire, Water (Panlong)
Edited by Sylvandyr, Jul 26 2012, 02:52 PM.

SunRunner

My list corresponds with the above except for:
Dramoria--Steel
Ulster Meadow---Emerald
Shimmering Faultline---Crystal

All these are undefeated! I have another, lower level park with no epic, gem, or rare dragons. I've found that just matching up the track elements with the appropriate hybrid dragon works, but I get occasional 2nd & 3rd place finishes with that strategy.

Edit: In the lower level park with no rare dragons, I've been successful with Blazing in place of Panlong on YOD track; Poison in place of Sakura on Cherry Road; and Moss in place of Emerald on Ulster Meadow.
Edited by SunRunner, Jul 26 2012, 12:08 PM.

deejayucla

Sylvandyr
Jul 26 2012, 11:55 AM
It's the elements on the track that matter rather than specific dragons. A lot of race tracks match up with more than one dragon, and if you don't have an ideal dragon for the racetrack, you can at least do your best to match up the elements as well as possible. As such, it is much more important to know what elements are on the track, rather than which dragons are ideal. Of course, there are some element combinations for which there is only one dragon at the moment. Here's the list of tracks I've seen so far.

Blast Furnace: Metal, Fire (Forge, Brass)
Cherry Road: Plant, Fire, Earth (Sakura)
Dramoria: Metal, Cold (Steel, Mine)
Electric Skies: Lightning, Air (Sonic)
Marshlands: Plant, Water (Swamp, Seaweed)
Shimmering Faultline: Lightning, Earth (Quake, Crystal)
Ulster Meadows: Plant, Earth (Clover, Tree, Moss)
Year of the Dragon: Air, Earth, Fire, Water (Panlong)
This looks right, I would also add Sakura to Ulster Meadows, and Butterfly to Electric Skies.

txr13

Sylvandyr
Jul 26 2012, 11:55 AM
It's the elements on the track that matter rather than specific dragons. A lot of race tracks match up with more than one dragon, and if you don't have an ideal dragon for the racetrack, you can at least do your best to match up the elements as well as possible.
I realize this. Of course, I found it highly amusing that the racetrack names are telegraphing the correct dragons to us. At the same time, many people may not be able to connect the names to the dragons, especially if they are ESL. That's why I'm essentially connecting racetracks with specific dragons.

However, I did notice that it's the elements that matter, not the specific dragon. I figured it would be mostly obvious to an astute observer that you could substitute the correct elements in and have the same effect. However, it's a good idea to not assume this, so I'll update the list with the elements that constitute each track.

deejayucla

Also, I recommend Brass over Forge for Blast Furnace, if only because watching Brass run is much more entertaining.

txr13

Syl, the racetrack "Marshlands" has Water, Plant, and Earth zones. I just confirmed it. Do you know of a dragon with those three elements? Possible limited dragon in the future?

Sylvandyr
Member Avatar

txr13
Jul 26 2012, 12:32 PM
Syl, the racetrack "Marshlands" has Water, Plant, and Earth zones. I just confirmed it. Do you know of a dragon with those three elements? Possible limited dragon in the future?
I thought that too at first, but the breaks in the middle with the plain ground seem to be just neutral zones. Earth zones have hardcore desert decor, look at the ones in the Shimmering Faultline/Ulster Meadows/Year of the Dragon/Cherry Road etc.

The zones you're referring to in the Marshlands are completely empty. If you look at Blast Furnace/Rime or Reason, there are a few empty ground zones in the middle too, like in the Marshlands, that aren't Earth zones. (Check out the beginning of the racetracks and the end, there are similar empty ground zones that are just neutral.)
Edited by Sylvandyr, Jul 26 2012, 01:07 PM.

txr13

Yeah, I saw the neutral zones, too. That confusion is why I had to reconfirm it, but I'm absolutely positive now that I saw the hardcore desert decor in Marshlands. Skulls and all.

EDIT: If I can, I'll get a screencap of it.
Edited by txr13, Jul 26 2012, 01:13 PM.

RuffianRules

txr13
Jul 26 2012, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I saw the neutral zones, too. That confusion is why I had to reconfirm it, but I'm absolutely positive now that I saw the hardcore desert decor in Marshlands. Skulls and all.

Maybe there will be a Plant, Water, Earth hybrid in the future and maybe it just means that the MUD dragon is also a good choice for the Marshlands?

Sylvandyr
Member Avatar

RuffianRules
Jul 26 2012, 01:14 PM
txr13
Jul 26 2012, 01:08 PM

Maybe there will be a Plant, Water, Earth hybrid in the future and maybe it just means that the MUD dragon is also a good choice for the Marshlands?
If that's true, then Mud, Clover, Tree, and Moss would all work for the Marshlands.

I was very sure that I didn't see any Earth zones when I got the arena a few times last night, but then again, I was quite tired, so I might have made a mistake. I'm having trouble drawing that arena again now.

It would be much easier if we could make a video of a race in progress.
Edited by Sylvandyr, Jul 26 2012, 01:18 PM.

txr13

Got it. Here's a screenshot of the Marshlands track. On the right, you can clearly see the cactus, rocks, and cracked earth, different from the neutral zone on the left.

Posted Image

RuffianRules

I'm sure the more we all play the races, the more we'll learn. It's a bit confusing right now especially when you have main elements and sub elements. At least that's what the Wiki page says. So what if Earth is a sub/secondary element to the Marshlands? Then I would still say that Mud is a good secondary dragon to use if you don't have Swamp or Seaweed available. But I certainly wouldn't think that Tree, Clover or Moss would good choices because they don't have the water component. I dunno.

Sylvandyr
Member Avatar

Ah, yeah, that's definitely the Earth zone.

Very intriguing. I wonder if they're planning another limited dragon soon. A marsh dragon though.... doesn't sound very limited dragony. So maybe the Earth thing is just there because they wanted it to be since marshlands do have some land in them.

Dragons get a slight speed boost if they're on an element represented in their type set, so you want to pick the dragons that have elements that occur most commonly during the track.

Since we don't have a Plant/Earth/Water hybrid, there is no 100% ideal dragon for this track. I counted the zones, and there is a significantly larger number of Plant zones more than anything else. Next most common is Water, followed by Earth (only two Earth zones on the entire map). So Seaweed/Swamp is still by far the best choice, followed by Clover/Tree/Moss/Sakura. The saddest part is that, due to how big the Plant zone portion is, a Plant dragon may be better than a Mud dragon for this map even though Mud has Water and Earth in it - unless I miscalculated, there is more Plant zone than Water + Earth zone combined.

The majority of your speed comes from hitting the boosts correctly, though, so you could technically put any random dragon in the race and boost perfectly and win. And conversely, enter the best dragon and lose by missing boosts. I have nearly lost to a computer dragon when I missed one boost because I was doing something else at the same time.
Edited by Sylvandyr, Jul 26 2012, 01:46 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme by Rae of the ZetaBoardsThemeZone.