Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What have you just bought?; Well?
Topic Started: Aug 12 2007, 12:17 PM (158,603 Views)
Myrddin
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Anthony Burgess Shakespeare bought as a joke by a friend who knows I love Burgess but am agnostic on the Bard and against "biographies" of him. Have had a flip through and already spotted a couple of things I take issue with.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
reading has been constrained by other circumstances, so so too acquisition, but as I attended a bookstore booklaunch for Christine Angot, Incest (Tess Lewis) [archipelago], {signed} thought I'd gather a few other things as well:
Jenny Erpenbeck, Go, Went, Gone (Susan Bernofsky) [NDP]
B.S. Johnson, House Mother Normal [NDP]
Robert Desnos, Essential Poems and Writings (Mary Ann Caws ed and et al) [Black Widow]
Nicanor Parra, Antipoems: How to look better and feel great (Liz Werner) [NDP]
Bae Suah, North Station (Deborah Smith) [Open Letter]
Percival Everett, So Much Blue [Graywolf]
Tarjei Vesaas, The Birds (Torbjørn Støverud, Michael Barnes) [archipelago]
Wolfgang Hilbig, Old Rendering Plant (Isabel Fargo Cole) [Two Lines]

currently in Kafka's diaries 1914-1923 (Martin Greenberg w/ Hannah Arendt) [schocken], another Renaissance pick-up (as was Golding, Roethke, Toomer ...)

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Concept of Law, H L A Hart

The Kingdom and the Glory: For a Theological Genealogy of Economy and Government, Agamben

The House of Government: A Saga of the Russian Revolution, Yuri Sleskine. I ummed and ahhed about this, but bought it after reading the LRB review, which was itself intrigued, intriguing.

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Housing Works supplied poetry I didn't even know I was looking for (and my very first senior citizen discount, ouch):
Virginia Hamilton Adair, Living on Fire: a collection of poems [RandomHouse] previously, downscroll
Guiseppe Gioachino Belli, Sonnets (Mike Stocks) [Oneworld] something to follow on Burgess' ABBA2 & Peter Dale's Strine
Yu Jian, Flash Cards (Wang Ping & Ron Padgett) [Zenith]

Cleanthes
Member Avatar
Dinanukht wannabe
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
nnyhav
Nov 23 2017, 12:25 AM
Housing Works supplied poetry I didn't even know I was looking for (and my very first senior citizen discount, ouch):
Virginia Hamilton Adair, Living on Fire: a collection of poems [RandomHouse] previously, downscroll
Guiseppe Gioachino Belli, Sonnets (Mike Stocks) [Oneworld] something to follow on Burgess' ABBA2 & Peter Dale's Strine
Yu Jian, Flash Cards (Wang Ping & Ron Padgett) [Zenith]
Books are not meant for good Christians
Children, for goodness' sake, don't read them!
Edited by Cleanthes, Nov 23 2017, 09:39 AM.

a0a0
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Ordered Wagner's Ring Cycle and the Greeks by Daniel H. Foster.

I've read parts of Das Niebelungenlied, which might help. I haven't read Volsunga saga, though, only the prose Edda.

But as the book suggests, there was a deep inspiration stemming from ancient Greek culture.

johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
making bets on kentucky derby day
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The World Goes on, Krasznahorkai (on tuesday hopefully)
Ultra-luminous and Young God, Katherine Faw (sometimes Faw-Morris)....

I want that Goetz novel, Insane....why not available in book form until next year..I may use my wife's Kindle, I've held out for so long.... (as it's available on there now...damn you, fuckers! the translator Adrian Nathan West is a very nice guy too, currently working on translating Herman Burger...)...

"you need to quit buying books...it's christmas season..." me: in my head: "I didn't hear that..."

jes
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Found some great looking books recently: Lev Shestov's Postestas Clavium, E.A. Speiser's Genesis Yale Anchor Bible commentary, Jacob Burckhardt's The Age of Constantine The Great, Christianity in Jewish Terms edited by Tikva Frymer-Kensky, Nietzsche's Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks, and Vladimir Solovyov's War, Progress, and the End of History

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
jes
Dec 3 2017, 08:21 PM
Found some great looking books recently: Lev Shestov's Postestas Clavium, E.A. Speiser's Genesis Yale Anchor Bible commentary, Jacob Burckhardt's The Age of Constantine The Great, Christianity in Jewish Terms edited by Tikva Frymer-Kensky, Nietzsche's Philosophy in the Tragic Age of the Greeks, and Vladimir Solovyov's War, Progress, and the End of History
wow
wide ranging
have a great time with them!

Jacek
Member Avatar
a watery down
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes, wow, jes, and thank you. I'll be investigating those.
Edited by Jacek, Dec 4 2017, 08:15 AM.

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The World Goes on, Krasznahorkai
arrived today
a beautifully produced book
and I've read the first chapter/essay/whatever you call it
and it's brilliant

a0a0
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Virgil Volume I: Eclogues, Georgics and Aeneid Books 1-6/ Fairclough/ Harvard/ Loeb Classical Library

Will probably get Herodotus for Christmas.

Simultaneously still reading the bible.

Myrddin
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Cold Hand in Mine Robert Aickman
The Female ManJoanna Russ
A Book for Her Bridget Christie
Animal Money Michael Cisco
The Man Who Loved Children Christian Stead
The Secret History of Twin Peaks Chris Carter

Myrddin
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Other Minds: The Octopus and the Evolution of Intelligent Life Peter Godfrey Smith

a0a0
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
I have purchased W. B. Yeats and the Muses by Joseph M. Hassett and will read it after Balzac.

Cleanthes
Member Avatar
Dinanukht wannabe
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Régis Jauffret's Microfictions 2018. 500 short short stories (a page or two in length) about every topic under the sun.

Myrddin
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
The Black Wings of Cthulhu volumes 1 and 2
The Croning Laird Barron
The Mammoth Book of Cthulhu
The Madness of Cthulhu
Finnegans Wake
Speedboat Renata Adler

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Plains - Gerald Murnane

(to give a friend for his birthday)

Jacek
Member Avatar
a watery down
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Grove's Collected Beckett and the first four volumes of LoA Faulkner + Knight's Gambit (for all of which thank you again {{{ Sharon }}} !). My cousin in Poland has also put a package containing eleven Jerzy Andrzejewski volumes in the mail for me, all his fiction from 1954 on plus his diaries (or late selections thereof, will find out when it arrives!). I've been eager to read him since Steven found The Gates of Paradise. It'd be great if I like some of them enough to translate, also - I've been eager to get back to translating after my first taste, a tempestuous run at turning Le Guin's She Unnames Them into Chinese, together with my wife, tempestuous because she doesn't like Le Guin... other recent acquisitions include A Room with a View and Howards End, everything available in English of Robert Musil's, and Charterhouse of Parma. Oh, and a Delphi Classics ebook of the complete Rudyard Kipling, who between Cleanthes and Le Guin has become deeply attractive. Will print & read in order, as I intend to with the out-of-print (which is to say the vast majority of) Ford Madox Ford. But still haven't decided yet whether my next "Jacek" will be FMF, or Mann in translation. Just today I read his wonderful early story Fallen, written when he was 19.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My Opposition: The Diary of Friedrich Kellner - A German against the Third Reich, (trans. by Robert Scott Kellner)

I’ve only read around Polyani, Boltanski/Chiapello having give me a nudge, I bought

The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time

Albert O. Hirschman’s The Passions and the Interests: Political Arguments for Capitalism before Its Triumph (Princeton Classics)

A (paperback) copy of Samuel Beckett’s Library...i’m tough on books, and shouldn’t want to have to replace the now egregiously expensive hardback.

Josef Winkler’s Graveyard of Bitter Oranges (trans. Adrian Nathan West)

Sharov’s The Rehearsals (trans. Oliver Ready)

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply