Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What book are you reading now?
Topic Started: Dec 3 2006, 09:07 PM (253,515 Views)
sub-pet
Member Avatar
I have a pony
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jayaprakash
May 27 2012, 06:21 AM
sub-pet
May 27 2012, 05:31 AM
Jayaprakash
May 26 2012, 10:57 PM
Fantasy has too few mad, magical stylists these days but Valente surely is counted among their numbers.

who would be the best ones of this type of stuff?

"mad acid trip through words and worlds" sounds great.
Contemporary? Jeff VanderMeer, although he can be uneven. Definitely read Veniss Underground and City of Saints and Madmen. Anna Tambour, who has one excellent novel, Spotted Lilly and a short story collection as well as a new novel on the way. Kelly Link! She's a genius. YMMV with Karen Russell, I didn't take to her work but I can see why people do. Going back to the classics, definitely Lord Dunsany, albeit more lyrical than lysergic and A Voyage To Arcturus by David Lindsay. Oh and although considered more horror, Joseph Pulver!

*(+ Smith)
Thanks, vandermeer is the only familiar name in these. & yeah any time period will do
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jayaprakash
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
oneofmurphysbiscuits
May 27 2012, 07:29 AM
thanks also for your recommendations, Bjorn :) And i must read Kellly Link, but i think VanderMeer's limited, very. City of Saints and Madmen, yeah, beyond that, not so much
Do try and read Tambour's Spotted Lilly if you can. Lots of food and one of the best appearances by the Devil in a novel since The Master And Margarita.

Jayaprakash
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well no. Maybe not one of the best. How the fuck am I supposed to know? One of my favourite though.

Jolanta
Member Avatar
Christabel LaMotte
[ *  *  * ]
Bjorn
May 27 2012, 05:58 AM
Tstitsi Dangarembga's Nervous Conditions is brilliant.

Another female writer who's impressed me a lot is Calixthe Beyala from Cameroon. Not sure if she's been translated into English, though. Véronique Tadjo from Cote d'Ivoire is very good too.

There's a list here of the 100 greatest African books of the 20th century that contains some real gems.
Thanks for the thumps up and the link :)

I have taken a look via Amazon on some of those mentioned plus found some more via their recommendations and Google but it seems to boil down to only a few names who seem to be interesting. Just need to take a closer look and select of what to buy in near or far future of those twenty books I have put on my wish list. A whole new world is opening up before me. Wonderful!

Beyala is available in English (and ten books by Tadjo), which I prefer over French or German with my lack of practice and long-forgotten vocabulary in those languages.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jayaprakash
May 27 2012, 08:44 AM
oneofmurphysbiscuits
May 27 2012, 07:29 AM
thanks also for your recommendations, Bjorn :) And i must read Kellly Link, but i think VanderMeer's limited, very. City of Saints and Madmen, yeah, beyond that, not so much
Do try and read Tambour's Spotted Lilly if you can. Lots of food and one of the best appearances by the Devil in a novel since The Master And Margarita.

I shall do, thanks Jay :)

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wittgenstein's Poker: The Story of a Ten-Minute
Argument Between Two Great Philosophers

[Wittgenstein and Popper]
by David Edmonds & John Eidinow

and a bibliography to more
about the philosophers
and Jews in Austria
in the time of Franz Josef

orlando
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I enjoyed that one Suzannahhh in earlyish Wittgenstein days for me.

I found it fascinating two such thinkers could act so.
Edited by orlando, May 28 2012, 12:04 PM.

Elie
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Got most of the way through Season Of Migration To The North by Tayeb Salih on the plane today. Really enjoying it so far, very easy to read and quite illuminating on a culture which is pretty alien to me.

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
TonyH
May 28 2012, 11:59 AM
I enjoyed that one Suzannahhh in earlyish Wittgenstein days for me.

I found it fascinating two such thinkers could act so.
it's got me looking at histories of anti-Semitism
[golly but they are expensive]. . .

orlando
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
suzannahhh
May 28 2012, 01:12 PM
it's got me looking at histories of anti-Semitism
[golly but they are expensive]. . .
Yes, makes sense -- I seem to remember they talk of Karl Kraus which I enjoyed.
Edited by orlando, May 28 2012, 01:26 PM.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Elie
May 28 2012, 12:25 PM
Got most of the way through Season Of Migration To The North by Tayeb Salih on the plane today. Really enjoying it so far, very easy to read and quite illuminating on a culture which is pretty alien to me.
I liked that one. Heart Of Darkness in reverse, sort of kind of almost.

I just started Dinaw Mengestu's How To Read The Air, and 20-odd pages in it looks promising.

Quote:

If you say America enough times, if you try to picture it enough times, you'll end up with a couple of skyscrapers in the middle of a cornfield with thousands of cars driving round and around the whole thing.

Elie
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Bjorn
May 28 2012, 03:22 PM
Elie
May 28 2012, 12:25 PM
I liked that one. Heart Of Darkness in reverse, sort of kind of almost.
I'd not really thought of it like that. Heart Of Darkness is one I've not read for a long time, might have to pick that up again soon.

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Natural, Bernard Malamud

byrd
Member Avatar
byrd is the wyrd
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Funhouse
May 29 2012, 12:17 AM
The Natural, Bernard Malamud
I've thought about picking this up several times. I love the movie, although i'm not necessarily expecting the film to have been a faithful adaptation, so i'd like to know what you think of it.

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
it's Nobelaurate time; starting with Camilo Jose Cela's San Camilo, 1936 (total immersion in Madrid just before Civil War [pondering dos Passos influence]), with Kadare, White and Symborska in the queue

Deleted User
Deleted User

nnyhav
May 29 2012, 11:35 AM
it's Nobelaurate time; [...] with Kadare, [...] in the queue
oh, is it already speculation time? :)
Quote Post Goto Top

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
White,Edmund? {{{{{{{{Dave}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

i actually give a toss now, which is to say that if Laszlo ever wins, i'll be very happy because a beloved writer won the Nobel, but it isnt something i think about very often, certainly not in connection with Sam or Faulkner

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
suzannahhh
May 28 2012, 10:21 AM
Wittgenstein's Poker: The Story of a Ten-Minute
Argument Between Two Great Philosophers

[Wittgenstein and Popper]
by David Edmonds & John Eidinow

and a bibliography to more
about the philosophers
and Jews in Austria
in the time of Franz Josef

Saying again *smiling* Ray Monk's biography {{{{{{{{{{Suz}}}}}}}]]]]

And i remember blathering on - to complete "silence" - about Karl Kraus, in an online poetry workshop once (i only participated in about two of the things, and in the other i was told off for failure to observe powertripped protocols and for saying that i thought the poem selected for discussion was crap (forgotten it now) but there it is, *smiling*
Edited by oneofmurphysbiscuits, May 29 2012, 12:00 PM.

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
finished the Poker
and yes I do have Monk's bio
sitting on the shelf . . .

orlando
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes I liked Monk too.

You like Kraus then Sharon? If i'd been there I'd have replied.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply