Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Welcome to the forum!
Topic Started: Nov 20 2006, 03:23 AM (13,721 Views)
Bleak
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Dear Modern Word readers,

This is Erik, Contributing Editor of the Modern Word. I have been talking about making a forum for the site for *ages* with the Quail, but I never really found a satisfactory solution that my limited technical ability could handle.

For the moment, this is a semi-official forum until the Quail gets back from vacation and gives me the go-ahead to really link this up throughout the site, but, well, here it is. Enjoy!

Your admin,
Bleakhaus
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

R.Wilder
Member Avatar
Acolyte
[ *  * ]
Is this forum brand-spanking new? I found it after I picked up my copy of "Against the Day" and started peeking around the 'net to find a discussion group.
Wiki had a link.

Bleak
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Yeah, launched just a day or two before ATD came out. The Modern Word was getting so many hits off of its ATD countdown that launching the forum then made sense. Congrats on being the first user besides me to figure out how to post an icon...!

R.Wilder
Member Avatar
Acolyte
[ *  * ]
It took me a half hour to do it, though.

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have been participating on a different
invision site
for over a year now
I know how to use all the bells and whistles
should anyone
have any questions

Alex
Member Avatar
Glorious Imperator
[ *  *  * ]
Thank you so much, man. B)

Mudfrost
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Late to the game. Just recently stumbled upon this forum and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Good people, it seems, and excellent topics. Thanks for the space. I hope we're here to stay.

Narmin Kamal
Member Avatar
Nice to meet your forum.
I great u from Azerbaijan, Baku.
Hello, new friends. I hope it unite in friendship and will be very interesting discussions here.

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Narmin, welcome!
glad to have you join us

Heteronym
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi everyone, I frequent a couple of literature forums already, and got invited to this one yesterday. Lots of great threads already available for most of my favorite writers, it looks great.

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
repeating my welcome
from the thread in which you made your first posting

hetero
really glad to have
active posters here

keep it up!

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Heteronym:

Hello and Welcome !

Porphry
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Hi, didn't know where else to ask this: when I reply to a PM, should the folder 'sent items' show that I sent a PM? I sent a reply recently, but my 'sent items' shows empty.
Thanks.

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Porphry

only if the box by this line
at the bottom

Quote:

Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder

is checked
AND your Pm folder Messages received and sent
is below 100% filled

Porphry
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
thanks! that clears that up.

Troutbum
Member Avatar
Misspellr of 'Tom'
[ *  *  * ]
Hi all.

I understand from browsing here that few of you either occasionally look in on, or are members of WLF. I’m ‘promtbr’ of WLF and Lit Net.

Thanks for letting me onboard. I’ve long wondered if there existed a Lit Forum mostly consisting of members formerly or currently having academic backgrounds (more ‘pros’ than ‘amateurs’). I thought maybe there existed an unspoken rule or internet filter that lit bloggers/forum posters could only synopsize plots (emoticon)

I’m a Beckett freako (on a VERY amateur level), but not exclusively so. His WFG was one of the biggest single written word influences on my waking life. Among other favs are Woolf, Bruno Schulz, Proust, Grass, the Big D.. lets see, Barthelme, and am missing some. I not long ago encountered some Arno Schmidt and I think he and I may get more acquainted. Doesn’t mean I have read much of any listed, as I quit reading ANY lit right after college (your basic BA in comparative lit in 83')

I am way too under read to contribute much now, due to a 25 year literary ‘coma’. I am currently trying to rectify that with an ambitious TBR list to fill in the gaps. Been busy doing the paterfamilias thing...Live in small town usa in the rural Pacific NW the closest thing to be considered any exposure to lit culture would be...Mariylnne Robinson lived here for a while and this is the fictionalized setting for her first novel Housekeeping. Lets see, Sherman Alexie lives (or used to) not far at all and gave a reading here-(very funny dude).

---

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi there Troutbum
(whadda moniker!)

You'll find many
voracious reading companions here
most of whom are major Beckett fans
and we have one resident expert Beckettian
that would be murphy's biscuit

we
(I take that "we" back:
I'll only speak for myself here)
I think Beckett's prose
is more fantastic even than his drama

Troutbum
Member Avatar
Misspellr of 'Tom'
[ *  *  * ]
suzannahhh
May 5 2009, 11:02 AM
and we have one resident expert Beckettian
that would be murphy's biscuit

we
(I take that "we" back:
I'll only speak for myself here)
I think Beckett's prose
is more fantastic even than his drama

Thanks, yeah, I and murphysbiscuits (as spoool) have exchanged Beckett luv on WLF..sorry I may have missed a 'o' or two...

SB's prose in Murphy and Watt floors me... have yet to read his later stuff, and re-reading him caused my whole un-renouncing literature movement (while forcing me to actually finally read Dante etc..)

I have just ordered Ricks Beckett lectures on spoool's (I mean biscuit's) former recommendation), but it I am ways off before I dive in again (more 'prep' needed on my part)

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yea the Rick's book is great
and Beckett's later stuff
jus totally off the wall splendiferous

(I'm happy to know biscuit's WLF name
I don't have one
as I have no time for another forum
given how much of my time this one takes
and I think I'd go over rather poorly there
with certain members
what with my short lines
and other cronish tendencies. . .

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Welcome to the woods, troutbum. There's lots of interesting stuff if you have a bit of a poke around. It's good when new members come in and kick start threads that have fallen dormant.

You'll find the tone is more irreverent than the WLF. Stewart's done a great job with the WLF, and it fulfills its role well, but places develop their own atmosphere, and I just feel a bit more comfortable in these woods.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply