Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Help me; spend money on poetry
Topic Started: Sep 14 2011, 12:02 AM (1,644 Views)
Jayaprakash
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've been reading more and more poetry over the last 3 or 4 years, initially on my own initiative and then Marcel's many poetical enthusiasms helped fuel the fire. So tell me, which doorstop sized Collected Poems should I expend huge chunks of my increasingly negligible income on? Restrict your recommendations to the 20th century and later. I'll automatically discount anything I already have, don't worry about that.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
J H Prynne

You'll most likely have heard of all my other suggestions, Jay, and i don't read much poetry as of now, still less do i like to talk about it, but

John Clare. Hopkins, Celan
Geoffrey Hill, John Kinsella, i havent read Eavan Boland in a very long time, but Eavan Boland. And see what you can find of J H Prynne

Deleted User
Deleted User

Granted, I recommend these for obvious reasons but you NEED these collected poems

The LoA edition of Elizabeth Bishop
Robert Lowell's Collected
James Merrill's collected and changing light at sandover, both out in gorgeous pbs
john berryman's collected & the dream songs

frank o'hara's collected
james wright's collected
frank bidart's In the Western Night: Collected Poems 1965-90
donald justice's collected
the first volume of creeley's collected (The Collected Poems of Robert Creeley, 1945-1975)
lorine niedecker's "collected works"
mark doty's new collected (fire to fire)
richard hugo's collected (making certain it goes on)
anselm berrigan's collected!! such an underrated poet
kenneth rexroth's collected

more maybe when I'm at home.
Quote Post Goto Top

Jayaprakash
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks and it's okay if I have/have heard of something you'd like to suggest.

Deleted User
Deleted User

The two volumes of selected Schwartz are a must have (!! you can't not love them)

John Wheelwright's Collected
Quote Post Goto Top

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
all volumes Alice Notley
all volumes of the Drafts of Rachel Blau Duplessis
Derek Walcott
Les Murray Fredy Neptune, particularly
Anne Waldman - Jovis

Jacek
Member Avatar
magus perdé
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
He's not well-liked here in the Woods, for reasons I cannot fathom or understand, but I've never yet made a better purchase of poetry than the Collected Poems of W.B. Yeats.

Flower
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
I wish I had extra money to go spend on poety!

but keep those suggestions coming....and I shall gladly come back to this thread...green with envy.... :confused: :)

personally I have my eyes on several works by Keats...but thats just me...

Jayaprakash
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Marcel didn't mention these probably because he knows I have read them: Richard Wilbur, CP Cavafy, Philip Larkin.

They're remembered as 'war poets' but Rupert Brooke and Wilfred Owen are both important poets beyond their subject matter, I think.

I've also liked what I've read of Osip Mandelstam and Pessoa's various heteronymic poems.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Jayaprakash
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Flower
Sep 14 2011, 07:56 AM
I wish I had extra money to go spend on poety! <br />
So do I. :)

alliknowis
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Apart from some already listed (Yeats, Merrill, Bishop, Hopkins, Celan) I'd off the top of my head add recommendations for Cesar Vallejo, Czeslaw Milosz, Zbigniew Herbert, Derek Walcott, Christopher Logue, Paul Muldoon, Ted Hughes, Michael Longley, and Richard Howard...I think with all of those you can find a big Collected volume (even if not up to date for Muldoon, and for Logue you'd need War Music plus All Day Permanent Red and Cold Calls).

Deleted User
Deleted User

I own two gorgeous paperbacks with collected poems by Cesare Pavese and Montale, which are both quite excellent.

Adrienne Rich's Fact of a Doorframe is the rare thick selected poems volume coming out of 1970s feminist poetry that is truly excellent.

JV Cunningham's collected poems are just as essential and breathtaking as Edgar Bowers' and Louise Bogan's. I swear to God you will love all three.

Edwin Morgan's Collected Poems, also excellent in many places. Thom Gunn, too.

Did I mention the excellent John Wheelwright.

Jean valentine's collected poems is oftentimes strange, but thoroughly excellent. Alfred Corn's selected poems is quite good.

As to other recommendations in this thread, I don't think you would like Blau DuPlessis, but you can google her and find a few of her "drafts" poems online. Tell me if you like her, but I would be surprised. stay away from her criticism. speaking of criticism, I know the man has yet to publish a collected or selected volume of his work, and so it's strictly speaking off topic, but anything by JD McClatchy you can get your hands on, get it. Criticism or poetry.

Listen to alliknowis. Richard Howard's collected is a treasure trove of awesomeness, as is the THICK, juicy collection of Herbert. MIlosz, I'm less of a fan, but in many places still excellent.

as for cavafy, check the thread, two new collections have just come out, with oodles of unpublished material.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Anybody mention Milton or George Herbert? YOu can get the english poems by john milton for about 2 bucks. MILTON.
Quote Post Goto Top

johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
making bets on kentucky derby day
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
the first names that came to mind weren't doorstoppers (last night I was gonna respond, but I figured I'd let somebody else do the heavy lifting...they didn't let me down): Elizabeth Bishop and Hart Crane.

Frank O'Hara, James Schuyler, Koch, Ashberry, Ted Berrigan (his partner was Alice Notley), (the 'new york' school and descendents...Harold Norse is a fantastic poet, a little beat)...Oppen, Rakosi...(Lorine Neidecker is the best "objectivist' poet...whatever that means, she writes such beautiful poems like Basho)

Ted Hughes is a great poet and his Collected Poems is fucking huge.

I'd also really recommend Robinson Jeffers. He's great. Marianne Moore...I really like. Bukowski (you either love or hate him, I think...he's written so much, so it's a little hit and miss, but his work from like 1950-85 is mostly great)/

David Jones, Basil Bunting, Geoffrey Hill, Muldoon, Heaney. (David jones wrote In Parenthesis, a Masterpiece).

Williams has a complete poems in two volumes. He sees so clear and deep. I love Williams.

Dylan Thomas...one of my first poetic idols, I read a new introduction to his collected poems by paul muldoon and he sort of compares thomas to yeats, which i find misleading, Thomas seems to not have as many poetic phases (i.e Yeats with his damn gyres and mediums, his rage (seee "The Spuur"---I'm a dirty old man poem), his political poetry, war, etc.) but that's a good thing Thomas is more various within the same work than Yeats. Sad, religious, ecstatic, lustful, musical as lightning...

Ok...so many more. Yvor Winters because I don't think anybody will mention him.

Sorry it's so full of white mostly American men.

Deleted User
Deleted User

johnnywalkitoff
Sep 14 2011, 03:51 PM
Sorry it's so full of white mostly American men.
Who are a cut above the rest, anyway, :)

Why should we always fucking apologize?
Quote Post Goto Top

Jayaprakash
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's the circumcision thing, right?

A few Indian poets I like: Keki Daruwalla, A.K. Ramanujam, Dom Moraes. I need to read more Indian poetry in general, but I'm pretty certain I've found everything I have read by these three rewarding.

Jayaprakash
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Canox
Sep 14 2011, 09:47 AM
Anybody mention Milton or George Herbert? YOu can get the english poems by john milton for about 2 bucks. MILTON.
20th century.

But yes, MILTON.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jayaprakash
Sep 14 2011, 09:20 PM
It's the circumcision thing, right?
Hahaha.

From myself, if my recommendation(s) stand for anything in your eyes, I will mention these.

- Donald Hall

- Cid Corman: his two-volume collection Of is out of print and insanely expensive, but see if you can find it: you will be transformed

- Cathal O Searcaigh. Sorry, nothing doorstop-sized here, but pick up almost any collection and swoon over the sensuality of it all.

- Seamus Heaney

- Boleslaw Lesmian. Nothing in English, I don't think, but see if he's been translated into a language which you can read. (I am lucky, in this regard, to have Russian).

The Russians I hesitate to recommend because I can't stand translations (from those languages I am familiar with, anyway, :) ) But favorites would probably include Tsvetaeva, Yesenin, Sosnora, and the omnipresent Anna A.

Oh, and the odd Calvinist Cornishman Jack Clemo. Gobble. Him. Up.
Quote Post Goto Top

Jayaprakash
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If this is a good representation of Blau DuPlessis' work I'm not sure why I should not be interested: http://rachelblauduplessis.com/poetry-online/draft-27-athwart/

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jayaprakash
Sep 14 2011, 10:04 PM
If this is a good representation of Blau DuPlessis' work I'm not sure why I should not be interested: http://rachelblauduplessis.com/poetry-online/draft-27-athwart/

well, good for you. and yes it is. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply