Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Obituaries; of those who have shuffled off this mortal coil
Topic Started: Jan 11 2017, 12:20 PM (935 Views)
johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
making bets on kentucky derby day
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
nnyhav
May 26 2017, 10:53 AM
fuck! "I knew the name of every rain drop."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
making bets on kentucky derby day
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Man, that'a bummer...I don't usually get this bummed when famous people die or artists because so many kind and beautiful people die every day and why should I care more but sometimes of course....,.felt a kinship with him, esp. Jesus' Son, Angels, his poetry...I can't recommend those two legitimate American prose masterpieces enough...books I read young and spoke to me and right now revisiting them- they still do, still fucking do...I enjoyed all his work but as he become more mature and wrote "better" more sprawling mature works, I felt less of a kinship and so would forget about him as a a great american writer but man!...Tree of Smoke is a great Vietnam novel, Already Dead is a book that- thinking about it now - has much in common with Vineland...

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
johnnywalkitoff
May 26 2017, 06:30 PM
Man, that'a bummer...I don't usually get this bummed when famous people die or artists because so many kind and beautiful people die every day and why should I care more but sometimes of course....,.felt a kinship with him, esp. Jesus' Son, Angels, his poetry...I can't recommend those two legitimate American prose masterpieces enough...books I read young and spoke to me and right now revisiting them- they still do, still fucking do...I enjoyed all his work but as he become more mature and wrote "better" more sprawling mature works, I felt less of a kinship and so would forget about him as a a great american writer but man!...Tree of Smoke is a great Vietnam novel, Already Dead is a book that- thinking about it now - has much in common with Vineland...
thanks for writing this.

I have been meaning to check out his writing for a long time ... I did see Jesus' Son movie version with Billy Crudup which was pretty well-made.

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/16/558128240/richard-wilbur-renowned-american-poet-and-translator-dies-at-96
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/oct/16/sean-hughes-tributes-jokes-rhona-cameron-mark-steel

so shocking and so sad to hear this

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
nnyhav
Oct 16 2017, 07:20 PM
My choice of 'poem of the day' for my students today:

https://medium.com/poem-of-the-day/richard-wilbur-to-an-american-poet-once-dead-81093415328a

Edited by Funhouse, Oct 17 2017, 06:44 AM.

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
oneofmurphysbiscuits
Oct 17 2017, 02:57 AM
Way too young. Plus he always exuded youth and fun...

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply