Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nobel Prize 2016
Topic Started: Aug 19 2016, 06:46 PM (18,758 Views)
Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As a start, here's the betting list, as of today, a few changes from last year:

http://www.nicerodds.co.uk/nobel-prize-in-literature

Haruki Murakami 5/1
Adunis 8/1
Joyce Carol Oates 10/1
Ngugi Wa Thiong'o 10/1
Philip Roth 12/1
Ismail Kadaré 14/1
Jon Fosse 17/1
Amos Oz 20/1
Péter Nadas 20/1
Adam Zagajewski 25/1
Doris Kareva 25/1
John Banville 25/1
Kjell Askildsen 25/1
Cees Nooteboom 30/1
Gerald Murnane 30/1
Jaan Kaplinski 30/1
Ko Un 30/1
Laszlo Krasznahorkai 30/1
Leonard Nolens 30/1
Olga Tokarczuk 30/1
Peter Handke 30/1
Jussi Adler-Olsen 33/1
Sirkka Turkka 40/1
Tua Forsström 40/1
Mircea Cartarescu 50/1
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bloß ein Língshān
Member Avatar
Tropften Fingernägel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wästberg gave a chat at Harvard a couple of months ago. nothin' of earth-shattering news:

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2016/04/a-way-with-other-words/

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In previous years I have been of the firm view that Mircea Cartarescu was not there yet, needed another significant novel.

Well that has come out (Solenoid) and from all reports, brilliant, and am looking forward to reading it this summer. It will take some years for this to filter through via translations (even a Nobel Committee commissioned translation would take some time), so not expected to win this year, but very good chance within the next 5-10 years I would say.
Edited by Didi, Aug 19 2016, 07:10 PM.

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
as mentioned in other thread the extraordinary Italian poet/oral poet etc Francesco Benozzo, nominated again this year. per interview via UOB website (roughly translated) " you have already stated in interviews that your candidacy was a "protest" candidacy, and that you have never even remotely thought about the possibility of achieving the award. Yet on the official website of the Nobel Prize your name came first in a survey in which readers were asked to give their preference.".

Bloß ein Língshān
Member Avatar
Tropften Fingernägel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Did you read all of Orbitor in French?

I have a feeling Sara is going to steer the choice to another female. In the interview I posted, Wästberg said they wouldn't choose minority-language writers just as a token of literature everywhere - because of politicising the award and backlash - but I would be incredibly happy if Danius' tenure was all women laureates.

I'll post more names later today. I'm surprised ladbrokes isn't up.

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
struggled thru the original Rom. years ago and Sean's version for v1.

I agree, my instinct tells me female winner and outside of Europe. Much to choose from there.
Edited by Didi, Aug 19 2016, 07:30 PM.

Cleanthes
Member Avatar
Dinanukht wannabe
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Trying to find out more info about the fate of poor Tina Parri, AKA Fregolina, a teen Italian variety actress from the beginning of the 20th. Century, I found these news from 1908 about the Nobel Prize from this Spanish newspaper, La Correspondencia de Espagna:

The Medicine Nobel Prize will be shared by Drs. Ilya Ilyich Mechnikov of the Pasteur Institute in Paris and Paul Ehrlich of Frankfurt's Therapeutic Institute. In Chemistry the whole amount of the prize was won by Dr. Ernest Rutherford, professor and director of the Physic labs at Manchester University. The prize in Physics will be collected by Dr. Max Planck, professor at Berlin University. Finally, the Literature prize will not be awarded to Belgian writer Maurice Maeterlinck, as had been announced previously, but to the great English poet Algernon Charles Swinburne.

Max Planck didn't win that year, he had to wait until 1918. Maeterlinck had to wait until 1911. Swinburne, on the other hand, didn't get it that year, and by the next year it was already too late: he was dead by April. Who then won the 1908 Nobel in Literature? Why, that perennial titan, Rudolf Eucken, of course.

"El premio do Física lo obtendrá integro el doctor Max Planck, profesor de !a universidad de Berlín. Por último, en la sección de Iiteratura, el premiado no es el escritor belga Mauricio MaeterIinck, como se había dicho, sino el gran poeta inglés Algernson Charles Swinburne."
Edited by Cleanthes, Aug 27 2016, 09:53 PM.

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Speculation 50 years ago
and other observations

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1966/10/nobels-hits-and-misses/305482/

much harsher/blunt on Eucken than Cleanthes

“Rudolf Eucken, a deservedly forgotten philosopher who was never important, was a scandalous choice in literature.”
Edited by Didi, Aug 30 2016, 01:49 AM.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's a pretty good article, thanks! To think that 50 years ago, American articles on the Nobel actually bothered finding out some basic facts about the prize and taking a look at the hows and whys and wheretos.

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Indian women writers unfortunately get scant consideration here and as far as I am aware Kamala Surayya was the last to get serious consideration, just beaten at the post by Seifert.
Someone from the lesser known languages/regions for instance Padma Sachdev (Dogri) would be a pleasant surprise.

here is a list of some (poetry) greats, all except Nandini Sahu no longer eligible:

http://www.thebetterindia.com/55708/women-poets-india-list-poetry/
Edited by Didi, Sep 3 2016, 05:57 PM.

Bloß ein Língshān
Member Avatar
Tropften Fingernägel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm really coming around to the idea of Murakami winning the prize, but I don't want to expound right now.

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Didi
Sep 3 2016, 05:54 PM
Indian women writers unfortunately get scant consideration here and as far as I am aware Kamala Surayya was the last to get serious consideration, just beaten at the post by Seifert.
Someone from the lesser known languages/regions for instance Padma Sachdev (Dogri) would be a pleasant surprise.

here is a list of some (poetry) greats, all except Nandini Sahu no longer eligible:

http://www.thebetterindia.com/55708/women-poets-india-list-poetry/
Good article more so as it's written by a tenth grader. :eh:

redhead
Member Avatar
books & beer
[ *  *  * ]
Bloß ein Língshān
Sep 4 2016, 01:44 PM
I'm really coming around to the idea of Murakami winning the prize, but I don't want to expound right now.
Him winning in general? Or do you think it's his year?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sounds you may have heard similar whispers Bloss, except I do not think it is going in that specific direction.

redhead
Member Avatar
books & beer
[ *  *  * ]
Bjorn
Aug 30 2016, 02:44 AM
That's a pretty good article, thanks! To think that 50 years ago, American articles on the Nobel actually bothered finding out some basic facts about the prize and taking a look at the hows and whys and wheretos.
Yes, this. This bothers me so much nowadays. No, I don't care that Proust published a masterpiece, he did not deserve the Nobel by virtue of dying before the last volumes were published, and no, you're clickbait article, 10 Writers Famously Snubbed by the Nobel prize, is not real journalism.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I still carry some faint hope they'll give it to Ryu Murakami just to fuck with people.

No real buzz going on in Sweden yet that I can see. Everyone in the culture pages has been busy debating whether nazis are really that bad. Claudio Magris did a high-profile visit the other week, and with a new book and several new editions out in Swedish this autumn he might get a few mentions. Anyone who's read him and have an opininon on his worthiness?

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I tried to find my posts about him, Bjorn, in vain. From memory, i liked him very much, but he gave me pause (the search function thing is driving me nuts; shall try Cleanthes' suggestion again) The stroke of his brush, sweep of his humanity is i think Eurocentric and culturally, politically conservative with a small c; these being the sensibilities etc et that fund and drive his internatiionalism onwards; he's erudite, passionate, but perhaps blinkered. I'm sorry to lack the nuance of my earlier posts about

As to Murakami, yes, i'm with Jake and Marcel on this one

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks! Found the thread here:

http://w11.zetaboards.com/thefictionalwoods/topic/785032/1/

Sounds like Danube would be the one to go with?

redhead
Member Avatar
books & beer
[ *  *  * ]
I'd second Danube. It's dense but rewarding. I was a little less enamored with Microcosms, which seemed like more of the same. He's a great stylist. His scope of the world might prevent him from winning, but if he did, I would welcome it. As for the Eurocentric criticism, well, the academy is, too, and anyway Magris focuses mainly on the small, forgotten stories from areas around him, from people who don't really have a cultural identity or at least call that notion into question. He sounds right up their alley to me.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yes Danube, Born (and as I said, my post above lacks nuance of earlier which I wasn't able to find, my own sensibilities being avowedly modernist and European)

Prizes aren't for me, but i'do say he's good, but hardly warranting

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply