Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Welcome to the forum!
Topic Started: Nov 20 2006, 03:23 AM (13,180 Views)
Jolanta
Member Avatar
Christabel LaMotte
[ *  *  * ]
Hello,
As I am already a member here for the last two days, and have made my first entry today, it´s about time to introduce myself :)

My name is Jolanta but please call me Jola as all my friends do. I am 30, a single mom of a 5-year-old daughter and hailing from Poland. My favourite writers are Virginia Woolf but cannot decide if I like ´Mrs Dalloway´ or ´To the lighthouse´ better, Katherine Mansfield (her ´Collected Stories´ are on my bedside table and read them again and again), A.S.Byatt (love ´Possession´ like almost nothing else) and Marcel Proust (whose ´In search of lost time´ is a looong-term project of mine and hope I will finish one day). Also the poetry of Czesław Miłosz and Wisława Szymborska I like very much and re-read them often.

I am currently reading for the first time Thomas Pynchon ´Against the day´ and looking online for help I stumbled upon this forum as his prose is right now overwhelming and I am not sure what I am reading exactly but I am very much impressed. I have checked out other forums as well but I think I like it here best. It seems much friendlier and cozier and much nicer discussion in comparison of what I have seen from other places.

RIght now I don´t read so much any more, with job and raising my daughter I have only time to read before bedtime but I always spend an hour doing so. I love it and need books to survive.

And please have a little bit of patience with me as I am really new to a forum but I am happy to be here. Also thank you very much to the admin for the fast approval.

Jola
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolanta
Member Avatar
Christabel LaMotte
[ *  *  * ]
Thank you everyone for the warm and nice welcome.

Flower, yes I have seen the discussion about Keats but I am not familiar with his poetry or the others you have mentioned. Not yet that is but I am sure I will dive into them in the years to come. I am afraid I have never heard of or read any Catalan writers. Personally I am very drawn for some reasons to the English and there are many more I want to try out. Hilary Mantel is one of them, also I have enjoyed the books by Julian Barnes very much. ´The sense of an ending´, ´Flaubert´s Parrot´ or ´Nothing to be frightend of´.

Suzannahhh, I am intrigued by ´Gravity´s Rainbow´ and I definitely want to read this one as well. I am normally a very confident reader but Mr Pynchon is doing something to my head but I am not sure what and how. I have also browsed through the main section about him yesterday but if I really want to read all the topics raised before I have finished ´Against the Day´ I am not so sure as I am afraid it might spoil my reading pleasure too much. But still a reader´s guide is very useful so I am thankful for your contributions for me to look up.

Funhouse, Indeed I am sure it is and will be dangerous to be here. I don´t read so many different writers but rather stick to a few I enjoy and love and try to make my way around them and read as much as possible written by them. I always want to find out how they think and why and what drives their writing. Obviously there are many I have not read, not even heard about but of course I have read many more as those mentioned already.

Thank you also very much Byrd9999, Biscuits/Sharon and TonyH :)

Jola
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply