Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nobel Prize 2014
Topic Started: Sep 3 2014, 11:26 PM (7,850 Views)
Heteronym
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If it's a playwright, it must be Edward Albee!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Academy announced today that they will no longer let the general public attend the announcement in Stockholm due to "security concerns". Supposedly it's not because of any threat, but simply because the announcements (which only journalists bothered showing up for until a few years ago) have now gotten so crowded that they don't want to risk people fainting or getting trampled.

Posted Image
What it usually looks like

Incidentally, the Nobel foundation just put up an open question asking Who deserves a Nobel Prize? Some of the answers are good, others... demonstrate how the Internet gives everyone a voice.
Edited by Bjorn, Oct 2 2014, 09:22 AM.

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thiong'o now the favorite at Ladbrokes at 4/1, and many new old names: Kadare 10/1, Handke 16/1, Zagajewski 20/1, Nooteboom 25/1 etc (don't think it means a thing, just getting more action)

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
An increasing number of people over here are mentioning Nawal El Saadawi. Anyone familiar with her?

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
AP about some speculations.

I very much doubt Oksanen and Adichie are in the running - they're both excellent writers, but neither of them is even 40 yet. But I haven't seen Dubravka Ugresic mentioned as a candidate before, any thoughts on that? I have a couple of her books waiting to be read, but never seem to get around to them.

Elie
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Bjorn
Oct 4 2014, 07:03 AM
An increasing number of people over here are mentioning Nawal El Saadawi. Anyone familiar with her?
Yes. Only read Woman At Point Zero, but it was very good and I'm keen to read more of hers.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And it's official, we're go for Thursday.

Medicine prize went to a Norwegian married couple and an American for figuring out, as far as I can tell, how we know where we are.
Edited by Bjorn, Oct 6 2014, 04:55 AM.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Actually somewhat balanced "Why won't they give it to an American" article suggests Sam Shepard and Scott Momaday. Never read anything by the latter, but at least Shepard has co-written a song with Bob Dylan. :P

Meanwhile, the Chinese are claiming to have already won all the prizes. I think.

byrd
Member Avatar
byrd is the wyrd
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bjorn
Oct 6 2014, 04:54 AM
And it's official, we're go for Thursday.

Medicine prize went to a Norwegian married couple and an American for figuring out, as far as I can tell, how we know where we are.
I went to a lecture a couple of years ago given by a researcher in the Mosers' lab at the Kavli Institute, and it was seriously impressive.

They understood the system of place cells in the brain so well that they could trigger signals in live mice (or rats, can't rmember which) to make them think there was a wall where there wasn't a wall. The mice were not visually impaired in any way, so they could not see any wall, but they acted as if there was a wall there.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And the Physics prize to the guys who invented the LED lamp. Geeez, why don't they ever give it out for things that are of any practical use? :P

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lenz drops out of the race. Really sad news, though 88 (and productive right up to the end) isn't bad.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Engdahl speaks up again.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm off to Frankfurt, so just to put in my top 3 of likely winners. They don't change much year by year, really.

Ngugi wa Thiong'o - because not only is he (at least most of the time) an excellent writer, but one who has always understood and tried to work the idea of language as a tool of power. You can only get answers if you can ask the right questions. Plus, Wizard of the Crow is just so fucking good.

Svetlana Alexievich - again, she's just that good, and again, she's a writer who gives voice to people - as she herself puts it in Zinky Boys, she's a historian of that which is lost without a trace. Plus hey, everyone's going to dismiss the winner as "a political choice" anyway whoever it is, so they might as well go balls out and present it in a t-shirt saying "FUCK YOU PUTIN".

Hwang Sok-yong - because there needs to be an outsider, and it would be fun to see someone win who's not on the Ladbrokes list. And because when everyone thought they'd give it to an American they gave it to a Canadian, so let's give Murakami's prize to a Korean. And because he can capture history in tiny personal details, or whateverthehell Englund is going to put in the motivation.

Just realised that these are all three dissident writers who have had to go to trial for things they've written. But they gave it to a kindly old Canadian lady who writes short stories last year, so as much as I appreciate Munro, here's hoping they'll toss their hat in the ring this year.

But really, I'd be happy with any non-boring writer.

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll be happy with whoever they choose if it prompts me to discover some new and fascinating literature.

I'll go with Ngugi as well for a guess. I've only read A Grain of Wheat, so it'll prompt me to get Wizard of the Crow off the shelf where it's been sitting for a few years and discover some of his other work as well.

And for more left field guesses, I'll be patriotic and say Les Murray or Gerald Murnane, who haven't really been in the conversation for a few years.

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
people's choice from among the Radblokes top ten
http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/poll/2014/oct/08/who-should-win-nobel-prize-literature-ngugi-wa-thiongo-haruki-murakami-philip-roth
Quote:

Who should win the Nobel prize in literature?
12% Ngugi Wa Thiong'o 7/2
34% Haruki Murakami 9/2
3% Svetlana Aleksijevitj 6/1
4% Adonis 10/1
6% Ismail Kadare 10/1
2% Patrick Modiano 10/1
2% Jon Fosse 12/1
6% Peter Handke 12/1
30% Philip Roth 12/1
2% Assia Djebar 14/1
Poll closes in 12 hours
add: http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/evolution-nobel-prize-betting

nother add: Marcel's picks (oh and I voted Kadare in the poll)
Edited by nnyhav, Oct 8 2014, 07:44 PM.

byrd
Member Avatar
byrd is the wyrd
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm busy at work but i'll be F5-ing all day.

*go pynchon*

DDR
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Kadare or Ngugi :)

Demiurge
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
And the winner is ............ Patrick Modiano!

... who? what? - never heard of him. Can anybody enlighten me?

Heteronym
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've read his name in some places; I never felt remotely interested in him. It's not the Nobel that's going to change that stance.

DDR
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
I've only read one very brief autobiography called Un Pedigree which comprehends the time from his childhood to the moment his first novel is published. Very well crafted, evocative of memories during the German occupation. I quite liked it.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply