Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Title on the Horizon
Topic Started: Aug 24 2007, 09:54 AM (27,736 Views)
WilliamTwellman
Member Avatar
skull-walker
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
what new books are people looking forward too that are being released in the next few months? I saw that Barth has a new one but it looks pretty meh. Dennis Johnson Tree of Smoke looks like it might be worth it. There's Theroux's Laura Sexaholic or whatever. what else?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pointsman
Member Avatar
A pessimist is never disappointed
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
New translation of War & Peace. November, isn't it?

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
WilliamTwellman
Aug 24 2007, 09:54 AM
I saw that Barth has a new one but it looks pretty meh.

Really? I haven't heard anything about this. You don't have any links or anything do you? Do you remember where you read about it?

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
WilliamTwellman
Aug 24 2007, 10:54 AM
what new books are people looking forward too that are being released in the next few months? I saw that Barth has a new one but it looks pretty meh. Dennis Johnson Tree of Smoke looks like it might be worth it. There's Theroux's Laura Sexaholic or whatever. what else?

Coming Soon!!! already came..

Mudfrost
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Pointsman
Aug 24 2007, 10:02 AM

Very much looking forward to this one! October 16th.

Posted Image

Link here.

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
From a survey of upcoming titles in The Guardian.

The following ones interest me:

Philip Roth, Exit Ghost
Jonathan Cape £16.99, 6 October

The haunting title, a stage direction from Hamlet, seems to say it all. Philip Roth's first Nathan Zuckerman novel, The Ghost Writer, was published in 1979; now, almost three decades later and after a series that has encompassed such breathtaking works as American Pastoral and The Human Stain, Roth's alter ego makes what sounds very much like his final appearance. This time, Zuckerman returns to New York after 10 years' seclusion on an isolated mountainside and, almost immediately, finds himself sucked into the worldliness from which he has been in flight. Revolving around encounters with a beautiful but fading woman, once the muse of Roth's mentor, the now dead EI Lonoff, a young couple keen to escape post-9/11 Manhattan and a rapacious literary biographer, Exit Ghost conjures a man raging against the dying of the light, in a characteristically Rothian meditation on the nature of artistic endeavour, creative rivalry, inspiration and, naturally, the imminence of the end.

Zadie Smith (editor), The Book Of Other People
Hamish Hamilton £16.99, 1 November

Anthologies of new fiction brought together under the editorship of a practising novelist can often suffer from diverse voices being yoked to one another under the aegis of an ill-defined or constricting manifesto. Zadie Smith makes it clear that this is the last thing she wanted; although she asked her charges to write a story named for, and based on, one fictional character, her aim was not to impose any other rules. The likes of David Mitchell, Nick Hornby, AM Homes and Aleksandr Hemon duly complied. Also here is Smith's regular artistic sidekick Dave Eggers, whose creative-writing charity 826NYC is the book's beneficiary.

Jeanette Winterson, The Stone Gods
(Hamish Hamilton £16.99) 27 Sept

Polemical 'interplanetary' love story in which humans and robots plan to inhabit a fresh, new planet, having destroyed their own.

Also, Ondaatje's Divisadero, but that's already been published here, and I have a copy.

WilliamTwellman
Member Avatar
skull-walker
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
old steadfast american writer stars need to shut the fuck up about 9/11... just saying.

SeizureToday
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Michael Chabon has the book-form of his "New York Times Magazine" serial, "Gentlemen on the Road" coming out in October. It's the 30th, I think. I read the first few sections on microfilm. Adventure packed.

Which is the same day as "Against the Day" is released in paperback...according to Amazon.com.

Tatzelwurm
Member Avatar
Gran madrugador y amigo de la caza
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Enchantress of Florence

by Salman Rushdie

Quote:

Synopsis
A tall, yellow-haired young European traveller calling himself 'Mogor dell'Amore', the Mughal of Love, arrives at the court of the real Grand Mughal, the Emperor Akbar, with a tale to tell that begins to obsess the whole imperial capital. The stranger claims to be the child of a lost Mughal princess, the youngest sister of Akbar's grandfather Babar: Qara Koz, 'Lady Black Eyes', a great beauty believed to possess powers of enchantment and sorcery, who is taken captive first by an Uzbek warlord, then by the Shah of Persia, and finally becomes the lover of a certain Argalia, a Florentine soldier of fortune, commander of the armies of the Ottoman Sultan. When Argalia returns home with his Mughal mistress the city is mesmerized by her presence, and much trouble ensues."The Enchantress of Florence" is the story of a woman attempting to command her own destiny in a man's world. It brings together two cities that barely know each other - the hedonistic Mughal capital, in which the brilliant emperor wrestles daily with questions of belief, desire and the treachery of sons, and the equally sensual Florentine world of powerful courtesans, humanist philosophy and inhuman torture, where Argalia's boyhood friend "il Machia" - Niccolo Machiavelli - is learning, the hard way, about the true brutality of power. These two worlds, so far apart, turn out to be uncannily alike, and the enchantments of women hold sway over them both. But is Mogor's story true? And if so, then what happened to the lost princess? And if he's a liar, must he die?

WilliamTwellman
Member Avatar
skull-walker
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
*snores

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tatzelwurm
Sep 1 2007, 12:15 PM

by Salman Rushdie

Quote:

Synopsis
A tall, yellow-haired young European traveller calling himself 'Mogor dell'Amore', the Mughal of Love, arrives at the court of the real Grand Mughal, the Emperor Akbar, with a tale to tell that begins to obsess the whole imperial capital. The stranger claims to be the child of a lost Mughal princess, the youngest sister of Akbar's grandfather Babar: Qara Koz, 'Lady Black Eyes', a great beauty believed to possess powers of enchantment and sorcery, who is taken captive first by an Uzbek warlord, then by the Shah of Persia, and finally becomes the lover of a certain Argalia, a Florentine soldier of fortune, commander of the armies of the Ottoman Sultan. When Argalia returns home with his Mughal mistress the city is mesmerized by her presence, and much trouble ensues."The Enchantress of Florence" is the story of a woman attempting to command her own destiny in a man's world. It brings together two cities that barely know each other - the hedonistic Mughal capital, in which the brilliant emperor wrestles daily with questions of belief, desire and the treachery of sons, and the equally sensual Florentine world of powerful courtesans, humanist philosophy and inhuman torture, where Argalia

Well, I'm always excited by new Rushdie. Check out the Rushdie thread for further comments.

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll eventually buy the new rushdie
and quirte likely
any other ones he comes out with

that's the thing
there are certain authors
if they have written one book I really love
then I'm likely to buy any others
even if the next ones are nowhere near as good
as the one that attracted me.

That's kinda my rushdie exoperience

I readf Satanic Verses firstthought it was "near'fine"
so I moved back to Midnight's Children
and really loved it.

and the others I've tried since
buying them loyally
but not yetfinding reason to read all the way
to the end

I do this with Eco's books too
on the strength of NOTR and FP

you see
it means a lot to me
if someone writes just ONE SPLENDID BOOK
I am willing to support them
even if no one splendid book comes out of them
to write just one
wouldn't that be
highly happly satisfying??????

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Funhouse
Sep 1 2007, 09:02 PM
Tatzelwurm
Sep 1 2007, 12:15 PM

by Salman Rushdie

Quote:

Synopsis
A tall, yellow-haired young European traveller calling himself 'Mogor dell'Amore', the Mughal of Love, arrives at the court of the real Grand Mughal, the Emperor Akbar, with a tale to tell that begins to obsess the whole imperial capital. The stranger claims to be the child of a lost Mughal princess, the youngest sister of Akbar's grandfather Babar: Qara Koz, 'Lady Black Eyes', a great beauty believed to possess powers of enchantment and sorcery, who is taken captive first by an Uzbek warlord, then by the Shah of Persia, and finally becomes the lover of a certain Argalia, a Florentine soldier of fortune, commander of the armies of the Ottoman Sultan. When Argalia returns home with his Mughal mistress the city is mesmerized by her presence, and much trouble ensues."The Enchantress of Florence" is the story of a woman attempting to command her own destiny in a man's world. It brings together two cities that barely know each other - the hedonistic Mughal capital, in which the brilliant emperor wrestles daily with questions of belief, desire and the treachery of sons, and the equally sensual Florentine world of powerful courtesans, humanist philosophy and inhuman torture, where Argalia

Well, I'm always excited by new Rushdie. Check out the Rushdie thread for further comments.

hmm :huh:

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tatzel: Where did you get that Rushdie blurb?

Tatzelwurm
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kline: it is here. And the funny thing is, it's incomplete.

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yea, i googled it earlier. i wonder if it is a hoax? <_<

Tatzelwurm
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
No, it's real. Rushdie has been speaking about a novel set in the Renaissance Italy for quite a time.

Pointsman
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mudfrost
Aug 25 2007, 05:05 PM
Pointsman
Aug 24 2007, 10:02 AM

Very much looking forward to this one! October 16th.

Posted Image

The Dog's Bollocks :-

An excerpt from the new P & V translation of War & Peace : Here!!!

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
you ARE on point, Pointsman!

I've only read the first few pages
and
it is deeeeeelicious!

Pointsman
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Prince Andrei understood that it had been said about him, and that it was Napoleon speaking. He heard the man who had said these words being addressed as sire. But he heard these words as if he was hearing the buzzing of a fly. He not only was not interested, he did not even notice, and at once forgot them. He had a burning in his head; he felt that he was losing blood, and he saw above him that distant, lofty, and eternal sky. He knew that it was Napoleon—his hero—but at that moment, Napoleon seemed to him such a small, insignificant man compared with what was now happening between his soul and this lofty, infinite sky with clouds racing across it.

[Collapses to the floor in catatonic glee]

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply