Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nobel Prize 2016
Topic Started: Aug 19 2016, 06:46 PM (19,076 Views)
Bloß ein Língshān
Member Avatar
Tropften Fingernägel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yeah, i'm not saying I necessarily am all for h. murakami winning, but like didi said... plus, i can see the case being made. similar to oe, he's accused of "reeking of butter," writing like a foreigner, a westerner; he's warped the language in a way to fit his purpose, his fancy for american literature, using similar syntax, replacing idioms with their american equivalents, and being at pains to reduce the intentional vagueness built into Japanese. however, I don't want it construed that I believe what he's achieved with the language is anywhere close to oe - now, he's raped and brutalised and has transformed it in a way that defies its history. but then again, genius is lonely, and some of the biggest stars of contemporary japanese (tawada, ogawa, kawakami, matsuura (yoshimoto, r murakami, and shimada would have to be excluded)) have direct links to h. murakami's prose and themes, not oe's.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Minor rumours of a speculative fiction writer being considered or a writer that has written something within that genre. The nobel prize has been awarded to a number in the later category (I have counted nine thus far, Lessing the most recent winning at the age of 88, noting Canopus in Argos).

I still think it will be a woman from outside of Europe and to cover one from only three continents within this context (i.e either predominately wrote spec fiction or have some works in this category):

North America: 86 year old Le Guin for sure is firmly in the race. The recent "The Library of America" inclusion is a distinct honour especially whilst still alive: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/29/books/ursula-le-guin-has-earned-a-rare-honor-just-dont-call-her-a-sci-fi-writer.html?_r=0 I will be reading more of her works thx to Jacek.

South America: 88 year old Argentine author Angélica Gorodischer, numerous literary awards (eg World Fantasy Lifetime Achievement Award.) and non-literary awards (eg Permanent Assembly for Human Rights for works and activity in women`s rights), prolific, covering a variety of genres and the wiki entry does not do justice to her bibliography (especially the last few years). Speculative fiction is what she is best known for outside Argentina (Kalpa Imperial: The Greatest Empire That Never Was, in particular, which I enjoyed) but I was more impressed by the lesser read Prodigies (which she considers her best work). Of course Le Guin is a fan (tr, her). Its been over 70 years since a Latin American woman has won the prize. Mistral was the very first Latin American, and the only Latin American woman, to receive the Nobel Prize (1945).

Asia: Can Xue, I think based on a few essays on her designated masterpiece I have read, if a translation of Frontiers has been made available to the Academy, Can will be a serious consideration. I also think some of the Academy’s new members would be more open in considering her. However more a future prospect rather than immediate.

My current thoughts are that Le Guin will win this year even when ignoring the baseless rumours.

redhead
Member Avatar
books & beer
[ *  *  * ]
Where did those rumors about a speculative fiction author come from? I'd love to see it happen and would welcome Le Guin but really can't imagine it occurring, at least not this year.

As for Can Xue, is Frontiers her masterpiece you're talking about? Or a different book? She would be a great winner but I agree that she'd have to wait for a while.

Jacek
Member Avatar
a watery down
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I would like for her to win, if only because it'd mean we'd get a nice long acceptance speech out of it, and because a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't would then buy and hopefully read her 800-page Collected Novellas tome, arriving mid-October.

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sorry red for being unclear, I was referring to Frontier and see if I can find the link

thx Jacek, also pre-ordered the selected short fiction issue coming out in the following month which is double that size.
Edited by Didi, Sep 7 2016, 12:42 AM.

Jacek
Member Avatar
a watery down
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's grand, Didi. Between those two volumes you'll be getting a lot of her best work.

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
via otherforum, Ladbrokes openers:
5/1 Haruki Murakami
7/1 Ngugi Wa Thiong'o
8/1 Philip Roth
16/1 Ismail Kadare, Joyce Carol Oates
20/1 Jon Fosse
25/1 Adunis, Peter Handke, Peter Nadas, Amos Oz
33/1 Ko Un, John Banville, Adam Zagajewski, Antonio Lobo Antunes, Juan Marse, Kjell Askildsen, Doris Kareva
50/1 Ursula Le Guin, Marilynne Robinson, Nawal El Saadawi, Milan Kundera, Thomas Pynchon, Lydia Davis, Cees Nooteboom, Mircea Cartarescu, Bob Dylan, Les Murray, Leonard Nolens, Laszlo Krasznahorkai, Gerald Murnane, Jaan Kaplinski, Jussi Adler-Olsen, Olga Tokarczuk
66/1 David Malouf, Peter Carey, Karol Schoeman. William Trevor, Javier Marias, Yan Lianke, Bei Dao, Rohinton Mistry, Nuruddin Farah, Darcia Maraini, Margaret Atwood, Don DeLillo, Richard Ford, Karl Ove Knausgard, Paul Muldoon, Juan Goytisolo, Salman Rushdie, Cormac McCathy, Tom Stoppard, Colm Toibin, Joan Didion, Eduardo Mendoza-Garriga, Enrique Vila-Matas
100/1 Don Patterson, A S Byatt, John Ashbery, Yevgeniy Yevtushenko, James Kelman, Hilary Mantel, F Sioni Jose

(last year's openers)

(Doris Kareva? Jussi Adler-Olsen??)

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
quite a few changes from last year except the rollover of the front runners, two I have been thinking about as having a very strong chance to win Le Guin (per previous post) and Marilynne Robinson (not posted on yet) have moved from 25/1 last year to 50/1 this year.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
nnyhav
Sep 8 2016, 12:05 AM
Jussi Adler-Olsen??
Karl-Ove Knausgård??

Well, as per usual, I guess they need a few familiar names to take in a few hundred bucks... I'm really surprised at Adler-Olsen, though, Ladbrokes are usually not quite as shameless as some betting firms who'll throw in any old bestseller.

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bjorn
Sep 8 2016, 03:27 AM
nnyhav
Sep 8 2016, 12:05 AM
Jussi Adler-Olsen??
Karl-Ove Knausgård??

Well, as per usual, I guess they need a few familiar names to take in a few hundred bucks... I'm really surprised at Adler-Olsen, though, Ladbrokes are usually not quite as shameless as some betting firms who'll throw in any old bestseller.
yeah I was parenthesizing the names new to this year's list, Karl-Ove was on last year's, but Jussi gets the extra question-mark for just the reason you give (the new names are amongst those nicerodds includes in Didi's inception post)

the list means so much less since Magnus Puke left Ladbrokes, but it has piqued my curiosity about Kareva, first I'd heard of her ...

add: silly me, Olga Tokarczuk wasn't on last year's list either
Edited by nnyhav, Sep 9 2016, 05:52 PM.

Cleanthes
Member Avatar
Dinanukht wannabe
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A month left. Time for some racehorse betting. So here are my five picks:
Olga Tokarczuk, Louise Erdrich, Ngugi Wa Thiong'o, Antonio Lobo Antunes, Hwang Sok-yong.

FriendCatcher
Member Avatar
Acolyte
[ *  * ]
As to Magris, I did enjoy Danube and also Blindly. He definitely fits the old mold for a Nobel Prize winner: an older European man writing well about "serious things." So yes, if he won, I would not at all be disappointed.

But I would be really much more excited if the rumors about speculative fiction were true and any of the three mentioned won it (i.e., LeGuin, Gorodischer or Can Xue). I think that would signal the Nobel is taking its longstanding criticisms seriously, without awarding writers that aren't already worthy. It would signal a welcome shift in worldview, I think. It would also return the Prize to my attention -- which has been slipping for the past few years-- again

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
mrs lopsided
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
me too, boredom with/at passes for the good stuff, never mind greatness in literary fiction is what led to my reading so much speculative etc etc.

It's too soon for Laszlo, Goytisolo i'd be very surprised, but happy, likewise Ashbery. But as a list it's looking more than a little shop worn if not downright impoverished and escalated(Oates again, fer crying out loud)
Edited by oneofmurphysbiscuits, Sep 8 2016, 02:09 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FriendCatcher
Member Avatar
Acolyte
[ *  * ]
oneofmurphysbiscuits
Sep 8 2016, 01:42 PM
me too, boredom with/at passes for the good stuff, never mind greatness in literary fiction is what led to my reading so much speculative etc etc.

It's too soon for Laszlo, Goytisolo i'd be very surprised, but happy, likewise Ashbery. But as a list it's looking more than a little shop worn if not downright impoverished and escalated(Oates again, fer crying out loud)
Yes to all of the above. I'm waiting for Krasznahorkai's prize, but I know it will be years yet. (And I've given up hope on Goytisolo winning it, although maybe I'm being pessimistic).

ETA: Of course I'd be so happy if Murnane won, but that will never happen. (And it's probably for the best for his reputation's long-term longevity when seen in light of White's post-Prize disgraceful fall into obscurity).
Edited by FriendCatcher, Sep 9 2016, 11:03 AM.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I actually wouldn't be surprised if Krasznahorkai gets it pretty soon (though hopefully not this year, I'm hoping for a non-European for a change). Yes, he's still productive and still not exactly in his dotage, but they have given it to several sub-60 writers recently, and 62 is by no means too young to get it. Though hopefully he'll be writing for many years yet, obviously.

For those who think those things matter, they just announced the lineup of this year's Stockholm Literature Festival in October, and there are some Nobel discussees in the lineup: most notably Ngugi, DeLillo and Kincaid. DeLillo especially will probably get some buzz, what with his new book just out and all, but as much as I like him I find it hard to believe that they'd break the US's 23-year drought with him. He just seems too... safe.

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A noted critic and speculator in the past has mentioned that Jamaica Kincaid is a consideration a couple of times.
The same critic has mentioned Sofi Oksanen, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Marie Darrieussecq, Marilynne Robinson in the same vein.

All women and three outside Europe. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is potentially too young. That leaves Marilynne and Jamaica as strong possibilities in my opinion.

I await Maria's thoughts this year. She was right again last year.

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
FriendCatcher
Sep 9 2016, 11:00 AM
ETA: Of course I'd be so happy if Murnane won, but that will never happen. (And it's probably for the best for his reputation's long-term longevity when seen in light of White's post-Prize disgraceful fall into obscurity).
I dunno if I'd say that it'll never happen for Murnane, given that he does have a reputation in Sweden. If it went Australian then it'd have to be him or Les Murray (with Carey and Malouf as more outside chances). As I've noted in previous years, if he were to win it the prize would be greeted by widespread bewilderment from the vast majority of Australians who have never heard of him.

I'm not sure about his worldwide reputation, but Patrick White is still well-known in Australia, if not widely read. It probably doesn't help that his novels are seen as too difficult (and too long) to appear on school curricula.

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
you sum it up perfectly Funhouse

Les thinks Murnane is Australia's best chance (and his own time for consideration is long past), as he said a while back ‘He’s a really literary writer. There’s a degree of shonk about most of us, but not him.’’

from a few years back: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/books/our-nobel-men-of-letters-crunch-the-numbers--and-close-the-books-20101007-168ro.html

FriendCatcher
Member Avatar
Acolyte
[ *  * ]
True Funhouse: never say never. But I do think it is much more likely that Les Murray would win it.

As to Patrick White, he seems to always be on the verge of a comeback in the States, but it never seems to get off the ground. Of course it's a shame, but it also means that it's pretty easy to find cheap secondhand copies around (which makes things a little better for me!).

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
mrs lopsided
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yes again, Friend. For me, White was a genius,; I can't usefully explain what I mean by resorting to such an overused descriptor so I won't try, but if Toibin, Oates, Murakami and others are considered Nobel worthy then so is Kinsella

Reading up thread I note Banville, ffs what are people thinking
Edited by oneofmurphysbiscuits, Sep 10 2016, 01:47 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply