Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Welcome to the forum!
Topic Started: Nov 20 2006, 03:23 AM (13,208 Views)
Troutbum
Member Avatar
Misspellr of 'Tom'
[ *  *  * ]
Hi all.

I understand from browsing here that few of you either occasionally look in on, or are members of WLF. I’m ‘promtbr’ of WLF and Lit Net.

Thanks for letting me onboard. I’ve long wondered if there existed a Lit Forum mostly consisting of members formerly or currently having academic backgrounds (more ‘pros’ than ‘amateurs’). I thought maybe there existed an unspoken rule or internet filter that lit bloggers/forum posters could only synopsize plots (emoticon)

I’m a Beckett freako (on a VERY amateur level), but not exclusively so. His WFG was one of the biggest single written word influences on my waking life. Among other favs are Woolf, Bruno Schulz, Proust, Grass, the Big D.. lets see, Barthelme, and am missing some. I not long ago encountered some Arno Schmidt and I think he and I may get more acquainted. Doesn’t mean I have read much of any listed, as I quit reading ANY lit right after college (your basic BA in comparative lit in 83')

I am way too under read to contribute much now, due to a 25 year literary ‘coma’. I am currently trying to rectify that with an ambitious TBR list to fill in the gaps. Been busy doing the paterfamilias thing...Live in small town usa in the rural Pacific NW the closest thing to be considered any exposure to lit culture would be...Mariylnne Robinson lived here for a while and this is the fictionalized setting for her first novel Housekeeping. Lets see, Sherman Alexie lives (or used to) not far at all and gave a reading here-(very funny dude).

---
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Troutbum
Member Avatar
Misspellr of 'Tom'
[ *  *  * ]
suzannahhh
May 5 2009, 11:02 AM
and we have one resident expert Beckettian
that would be murphy's biscuit

we
(I take that "we" back:
I'll only speak for myself here)
I think Beckett's prose
is more fantastic even than his drama

Thanks, yeah, I and murphysbiscuits (as spoool) have exchanged Beckett luv on WLF..sorry I may have missed a 'o' or two...

SB's prose in Murphy and Watt floors me... have yet to read his later stuff, and re-reading him caused my whole un-renouncing literature movement (while forcing me to actually finally read Dante etc..)

I have just ordered Ricks Beckett lectures on spoool's (I mean biscuit's) former recommendation), but it I am ways off before I dive in again (more 'prep' needed on my part)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply