Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Welcome to the forum!
Topic Started: Nov 20 2006, 03:23 AM (13,199 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Hi everybody,

Living in the heart of Europe, having a tiny obessesion for Dalkey Archive and awfully underread, thats me :) I like Pynchon, DeLillo, Bolano for example and right now I am reading mostly contemporary Polish and Czech writers.

I am not exactly a WLF deserter, more like someone who want to tip his toes into the waters of "the woods" to see where it is deeper; or warmer :)
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thomas Hounds
Jul 16 2011, 12:39 PM
Salutations to you. I hope the place is to your liking.
Thank you :)

Well, me too :) but I guess I will get used to it to swim in the cold water with the sharks; and if not I will stay on the beach under an umbrella :)
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jacek
Jul 16 2011, 01:53 PM
nightwood
Jul 16 2011, 12:31 PM
right now I am reading mostly contemporary Polish and Czech writers.
Right on, dude! Who for example?

Recently Pavel Brycz, Michal Ajvaz, Jan Balaban and Petra Hulova from the Czech Republic. From Poland Olga Tokarczuk, Jerzy Ficowski for example but also bought Witold Gombrowicz and Jaroslaw Iwaskiewicz (okay those folks are not exactly contemporary) and have a couple of others already bookmarked for myself.

Have read only Balaban in Czech (my language skills are still a bit weak) and the others in English translation.

The Twisted Spoon Press is a local one and I start to like them, the authors are a bit similar like those Dalkey publishes so it´s the right stuff for me. Like it a bit "experimental", don´t need exactly a plot or a straightforward prose.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I am not quite sure if this is really the best place to discuss the further developments of Polish Literature but so be it for the time being.

Jacek, I take it for granted that you are a Pole living abroad as you were using the words "back home" ?!

I know the window is wide open to lean out now but this is what I will do: Tokarczuk has already won a couple of prizes, been translated into several languages and seems to become more and more popular, and justly so. My guess is that she will be due for more awards with an even higher prestige then the NIKE.

Have read only "House of Day, House of Night" so far and enjoyed the novel a lot. Her rather surrealist, kind of magic realism style is very original and unique IMHO even one needs a lot of time and a couple of quiet hours as there is not much of a plot to unfold or a center which the book circles around, or better said it does so very slowly.

Yesterday I have started "Primeval and other times" and it seems to be on the same track, more a collection of narratives then a novel in the traditional sense. But I am only something like 30 pages into the book so far but as you surely can imagine now I enjoy her spare prose and hold her in high esteem.

Forget to mention Magda Tulli. Didn not read her yet but what I read about her sounds very, very interesting and appealing and I am pretty sure she will become one of my best friends.

Tadeusz Konwicki is also a very interessting writer I like: "The Polish Complex" was a fantastic read and "A Minor Apocalypse" is already waiting on top of my pile of books to be read soon. I am already dying to read ALL of his books.

Learning Polish is high on my list of things to-do. I can read it only minor, with a lot of patience and time until now (but never was able to pronounce it). Simply would love it to read them all in the original language, something for the years to come.
Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply