Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nobel Prize 2017
Topic Started: Aug 23 2017, 10:58 PM (9,904 Views)
Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If that is a new publication then maybe, but if it is a translation (the recent English one ?) I doubt it increases his chances. I am not aware of any recent new publications but it appears I am wrong here.

With Chinese candidates, I think Can Xue has the best prospects (hence putting her as my second favourite), and there is a good chance that they will go with a novelist this year.

Personally I would prefer any one of the following Chinese women poets to win (mentioned last year);

Shu Ting
Zhai Yongming
Wang Xiao Ni

But I doubt the Academy has them on their radar, unfortunately.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

redhead
Member Avatar
books & beer
[ *  *  * ]
Interesting quote I found from Wästberg: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2011/12/22/do-we-need-nobel-exchange/

Typical complaining article, but in his response he says, "Be sure we read a select group of American, Canadian, and Australian writers continuously!"

Since this was written in 2011, both Munro and Dylan won, and both were likely part of that "select group." Could an Australian be on the way?

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
thanks red, forgot about that quote (its somewhere in our previous nobel threads), but more relevant now as you highlight

Malouf and Murnane are most on the Swedish radar I would say, the later for quite some time now.

Les Murray is not out of the question - was a strong contender in the past (high up on the betting list for eg)

However, I doubt it will be an Australian this year.
Edited by Didi, Sep 19 2017, 07:17 PM.

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
“Australian writers who have been mentioned recently as Prize candidates include Peter Carey, David Malouf, Gerald Murnane, and Les Murray. Tim Winton, Kate Grenville, Shirley Hazzard, and Brian Castro also might be thought to have plausible chances”
per (re-post)
http://antipodesjournal.blogspot.com/2011/03/will-australian-writer-win-nobel-prize.html

will be a pleasant surprise if Castro wins.
Winton is the dark horse amongst the Australians
Edited by Didi, Sep 19 2017, 07:39 PM.

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I will throw in my own choice of (neglected) Australian candidate: Thomas Shapcott

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Interesting that the blog mentions the "Australian Borges" Murray Bail as one to consider.

redhead
Member Avatar
books & beer
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for the names. Guess we can cross Shirley Hazzard off that...

And Winton is good, I really enjoyed Cloud Street and Breath, but I don't know if he's Nobel material. Might be too poppy, a la Murakami. But what do you think of Flanagan?

And out of the four Australians that usually come up, I'd say Murnane has the best chance now. Carey's recent books haven been awful. Malouf hasn't published much of note lately. And the only time I hear Murray's name is when looking at Nobel odds. He hasn't stopped publishing, but he hasn't increased his profile.

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nicholas provides an excellent assessment and here are the posts on Murray, Murnane, Malouf and Carey.

Les Murray

http://antipodesjournal.blogspot.com/2011/04/australian-nobel-prize-candidates-les.html

Gerald Murnane

http://antipodesjournal.blogspot.com/2011/04/australian-nobel-prize-candidates.html

David Malouf

http://antipodesjournal.blogspot.com/2011/04/australian-nobel-prize-candidates-david.html

Peter Carey

http://antipodesjournal.blogspot.com/2011/04/australian-nobel-prize-candidates-peter.html

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Flanagan is a consideration but little chance I would say although I did enjoy Gould's Book of Fish.

redhead
Member Avatar
books & beer
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for the links, although I will note they're from 2011.

Since then, Carey published The Chemistry of Tears, which is one of the worst books I've ever read, and his latest seems to be on par with that, while Murnane has had one of the most productive and acclaimed periods of his literary life so far (although I'm biased, since I really like his work). As for Murray and Malouf, you probably know more about them then me, but I get the feeling if the SA wanted to award them, they would've done it already (although I remember people saying similar things about Munro).
Edited by redhead, Sep 19 2017, 08:32 PM.

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yes agree with your points

I do think there is only one author from Australia who stands a true chance of winning when factoring in only what the Academy may be thinking and that is Murnane

although not this year

edit- Funhouse may provide a better perspective than me (esp on Flanagan), his knowledge/appreciation of Australian lit far exceeds mine.
Edited by Didi, Sep 19 2017, 08:57 PM.

johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
making bets on kentucky derby day
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Didi
Sep 19 2017, 08:38 PM

I do think there is only one author from Australia who stands a true chance of winning when factoring in only what the Academy may be thinking and that is Murnane

although not this year

edit- Funhouse may provide a better perspective than me (esp on Flanagan), his knowledge/appreciation of Australian lit far exceeds mine.
I think Murnane has a great chance probably next year - finally his collected short 'stories' (I assume new stuff along with out of print stuff like Velvet Waters, Emerald Blue...) and then his new book to be his last (I don't believe that....) released early next year...also, he's deserving, as in he writes good sentences, one after another...so much so that I'd rather him not read anything I've ever written...or will write...

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My personal favourite Australian (born) author stands little chance, very unlikely to be in the mix at all, but my favourite nevertheless: Louis Armand
I am looking forward to reading the monster book, his latest, sitting on TBR shelf.

sub-pet
Member Avatar
I have a pony
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Didi
Sep 19 2017, 10:13 PM
My personal favourite Australian (born) author stands little chance, very unlikely to be in the mix at all, but my favourite nevertheless: Louis Armand
I am looking forward to reading the monster book, his latest, sitting on TBR shelf.
this just reminds me why i hate this fucking thread: it would be so much more interesting if y'all just talked about the writers you actually like instead of trying to guess who some assholes are gonna entitle each year

aanyway, i call Pierre Senges for the year 2031

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Didi
Sep 19 2017, 10:13 PM
agreed that the Nobel committee would never select him!
which is not to say he isn't a fascinating writer
I look forward to what you have to say about
The Combinations . . .

of which I've read a little bit
and which I'll eventually get around to continuing

sub-pet
Member Avatar
I have a pony
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
suzannahhh
Sep 20 2017, 11:27 AM
I look forward to what you have to say about
The Combinations
is of course what i also meant above, didn't mean to sound harsh...

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Didi
Sep 19 2017, 08:38 PM

although not this year

Oooh, lots of talk of Australian writers...

I agree that almost certainly if it's going to be an Australian writer it'll be Murnane. Which would be a nice congruence of some assholes entitling someone that I actually really like (sub-pet!).

As for the others, I do see Les Murray as a legitimate contender (still), although they'd better hurry up as he's perpetually in ill health I believe.

Richard Flanagan is interesting. He's written one book that I think is terrible (The Unknown Terrorist), but he's coming off the Man Booker win for The Narrow Road to the Deep North, which could be considered his magnum opus. But I think the Booker win could actually work against him and although I actually was impressed with that novel it attracted some withering reviews as well as all the positive attention. He's got a new memoir coming out that I haven't yet read but that apparently plays with the form. I think that he's a contender but maybe not quite yet. His political involvement and the main thrust of his novels means he fits the "ideal direction" element very well.

David Malouf is someone I've mentioned in previous years. He writes poetry and essays as well as novels. He writes a mix of very local Australian material as well as more internationally oriented work like An Imaginary Life and Ransom. I think he's a beautiful writer and, Murnane aside, the best stylist of all of them. He'd be a more than worthy recipient.

I met Tim Winton last year and he's a really lovely guy who writes stuff that I like, but I don't really see him as a Nobel contender (although neither did I see fucking Dylan as one, so what the hell do I know).

I've read all of Peter Carey's recent stuff and I do think he's an excellent stylist, but yeah, I do think it hasn't maintained the standard of his earlier work. He hasn't dropped off as precipitously as someone like Rushdie, mind you. Another really great novel could put him back on the radar; he does have an impressive back catalogue.

Kim Scott has a new novel out, which is only his third, but I'd be pencilling him in for ten years time for sure.

Murray Bail, I don't think so. I've been meaning to read Brian Castro for years but haven't got around to it. He seems intriguing, but I think he's probably too obscure. Thomas Shapcott is an interesting suggestion but again I haven't really read much of his. He's a relative of one of my colleagues and I believe he's also in ill health and may not have much longer.

I haven't mentioned any women yet. Shirley Hazzard would have been a contender but as mentioned is no longer with us. Kate Grenville has something of an international profile, but I've been teaching The Secret River for a couple of years and I've really been seeing how thin it is. Someone like Sonya Hartnett, whom I really admire as a writer, probably wouldn't be taken seriously for the Nobel as she's been tarred by the YA label.

Probably the best chance amongst Australian women is Helen Garner who again would be a worthy choice. Her mix of novels and non-fiction makes her somewhat interesting as well.
Edited by Funhouse, Sep 20 2017, 07:43 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
given the propensity to expand the definition of "literature" (which precedes Dylan, to Svetlana Alexievich's literary journalism), I expect that the next American to be seriously considered for laureateship will be Ken Burns (most recently, https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n18/david-thomson/merely-an-empire)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cleanthes
Member Avatar
Dinanukht wannabe
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
nnyhav
Sep 21 2017, 11:45 AM
given the propensity to expand the definition of "literature" (which precedes Dylan, to Svetlana Alexievich's literary journalism), I expect that the next American to be seriously considered for laureateship will be Ken Burns (most recently, https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n18/david-thomson/merely-an-empire)
How about Robert Crumb?

redhead
Member Avatar
books & beer
[ *  *  * ]
We'll find out in exactly a week if the literature prize will be announced the 5th during Nobel week or on the 12th. I'm thinking the 5th. Also, any prediction for the other nobels?

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply