Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nobel Prize 2017
Topic Started: Aug 23 2017, 10:58 PM (13,581 Views)
Uemarasan
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
redhead
Sep 25 2017, 04:07 PM
We'll find out in exactly a week if the literature prize will be announced the 5th during Nobel week or on the 12th. I'm thinking the 5th. Also, any prediction for the other nobels?
Physics:

Kip Thorne and Rainer Weiss for gravitational waves.
Sumio Iijima for carbon nanotubes.
Hideo Hosono for iron-based superconductors.
Stephen Harris and Lene Hau for slow light.

Chemistry:

John Goodenough, M. Stanley Whittingham, and Akira Yoshino for lithium batteries (the ones I want the most to win).
Emmanuelle Charpentier, Jennifer Doudna, and Feng Zhang for CRISPR (can be for medicine).
Franz-Ulrich Hartl and Arthur Horwich for chaperones.
Alec Jeffreys for DNA fingerprinting (can be for medicine).

Medicine:

Mary-Claire King and Michael Stratton for BRCA1 and BRCA2.
Kazutoshi Mori and Peter Walter for unfolded protein response.
Alexander Rudensky, Shimon Sakaguchi, and Ethan Shevach for regulatory T cells.
Akira Endo for statin drugs.

Peace (I don't really care about this award)
Edited by Uemarasan, Sep 27 2017, 08:18 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It may be too early to discuss about another French winner (and there are many one can discuss) but I have been catching up on Francois Bon again, and I do think he will be a serious contender in years to come, with his themes, originality and web based (ideal ?) direction. Unfortunately no English translations as yet (the first is scheduled to be published in 2019). He is not (or very rarely) mentioned in this context, except he was (indirectly) with the sell-out/reprint of one of his previously published biographies in October last year.

The next French Nobel laureate I think will be, given the prevalence of her name over the past few years in Swedish circles, Marie Darrieussecq. An outstanding writer albeit limited reception in English. For English readers a few novels have been translated and her biography on Paula Modersohn-Becker has just been published in Australia.

Anyway probably last post pre-announcement (travels soon)
so Olga to win,
if not Can or Jamaica.

(MAO has posted some thoughts, interesting to see Mahmoud Dowlatabadi and Shahrnush Parsipur mentioned – although if they were to pick an Iranian they should have chosen Simin Daneshvar years back, but now too late).

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Didi
Aug 23 2017, 10:58 PM
Again I am hoping this year’s thread proves to be another successful one in terms of discovering some new authors/books.

Deemed success, have amassed quite a bit from this, some mentioned here some not: a large number of translated Asian poetry volumes, a few translated Arabic novels, a forgotten novel by a Caribbean legend, a greater appreciation (and obtaining all his works in Fr) of a Kurdish-Syrian writer….

And as a last post on this thread:

96 year old Nanos Valaoritis, the last direct living link to the founders of Surrealism
Publishing since just before ww2 (and still publishing in his 90s).

Here is the great man reading Homer in his own translation and the original Ancient Greek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7haO3a0Ig

No, he will not win the Nobel, and he cares not for such things, but if the unexpected arises, then I will think they are finally getting it.

Jacek
Member Avatar
a watery down
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Safe travels, Didi!

redhead
Member Avatar
books & beer
[ *  *  * ]
So it's Thursday...

Very little odds movement this year. Ko Un I think just had a jump, though. He's old enough that I had written him off, but his work is great enough that I hope the academy hasn't written him off.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My last-minute hat in the ring: Ngugi, Bouraoui or Hwang.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ishiguro. What an exciting, boundary-pushing choice.

So much for the theory that they gave it to Dylan to buy themselves the freedom to go however obscure they want.
Edited by Bjorn, Oct 5 2017, 06:16 AM.

redhead
Member Avatar
books & beer
[ *  *  * ]
Eh, I'm happy with the pick. Not my first choice, but I'm pleased

Bloß ein Língshān
Member Avatar
Tropften Fingernägel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Heya, Bjorn. Great to see you posting again. I lol'd at your twitter picture of the bingo and the library kiosk.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey, I like Ishiguro. He's a good writer. He's probably never written a bad novel. Everyone has seen a movie of his. He's... nice. I just think there could be a more exciting choice.

Also, that they chickened out and gave it to a Proper Writer who's written SF yet again. Though maybe that means he got the nod over Atwood and Murakami.

And thanks! I figured I had to get back at some point...

Bloß ein Língshān
Member Avatar
Tropften Fingernägel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's a shame they didn't give it to a "pure-SF" writer (god, I sound lame). But I have to remind myself that I've read what Danius' did he research on, which dead authors she admires, and it's not surprising she would be his partisan during the discussions.

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I like Ishiguro as well, and I’ve read most of his books, but I’m also not excited by this choice. Was he even on the radar as a candidate? Just looked back at when the Ladbrokes odds were posted on this thread and he wasn’t on the list, or did I miss him? Maybe this will prompt me to read his latest one...

sub-pet
Member Avatar
I have a pony
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"has uncovered the abyss beneath our illusory sense of connection with the world"

this just sounds like a comment on their failure to get Dylan to hang out with them last year

Bloß ein Língshān
Member Avatar
Tropften Fingernägel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sub-pet
Oct 5 2017, 07:16 AM
"has uncovered the abyss beneath our illusory sense of connection with the world"

this just sounds like a comment on their failure to get Dylan to hang out with them last year
And the Nobel Prize for Literature 2018 goes to sub-pet, "who, with his fiery one-liners, made the Swedish Academy go to bed in tears."

roger
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I usually pooh-pooh awards but I was suprised and pleased. A writer who's fun to read winning (?) joining a list of the gloomiest of the gloomy. Ishiguro is gloomy too come to think of it but in a mysterious, exhilarating way. There's always a sense of wonder.

And I've read all his novels. I didn't care for his last, Buried Giant, but the others I've loved in varying degrees. If I were qualified, I would proclaim that The Unconsoled is a masterpiece, today is a day I feel empowered to do so.

Edited by roger, Oct 5 2017, 07:37 AM.

Bloß ein Língshān
Member Avatar
Tropften Fingernägel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
While I have reservations with him as the winner, I do find it nice he's an author who everyone seems to have a different favorite book of.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
mrs lopsided
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
it's a daft and unremarkable choice

Cleanthes
Member Avatar
Dinanukht wannabe
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Having not read The Unconsoled, there's still some hope, but it doesn't look good. I've read two of his books and they were golden mediocrities. Underwhelmed by the general pop-py direction the prize has taken as of lately.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bloß ein Língshān
Member Avatar
Tropften Fingernägel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
oneofmurphysbiscuits
Oct 5 2017, 07:55 AM
it's a daft and unremarkable choice
I will say: your description of birthday foods was more enjoyable to read than listening to Danius proclaim Ishiguro's virtues in four languages!

Cleanthes, you might just love the book. That's what I'm saying about him being someone who everyone has a different favorite novel of (I can sense my English syntax failing me...).

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
mrs lopsided
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Danius’ own work as described looks to be ho hum,so perhaps not surprising that this is the best she aspires to for literature, but yes even so.
Edited by oneofmurphysbiscuits, Oct 5 2017, 09:14 AM.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply