Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What book are you reading now?
Topic Started: Dec 3 2006, 09:07 PM (246,102 Views)
roger
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
After reading Morsons's book on Anna Karenina I feel prepared, inspired even, to start a long delayed re-read of War and Peace. I read the Maude version about 40 years ago and have read some P+V translations recently but I'm going with the newer Anthony Briggs after determining that he translates all the French passages within the text. 1382 pages rivaling recently read Clarissa in length. I'm also halfway through Scott's Journal, almost 1000 pages, but that's something to delve into here and there. Gargantuan-itis has set in.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Vollmann’s Europe Central is magnificent, novel as invocation. I could mention several points of reference as to other writers, ground and voices, but I don’t want to, the book matters to me so very much.

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Funhouse
Nov 7 2017, 06:01 AM
mandm
Nov 5 2017, 05:04 AM
Shakespeare, Henry VI Part I.
I taught this for several years, and what an utter delight it was. For me, it's right up there with Hamlet and Lear as amongst Shakespeare's masterpieces. This was when he finally discovered how to do history plays, with a liberal dose of invented characters, a wonderful parallel plot and neatly structured oppositions. Genius.
Oh wow, that's quite surprising. I enjoyed it but wasn't overwhelmed, either with the language or the pacing... it's not generally that well rated either, as I understand things. But teaching it must give you a much clearer insight into its qualities. Joan is vibrant, for sure, but I'm not 100% sold, as I say. I'll be reading parts II and III soon too: are they less good, then?

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Both Amis' The Second Plane (I have issues with), and Manuela Draega's moi, les mammouths, which is much like le deuxième Mickey.

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mandm
Nov 7 2017, 05:02 PM
Funhouse
mandm
I taught this for several years, and what an utter delight it was. For me, it's right up there with Hamlet and Lear as amongst Shakespeare's masterpieces. This was when he finally discovered how to do history plays, with a liberal dose of invented characters, a wonderful parallel plot and neatly structured oppositions. Genius.
Oh wow, that's quite surprising. I enjoyed it but wasn't overwhelmed, either with the language or the pacing... it's not generally that well rated either, as I understand things. But teaching it must give you a much clearer insight into its qualities. Joan is vibrant, for sure, but I'm not 100% sold, as I say. I'll be reading parts II and III soon too: are they less good, then?
Ha! Sloppy reading on my part, sorry. I misread Henry VI as Henry IV. I'm not such a fan of the Henry VI trilogy, although Part 1 (which was probably written last, as a prequel) is indeed interesting for Joan. Parts 2 and 3 have their moments, including the introduction of Richard of Gloucester, which had some lines good enough for Olivier to incorporate into the opening soliloquy in his Richard III film. And yeah, I think this was the period when Shakespeare still hadn't figured out how to do history plays (they were his first attempts), with too many characters and no clear structure.

Sorry for the confusion!

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Funhouse
Nov 7 2017, 05:22 PM
mandm
Nov 7 2017, 05:02 PM
Funhouse
mandm
Ha! Sloppy reading on my part, sorry. I misread Henry VI as Henry IV. I'm not such a fan of the Henry VI trilogy, although Part 1 (which was probably written last, as a prequel) is indeed interesting for Joan. Parts 2 and 3 have their moments, including the introduction of Richard of Gloucester, which had some lines good enough for Olivier to incorporate into the opening soliloquy in his Richard III film. And yeah, I think this was the period when Shakespeare still hadn't figured out how to do history plays (they were his first attempts), with too many characters and no clear structure.

Sorry for the confusion!
No worries, I didn't come out in a cold sweat or anything! I love Richard II, and need to read / see it again.

a0a0
Member Avatar
goidelic niggard
[ *  *  * ]
Reading biographies and Nibelungenlied.

Feeling kind of bad about literature atm. I think I'll stick with reading completely different things for the foreseeable future.

Myrddin
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Bad in what way?

a0a0
Member Avatar
goidelic niggard
[ *  *  * ]
Was reading Poetry, got lost and derived nothing from it, so I tried some Ancient literature and that didn't suit me either. I looked at all my other books sorted in to categories and I wasn't inclined to begin any. I don't really feel like reading anything at the moment, somehow. Biographies are easy to get through, though.

Myrddin
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
I often struggle with fiction (especially Literary) and revert/resort to non-fiction, any type. Don't really have the patience for poetry, very slowly listening to and reading Paradise Lost at the moment, which is unusual for me.

a0a0
Member Avatar
goidelic niggard
[ *  *  * ]
Well, I'll probably just have to get over it after a while.

Myrddin
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
My reader's block is persistent but intermittent, hope yours clears soon.

Heteronym
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
David Musgrave's Grotesque Anatomies: Menippean Satire since the Renaissance. So far so good; an excellent first chapter about the difficulty of defining Menippean satire, plus Frye and Bakhtin; lots of data on ancient Menippean satire, covering stuff from Lucian to the Middle Ages, with lots of lists of unknown works; now moving on to an analysis of noses in Midnight's Children.

Bloß ein Língshān
Member Avatar
Tropften Fingernägel
[ *  *  * ]
Looks like a lot of people are reading NF at the moment. I was going to start

Stockhausens Zyklus LICHT https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3412505773/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_106?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3TJVJMBQL014A

Conversations with Iannis Xenakis https://www.amazon.com/Conversations-Iannis-Xenakis-Various-Varga/dp/0571179592/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0571179592&pd_rd_r=KY9H1SST1MK0KW2KG7FD&pd_rd_w=uiL2T&pd_rd_wg=W94vb&psc=1&refRID=KY9H1SST1MK0KW2KG7FD

And something by Toru Takemitsu.

Didi
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
^did you ever end up reading Arvo's book ?

Bloß ein Língshān
Member Avatar
Tropften Fingernägel
[ *  *  * ]
No, I'm guessing some graduate student is hoarding it. It's been checked out forever.

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm engrossed in a lovely piece of non-fiction
The Time Before History: 5 Million Years of Human Impact - Colin Tudge
it's a beautifully clear presentation
of earth science
the causes and effects of various changes
in the earth herself:
(caused by currents (air and water),
chemical comp of atmosphere,
plate tectonics,
angle of inclination
orbital shape changes
precession
over time
ice
sea levels
as well as external to the earth causes of change
lots of history of the various earth sciences included

this all as a prelude to a discussion of evolution
Darwinian
Darwin as mis/interpreted by his contemps
Neo-darwinianism (genetics folded in)
I'm just to the place where he's beginning
to discussion the appearance of the Primate family

I highly recommend this
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Sharon}}}}}}}}}}}}}} I think you'd like it!

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Colin Tudge of the "...Trees" book, {{{{{{Suz}}}}}}? i'll definitely have a look, I have a stack of Earth Sciences waiting to be read; Brexit and May derailed my studies and sent them elsewhere. next year I should be back on track.

Bloß ein Língshān
Member Avatar
Tropften Fingernägel
[ *  *  * ]
suzannahhh
Nov 9 2017, 12:04 PM
I'm engrossed in a lovely piece of non-fiction
The Time Before History: 5 Million Years of Human Impact - Colin Tudge
it's a beautifully clear presentation
of earth science
the causes and effects of various changes
in the earth herself:
(caused by currents (air and water),
chemical comp of atmosphere,
plate tectonics,
angle of inclination
orbital shape changes
precession
over time
ice
sea levels
as well as external to the earth causes of change
lots of history of the various earth sciences included

this all as a prelude to a discussion of evolution
Darwinian
Darwin as mis/interpreted by his contemps
Neo-darwinianism (genetics folded in)
I'm just to the place where he's beginning
to discussion the appearance of the Primate family

I highly recommend this
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Sharon}}}}}}}}}}}}}} I think you'd like it!

And here's America... the ---only--- country in America not to sign the Paris Deal...

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Rosa Yassin Hassan: 'Les gardiens de l'air' / 'Guardians of the Air' (tr. Emmanuel Varlet).

From Wiki:

a Syrian novelist and writer. She was born in Damascus in 1974 and studied architecture at university. Upon graduation in 1998, she worked as a journalist, writing for various Syrian and Arabic periodicals. Her first published book was a collection of short stories, published in 2000 under the title A Sky Tainted with Light. She has also written a number of novels, starting with Ebony (2004) which won the Hanna Mina Prize. Her third novel Hurras al-Hawa (Guardians of the Air, 2009) was longlisted for the Arabic Booker Prize.

In 2009, Hassan was chosen as one of the Beirut39, a group of 39 Arab writers under the age of 40 chosen through a contest organised by Banipal magazine and the Hay Festival.

The novel is good enough in its way, with touching characters and descriptions of regime horrors and human rights abuses. As such, it's not necessarily a genre I immediately connect with. But she is very engaging as a person and is now living in Germany, as I think her work as an author has made her a target of those who dislike her tabboo-breaking subject matter (women's sexuality, infidelity, the questioning of religious orhtodoxy).

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply