Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nobel Prize 2017
Topic Started: Aug 23 2017, 10:58 PM (12,824 Views)
redhead
Member Avatar
books & beer
[ *  *  * ]
Well, for a change of pace, I'll say he wasn't exactly my first choice, but overall I'm happy with the pick. One of the better recent picks in my eyes.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Heteronym
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
redhead
Oct 9 2017, 10:37 AM
Well, for a change of pace, I'll say he wasn't exactly my first choice, but overall I'm happy with the pick. One of the better recent picks in my eyes.
A decade ago, I enjoyed reading The Remains of the Day. But I only know Ishiguro from that novel. These days, for a few years now, I don't care who wins; I don't follow the discussions, I don't try to guess. The probabilities of someone I've actually read and enjoyed winning are so slim, it's a waste of time and energy. I even forget it's that time of the year until I start seeing this thread rise like Lazarus.

I'm more fascinated by the fallout, the spectacle around the whole thing afterwards. So many columnists take the prize so seriously and think its behaviour and choices will have earth-shattering implications for the future of literature, it's so funny.

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Heteronym
Oct 9 2017, 04:12 PM
redhead
Oct 9 2017, 10:37 AM
A decade ago, I enjoyed reading The Remains of the Day. But I only know Ishiguro from that novel. These days, for a few years now, I don't care who wins; I don't follow the discussions, I don't try to guess. The probabilities of someone I've actually read and enjoyed winning are so slim, it's a waste of time and energy. I even forget it's that time of the year until I start seeing this thread rise like Lazarus.

I'm more fascinated by the fallout, the spectacle around the whole thing afterwards. So many columnists take the prize so seriously and think its behaviour and choices will have earth-shattering implications for the future of literature, it's so funny.
I concur completely, hetero

redhead
Member Avatar
books & beer
[ *  *  * ]
I enjoy the speculation because I enjoy award speculation in general, but yeah I know it could easily get annoying to others.

And yes, the hype around the prize is a bit ridiculous. Too many people (including me a few years ago) treated it as some big canon of authors when it's really just an award, only with more name recognition and a longer legacy.

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's just the award, the one everybody's heard of however little read, with a cachet not only from longevity but also by association with the awards in the sciences and the Peace Prize. It matters less to me as I've become better read (& speaking of canons, among my 10 fave 20c writers only Beckett chosen), and last year's fiasco almost put me off it entirely (this year merely a lost opportunity), but in terms of keeping literature alive to the general public it has no equal. Which is why squandering the legacy (downward arc upthread, turning it into just an award) irks me.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I find the month upon month second guessing, listings and meta/purported reasonings about to be inordinately tedious and having very little bearing on the books I read,i'm trying to remember if I've ever read an author on my own account and because they were a Nobel recipient andi'm not sure there is one. But it should count for something, if they're really as self important as all that (and here I mean the academy members) then it ought to matter; they ought/should be able to think about what they're saying in giving an award once given to Beckett to Ishiguro, it's casual impoverishment and an abdication by stealth of responsibilities avowed, not abjured.
Edited by oneofmurphysbiscuits, Oct 10 2017, 03:41 AM.

redhead
Member Avatar
books & beer
[ *  *  * ]
When I say it's just an award, I mean I don't treat it as some canon of select authors or anything like that. I mean I expect them to make some missteps, compromise choices, etc, and not create a list written in stone of the greatest authors since 1900 (I think any list that attempts such a task is doomed from the outset). The media circus surrounding it is important for literature as a whole, but so long as the writer is good, I don't care if they're obscure or world famous.

Ishiguro is more in that latter category. I've enjoyed a few of his novels, enough so that I'm pleased with his pick. I can see why many would consider him mediocre or dislike him, but I still like his work. I'd rank him above a bunch of the frontrunners this year, anyway. Does he tarnish the Nobel's legacy? I think most people can agree, even if they hate Ishiguro, he doesn't anymore than Russell, Churchill, Fo, Buck, Lewis, Dylan, or the '74 scandal. It would be great if every winner was comparable in quality to Beckett, but as someone who follows the speculation for fun, I feel that's just setting myself up for disappointment.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ishiguro doesn’t tarnish anything, no, red, and neither is the award a monolith or a canon set in stone,(I have always and would continue to oppose any such thinking and i’m strongly supposing that Dave would as well). What’s been squandered is a capacity for ingenuity in thinking, thus it’s the limitations of the Academy we’re annoyed by, not any author in particular :)

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yep, what biskit said

redhead
Member Avatar
books & beer
[ *  *  * ]
Ah I see, my mistake. Got no qualms with what you're saying, then

Bloß ein Língshān
Member Avatar
Tropften Fingernägel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I do think one feature of this year's laureate is it validates MFA programs, for whatever good that does.

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
only read one of his books long ago and from memory was reasonably good but not to the standard where I wanted to read more.

as per some others the benefit of speculation are the discoveries during that process (I have also added Edna O’Brien as an author to read as her name has popped up annually here and I am certain based on extracts that I will enjoy her works) and the winner has rarely prompted anything, and I am not planning to read anything further from this year’s winner

I see he has not been active recently apart from Buried Giant and since that exclusively songwriting....

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Whatever good that does...about covers it

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
How many Nobel prize winners have you read at least one entire book by per decade ?

Me:

1900: 1
10: 1
20: 4
30: 1
40: 4
50: 3
60: 4
70: 4
80: 4
90: 5
2000: 5
10: 5

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mandm
Nov 11 2017, 02:42 PM
How many Nobel prize winners have you read at least one entire book by per decade ?
okay, did it for giggles, found overall I've read half the laureates, huh:
1900: 1 / 10: 1 / 20: 4 / 30: 2 / 40: 4 / 50: 4 / 60: 7 / 70: 6 / 80: 8 / 90: 7 / 2000: 7 / 10: 5

Cleanthes
Member Avatar
Dinanukht wannabe
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Feel a bit silly posting this, but games are often silly:

1901-10: 5 // 11-20: 5 // 21-30: 6 // 31-39: 5 // 44-50: 4 // 51-60: 4 // 61-70: 6 // 71-80: 7 // 81-90: 6 // 91-2000: 3 // 2001-10: 7 // 11-17: 5

The 90s are the less appealing decade to me, laureate-wise.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, of course it is silly. And I'll try to avoid become a gamesmaster... the reason I counted really was to see how 'canonical' (cringe) my reading has been. Silly thing in itself, really.

This Guardian article has some mainly predictable suggestions on expanding the canon. Feels like this debate hasn't moved on enough in twenty years or so...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/nov/11/black-and-minority-ethnic-books-authors-on-decolonising-the-canon-university-english-literature-syllabus

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, I'll play. I've been making more of an effort with recent winners...

1900: 1
20: 3
30: 2
40: 3
50: 2
60: 3
70: 4
80: 3
90: 5
2000: 6
10: 8

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hmmm. If I count individual poems (that I distinctly remember) as opposed to full collections, and at least one that I gave up on halfway through a novel.

1900: 3
20: 3
30: 0
40: 2
50: 2
60: 1
70: 5
80: 5
90: 3
2000: 6
10: 8

Some really embarrassing holes in my reading, especially during the 30s-60s.

param
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Here I go.. first half of last century, a lot of reading to do.

1900s : 1
10 : 2
20 : 2
30: 4
40 : 2
50 : 4
60 : 8
70 : 3
80 : 3
90 : 7
00 : 9
10 : 7

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply