Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Book Covers; Something to judge them by?
Topic Started: May 23 2007, 06:49 AM (22,940 Views)
Bloß ein Língshān
Member Avatar
Tropften Fingernägel
[ *  *  * ]
Are you being sarcastic...?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
not quite. I guess they project a certain kind of self-regard that's what's been the subject of these books as well. So yea, it could be looked at as ridiculous posturing but there is more to it than that I think, because he had been able to pull off a ridiculous premise for a book into an amazing reading experience.

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Not just covers

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Story Behind the Most Haunting Book Cover on the Shelves

Cleanthes
Member Avatar
Dinanukht wannabe
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Via Kindle Cover Disasters. Possibly the worst cover ever. Warning, NSFW.
Edited by Cleanthes, Jan 10 2018, 06:53 PM.

Myrddin
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
I remember as a child being in the city with my parents and a number of bookshops, possibly all of them, having prominent displays of books with a strange "monster" face which I found deeply haunting. I was very much into Fantasy so was immediately drawn to it. Then as the nineties rolled on and aliens became ubiquitous I realised I'd seen a book with a "grey" on the cover. A few years ago I discovered it was Whitley Streiber's Communion:

Posted Image

I remember the books as just having the image and no text or border, which I'd never seen before and it made the face seem much more important and affecting. Looking at it now, it's a not a great painting, though an effective cover and one that still retains a little of the power it had on me as a child.

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Myrddin
Jan 11 2018, 03:27 AM
I remember as a child being in the city with my parents and a number of bookshops, possibly all of them, having prominent displays of books with a strange "monster" face which I found deeply haunting. I was very much into Fantasy so was immediately drawn to it. Then as the nineties rolled on and aliens became ubiquitous I realised I'd seen a book with a "grey" on the cover. A few years ago I discovered it was Whitley Streiber's Communion:

Posted Image

I remember the books as just having the image and no text or border, which I'd never seen before and it made the face seem much more important and affecting. Looking at it now, it's a not a great painting, though an effective cover and one that still retains a little of the power it had on me as a child.
Thanks for this: I read the book when young, but had completely forgotten about it.

jes
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
I'll judge a cover on it's own merit. I'm a sucker for those penguin modern classic editions

Posted Image Posted Image

and Bruce Mau's work with Zone Books. They'll let him do interesting interior design too,

Posted Image

jes
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
The old Roy Kulhman covers at Grove Press

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Edited by jes, Jan 11 2018, 05:30 PM.

jes
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
His wife, Gilda Hannah, was a great designer as well. She did that cover of Borges' Labyrinths that everyone on this forum has probably seen.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

There are some great children's book covers out there too and comics.

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Virginia Woolf book covers.

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mandm
Jan 28 2018, 02:36 PM
I love the original Hogarth designs by Vanessa Bell. I have Hogarth editions of Mrs Dalloway and Three Guineas. My other Woolfs are a mix of Penguin, Oxford and Vintage Classics.

Those Wordsworth Classics covers with the flappers are horrendous. Bleurgh.

Posted Image

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I talked about book covers a bit in my account of meeting Gerald Murnane (see authread if you missed it), who had very strong opinions on his covers, so just for reference here: he hates the local cover of his new book Border Districts:

Posted Image

And thinks the American cover is the best one ever for any of his books:

Posted Image

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Funhouse
Jan 29 2018, 06:00 AM
mandm
Jan 28 2018, 02:36 PM
I love the original Hogarth designs by Vanessa Bell. I have Hogarth editions of Mrs Dalloway and Three Guineas. My other Woolfs are a mix of Penguin, Oxford and Vintage Classics.

Those Wordsworth Classics covers with the flappers are horrendous. Bleurgh.

Posted Image
Totally agree, they are hideous.

Your comment about having a mixture of editions for one author leads me to ask whether anyone is uptight about that? I'm not, but I know people who will always insist on having the same edition for all the works of a given author.

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Not too keen on this either.

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mandm
Jan 29 2018, 12:09 PM

Your comment about having a mixture of editions for one author leads me to ask whether anyone is uptight about that? I'm not, but I know people who will always insist on having the same edition for all the works of a given author.
I tend not to plan these things out: my books get collected piecemeal with whatever happens to be available. I've never bought an author's whole back catalogue together or anything. I think I'd feel suspicious of someone having lots of matching editions: it would feel a bit fake or something.

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
True enough. Decoration over content.

Posted Image

Does this work?

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's the Roald Dahl-y cover work I don't think works for Carter's novels.

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mandm
Jan 30 2018, 04:07 PM
That's the Roald Dahl-y cover work I don't think works for Carter's novels.
Yeah, I initially thought Quentin Blake for that cover (although he would have done it better). I don't think it works, either.

mandm
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's a cheap copy of his style.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply