Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What book are you reading now?
Topic Started: Dec 3 2006, 09:07 PM (245,821 Views)
nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
BirneHelene
May 29 2012, 11:41 AM
nnyhav
May 29 2012, 11:35 AM
it's Nobelaurate time; [...] with Kadare, [...] in the queue
oh, is it already speculation time? :)
oops, but yes, that will serve as prediction (confused w/ the MIB, no not men in black man int'l booker)

and no, {{{{{Sharon}}}}}, Patrick
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
no more than I like Pound the man, Tony, but at the time i'd been reading, propelling my studies in that direction and so happened upon Kraus(via Benjamin and Witt.) and iwas at least interested. In different ways, both he and Pound give me pause when i think about my own attitudes to language (as a lefty modernist) :)

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
right you are Dave, i'm with you now :)

Elie
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
BirneHelene
May 29 2012, 11:41 AM
nnyhav
May 29 2012, 11:35 AM
it's Nobelaurate time; [...] with Kadare, [...] in the queue
oh, is it already speculation time? :)
I was thinking about it earlier and dug up last year's thread - didn't start then til late July.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Elie
May 29 2012, 02:23 PM
I was thinking about it earlier and dug up last year's thread - didn't start then til late July.
ah, ok, so we have to be patient a bit :)

speaking of K., the one from Hungary, of course everybody here can easily figure that I would appreciate if he got all the attention possible, including prizes, but to be honest, I am so glad about the man that I do not care at all if they give him a knighthood or whatever. I am perfectly fine if there are a few other "kind and sensitive, lonely and weary" readers around the world who read him ;)
Quote Post Goto Top

Elie
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
BirneHelene
May 29 2012, 03:42 PM
Elie
May 29 2012, 02:23 PM
ah, ok, so we have to be patient a bit :)
Maybe. You and I can always start speculating amongst ourselves if we can't wait :laugh:

Elie
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Not that I have anything more constructive to say 'Can Milan Kundera win it this year please'.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Elie
May 29 2012, 03:45 PM
Not that I have anything more constructive to say 'Can Milan Kundera win it this year please'.
you could say that of course, but you would get the same answer as every year: no :laugh: (well maybe... :) )
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

One of the reasons why I am looking forward to the nobel speculation: I hope Alliknowis will come up with an updated version of his incredible comprehensive list of favorites that might give more reading recommendations for the following year :)
Quote Post Goto Top

orlando
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
oneofmurphysbiscuits
May 29 2012, 01:55 PM
no more than I like Pound the man, Tony, but at the time i'd been reading, propelling my studies in that direction and so happened upon Kraus(via Benjamin and Witt.) and iwas at least interested. In different ways, both he and Pound give me pause when i think about my own attitudes to language (as a lefty modernist) :)
Yes, can understand that.

alliknowis
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
BirneHelene
May 29 2012, 04:37 PM
One of the reasons why I am looking forward to the nobel speculation: I hope Alliknowis will come up with an updated version of his incredible comprehensive list of favorites that might give more reading recommendations for the following year :)
Haha I got you., no doubt

Elie
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
alliknowis
May 30 2012, 12:13 PM
BirneHelene
May 29 2012, 04:37 PM
Haha I got you., no doubt
I'll be looking forward to this too.. though I think I only managed a few off the list from last year, but it's good to keep them coming!

Jolanta
Member Avatar
Christabel LaMotte
[ *  *  * ]
Michael Cunningham - ´The Hours´

500 more pages of Byatt would drive me crazy at the moment hence me reading the most natural choice after listening to the wonderful ´Mrs Dalloway´ play, and while waiting for my ordered books to arrive.

@Elie, will give ´So long a Letter´ and ´Nervous Conditions´ priority once I got them these days, extra for you :)

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A Naked Singularity - Sergio De La Pava

the guy's a wunderkind
if you loved Infinite Jest
this book is a kissin' cousin
if you loved The Recognitions and all things Pynchonesque
this here is also closely related

it'll be a fast read of a thickie

conebeckham
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Started Prague Cemetery yesterday, and loving it already....

sub-pet
Member Avatar
I have a pony
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
suzannahhh
Jun 1 2012, 10:47 AM
A Naked Singularity - Sergio De La Pava

the guy's a wunderkind
if you loved Infinite Jest
this book is a kissin' cousin
if you loved The Recognitions and all things Pynchonesque
this here is also closely related

it'll be a fast read of a thickie
oh cool. maybe i'll start it too.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Coetzee, Waiting for the Barbarians

A light read in between all those European heavy weights ;), started it yesterday in bed, but did not get far, I really do not have the time and energy to read anything besides university stuff...
Quote Post Goto Top

Elie
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
J.G. Ballard - The Atrocity Exhibition. This is a re-read but I have to say it's a lot harder work than I remembered, it has taken me 2 days to get to the 50 page mark and for comparison, when I'm on holiday I can easily read a book a day!

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Iain Banks: Canal Dreams.

My first Banks, and although it chugs along quite nicely, it's hardly top-notch stuff. Perhaps not his best?

roger
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I just started The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides, my first attempt at reading a book on my ipad. The glare is a bit distracting, I think I prefer the e-ink of my Kindle. I changed the background to sepia which seems to help. So far I'm enjoying the novel, my first one by Eugenides.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply